• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel is definitely guilty of excessive renumbering, but I don't see how the ANAD books are that drastically different from those of the last couple relaunches.

DC Rebirth, on the other hand, is unambiguously being sold as a 180-degree shift from the "story > continuity" DC You relaunch, which itself was only a year ago. Maybe it'll work out and maybe it won't - lord knows I'm not optimistic as long as the current editorial team is in place - but the rapid shift in direction looks pretty desperate and cynical from the outside.

I'm sure it'll boost their sales in the short term, and I'm sure we'll get a number of good comics out of it, but I don't think it'll fix DC's underlying problems.

But my whole point is that DCYou was, largely, an effort to diversify their lineup. You countered by saying that that wasn't really true, they were just chasing the kind of zany and light books that were popular at that moment. I responded by pointing out all the books that weren't really comedic and zany. Now you turn around and try to say a) that they are and b) that that doesn't really matter and why am I getting hung up on the words you used when really it's your whole thesis?

I think it's pretty clear that there was a plan with the DCYou, it's just that as far as consumers were concerned, it wasn't something they were interested in. Or at least not something they were interested in buying. So they changed plans, and now we've got Rebirth.

I wasn't saying they weren't trying to expand their audience, I just think a large part of their expansion was just a reaction. Then instead of going at it with some kind of plan they used the line "Story over continuity" to really ignore the need for a plan. Sure they had an idea but I don't think they really had any real plan because it was all out of reaction. I just picked comedic and zany because that seemed in large part what the reaction was to. They tried other stuff and definitely tried to diversify but that seemed more like an attempt to please the fans they had while picking up new with the wider approach.

I think we're getting caught up on just what we consider a vision and a plan, the stuff about comedy and zany is just getting in the way of the actual point. DCYou just seemed like an idea spawned off a reaction. Even the name is just about on the levels of Wii U. I don't think it was a plan, I don't think it was a vision and now with Rebirth they seem to have some kind of plan but looking at how their books have wrapped up and headed it largely seems like it wasn't built off of any kind of plan or vision but more like a reaction to DCYou not working.

All I'm getting at is that all these things added up seem very directionless overall. DC just seems like they're chasing Marvel a lot of times and I don't think that's what DC needs or even should be.

TheFlow

Banned
Marvel is definitely guilty of excessive renumbering, but I don't see how the ANAD books are that drastically different from those of the last couple relaunches.

DC Rebirth, on the other hand, is unambiguously being sold as a 180-degree shift from the "story > continuity" DC You relaunch, which itself was only a year ago. Maybe it'll work out and maybe it won't - lord knows I'm not optimistic as long as the current editorial team is in place - but the rapid shift in direction looks pretty desperate and cynical from the outside.

I'm sure it'll boost their sales in the short term, and I'm sure we'll get a number of good comics out of it, but I don't think it'll fix DC's underlying problems.
Was DC You really a relaunch. they just put out some more new books and changed the looks of some of the characters

Was DC You really a relaunch. they just put out some more new books and changed the looks of some of the characters

It was definitely billed as a soft relaunch. All the big titles had a shake up(Truth, Batbot, goddess of war), a lot of new books and the whole idea of story over continuity. A lot of their books weren't really affected but it was more of their said approach at that time. It was also touted as a jumping on point, which is where I jumped back into comics.

I mean, you can call it desperate and cynical if you want, and I love a lot of the DCYou books, but the simple fact of the matter is that with very few exceptions those books weren't selling. Like, at all. So, they try and reorient, get everybody on the same page.

DC's biggest problem atm seems to be that they're not Marvel; namely, that they're not putting out Star Wars books, which seems guaranteed to get >75k per issue no matter what.

I wasn't saying they weren't trying to expand their audience, I just think a large part of their expansion was just a reaction. Then instead of going at it with some kind of plan they used the line "Story over continuity" to really ignore the need for a plan. Sure they had an idea but I don't think they really had any real plan because it was all out of reaction. I just picked comedic and zany because that seemed in large part what the reaction was to. They tried other stuff and definitely tried to diversify but that seemed more like an attempt to please the fans they had while picking up new with the wider approach.

I think we're getting caught up on just what we consider a vision and a plan, the stuff about comedy and zany is just getting in the way of the actual point. DCYou just seemed like an idea spawned off a reaction. Even the name is just about on the levels of Wii U. I don't think it was a plan, I don't think it was a vision and now with Rebirth they seem to have some kind of plan but looking at how their books have wrapped up and headed it largely seems like it wasn't built off of any kind of plan or vision but more like a reaction to DCYou not working.

All I'm getting at is that all these things added up seem very directionless overall. DC just seems like they're chasing Marvel a lot of times and I don't think that's what DC needs or even should be.

I dunno. Creator driven continuity and increased line diversity seems like an actual vision to me. They abandoned it because, again, it didn't sell worth a damn, but it was a plan. A direction. Now they're trying a different direction. Hopefully people will buy in to this one.

TheFlow

Banned
It was definitely billed as a soft relaunch. All the big titles had a shake up(Truth, Batbot, goddess of war), a lot of new books and the whole idea of story over continuity. A lot of their books weren't really affected but it was more of their said approach at that time. It was also touted as a jumping on point, which is where I jumped back into comics.

ah gotcha. and to comment on the continuity part. We don't know how much DC is going to retcon yet.

we might as well just wait till next week to see how they handle things

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
edited. but please stop trolling in a DC thread

#1 issue talk aside (since I forgot Marvel has been doing that a lot lately) there was zero troll in my post. I feel like DC has bad leadership and a lack of vision for their product. Very reactionary in their approach.

I dunno. Creator driven continuity and increased line diversity seems like an actual vision to me. They abandoned it because, again, it didn't sell worth a damn, but it was a plan. A direction. Now they're trying a different direction. Hopefully people will buy in to this one.

I feel like this could go on for hours, but honestly I think their "creator driven" was basically "Pitch us something and if we like it we'll decide on a mini or a pick up". Some was mini some didn't work.

Their approach to Rebirth seems more creator driven with them going out and signing talent and reworking the teams. That's the one drive I see them having going into rebirth. It may spawn off a reaction(in my opinion) but it could still head in a great direction.

Finally got around to adding the August solicits, for those interested.

#1 issue talk aside (since I forgot Marvel has been doing that a lot lately) there was zero troll in my post. I feel like DC has bad leadership and a lack of vision for their product. Very reactionary in their approach.

And the thing that prompted this revelation is the logo?

lol

I feel like this could go on for hours, but honestly I think their "creator driven" was basically "Pitch us something and if we like it we'll decide on a mini or a pick up". Some was mini some didn't work.

Their approach to Rebirth seems more creator driven with them going out and signing talent and reworking the teams. That's the one drive I see them having going into rebirth. It may spawn off a reaction(in my opinion) but it could still head in a great direction.

That is creator driven, tho :p

See, the thing that really bugs me is that the DCYou headed in a great direction. We got some GOAT tier shit out of that. But NOBODY BOUGHT IT. So what are they supposed to do?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

lol

Wow, your rushed reactions mimic DC's editorial decisions!

This is my opinion on the new 52, rebirth, their movies and their new logo. I hadnt posted about it before, so I did it now.

Finally got around to adding the August solicits, for those interested.

lol

That is creator driven, tho :p

See, the thing that really bugs me is that the DCYou headed in a great direction. We got some GOAT tier shit out of that. But NOBODY BOUGHT IT. So what are they supposed to do?

"Sad" thing is I completely agree. Even some of the comedic stuff I really liked. I really liked that Bizarro book.

Wow, your rushed reactions mimic DC's editorial decisions!

This is my opinion on the new 52, rebirth, their movies and their new logo. I hadnt posted about it before, so I did it now.

See, you'll have to excuse my confusion, because you brought it up regarding the logo. So it really looked like you were talking about how DC is desperate and "sad" because you don't like their choice in fonts. Personally, I gotta say, I'm actually reading the stuff they publish, and I'm pretty happy with a lot of it. So I guess I'll just disagree.

"Sad" thing is I completely agree. Even some of the comedic stuff I really liked. I really liked that Bizarro book.

Bizarro actually was always just a mini. Ditto Bat-Mite. But yeah, it's still a bummer nobody bought 'em :/

This thread was good for three months and went to shit in 3 hours.

Compare/contrast this thread pre logo and post logo... clearly it really is The Worst Thing.

I don't know how much you know about DC culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are yada yada yada, if DC knows what's good for them they'll retract their logo.

My post was never really meant to be anti dc or anti dc you. I've loved a whole lot of DC You, I was just jumping off the logo and a post about it into my general feel about DC. Didn't mean to bring down the thread. :/

And Midnighter! The best books no one bought

Ya damn right

Frankly it's a minor miracle they've lasted as long as they have. I still take credit for saving The Omega Men.

Hey, how about that Vertigo relaunch. Clean Room, sheriff's of Babylon? Anyone?

Sheriff of Babylon is fire. Haven't read The Clean Room.

Looking forward to Young Animal, which seems like some old-school Vertigo shit.

Ross61

Gonna takes some getting used to the new logo. But I kinda like it. And everyone will definitely either like or not care at all in a month's time.

I mean, you can call it desperate and cynical if you want, and I love a lot of the DCYou books, but the simple fact of the matter is that with very few exceptions those books weren't selling. Like, at all. So, they try and reorient, get everybody on the same page.

Agree to disagree, I guess. The pursuit of creator-driven diversity is an admirable goal, and some of the DC You books were quite good, but it always seemed more like a reaction to the success of other publishers (and DC's own Batman line, to be fair) at broadening their audience than something DC was wholeheartedly committed to on an editorial/executive level - witness their promise of 12 issues for every book, and their subsequent retreat from it.

Even if some reaction to the abject failure of DC You was warranted, the sheer rapidity and scale of their 180-degree turn leads me to think that Rebirth is more a reaction to the failure of last year's relaunch than the product of any sort of well-thought-out guiding vision for the DCU.

I will concede that they haven't done too bad a job of marketing Rebirth as the product of a cohesive vision (though exactly what that vision is will remain less than clear until the Rebirth one-shot next week), but that was also true of the New 52 initially. And we all know that once those books came out, it very quickly became clear that it was a reboot slapped together on the fly, with no guiding vision as to what should remain in continuity, what the definitive take on a character should be, or how the books would fit together.

Rebirth is unlikely to be quite as much of a clusterfuck, simply because it's mostly a continuation of the current continuity rather than a re-reboot or un-reboot, but DC's track record doesn't exactly fill me with optimism.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
More Rebirth Variant comics
WWREB_Cv1var.jpg

Damn thats a sexy wonder woman.
Is that a Stanley Lau piece...on a really shitty screen right now so cant really see the signature clearly.

Anyone have a higher resolution version of that picture.
I needs my wonder woman fix.

Almost changed to this Wonder Woman:
KL4NfWJ.jpg

Ross61

Personally, I don't see that it being a reaction to recent failures is a actually bad thing. If this reaction comes with a long term plan and succeeds, then whats the issue?

Personally, I don't see that it being a reaction to recent failures is a actually bad thing. If this reaction comes with a long term plan and succeeds, then whats the issue?

If I thought they actually had a long-term plan that they were committed to, I wouldn't accuse Rebirth of being cynical and desperate in the first place.

Ross61

If I thought they actually had a long-term plan that they were committed to, I wouldn't accuse Rebirth of being cynical and desperate in the first place.

I thought it got leaked out that they had a long term plan. Rich was the first to say it, then Didio clarified.

instead of being that angry old man just wait for the books to come out

You don't have to be an angry old man to see that DC is under the gun and has no long term plan.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you see some heads roll in upper management if this isn't successful.

Almost half of Marvel's market share and Batman as your only consistently top 10 ongoing ain't gonna cut it much longer.

TheFlow

Banned
I have officially ended this war.

I'll take payment in donuts. Money is cool to.

I like this.

You don't have to be an angry old man to see that DC is under the gun and has no long term plan.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you see some heads roll in upper management if this isn't successful.

Almost half of Marvel's market share and Batman as your only consistently top 10 ongoing ain't gonna cut it much longer.
/angry old man rant

I like this.

/angry old man rant

Four years ago:

Share of Overall Units
Marvel
37.59%

DC
36.75%

Share of Overall Dollars
Marvel
34.06%

DC
31.94%

Last month:

Share of Overall Units
Marvel
47.87%

DC
25.13%

Share of Overall Dollars
Marvel
42.98%

DC
25.82%

I doubt the people at Warner are looking at a drop like this and saying "Great! Keep up the good work!"

Ty for this post, since it helps strengthen the argument that Marvel's constant relaunches and #1s gives it a lead over DC who stuck with the same launch in the past 4 year.s

plus Marvel has Star wars now. nothing beating that.

Works both ways. DC's top sellers are #1 specials, event books, and Batman.

Of their eight top selling books in April:
1) The Dark Knight III
2) Batman
3) Harley Quinn #1 special
4) Justice League
5) TMNT and Batman crossover
6) Justice League #1 special
7) Harley Quinn
8) A SECOND HARLEY QUINN #1 special

So they are playing the exact same games as Marvel to drive sales, and still losing.

Four years ago:

Share of Overall Units
Marvel
37.59%

DC
36.75%

Last month:

Share of Overall Units
Marvel
47.87%

DC
25.13%

I doubt the people at Warner are looking at a drop like this and saying "Great! Keep up the good work!"

Four years ago DC was a year into the New 52 re-launch. If anything the lesson is that re-launches work really well. Shockingly that's what we're getting now. The only lack of long-term planning was not having another one lined up sooner.

Oh and not telling WB to buy Disney. That would have really helped.

I believe you have the net worth of those companies mixed up. Disney made more money in the fourth quarter of 2015 ($13.5 billion) than Warner Brothers made in the entire year ($12.9 billion).

Even four years ago, Disney was making $42 billion a year. Warner Brothers ain't buying shit.

Four years ago DC was a year into the New 52 re-launch. If anything the lesson is that re-launches work really well. Shockingly that's what we're getting now. The only lack of long-term planning was not having another one lined up sooner.

New 52 was the antithesis of long-term planning; all indications are that it was conceived as a Marvel-style relaunch and turned into a near-total reboot at the relative last minute. That it was successful as it was says more about DC's marketing and sales efforts than it does about the quality of the books themselves.

Re-launches are great for briefly stimulating the market but have severely diminishing returns, especially if you have nothing to follow them with is the actual lesson.

But they've known that for at least 20 years now and keep doing it anyway. And the comics sell less and less every relaunch.

If all else fails, just keep rebooting

Reboot your cinematic universe

Reboot your comic line

Reboot your logo

Is there anything else we can find lying around the office to reboot?

What if we reboot these ferns in the lobby of the building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom