• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope they don't forget the character, don't think they're in any solicits so far.

There's a handful of characters who are in Rebirth but not in any of the solicits.
Him, Ryan Choi, Johnny Thunder, and Saturn Girl (probably). Figure there's still a couple of titles we haven't seen yet.

Also, what on earth was up with
Dr. Fate? That's not Khalid.

I'm sure N52 Supes will be back.
Saturn Girl said as much :)

Yeah. It's like Cyclops and the X-Men books, I'm sort of in a holding pattern until he returns, because none of the current titles do anything for me.

Well, there's also Chinese Superman and Lex Luthor. Plus Lois if you don't get hung up on Super"man."

I think I'll give Tomasi a shot, because he doesn't let me down. New Superman and Super-Sons will probably also get a taste. I know that may seem odd that I dislike Dad Superman, but am looking forward to Jon Kent's shot at Superboy, but that's the way it is.

I believe Khalid was confirmed for the Blue Beetle book though.

Yeah. It's like Cyclops and the X-Men books, I'm sort of in a holding pattern until he returns, because none of the current titles do anything for me.

I think I'll give Tomasi a shot, because he doesn't let me down. New Superman and Super-Sons will probably also get a taste. I know that may seem odd that I dislike Dad Superman, but am looking forward to Jon Kent's shot at Superboy, but that's the way it is.

I believe Khalid was confirmed for the Blue Beetle book though.

That's what I thought, but that is in no way shape or form Khalid. Dude is huge!

Kurdel

Banned
Makes sense that Mr. Oz would be
Ozymandias. Talks about good or bad being too simple, and how important the long game is. Also his first line is complimenting a boy, and he has a folder named Boys on his desktop, so it must be him.

Kurdel

Banned
My biggest questions about the last 2 pages.

Why did Doctor Manhattan fix Wally's watch, and why is time going backwards? Having him go a OCD and gradualy fixing small things slowly leading to the massive time fuckery would be an interesting story

The ending actually made me say "What the fuck" out loud. This could get very interesting.

It's a shitty move and doesn't make any sense. I predict it will be dropped from the story line within a year, tops. The io9 round table summarizes my feelings almost exactly:

James: Poor
Alan Moore
. I mean, they were never going to let the rights revert back to him, but pulling these characters into DC’s continuity feels like a real slap in the face to him.

Rob: A huge one, even more than the cynical cash-grab of
Before Watchmen. Watchmen
is an absolute classic—arguably the absolute classic— of superhero comics. I’m trying to think of another equivalent here.

Evan: **watches as Rob paints target on own back**

Rob: It’s what I do. One way of thinking about this
Watchmen
move would be to think of a generally loved and reasonably acclaimed TV series like Law & Order suddenly incorporated Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. People would lose their shit.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/io9-round-table-what-we-loved-and-hated-about-dc-comic-1778575295

Vyer

Very interesting issue. Pretty clearly follows in line with the general 'mission statement' Johns has basically been talking about, and honestly I agree with a lot of it. Legacy and relationships between the characters are one of the pillars of superhero comics.

The
Flash
payoff was well done and really hit the mark.

I like the possibilities behind the
Watchmen
move. Just enough tie in to make me interested without giving away how exactly it's going to be used. And the setup/callbacks for it were fantastic.

Great start.

LordRaptor

Evan: Putting cafeteria ketchup packets in his pockets for later…

This got me good

e:
also calling out Busiek, Simone and Waid as writers who can really roll with doing fresh things with a respect for continuity - I'd add Morrison, Giffen and Azzarello as well.
I don't exactly envy anyone who's been working on nu52 stuff from a relatively continuity free slate to now start drinking from the 'legacy' well

Regarding Flashpoint and Pandora, am I right to think that Pandora only merged the DC Universe with the Vertigo and Wildstorm universes, but the actual changes to most characters and their relationships are the result of
Dr Manhattan stealing time from the DC Universe?

It seems reasonable to assume that
Dr Manhattan
was also responsible for separating the DC, Vertigo and Wildstorm universes to weaken them for
his
impending arrival, as Pandora claimed in Flashpoint. Especially given
Wally claims that time was stolen from the DC Universe to weaken its inhabitants.

Tried it for a few issues. Could not be more disinterested. Jurgens moving to Action Comics depresses my desire even further.

Married dad Superman as an extra? Sure. As the Superman moving forward? Eh. Judging by the sales of Lois & Clark vs. the mainline titles, it wasn't the best choice, but those numbers may push higher since it's the only Superman you can get.

Its not really fair to compare sales to Action / Detective / Superman / Batman. Even third Batman / Superman books rarely come near them. Only Team books really seem to compete.
Rebirth

DC cynically and clunkily mines nostalgia in order to manipulate its fans into feeling something.

...And the fuckers got me.

Well played.

I don't think nostalgia is a bad thing in itself. The weight of build up adventures and legacy is what makes characters feel like legends and call backs are fun.

That's not to say nostalgia can't be done badly , like chunks of post-Infinite / Nu52 were nostalgic for things that didn't exist: do you remember the Silver Age when Barry wasn't associated with Iris and characters dropped like flies at every major event ?

JTripper

Rebirth

DC cynically and clunkily mines nostalgia in order to manipulate its fans into feeling something.

...And the fuckers got me.

Well played.

I legit grabbed my head in
killing joke
fashion and took a lap around my room when I reached the reveal. The fuckers got me as well.

Two quick things:

I LOVED Rebirth. I love that it prizes legacies and draws in so much continuity from so many sources.

I have become obsessed by my wish that Wonder Woman
's twin brother is gay
. Is that too much to ask?

Two quick things:

I LOVED Rebirth. I love that it prizes legacies and draws in so much continuity from so many sources.

's twin brother is gay

I wouldnt get attached to them let alone place diversity hopes on them ,
Darkseid War suggests their fate is to get eaten by the Anti-Life Equation.

ElNarez

Banned
It's a shitty move and doesn't make any sense. I predict it will be dropped from the story line within a year, tops. The io9 round table summarizes my feelings almost exactly:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/io9-round-table-what-we-loved-and-hated-about-dc-comic-1778575295

One of the points of Watchmen (in fact one of the points of Alan Moore's almost entire body of work) is that we've treated superhero fiction as sacred without considering the deeper ideological implications that carries.

Saying Watchmen, a work of superhero fiction, should be sacred goes against its entire ethos. The rights issues complicate those circumstances, but by no means they should change them.

If Watchmen is off-bounds from being examined, critiqued and re-purposed, then so is Marvelman. So is Swamp Thing. So is Allan Quatermain. So is Wendy. On and on.

Watchmen is entirely fair game.

It seemed symbolic to me as she was the personification of the creation of the New 52 in it's early issues.

After reading Justice League #50, I think
Dr. Manhattan is killing those who are aware of his existence.
In JL
Metron and Owlman were seemingly killed after gaining such awareness.
Pandora's
death
serves the narrative and as you point out, is symbolic as she is the personification of the New 52.

Was she ever all that important?This is honestly one of the few times I remembered that she existed.

They pushed her hard. She never took off. And she doesn't have the connection to other Mythos that some similar characters like Red Hood have saving them from obscurity

I will never understand the Red Hood thing either, killer Batman is not someone who should be showing up in Bat Crossovers because it makes the others look nepotistic and inconsistent. In the context of the Bats Red Hood is a villain. Helena Bertinelli Huntress was willing to kill but usually saved it for utter scum, Jason mows down mooks and shoots characters its been explicitly established he doesn't know have done anything worthy of death.

Regarding Flashpoint and Pandora, am I right to think that Pandora only merged the DC Universe with the Vertigo and Wildstorm universes, but the actual changes to most characters and their relationships are the result of

Dr Manhattan
was also responsible for separating the DC, Vertigo and Wildstorm universes to weaken them for
his
Wally claims that time was stolen from the DC Universe to weaken its inhabitants.

That seems to be the implication.

Pendas

Banned
As a huge Flash Fan, I loved Rebirth.

As a DC Fan, I loved it even more for the callbacks and the nice twist at the end. I literally screamed out "What the Fuck," at the last page. Excited to see where the universe goes now.

They pushed her hard. She never took off. And she doesn't have the connection to other Mythos that some similar characters like Red Hood have saving them from obscurity

I will never understand the Red Hood thing either, killer Batman is not someone who should be showing up in Bat Crossovers because it makes the others look nepotistic and inconsistent. In the context of the Bats Red Hood is a villain. Helena Bertinelli Huntress was willing to kill but usually saved it for utter scum, Jason mows down mooks and shoots characters its been explicitly established he doesn't know have done anything worthy of death.

All the more reason to dislike Batman's hypocritical ass who has two killer Robins under him.

Furyous

Two quick things:

's twin brother is gay

It shouldn't be as DC is really going to screw over long-term Nu52 fans anyway so go all the way with this.

Thoughts on the actual comic:

Did DC spoil this comic after during the first six issues of that
Kyle Rayner GL Nu52
comic and
JLA
second arc?
There were random timeskips that made no sense...

OG Wally should not replace Nu52 Wally as Nu52 Wally is just getting started. A flash did not appear in Titans so maybe that was the hint that something was wrong at the start. Wally's been stuck in time for 20 years or something crazy and it's incredibly messed up.

Who was the old guy in the pysch ward?
Who was the woman in social services?
Who was the woman with the hood and lots of scars on her face?
What is a Dr. Oz?
What's the significance of Batman finding the button?
It seems like DC is reaching real hard here and it shouldn't be that difficult to make new stories for a new era but they appear to be struggling. Proof of their struggle comes in the form of these retcons. I'd rather have Marvel's yearly events than DC's retcons.

All the more reason to dislike Batman's hypocritical ass who has two killer Robins under him.

Damian I'll give a bit of a pass. His first kill was before Robin (and he'd been raised as an assassin) and he's generally avoided killing since he became Robin, except one time where he had no choice and he wasn't happy about it.

Jason frequently seems to have a solution set that revolves around shooting things with bullets. Though Jason wasn't a killer until post-death and Lazarus pit and some manipulation from Talia so Batman didn't have two killer Robins. Red Hoods relationship with the other Bats is kind of a mess since as I said by Gotham rules he's a villain (maybe an Anti-Villain at best) not someone who's a protagonist.

LordRaptor

It shouldn't be as DC is really going to screw over long-term Nu52 fans anyway so go all the way with this.

Nu52 is 5 years old....

What is a Dr. Oz?

old guy = Golden Age Johnny Thunder of the JSA
woman in socials ervices = one of the LOSH, presumably Saturn Girl as a founder

ElNarez

Banned
What is a Dr. Oz?

It's implied he's Johnny Thunder, from the Justice Society of America.
Not clear, though the ring implies association with 30th century superteam the Legion of Superheroes. There's a case to be made it's Saturn Girl.
Pandora, as in, the Pandora of Greek myth, also responsible for weaving together the timeline of the new 52.
Dr. Oz is a mysterious character that's appeared in Geoff Johns' and John Romita's Superman run
We don't know yet, what we know is it got embedded in the batcave wall when Wally burst from the Speed Force

Lokimaru

If I could sum up New52 Superman it would be "Like A Boss!"
be6df6b9b31edcb158b7f6b21f26a58c.500x333x3.gif

LordRaptor

Not clear, though the ring implies association with 30th century superteam the Legion of Superheroes. There's a case to be made it's Saturn Girl.

It also has her saying she comes from a place that has free food, and it's riiiiight after Wally saying he tried to grab onto someone else going through the timestream

aly

Damian I'll give a bit of a pass. His first kill was before Robin (and he'd been raised as an assassin) and he's generally avoided killing since he became Robin, except one time where he had no choice and he wasn't happy about it.

Jason frequently seems to have a solution set that revolves around shooting things with bullets. Though Jason wasn't a killer until post-death and Lazarus pit and some manipulation from Talia so Batman didn't have two killer Robins. Red Hoods relationship with the other Bats is kind of a mess since as I said by Gotham rules he's a villain (maybe an Anti-Villain at best) not someone who's a protagonist.

I blame the need for batfamily crossovers as the cause. It's like they need Red Hood there. The batfamily relationships are all over the place. One thing I hope Rebirth fixes is Tim and Dick's relationship. This nonsense about Tim and Jason being the closest to each other is dumb Lobdell nonsense.

Apt101

The relationship between Dick and Bruce was something that did not need changing and made both characters the lesser for it. In fact, all of the Bat-family should be reverted to where they were prior to Nu52. None of it clicked for me, and none of it was better than what we had before.

I blame the need for batfamily crossovers as the cause. It's like they need Red Hood there. The batfamily relationships are all over the place. One thing I hope Rebirth fixes is Tim and Dick's relationship. This nonsense about Tim and Jason being the closest to each other is dumb Lobdell nonsense.

Its not even consistent Lobdell nonsense, if you read the War of the Robins trade you'll get whiplash from Jason and Tims relationship changing (some of them were still writing preNu52 "Replacement" Jason attitude). But in fairness to those writers that crossover like most Bat Crossovers post nu52 are a mess, different writers seem to have totally different takes on events. Its like editorial hands out 3 paragraph summaries with character lists and key events and then waves whatever comes back through.

ETA - They do seem to be suggesting that Bruce and Tim were less estranged than hitherto though in this weeks Teen Titans. It makes Batman a bit of a jerk but in a way thats quiet in character. So you might get some cleanup there too.

Lokimaru

Dr Manhattan
his

Well if the New 52 was weak then the other realities were down right pussies cause Darkseid bodied them but got his ass handed to him by the Justice League.

Does Johns even remember the shit he writes or does he just make shit up as he goes to fit the story he writing at the time?

An "It's only true till I say it's not true" kind of thing.

Hagi

It looks great. Thoughts on what
Wally's
new codename will be?
Flash and Kid Flash
are out of the running. I think
Mercury
could work well, as it reflects the silver elements of the new costume and still carries legacy.

Hoping for Impulse myself.

shingi70

Banned
What happened to him anyways? Isn't he
a Sinister experiment now?

There's a handful of characters who are in Rebirth but not in any of the solicits.
Him, Ryan Choi, Johnny Thunder, and Saturn Girl (probably). Figure there's still a couple of titles we haven't seen yet.

Kent Nelson just came back and is Khalids uncle, he might get the helmet back or give Kahlaid the regular costume.

besada

Banned
I am sad for some of the great books coming to a close at DC, and Rebirth still looks like an amazing fuckaroo that's just going to piss everyone off in the end, but dammit, seeing
Saturn Girl
and
old man Johnny Thunder
was worth it.

Also, good riddance Nu52. Suck a bag of hammers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom