• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

"The one thing I don't like about Rebirth is that it's almost too good!"

All kidding aside, I'm stoked for Wednesday's comics - the last issues of Darkseid War, Last Days of Superman, Omega Men, and then of course Rebirth.

Sounds familiar.

To be fair, the Final Days arc has been pretty solid so far. It if anything made me curious about New 52 supes, which I haven't cared about since the Morrison run, and to be honest I didn't even care much then. Lois and Clark Supes is the best though.

Can I read Last Days of Superman standalone?

That's what I have been doing, it mentions bits of Darkseid War, adn I guess some previous Superman arcs, but it gets you up to speed pretty well. I would at least read Lois and Clark as well though.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yes, in the sense that you can read all 4 titles that make up the crossover :p

You can, Superman's condition is explained in the first couple pages of the first issue.

That's what I have been doing, it mentions bits of Darkseid War, adn I guess some previous Superman arcs, but it gets you up to speed pretty well. I would at least read Lois and Clark as well though.

Thx, will order it wheb its avaiable^^

Well, it's a little tough to say. Seems that your best bet would be a per-series check; some of them (like Batgirl, Superman) are transitioning directly from and building on their current New 52 status quo. Others aren't so closely linked to what came before, like Batman and Detective Comics seems to. I'd pick up the Rebirth oneshot, take a gander at the solicits, see what sticks out to you, and move from there.

I'm pretty sure Batgirl will be fine to jump on. The way the last arc ended as setup is nothing like Batgirl Rebirth begins , so there's definitely a pivot to make it a jumping on point (they are going from more established in Burnside to Training Arc wandering Asia.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey rather suggests that there's a chunk of pre-Nu52 Oracle stuff loosely returning to continuity.

Son I'll be surprised if there's actually much Burnside expected knowledge at all.

And the Superman book appears to be pre-52 Clark as well, and since 97% of his history doesn't exist in Nu52 that should be relatively clean too.

Given how awkwardly a bunch of books are wrapping up arcs in their last few issues I'd be very surprised if any of the new books aren't setup as jumping on points.

I'm pretty sure Batgirl will be fine to jump on. The way the last arc ended as setup is nothing like Batgirl Rebirth begins , so there's definitely a pivot to make it a jumping on point (they are going from more established in Burnside to Training Arc wandering Asia.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey rather suggests that there's a chunk of pre-Nu52 Oracle stuff loosely returning to continuity.

Son I'll be surprised if there's actually much Burnside expected knowledge at all.

And the Superman book appears to be pre-52 Clark as well, and since 97% of his history doesn't exist in Nu52 that should be relatively clean too.

Given how awkwardly a bunch of books are wrapping up arcs in their last few issues I'd be very surprised if any of the new books aren't setup as jumping on points.

Fair enough, and I'm sure that the books will be structured as jumping on points, the general point I was trying to make is that some of them are going to be more rooted in past continuity than others.

-----

Anyway, partway through Titans Hunt (issue 5), and the story is pretty intriguing. It even managed to make me semi-curious about Hawk and Dove, which is kind of a feat in itself. The art, though, damn. That's some mediocre ass art.

tim1138

Fair enough, and I'm sure that the books will be structured as jumping on points, the general point I was trying to make is that some of them are going to be more rooted in past continuity than others.

-----

Anyway, partway through Titans Hunt (issue 5), and the story is pretty intriguing. It even managed to make me semi-curious about Hawk and Dove, which is kind of a feat in itself. The art, though, damn. That's some mediocre ass art.

Which Dove is it, Don or Dawn?

"The one thing I don't like about Rebirth is that it's almost too good!"

All kidding aside, I'm stoked for Wednesday's comics - the last issues of Darkseid War, Last Days of Superman, Omega Men, and then of course Rebirth.

Damn, lost track and didn't realize Darkseid War and Omega Men were this week.

That's my favorite pairing, I've always thought it was more interesting than Hank and Don or Holly and Dawn.

Yeah, I don't really know anything about them. I read a few issues of the Liefeld series back at the start of the New 52* but dropped it for obvious reasons. Now I'm kind of wanting to know more about them... gah.

*Fun fact for those of you following along at home: Rob Liefeld wrote and drew a Hawk & Dove series for the new 52. Ain't that some shit?

tim1138

Yeah, I don't really know anything about them. I read a few issues of the Liefeld series back at the start of the New 52* but dropped it for obvious reasons. Now I'm kind of wanting to know more about them... gah.

*Fun fact for those of you following along at home: Rob Liefeld wrote and drew a Hawk & Dove series for the new 52. Ain't that some shit?

Flash fact: Rob Liefeld's first published comics work was the interiors for a Hawk & Dove miniseries in 87 or 88.

Ross61

Looking at the artist of Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Claire Roe, I see why they chose her. Her art is strongly reminiscent of Rafael Albuquerque.

LordRaptor

The Kesels H&D run was pretty good - another casualty of 'events' though, when it leaked that they were going to make Captain Atom do a face-heel turn, and they quickly rejigged things into making Monarch Hawk instead

tim1138

Anyone know what time DC updates their digital app on Wednesday? I want to buy this as soon as it's up.

I imagine it's get updated the same time as comixology proper does, so 3am EST.

Or if you pre-order order it, it will que up to download as soon as it's available.

MisterHero

Isn't that like an old alternate ending to COIE?
earth 2 Superman would've replaced Silver Age Superman?

RIP N52 Supes. I'll always remember your victory against Vyndyktvx!

tim1138

shingi70

Banned
Two days before this thread goes into overdrive.

What's everyone's top three favorite DC characters. Mine are pretty simple.

Superman
Firestorm
Green Arrow

Why is
Wally
white again?

The lovable goofball Wally West (in Justice League Cartoon) was originally the Wally West as the flash, and had been around for decades. The New 52 decided on some 5 year history stuff (and everything before that was deleted). Some characters got deleted (like Wally), others got heavily rewritten/altered (Cassandra Cain is a child now). The black new 52 Wally I still don't get, because its not as if they couldn't have given him a new name. Instead, they decided to try to rewriting old redhead Wally as new black Wally, and more than a few people disliked new black Wally because he just feel in with so many black stereotypes. If they wanted to do that, fine, but why make him the new 52's Wally West? Not like the name made people buy more (in fact, more than one person I know stopped buying it because of that whole mess)

Superman
Firestorm
Green Arrow

Shazam
Superman
Flash (can't decide between Barry/Wally, even Bart & Jay are great)

Batman use to be in my top three but he's falling, hell I might put Guy in fourth.

Dalek

I know lots of people in the movie thread don't like this guy, but Devin Faraci has a glowing (and spoiler) filled Rebirth review - http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/23/why-dc-universe-rebirth-is-a-gutsy-work-of-comics-criticism

The whole aesthetic was a little off, with its emphasis on darker storylines and a mandate from co-publisher Dan Didio saying that superheroes shouldn’t be married because they shouldn’t be happy.

Maybe I'm dense-but is this really true? is this confirmed?

gazele

Banned

Superman
Firestorm
Green Arrow

Flash
Superman
Shazam (will always be captain marvel to me)

Are there any non-spoiler reviews out there?

I should just wait, but it's nice to see the general positive response

tim1138

Superman
Firestorm
Green Arrow

Animal Man
Darkseid
TIE Green Lantern (all of 'em but Guy and Salaak)
TIE Flash (all of 'em)

Maybe I'm dense-but is this really true? is this confirmed?

Yep, unfortunately it absolutely is true.

The only married suoerhero in the N52 was Buddy Baker (Animal Man). He got a pass because the family structure was integral to Lemire's story.

Dalek

Animal Man
Darkseid
TIE Green Lantern (all of 'em but Guy and Salaak)
TIE Flash (all of 'em)

Yep, unfortunately it absolutely is true.

The only married suoerhero in the N52 was Buddy Baker (Animal Man). He got a pass because the family structure was integral to Lemire's story.

Jesus Christ...I don't even know what to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom