• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

I think the most exciting thing about that preview has nothing to do with spoilers, but with the simple fact you see the characters smiling again.

LordRaptor

I would looooooooooove the DCU to lighten up again, but I don't think it can while Johns is in charge but we heard all this before about silver age style whimsy and optimism being a template for the DCU right before Final Crisis went full grim dark and just did obnoxious shit like turn Mary Marvel into a BDSM fetish slave.

Like... remember the JLA/Avengers crossover, when the major beef between Cap and Supes was Supes thinking Cap had fucked up because the 616 was a crapsack universe where people distrusted their heroes, and Cap thought Supes had fucked up because all the heroes were revered and he felt they were lording it over the little guy?

I liked (parts of) the Wildstorm universe, but I never wanted it to be the DCU.

The Joker thing is easy to see.
He had three main origins before. His behavior has changed several times. It's not that odd that suddenly it's revealed that there were three different Jokers. Multiple Jokers was my guess from the start regarding his identity reveal.
I was just wondering whether they'd go there, but any other important "real identity" that's hyped as very relevant would likely be extremely cheesy, so it always seemed like a strong possibility this time.

Something that didn't even occur to me until now, this has an effect on what the Mobius chair told Batman. Now I'm more interested in hearing that.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I hate spoilers with all my heart. But I don't know if I will be able to contain myself and wait until Wednesday... The urge is just too strong!

ReiGun

Peeped them spoilers.

LMAOOOOOOO Dem boyz Didio and Johns give zero fucks about yall feelings. Out here inventing new levels of fuckless-ness.

I've held out on spoilers before and when I read the actual comic, I couldn't enjoy myself because I was reading in anticipation the whole time and was not taking the time to enjoy the page in front of me. Now I know the spoilers and I can read the comic and enjoy the journey to said spoiler.

Peeped them spoilers.

LMAOOOOOOO Dat boi Didio gives zero fucks about yall feelings. My man is out here inventing new levels of fuckless-ness.

I thought Geoff Johns wrote Rebirth?

ReiGun

I've held out on spoilers before and when I read the actual comic, I couldn't enjoy myself because I was reading in anticipation the whole time and was not taking the time to enjoy the page in front of me. Now I know the spoilers and I can read the comic and enjoy the journey to said spoiler.

I thought Geoff Johns wrote Rebirth?

He did. Had to edit it.

Regarding
Kaldur

He might not actually be gay. It'd actually be quite nice if he was bi like he was in Young Justice. There are not enough bi characters out there.

That's just a dumb hope coming from me though,

Regarding
Kaldur

He might not actually be gay. It'd actually be quite nice if he was bi like he was in Young Justice. There are not enough bi characters out there.

That's just a dumb hope coming from me though,

I could actually see that, given the wording
"not boys, A boy, he's my boyfriend"
, though you're right that bi men are rare as FUCK so it's certainly not a lock.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's being written by Grayson writer so it probably will be good.
Depends, I really liked the Spryal parts the things that took part at this weird school for killer schoolgirls.
Maybe I will give it a try.

'Fraid not, for now at least. The current book ended on just such a perfect note, so I'm not really bothered by it, but I would like to see Orlando get a chance at a followup at some point.
Really looking forward to read it, he was amazing in Grayson.

Effect

Well got my pre-order in at comixology just to get it out of the way. Trying very hard to stay away from the spoilers. Might be best to stay away from the thread until Wednesday evening.

Should be "Rebooting got a remake".

Yeah, that'd be good.

Why on earth would we lie to people like that?

Chill, I wouldn't have said anything if I had seen you getting into it with Bad in the other thread before I posted.

I consider
making Dr. Manhattan the supreme being of the DCU
a reboot or other type of significant change. Then you have
other changes like the canonical change to the Joker retconning his entire history.

But you and I feel differently, so I'll drop it.

I guess it just bugs me because reboot is such a loaded word, as evidenced by all the"lol DC another reboot such mess lmao" type posts in the spoiler thread. It retcons a couple of things, but it's not the kind of wholesale alteration a reboot implies, so I'd prefer not to use it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I guess it just bugs me because reboot is such a loaded word, as evidenced by all the"lol DC another reboot such mess lmao" type posts in the spoiler thread. It retcons a couple of things, but it's not the kind of wholesale alteration a reboot implies, so I'd prefer not to use it.
The word Reboot lost all meaning over the last couple of years.
Reboots are now almost the same as sequels, so its mostly marketing.

We're arguing over semantics.

You're going to see plenty of "lol DC another reboot such mess lmao" on the Internet as long as DC is doing poorly in sales.

aly

Depends, I really liked the Spryal parts the things that took part at this weird school for killer schoolgirls.
Maybe I will give it a try.

Really looking forward to read it, he was amazing in Grayson.

I know how you feel. I hang on to the hope of the writer saying Nightwing is more of a continuation of Grayson than anything.

Drayco21

From Rama's Spoiler review http://www.newsarama.com/29406-best-shot-review-dc-rebirth-special-1-with-spoilers-10-10.html

But in a comic full of big moments, there’s one that will stand out above the rest — namely, that the malevolent force that has stolen 10 years from the DC Universe (and murdered Pandora, the symbol of the New 52, in a particularly subversive jab) is none other than Watchmen’s Dr. Manhattan. When you read it, you might feel the air leave you, and it might be one of the smartest bits Johns has come up with since Sinestro Corps War. Of course the cynicism of the DC Universe began here — and the only way to counteract that is to call out the “world’s greatest graphic novel” for its sins. It serves to both heighten the stakes tremendously, as Johns taps into DC’s final frontier, but also serves as a great bit of metacommentary.

This is the most comic book ass comic books thing I've read in forever and I'm absolutely in love with it.

I'm ready for DC to win me over, let's go Johns!

Penguin

The Teen Titans costumes as well

And so happy none of them look dreadful

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/first-look-at-dcs-teen-titans-rebirth-designs

teen-titans-header.jpg

KonradLaw

Really digging that look!

Anyone read anything by the artist before? How is he, generally?

It's the same guy who took over Green Arrow recently. And he's not bad, but not great either. However, his novels are genuinelly great, so I'm thinking it might just be problems with getting used to working on a new medium.

Man, people are freaking out in the spoiler thread. Which I kinda knew would happen. I knew it would cause issues, but half the people there are bitching about stuff that isn't even accurate to the spoilers that were released.

It's the same guy who took over Green Arrow recently. And he's not bad, but not great either. However, his novels are genuinelly great, so I'm thinking it might just be problems with getting used to working on a new medium.

Lol, no, I meant the artist? Like, the guy who does the art?

Percy's GA has the problem of at first being really on the nose and then trying to adopt elements from one of his books, and doing so poorly (of course, the description I have of the book is a little different than "genuinely great"). We'll see how he does.

Man, people are freaking out in the spoiler thread. Which I kinda knew would happen. I knew it would cause issues, but half the people there are bitching about stuff that isn't even accurate to the spoilers that were released.

I have no comment whatsoever on the reasons why the spoiler thread is the way it is. None at all. Nope.

Gutss

Can i start with this rebirth for a first timer dc reader? or which one should i read back at the new 52 ones? want to get in to this im interested.

Can i start with this rebirth for a first timer dc reader? or which one should i read back at the new 52 ones? want to get in to this im interested.

Well, it's a little tough to say. Seems that your best bet would be a per-series check; some of them (like Batgirl, Superman) are transitioning directly from and building on their current New 52 status quo. Others aren't so closely linked to what came before, like Batman and Detective Comics seems to. I'd pick up the Rebirth oneshot, take a gander at the solicits, see what sticks out to you, and move from there.

Gutss

Well, it's a little tough to say. Seems that your best bet would be a per-series check; some of them (like Batgirl, Superman) are transitioning directly from and building on their current New 52 status quo. Others aren't so closely linked to what came before, like Batman and Detective Comics seems to. I'd pick up the Rebirth oneshot, take a gander at the solicits, see what sticks out to you, and move from there.

heard great feedback with snyders batman i think ill check it out, flash too tv series is great, superman... i dont know but i watched full seasons of smallville and that was great, thanks for the feedback bro.

Afrodium

Banned

Yeah, you'll be good. Even series that are continuing New-52 continuity should be structured in a way that new readers can hop on with issue #1 post-Rebirth.

TTOOLL

So, I've been reading only JL because Darkseid War. Will I be fine when Rebirth starts or is there anything else I must read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom