• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Holy shit did my heart melt. What is it with The Flash (any one of them) using love to defy reality itself. Up there with Barry breaking the Anti-Life equation by kissing Iris and Wally telling death to go fuck itself with Linda.

Also, man, Ryan Choi comes out of this looking like a bad ass motherfucker.

Can't say for sure. The art and art design really put me off his most recent solo books too. As for the woman, her name is Pandora. Go read/watch YouTube videos about Trinity War/Flashpoint.

that's Pandora. She was a pretty important character during the birth of the New 52 up until Forever Evil and then she seemed to disappear.

Oh, ok. Heard her brought up a bit but didn't have a visual reference. I basically skipped out on all comics around that time.

So what will come of the JSA sublot? Where will that be followed up on?

Effect

This is annoying. It looks like if buy the digital version from Amazon you get the Kindle and comixology version. If you just use the comixology.com you just get that version. Unless I'm missing something. I know where to order from in the future now.

Speaking of Choi / The Atom, where is his storyline going to happen ? He doesn't have a Rebirth issue listed at the end and doesn't appear on any of the teases for the future team books.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Oh, ok. Heard her brought up a bit but didn't have a visual reference. I basically skipped out on all comics around that time.

So what will come of the JSA sublot? Where will that be followed up on?

No doubt whatsoever in my mind that Johns is going to come back and pick up JSA. Might take a while, but that's his baby

I rear Rebirth. It was good.

My potential problem is not the event itself-- DC "reboot" events are usually done well. It's what follows. The event pulls all the right nostalgia levers, has big surprises for things/characters that sound inviting. But if the followup is the usual dark brooding mess, I'll go back to my comics hibernation.

I was pretty excited for the Nu52, but eventually dropped just about everything due to the grim tone, gratuitous violence for edginess's sake, or just for being boring. Good ongoing plot writing is hard, and harder still if you have to share the universe. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I won't be surprised if this fails.

My potential problem is not the event itself-- DC "reboot" events are usually done well. It's what follows. The event pulls all the right nostalgia levers, has big surprises for things/characters that sound inviting. But if the followup is the usual dark brooding mess, I'll go back to my comics hibernation.

I was pretty excited for the Nu52, but eventually dropped just about everything due to the grim tone, gratuitous violence for edginess's sake, or just for being boring. Good ongoing plot writing is hard, and harder still if you have to share the universe. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I won't be surprised if this fails.

Seems like Geoff Johns has been pretty hands on with all the Rebirth stories kicking off to get the right feel going forward. Not sure if that would last long though with the movie stuff.

TheFlow

Banned
where the dafuq is animal man.

can someone tell me that? I didn't read the whole run so did he retire at the end or something?

Squire

Banned
Anyone who redeemed the code I shared yesterday well probably have to email Comixology support. Apparently the Rocksteady Games dude who posted it jumped the gun, and it didn't redeem the book but won't let you purchase it either.

You can still buy it on Kindle and merge accounts, if you haven't. That worked for me. Gonna read it soon.

Is it good standalone? I didn't manage to keep up with JL.

tim1138

You can still buy it on Kindle and merge accounts, if you haven't. That worked for me. Gonna read it soon.

Is it good standalone? I didn't manage to keep up with JL.

CMX Support added it to my account with no problem, I just had to wait an hour or so.

My observations after reading Rebirth:

1) It's not an ideal "jumping on" point if you aren't super familiar with pre-Flashpoint DC, or even the New 52. There's so little done to introduce characters, as John is rushing to feature as many players as possible and show what's wrong with their current setup. For a guy like me who isn't intimately familiar with a lot of these folks, it's a lot of whatever.

2) Way to much time spent having
Wally
travel around and yelling, "ARRRRGGHGAHGHAG THE SPEED FORCE AARARARAGAGH!" I mean, we're talking 20-30 pages of pure fluff. We got the point the first time. By the fifth, it was ridiculous. Not the best writing from Johns.

3) The moment everyone will remember, the crucial moment where Johns goes for the emotional jugular...was a complete success. The reunion was fantastic. Really tugged at the heart strings, even for a guy like me who doesn't give a shit about one of the characters. Great pay off.

4) Very uneven art work. It ranges from shit to fantastic.

5) The reveal of the
Watchmen
as antagonists is just a mess. We knew that going in based on spoilers, but it's shoe horned to hell and back. Not only does it basically make zero sense (Where the hell have they been the whole time? How have they never interacted with these characters previously?), but it really could paint the Rebirth universe into a corner going forward. Do they really want to make those guys a central focal point? Or is Johns just tossing shit at the wall and hoping we all forget them a year from now? I can't see either option being good. If they become central players in the DC universe...haha.

6) If this was book one of a six issue miniseries, I'd be good with it. As the vehicle for rebooting everything to pre-Flashpoint days, it's not very satisfying. The last dozen or so pages of cover advertisements is obviously pushing this book as the precursor to diving in to the other character storylines, but this issue is incomplete. There's no resolution or even hinting at resolution. I'm not confident other writers are going to just pick up the baton and complete this story.

shingi70

Banned
My observations after reading Rebirth:

1) It's not an ideal "jumping on" point if you aren't super familiar with pre-Flashpoint DC, or even the New 52. There's so little done to introduce characters, as John is rushing to feature as many players as possible and show what's wrong with their current setup. For a guy like me who isn't intimately familiar with a lot of these folks, it's a lot of whatever.

2) Way to much time spent having
Wally
travel around and yelling, "ARRRRGGHGAHGHAG THE SPEED FORCE AARARARAGAGH!" I mean, we're talking 20-30 pages of pure fluff. We got the point the first time. By the fifth, it was ridiculous. Not the best writing from Johns.

3) The moment everyone will remember, the crucial moment where Johns goes for the emotional jugular...was a complete success. The reunion was fantastic. Really tugged at the heart strings, even for a guy like me who doesn't give a shit about one of the characters. Great pay off.

4) Very uneven art work. It ranges from shit to fantastic.

5) The reveal of the
Watchmen
as antagonists is just a mess. We knew that going in based on spoilers, but it's shoe horned to hell and back. Not only does it basically make zero sense (Where the hell have they been the whole time? How have they never interacted with these characters previously?), but it really could paint the Rebirth universe into a corner going forward. Do they really want to make those guys a central focal point? Or is Johns just tossing shit at the wall and hoping we all forget them a year from now? I can't see either option being good. If they become central players in the DC universe...haha.

6) If this was book one of a six issue miniseries, I'd be good with it. As the vehicle for rebooting everything to pre-Flashpoint days, it's not very satisfying. The last dozen or so pages of cover advertisements is obviously pushing this book as the precursor to diving in to the other character storylines, but this issue is incomplete. There's no resolution or even hinting at resolution. I'm not confident other writers are going to just pick up the baton and complete this story.

Bleedingcool has an article about where the other watchmen characters could potentially be.

It's not a reboot and this isn't pre Flashpoint at all.

Well, Johns is basically promising the opposite of a dark brooding mess. It's just not really something he can keep himself so it's up to, uh, everyone else to hold up the DC end of this bargain.

KonradLaw

Well, Johns is basically promising the opposite of a dark brooding mess. It's just not really something he can keep himself so it's up to, uh, everyone else to hold up the DC end of this bargain.

I hope they don't. I mean, it's fine for a universe wide aproeach. But having every single comic be full of hope and optimism would suck royally.

Bleedingcool has an article about where the other watchmen characters could potentially be.

It's not a reboot and this isn't pre Flashpoint at all.

The entire premise of the book is relationships and people are "all wrong," and that the changes stemmed from someone meddling during Flashpoint. All we needed was Jack from Lost yelling, "We need to go back!"

I realize this isn't pre-Flashpoint on the continuity scale...it's modern day. But Johns is very clearly saying things were "better" before then, and the characters need to return to that state.

tim1138

THR has a nice interview up with Johns - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ohns-talks-bringing-897289?utm_source=twitter

Some quotes that jumped out at me:

Very, but at the same time, what happened with the New 52 was that a brick wall had been built between that and everything that had happened before. In my mind, it was like a brick wall, and it felt like, say, the version I read of Raven wasn't the Raven I'm reading now. It felt like the emotional connection I had with the character broke. I'll tell you a character specifically, and I'll be candid about it: Superboy, Connor Kent.

One of my favorite characters of all time, and I had a great time writing him in Teen Titans, and I loved writing him in his solo run [in Adventure Comics]. They reintroduced him in the New 52 and he was so different, so vastly changed, that I couldn't connect with the book that well. The emotional tie just severed, and it didn't sever in the way that made me angry, it was worse than that: I had apathy for it. I didn't care anymore.

One of the problems I had as a writer in the New 52 is that we're dropped into an open field — here's your character, we're going to relaunch it — and then you look around and think, well, which direction am I supposed to go in? With this, we had the conversation ahead of time: look over there, towards the horizon: that's the direction. And the path isn't narrow; it's not all the characters have to have a cape or whatever. Rebirth is the compass, here's where we're going.

I'm taking a break for awhile. Rebirth is my last book for awhile, Justice League No. 50 is my last monthly book for awhile. But, you know, comics are my first love. I'll be back — I've set some stuff up in the Rebirth special that I'm going to see through — but I need to take a break and take care of some other things. I won't be gone that long. It's nice to read comics as a fan for awhile, though. [Laughs]

Rebirth was a great issues. Sad to see New 52 Superman go though, as I have no desire to read the adventures of Dad Superman.

Alas.

Did you try to read Lois and Clark ? I'm not a Dan Jurgens fan by any means but that has been my favorite Superman book by far in recent months, it's really solid. New 52 Superman was a mess with a few bright spots here and there until Tomasi rescued him. And Super Sons looks gorgeous, I love Superboy's costume.

BlizzKrut

Banned
So I truly want to start reading comics with Rebirth, only thing I'm reading is Injustice at the moment, and I'm wondering if I should buy physical (more difficult for me in the country I live, gotta import) or go digital (which I like less as I like holding the actual comic book in my hand but is the cheaper option), any suggestions?

TheFlow

Banned
So I truly want to start reading comics with Rebirth, only thing I'm reading is Injustice at the moment, and I'm wondering if I should buy physical (more difficult for me in the country I live, gotta import) or go digital (which I like less as I like holding the actual comic book in my hand but is the cheaper option), any suggestions?

digital

DeathyBoy

Banned
I didn't get how Barry suddenly recognized Wally but whatever. Also, so there is a redhead Wally in earth 1 too?

The same way that Barry saved Iris from the Anti-Life Equation with a kiss, Barry pulled Bart out of the Black Lantern realm, and Wally told death to fuck off and brought Linda back to life.

Motherfucking Speedforce.

Corpsepyre

Banned
This was good. I was completely and utterly against the idea of them using Watchmen as part of continuity, but it was handled decently here. There isn't going to be a Rebirth #2, right? We're not going to see Dr.Manhattan and the rest in full forms or anything?! Please, please, don't do that, DC.

massoluk

Banned
Just finished Rebirth on the train this morning, this shit is legit. A very good opportunity to clean up the mess that is DC timelines unlike the past few reboots. Don't screw this up DC*

*Would count on DC and Geoff Johns to find a way to screw it up again.

Digital is the truth you seek. Digital is life.

I can understand prefering trades and hardcovers over digital (I still prefer the latter because I travel a lot) but floppies are so terribly put together and they are riddled with ads, they're just not worth the price. That's the one thing that has always bothered me with american comics.

DeathyBoy

Banned
This was good. I was completely and utterly against the idea of them using Watchmen as part of continuity, but it was handled decently here. There isn't going to be a Rebirth #2, right? We're not going to see Dr.Manhattan and the rest in full forms or anything?! Please, please, don't do that, DC.

I'd imagine down the line, when they want to reboot again, Black Canary and Doc Manhattan will talk about the merits of the DC universe. Doc Manhattan will cave...

... and then he'll kill The Question for threatening to leak everything to Bleeding Cool.

When is the next issue??

There...isn't one. Which is my biggest complaint. It's just tossing out all these ideas and insanity, and leaving it up to individual writers on their series to pick up the ball. I don't see most of them carrying this story line out to fruition. They'll be too busy, you know, writing compelling stories with their characters.

TheFlow

Banned
When is the next issue??

one shot

There...isn't one. Which is my biggest complaint. It's just tossing out all these ideas and insanity, and leaving it up to individual writers on their series to pick up the ball. I don't see most of them carrying this story line out to fruition. They'll be too busy, you know, writing compelling stories with their characters.
its a one shoooooooooot lol

DeathyBoy

Banned

Like Dark Reign, it's a long form story set up by a one shot that'll end with an event comic.

Hopefully called After Watchmen to troll the comic book cliques.

Comixology or Amazon? Which one has the better scan quality? It would be easier for me to use Amazon, but I had really bad experiences in the past with art books badly compressed for kindle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom