• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you wanna catch up quickly, you can probably skip Doomed and go straight to Johns Men of Tomorrow arc and then read Superman and Action from #41 on.

I'd throw in Lois and Clark as well.

okay, I'm pretty excited to read the truth arc

Don't get too excited...

It has it's moments but largely it's meh.

Sad when a 3 issue arc in Batman/Superman was the best story for either characters throughout the DCYou runs.

I'm not posting an actual spoiler here, but
there's something deeply lazy and hackish about not just returning to the well of a classic story that was intended to be entirely self-contained, and distinct from any "superhero universe" as conventionally defined, but about positioning that, symbolically and otherwise, as the foundation for their universe going forward. Especially when its creators have made it clear that DC is disregarding their wishes in doing so,
DC was at their lowest point in sales. This is the equivalent to Square announcing the FF7 Remake. Money talks and it doesn't care about morals and symbols. Everything is colliding with each other anyway.

tim1138

From Rama's Spoiler review http://www.newsarama.com/29406-best-shot-review-dc-rebirth-special-1-with-spoilers-10-10.html

But in a comic full of big moments, there’s one that will stand out above the rest — namely, that the malevolent force that has stolen 10 years from the DC Universe (and murdered Pandora, the symbol of the New 52, in a particularly subversive jab) is none other than Watchmen’s Dr. Manhattan. When you read it, you might feel the air leave you, and it might be one of the smartest bits Johns has come up with since Sinestro Corps War. Of course the cynicism of the DC Universe began here — and the only way to counteract that is to call out the “world’s greatest graphic novel” for its sins. It serves to both heighten the stakes tremendously, as Johns taps into DC’s final frontier, but also serves as a great bit of metacommentary.

Hey, guys, remember when Pandora created the New 52?

Of course, nobody actually gives a fuck about Pandora and I don't actually care much whether Rebirth ignores her. Though the spoilers online are far from detailed, so who knows, maybe it doesn't.

From Rama's Spoiler review http://www.newsarama.com/29406-best-shot-review-dc-rebirth-special-1-with-spoilers-10-10.html

But in a comic full of big moments, there’s one that will stand out above the rest — namely, that the malevolent force that has stolen 10 years from the DC Universe (and murdered Pandora, the symbol of the New 52, in a particularly subversive jab) is none other than Watchmen’s Dr. Manhattan. When you read it, you might feel the air leave you, and it might be one of the smartest bits Johns has come up with since Sinestro Corps War. Of course the cynicism of the DC Universe began here — and the only way to counteract that is to call out the “world’s greatest graphic novel” for its sins. It serves to both heighten the stakes tremendously, as Johns taps into DC’s final frontier, but also serves as a great bit of metacommentary.

YES.

Exactly how I was hoping it'd go down.

You know you want too......you'll hate yourself for it..........but can you really resist.

I don't hate myself for doing it, but, man, DC is really out of ideas.

Edit:

I'll just add that
"If you like your Joker, you can keep your Joker!"
is going to work out greeeaaat...

tim1138

Sooooo... about that
Titans
solicit for August then... huh.

“Remember the Titans” part two! As the Titans prepare to do the unthinkable in order to defeat the intergalactic demon that stole time itself from the DC Universe

Sooooo... about that
Titans

“Remember the Titans” part two! As the Titans prepare to do the unthinkable in order to defeat the intergalactic demon that stole time itself from the DC Universe

I was thinking about that, lol.

Titans vs.
Doctor Manhattan! LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO

Sounds like a great time to link to what David Brothers wrote about their godawful coverage of Before Watchmen!

http://4thletter.net/2012/02/newsarama-needs-to-do-better/

http://4thletter.net/2012/04/if-newsarama-knew-better-it-would-do-better/

Did DC just read Flex mentallo or something

Seriously, what the fuck is this from the Newsarama review:
"Of course the cynicism of the DC Universe began here — and the only way to counteract that is to call out the “world’s greatest graphic novel” for its sins."

Those aren't Watchmen's sins at all. Those are the sins of subsequent creators who took Watchmen as a model for what superheroes should be.

We should be thanking him for killing Pandora.

I was thinking about that, lol.

Titans vs.
Doctor Manhattan! LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO

They're going to fail so hard.

Seriously, what the fuck is this from the Newsarama review:
"Of course the cynicism of the DC Universe began here — and the only way to counteract that is to call out the “world’s greatest graphic novel” for its sins."

Those aren't Watchmen's sins at all. Those are the sins of subsequent creators who took Watchmen as a model for what superheroes should be.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but
The whole point of Watchmen isn't that that's what heroes should be, it's that that's what they ARE. What they must necessarily become. People buying into the core deconstructive message is absolutely on the book's shoulders.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

That is DOPE as hell. Very, very intriguing.

Fine

Red head Wally is back! Watchmen is part of the DC universe, oh yeah, Doc Manhattan made it. Remember a certain big blue hand that always showed up in DC's comics as the creation of the universe? BOOM.

Dunno if it is cleaver or just dumb.

Besides, isn't that blue hand related to the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, the renegate Guardian (Can't remember his name...)

It's literally on the front page of Bleeding Cool

Yeah, thanks. As soon as I posted here I realized that I was being lazy and just googled it.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but
The whole point of Watchmen isn't that that's what heroes should be, it's that that's what they ARE. What they must necessarily become. People buying into the core deconstructive message is absolutely on the book's shoulders.

I don't agree with that at all, but to each his own, I guess.

I also feel pretty damn confident that Pax Americana did a much better job of critiquing both Watchmen and the comics that attempted to follow it than whatever Johns has done here, and without celebrating creators being screwed over by DC.

Sooooo... about that
Titans

And I foolish thought about Trigon at the time...

I don't agree with that at all, but to each his own, I guess.

I also feel pretty damn confident that Pax Americana did a much better job of critiquing both Watchmen and the comics that attempted to follow it than whatever Johns has done here, and without celebrating creators being screwed over by DC.

Not gonna argue with you on that, because
Morrison is a genius and Pax is a masterpiece
, but that doesn't mean Johns offer his own take.

Honestly, imo, it's time to take
Watchmen down a couple of pegs. It's still excellent, but I can't honestly say its influence has been a positive force, or that its reasoning in its deconstruction is flawless.

NeonZ

Don't forget the thing everyone is forgetting and is actually massive!

There are three jokers....

No idea...

The Joker thing is easy to see.
He had three main origins before. His behavior has changed several times. It's not that odd that suddenly it's revealed that there were three different Jokers. Multiple Jokers was my guess from the start regarding his identity reveal.
I was just wondering whether they'd go there, but any other important "real identity" that's hyped as very relevant would likely be extremely cheesy, so it always seemed like a strong possibility this time.

TheFlow

Banned
B061_-_titans_group_shot.jpg

They literally improved everyone's costume but Arsenal's is a lil meh.

1927063-redhoodoutlaws_roy_arsenal.jpg

VanWinkle

I wish the big "reveal" was more insane to me, but since I haven't actually read the works from which the secret has derived, it's more just "oh, okay." That's on me, though.

AGITΩ

My interest in this shot up dramatically. I was looking online to see if there was a way to preorder the One-shot first issue in physical form, but everything I see is digital. Anyone know any place to preorder a physical copy?

AGITΩ;204251721 said:
My interest in this shot up dramatically. I was looking online to see if there was a way to preorder the One-shot first issue in physical form, but everything I see is digital. Anyone know any place to preorder a physical copy?

Check DCBS, if you don't have a local comic shop to go to.

Ross61

I haven't been two keen on bring the old Wally back, but if they still manage to put great focus on the new Wally then I won't complain.

TheFlow

Banned
I only know the character from
young justice
but as long as he is as cool as his animation counterpart idc what he prefers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom