• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andodalf

Banned
Just finished, pick it up from my LCS, really good! Huge comic for 2.99, and it was a competent story on it's own, while getting me hype for several other comics. Not a reboot at all though, Which is surprising.

Squire

Banned
CMX displays it as free for me in my cart, but won't let me buy if. WTF, man. Why is it this difficult to post a fucking digital comic? JFC.

I'm actually willing to just pay for it and I can't even do that.

Reading Rebirth, every few pages I had a grin on my face. It feels pretty clear what Johns is trying to say, and without it being anti
Watchmen
and more with the course DC took after. It feels very knowing, considering in Infinite Crisis the Earth 2 Superman etc came back because they thought the universe had become too dark and tragic.

I liked "The Siegel Motel". It was pretty good. maybe really good. but holy shit the reunion was awesome. and the ending felt like it worked. roll on next week :p

Reading Rebirth, every few pages I had a grin on my face. It feels pretty clear what Johns is trying to say, and without it being anti
Watchmen
and more with the course DC took after. It feels very knowing, considering in Infinite Crisis the Earth 2 Superman etc came back because they thought the universe had become too dark and tragic.

I liked "The Siegel Motel". It was pretty good. maybe really good. but holy shit the reunion was awesome. and the ending felt like it worked. roll on next week :p

I echo these sentiments.

Rebirth honestly fills me with hope.

Still not up on Comixology for me. Come on, guys !
I think my work day is going to be interrupted a lot by me refreshing the app constantly on my tablet.

Just downloaded from CMX. I've not read any current DC comics at all but the first page says I need to read Justice League 50 and Superman 52. Is this right or is there a synopsis of those stories I can read online to catch up?

shingi70

Banned
Just downloaded from CMX. I've not read any current DC comics at all but the first page says I need to read Justice League 50 and Superman 52. Is this right or is there a synopsis of those stories I can read online to catch up?

There are parts and events in rebirth that make sense in the context of the superman Justice League book.

Quick summary:

Superman died from kryptonite poisoning in Superman #52. Before "The Final Days of Superman," DC You (New 52 after the Convergence event) had Superman in three radically different places in his own comics, the Justice League comic and Justice League of America. Editorial and the writers thought of a way to wrap things up in a way that combined all the divergent threads. Fighting a person who had Superman-esque powers and thought he was Superman hastened Superman's own death from kryptonite poisoning. When he died, his body turned to ash and four bolts of energy shot out. Two of these bolts hit Lana Lang and Lois Lane, who were kneeling next to Superman. Batman, Wonder Woman and Steel were also present for Superman's death. The final page shows Superman's enemies and friends (Jimmy Olsen) reacting to his death. "The Final Days of Superman" arc revealed the existence of pre-Flashpoint Superman/Clark Kent, Lois and their son, Jon, who had been living in rural California.

In Justice League's "Darkseid War," which takes place chronologically before Superman #52, Darkseid was killed and conflict erupted between members of the League that inherited his powers. In the aftermath of the event Forever Evil, the League thought their greatest threat was Darkseid, when it was actually the Anti-Monitor (a being made of anti-matter that almost exterminated existence in Crisis on Infinite Earths).

This event was used to wrap up the thread of Superwoman's pregnancy from Forever Evil and the Crime Syndicate from Earth 3 made an appearance. Also, Darkseid secretly had a daughter named Grail, who is descended from the Amazons. At the end of Darkseid War, Darkseid is reborn as an infant and is being cared for by Grail.

Quick summary:

Superman died from kryptonite poisoning in Superman #52. Before "The Final Days of Superman," DC You (New 52 after the Convergence event) had Superman in three radically different places in his own comics, the Justice League comic and Justice League of America. Editorial and the writers thought of a way to wrap things up in a way that combined all the divergent threads. Fighting a person who had Superman-esque powers and thought he was Superman hastened Superman's own death from kryptonite poisoning. When he died, his body turned to ash and four bolts of energy shot out. Two of these bolts hit Lana Lang and Lois Lane, who were kneeling next to Superman. Batman, Wonder Woman and Steel were also present for Superman's death. The final page shows Superman's enemies and friends (Jimmy Olsen) reacting to his death. "The Final Days of Superman" arc revealed the existence of pre-Flashpoint Superman/Clark Kent, Lois and their son, Jon, who had been living in rural California.

In Justice League's "Darkseid War," which takes place chronologically before Superman #52, Darkseid was killed and conflict erupted between members of the League that inherited his powers. In the aftermath of the event Forever Evil, the League thought their greatest threat was Darkseid, when it was actually the Anti-Monitor (a being made of anti-matter that almost exterminated existence in Crisis on Infinite Earths).

This event was used to wrap up the thread of Superwoman's pregnancy from Forever Evil and the Crime Syndicate from Earth 3 made an appearance. Also, Darkseid secretly had a daughter named Grail, who is descended from the Amazons. At the end of Darkseid War, Darkseid is reborn as an infant and is being cared for by Grail.

My mind has melted haha thanks for that.

tim1138

Anyone who redeemed the code I shared yesterday well probably have to email Comixology support. Apparently the Rocksteady Games dude who posted it jumped the gun, and it didn't redeem the book but won't let you purchase it either.

Hmm. I just noticed the new big solicitations for Batman in the back of books suggest that several things (storylines from the 90s) are in continuity again ? But that makes no sense on a 6 year time scale*. Maybe its supposed to be meta commentary but how would that be relevant to this new Hero then ?

Just downloaded it, can't wait to read it during my pause !

Hmm. I just noticed the new big solicitations for Batman in the back of books suggest that several things (storylines from the 90s) are in continuity again ? But that makes no sense on a 6 year time scale*. Maybe its supposed to be meta commentary but how would that be relevant to this new Hero then ?

Yeah, it's best not to think too much about that stuff when reading Marvel or DC, it's never going to make sense no matter how you try to rationalize it. A few years ago, Wolverine was having solo adventures in multiple books at the same time while also being a member of the X-men, the Avengers and X-Force. He was very busy. Same thing with Batman, just look at the number of comics he shows up in every week. He's worked with numerous Robins, he has a 10 year old son, it's just not possible for it to work but who cares ? Just put your suspension of disbelief at work.

Just downloaded it, can't wait to read it during my pause !

Yeah, it's best not to think too much about that stuff when reading Marvel or DC, it's never going to make sense no matter how you try to rationalize it. A few years ago, Wolverine was having solo adventures in multiple books at the same time while also being a member of the X-men, the Avengers and X-Force. He was very busy. Same thing with Batman, just look at the number of comics he shows up in every week. He's worked with numerous Robins, he has a 10 year old son, it's just not possible for it to work but who cares ? Just put your suspension of disbelief at work.

Yes , I recognize that but one of those stoylines is No Man's Land which explicitly took place over a year in universe. It clearly can't have happened as it did though (Batman and Harlequin are approximately the the only characters who both would have existed and been in the correct identity at the time and it involved pretty much every active Bat-cast member at the time). It's like trying to put Young Justice into the current continuity in that it makes absolutely no sense. It's like DC is explicitly trying to undermine suspension of disbelief.

LordRaptor

I just realised there's no Doom Patrol or LOSH on that splash image, even though
apparently there's a LOSH flight ring shout out in Rebirth

shingi70

Banned
Yes , I recognize that but one of those stoylines is No Man's Land which explicitly took place over a year in universe. It clearly can't have happened as it did though (Batman and Harlequin are approximately the the only characters who both would have existed and been in the correct identity at the time and it involved pretty much every active Bat-cast member at the time). It's like trying to put Young Justice into the current continuity in that it makes absolutely no sense. It's like DC is explicitly trying to undermine suspension of disbelief.

grant-morrison.jpg

You just got to roll with it.

I hear you but the more popular the hero, the more titles he or she will appear in every month and it's just never going to make sense as a whole. I have been following comics for 25 years now, the best way to approach Marvel and DC is to stop caring about continuity. I just like the stories I like and I don't really care where they fit in the universe's history.

That's great, Morrison is the man.

shingi70

Banned
I just realised there's no Doom Patrol or LOSH on that splash image, even though
apparently there's a LOSH flight ring shout out in Rebirth

No JSA either.
. My guess is pitches for certain characters and books that haven't been announced yet. On the flip side we see Firestorm and Vixen and there was no prior indication of them being anywhere in rebirth.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Just make your own continuity. That's what I do. In mine everyone is aware of how dumb Hawkman is and humour him and his lies about his backstory.

I wasn't actually complaining about continuity (directly). I was questioning why the hell DC would be deliberately reintroducing things into continuity that have no place in their Nu52 setup, especially when one of the reasons they give for their ever more frequent reboots is to clean up continuity snarls.

It might be because some of these storylines are iconic but that makes no sense either when one of the purposes of the Nu52 was to return characters to less experienced points.

Admittedly this isn't new, DC has never actually hard a reboot which didn't devolve into an enormous mess in under a decade, because you end up with a writer for whom something currently out of continuity was definitional of a character.

DC has a bad habit of wanting to have their cake and eat it too , Nu52 is just more obvious since its erasure scale was similar to Crisis on Infinite Earths and they explicitly defined a very short timeline.

No JSA either.
. My guess is pitches for certain characters and books that haven't been announced yet. On the flip side we see Firestorm and Vixen and there was no prior indication of them being anywhere in rebirth.

There's a second Justice League book announced that is probably actually
JSA
. No sign of Legion but it's possibility that's going to be a July book (there's definitely Rebirth titles coming out in June).

DeathyBoy

Banned
I wasn't actually complaining about continuity (directly). I was questioning why the hell DC would be deliberately reintroducing things into continuity that have no place in their Nu52 setup, especially when one of the reasons they give for their ever more frequent reboots is to clean up continuity snarls.

Well in story, New 52 was created by The Flash ()trying to unfuck up his fuck up) and Pandora (a big floaty head who when revealed as an actual character didn't seem to know she'd changed history, until her Five Years Later issue where it was revealed that she'd done this dozens of times and she finally decided to stop doing it by... killing her alternate selves.) So even in-story, it was two characters improvising and throwing together whatever they could to try and create a stronger timeline.

And clearing up continuity is never their concern - their concern is getting new readers and lots of press. Reboots always do that, even though everyone knows that they're surface level reworkings at best. Like the first full on reboot was COIE, and that didn't last any time at all before they contradicted the reworkings.

LordRaptor

Like the first full on reboot was COIE, and that didn't last any time at all before they contradicted the reworkings.

That's not really true... a bunch of stuff from COIE was pretty solidified and stuck, like Superman having a fixed power set and not just busting out Super-Ventriloquism or whatever at the drop of a hat, and not having spent a huge chunk of his teenage years living in the future.

That's not really true... a bunch of stuff from COIE was pretty solidified and stuck, like Superman having a fixed power set and not just busting out Super-Ventriloquism or whatever at the drop of a hat, and not having spent a huge chunk of his teenage years living in the future.

I'm not sure if Superboy didn't come back into continuity after Infinite Crisis (but that was 20 years later , so it hardly undoes your point). Some of the Legion Stories after it seem to assume they knew Clark. But they may still have been the pocket dimension version of Clark the time trapper created just post-Crisis to stop the Legion timeline collapsing. The Legion timeline is a bigger mess than Troia's was.

The post-Infinite Crisis timeline was very handwavy (I don't think they even defined who the original JL lineup after that event was since the Big Three were clearly founders again but there weren't any solid answers about what happened with the post-Crisis replacement founders).

LordRaptor

The Legion timeline is a bigger mess than Troia's was.

Yeah, but in a way it sort of works itself out, being;
a) so far off in the future that you can reasonably expect ripples from the past to change things in the future (using a single linear timeline theory) or multiple timelines being created and destroyed all the time anyway (using an every choice creates a new timeline theory)
b) a major antagonist of the LOSH being a dude who specifically fucks around with time to try and mess with them

It's a bit no-prizey, but it sort of works. I mean, shit, the whole premise of Flashpoint was someone much much much less adept at time travel shenanigans fucking with Barry Allen altering the entire DCU as a side effect

e:
basically, if you're doing time travel related stuff in fiction, you sort of have to adopt the MST3K mantra

Chorazin

I redeemed the free issue yesterday, but it's not in my Library today and when I try to click the redemption link it tells me I already used it. :/

Yeah, but in a way it sort of works itself out, being;
a) so far off in the future that you can reasonably expect ripples from the past to change things in the future (using a single linear timeline theory) or multiple timelines being created and destroyed all the time anyway (using an every choice creates a new timeline theory)
b) a major antagonist of the LOSH being a dude who specifically fucks around with time to try and mess with them

It's a bit no-prizey, but it sort of works. I mean, shit, the whole premise of Flashpoint was someone much much much less adept at time travel shenanigans fucking with Barry Allen altering the entire DCU as a side effect

e:
basically, if you're doing time travel related stuff in fiction, you sort of have to adopt the MST3K mantra

Yeah. Flashpoint doesn't make sense from a normal time travel perspective either, so you just have to go with it. It effected characters who should have been well defined before the alteration (like Ra's Al Ghul who should have been like ~600 years old before Flashpoint would have touched his timeline. I guess time must flow both ways.

Just finished reading it; it was awesome! Gives me high hopes for the universe going forward. It definitely feels like a step in the right direction

On a side note: I've always been interested in getting into Blue Beetle, and was curious if Rebirth would be a good point to to jump in. Would I be missing anything important, or is this the perfect place to start?

shingi70

Banned

It might be because some of these storylines are iconic but that makes no sense either when one of the purposes of the Nu52 was to return characters to less experienced points.

Admittedly this isn't new, DC has never actually hard a reboot which didn't devolve into an enormous mess in under a decade, because you end up with a writer for whom something currently out of continuity was definitional of a character.

DC has a bad habit of wanting to have their cake and eat it too , Nu52 is just more obvious since its erasure scale was similar to Crisis on Infinite Earths and they explicitly defined a very short timeline.

There's a second Justice League book announced that is probably actually
JSA
. No sign of Legion but it's possibility that's going to be a July book (there's definitely Rebirth titles coming out in June).

The adding things is intentional this time around, the idea seems to be that the ending reveal was attempting to fuck with the DCU and took pieces after Barry went back in time to weaken the universe.

"Heroes that were legends became novices. Bonds between them were weakened and erased. Legacies were destroyed"

The Titans are ripped from history alongside Wally west, and 10 years are taken away as a result of the time fucked.

Somehow Pandroa gets wind of this impending threat and decides to prepare the DC Universe as well as she can by Merging the DC Universe, Windstorm, and remnants of the Vertigo universe to her best ability. Things are lost when this happens, but it doesn't exactly brighten up the universe.

It's bright there at the end of Flashpoint.

flashpoint-mystery-woman.png

The adding things is intentional this time around, the idea seems to be that the ending reveal was attempting to fuck with the DCU and took pieces after Barry went back in time to weaken the universe.

The Titans are ripped from history alongside Wally west, and 10 years are taken away as a result of the time fucked.

Somehow Pandroa gets wind of this impending threat and decides to prepare the DC Universe as well as she can by Merging the DC Universe, Windstorm, and remnants of the Vertigo universe to her best ability. Things are lost when this happens, but it doesn't exactly brighten up the universe.

It's bright there at the end of Flashpoint.

flashpoint-mystery-woman.png

Yes, but how is this stuff back ? The timeline is still the Nu52 one. Titan Hunt seems to assume it was adventures in the current timeline that got erased (which is why Barry had an explanation for Wally's disappearance when he remembers him again).

It's obvious from Rebirth that some of the old stuff is vaguely back in continuity but doesn't seem to be much explanation of how.

Yes, but how is this stuff back ? The timeline is still the Nu52 one. Titan Hunt seems to assume it was adventures in the current timeline that got erased (which is why Barry had an explanation for Wally's disappearance when he remembers him again).

It's obvious from Rebirth that some of the old stuff is vaguely back in continuity but doesn't seem to be much explanation of how.

If I had to guess it would be something like time is trying to correct itself. Wally is as old as he "should" be, but he has memories of the old universe. I'm also curious about the Superman question raised in the issue. Was Nu52 Supes a fake?

shingi70

Banned

Only parts of it are back mind you. We still have a Ted Kord who was never Blue Beetle till now, etc.

I see it as the universe repairing it's self. The Teen Titans did exist but were erased for some reason. (Haven't read Titans Hunt). A few of the member were erased outright (Wally and Donna Troy) while the others were changed almost outright. The universe is slowly repairing it's self after Convergence which is why Donna Troy was brought back to life and Wally had an opening to comeback.

For the JSA Johnny Thunderbolt has always been pretty powerful so when he tried to save the JSA it altered reality and ripped them from history which is why only he remembers but doesn't have his genie.

KonradLaw

Jeez. I don't follow Flash aside from tv show and have zero connection to Wally. And yet I actually got teary eyed when Barry remebered and caught Wally..

Damn fine job Geoff, damn fine job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom