• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordRaptor

Somehow Pandroa gets wind of this impending threat and decides to prepare the DC Universe as well as she can by Merging the DC Universe, Windstorm, and remnants of the Vertigo universe to her best ability. Things are lost when this happens, but it doesn't exactly brighten up the universe.

I think it was probably a mistake to try and make Vertigo, Wildstorm and the DCU proper the same universe, tbh.
Wildstorm especially. At least there's some natural crossover between Vertigo and the DCU, the only 'bleed' (badum-tsh) between WS and the DCU was "Oh, hey we just bought that, better send Captain Atom over to job them and have Mr Majestic hang out with Superman for a few issues".

Jeez. I don't follow Flash aside from tv show and have zero connection to Wally. And yet I actually got teary eyed when Barry remebered and caught Wally..

Damn fine job Geoff, damn fine job.

I highly recommend that you give a shot to his run on the Wally West Flash, it was even better than what he later did with Barry Allen that was adapted during season one of the show. Barry is still present in spirit and all of the Rogues are there and written perfectly, all of their characterization on the CW shows comes from what Johns did in his Wally West issues.

Just read Justice League>Louis & Clark>Superman>Rebirth in one sitting. It was amazing! Rebirth really packed a lot of emotion. The n52 was my introduction into the DC Universe so this was not an apology to me but more of here is what you have been missing. I guess it was an apology for the mediocre stories I've read from DC in the n52. Directionless stories that lead nowhere, that had no bearing on the overall universe. For all of Dan Didios antics. I don't think he is a bad person, I think he might just be ignorant on good story telling. Think
Love
was my favorite chapter.

Just finished Rebirth. Damn it was great. Probably enhanced by the fact that I'm reading through Mark Waids Flash run atm. Very excited for DCs future now.

Just read Rebirth this morning. Even though I knew about the spoilers and my knowledge of DC is at more of a surface level, I really enjoyed it. I haven't enjoyed a comic as much as I enjoyed this one in a long time. I really look forward to what DC does with its characters in the future.

So in which way does the story go from here? Will it just be tangentially continued in each of the separate books and Justice League carry forward the main story, or how does this work?

Simply, which ones can I buy and which can I skip?

So in which way does the story go from here? Will it just be tangentially continued in each of the separate books and Justice League carry forward the main story, or how does this work?

Simply, which ones can I buy and which can I skip?

They said the story from rebirth will be told over 2 years but since Johns isn't writing any books (we don't know the JSA creative team but I'm either thinking Johns/Fabok or Hickman/Fabok or w/e) so it's hard to tell but Justice League would be a pretty safe bet for the big stuff

They said the story from rebirth will be told over 2 years but since Johns isn't writing any books (we don't know the JSA creative team but I'm either thinking Johns/Fabok or Hickman/Fabok or w/e) so it's hard to tell but Justice League would be a pretty safe bet for the big stuff

Titans will also be where you can follow Wally.

Looks like I'll hop on Justice League then. It starts with the Justice League Rebirth one shot this July right?

I actually bought my first new comic with Rebirth today and I don't want to get overwhelmed. So I'd like to limit it to the "main" story as it were.

Also, I notice that Batman Beyond is going to have a mainline continuity book. This is Terry and not Tim, right?

tim1138

Looks like I'll hop on Justice League then. It starts with the Justice League Rebirth one shot this July right?

I actually bought my first new comic with Rebirth today and I don't want to get overwhelmed. So I'd like to limit it to the "main" story as it were.

I think Flash will probably also be an important book to follow as well.

Just finished it, I'm a little mixed on it.

It was enjoyable overall end I am very excited for the future. I am actually pretty happy about the arrival of
the Watchmen
in the DCU. I hope it works out better than Wildstorm did but it could lead to some very interesting stories. There were some nice emotional moments of course, mainly the ending but also
Aquaman proposing

But there wasn't much story there, it was just a giant teaser and I didn't find it as exciting as Countdown to Infinite Crisis was ten years ago. That one had more of a narrative and the mystery was so much more riveting.

I also wonder how good of a jumping on point for new readers Rebirth is. I might be wrong, but most of the stuff happening and the characters showing up (like
Johnny Thunder
) would probably make no sense to someone not versed in the DCU.

To end on a more positive note, the art was gorgeous with the exception of Van Sciver who I've never liked (poor man's Bolland imho) but everyone else was on point. I can't wait for the next Rebirth issues, I'm going to try as many as I can, even though the teaser image at the end of the book sadly reminded me that Brett Booth is doing the art on Titans. Come on, DC !

Oh, and can someone tell me who was the guy being criticized by his mom for being gay ? He looked vaguely like the Monitor guy from Final Crisis but I'm not sure.

hamchan

Wow this was pretty epic. I'm not a big DC fan but know enough about The Flash that the Wally and Barry moment was appropriately awesome. Also I am looking forward to all the Watchmen stuff because it's so crazy.

I'm also going to add that the two cousins Wally thing was pretty clever. I don't know if that was introduced here for the first time but that's a very Geoff Johns solution to the problem. It doesn't retcon the new Wally but still allows the return of the old one.

RS4-

Just finished reading Rebirth, that wasn't bad actually. Granted, I haven't read much DC stuff over the years, and most of my knowledge really boils down to the live movies and tv shows these days.

Think they're going to bring all the Watchmen into this, or just Manhattan as the big bad?

I liked it and preordered Bats, Flash and JL. Want to see where the 3 Jokers thing goes for sure.

Dalek

I'm also going to add that the two cousins Wally thing was pretty clever. I don't know if that was introduced here for the first time but that's a very Geoff Johns solution to the problem. It doesn't retcon the new Wally but still allows the return of the old one.

It did come off very naturally and "matter of factly"

Bane

Well that's a hell of a way to end a comic. It's going to be interesting to see how that plays out.

Since the cracks in the New 52 started to show this is exactly what I've thought they should do, merge elements of it with pre-Flashpoint instead of just dumping it. Johns has laid a good foundation so here's hoping others build on it well.

I admit I got a bit teary when
Barry remembered Wally

Oh, and can someone tell me who was the guy being criticized by his mom for being gay ? He looked vaguely like the Monitor guy from Final Crisis but I'm not sure.

That was the Aqualad from right before the New 52, Jackson Hyde.

Mindwipe

How is Dan Abnett? Will he be able to do Wally justice?

Well he's half of the team that invented and popularised Guardians of the Galaxy. And he writes literally all of the good Warhammer 40,000 fiction.

He's also pretty reliable timescale wise, except for a health issue a few years back.

That said he phoned in a fairly risible Transformers miniseries a few years back.

Think they're going to bring all the Watchmen into this, or just Manhattan as the big bad?

My gut is that the others are a bit of a red herring and it's just Manhattan (it certainly makes more sense if it is).

But yeah, Rebirth was good. And MTMTE #53 was also good.

Effect

This was extremely enjoyable. I just finished reading the issue and didn't expect it to be as emotional as it was. Those that read it know the part. I actually found myself tearing up a little and that surprised me as I really didn't realize lot regarding this characters comic wise. That whole section was really well done so having a detailed history wasn't really required.

Who the big "bad" is is certainly interesting and it's easy to know who it is before you even get to the end given how one character dies. It's so recognizable. I wonder if there will be a push back on that by some people.

I thought there would be more characters in this. I hadn't expected the overall cast to be as small as it was but I guess that's to the story's benefit. The seeds are planted what is to come.

I was reading it on my original Kindle Fire. I really want to upgrade to HD 8 or a 10 for a better viewing experience. The guided view is nice but seeing the entire page and reading it normally would be nice. Got to make a choice on this front.

I'm certainly in for a number of titles come next month. I just have to factor in what I can spare budget wise. Where I can cut back here and there so it doesn't feel like an added expense. Especially with some titles being released monthly.

I do wish comixology downloaded titles automatically. If I get a bigger Kindle I might not have to worry about that but their versions of the comics are worse.

Fanboy-pandering nostalgia wank that tries to serve up an emotional meta-apology for perceived slights and wrongdoings, while reinforcing old tropes and shifting the blame for said perceived slights to a previously unknown and uninvolved source of new antagonism. I've read better from Johns, and I've read worse; this is about the level he operates at now as a writer, so while I can say that expectations were largely met in that regard, the corner of the DC Universe that interests me most going into Rebirth was not well represented here so ultimately the issue was lacking.

Effect

About the end and the small nod:
The Comedian's button works on a different level and I really liked this touch by Johns. It's a small one but a nice one in that Thomas Wayne (the letter) and The Comedian (the button) were both played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan in the movies. I love stuff like that.

once morrison left action comics I stopped keeping up with my monthlies with DC (except for gotham academy, and end game)

first page says read JL 50 and superman 52, should that get me caught up to speed for rebirth #1?

not concerned with the other tie ins or book relaunches yet

last I remember
spoilers

Gordon was batman but bruce was still around in the lamest way possible so I dropped that book.

luthor joined the JL and hal took the blame for something and left or some shit, and convergence kinda made all the timelines canon again but new52 was still primary i think?

Also superman could become a sun bomb

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I thought it was good. I'm not really a Flash fan but I was still able to appreciate its emotional highs. Still not keen on the big twist. Even understanding the meta-commentary behind it, I don't like it. It feels (ironically) cynical and desperate. On a side-note, it's good to see
Dr. Fate
in his traditional costume again.

Dalek

What I really like about the reveal is that it doesn't come out and reveal a picture of the villain in the final pages of the book, however it uses visual language from watchmen and the fonts for the text to really give you a clue who it is it's subtle but if you're in the know it's a huge moment .

So Rebirth and JL 50 were amazing but who was the chick with the scars or marks on her face that didn't have such a good time in Rebirth? Think that was the only reference I didn't really get.

I didn't want to know Jokers name but they specifically said they were gonna reveal his name only then to say the chair never said it. Maybe changed the plan after response to the news?

I thought it was good. I'm not really a Flash fan but I was still able to appreciate its emotional highs. Still not keen on the big twist. Even understanding the meta-commentary behind it, I don't like it. It feels (ironically) cynical and desperate. On a side-note, it's good to see
Dr. Fate
in his traditional costume again.

I wondered if this was a different Doctor Fate somehow? Though I stopped reading the solo book so I dunno. Didn't seem like what I remember from the book.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I wondered if this was a different Doctor Fate somehow? Though I stopped reading the solo book so I dunno. Didn't seem like what I remember from the book.
Can't say for sure. The art and art design really put me off his most recent solo books too. As for the woman, her name is Pandora. Go read/watch YouTube videos about Trinity War/Flashpoint.

Dalek

So Rebirth and JL 50 were amazing but who was the chick with the scars or marks on her face that didn't have such a good time in Rebirth? Think that was the only reference I didn't really get.

I didn't want to know Jokers name but they specifically said they were gonna reveal his name only then to say the chair never said it. Maybe changed the plan after response to the news?

that's Pandora. She was a pretty important character during the birth of the New 52 up until Forever Evil and then she seemed to disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom