• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdel

Banned
Comixology or Amazon? Which one has the better scan quality? It would be easier for me to use Amazon, but I had really bad experiences in the past with art books badly compressed for kindle.

Amazon own Comixology, so I guess there is a lot of shared assets.

WSJ may have won the title of worst Rebirth puff piece with just two sentences:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016...-legacy-of-watchmen-with-dc-universe-rebirth/

Is the age of “Watchmen” dominating the comic-book conversation coming to an end? If DC Comics creative chief Geoff Johns has his way, it just might be.

Yes, that's exactly why you'd hinge your biggest relaunch in five years on the shock value of introducing Watchmen characters into the DCU. Because you want people to stop talking about Watchmen.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I really liked it. That epilogue hit me hard.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wait, what? Who was it then?

That won't be hard to do with him in the Teen Titans. Although I wonder how they are going to separate them in the Flash books. Saying Black Wally and White Wally would be rude.

I'd guess
Doc Manhattan

TheFlow

Banned
Black flash will hopefully be called kid flash after this since that is what white Wally calls him

Plus the dude is in high school

tkscz

Black flash will hopefully be called kid flash after this since that is what white Wally calls him

Plus the dude is in high school

People were referring to him as black flash? Even when he wore that god awful silver and black suit, everyone called him Kid Flash.

There...isn't one. Which is my biggest complaint. It's just tossing out all these ideas and insanity, and leaving it up to individual writers on their series to pick up the ball. I don't see most of them carrying this story line out to fruition. They'll be too busy, you know, writing compelling stories with their characters.

This isn't really about a story. It's about ideas and setting up the DC Universe going forward. It's, at least as presented, about a new direction and focus. It's not really an event or the like. It's just trying to give enough of a "why" to place an undercurrent to both the N52 and the new Rebirth direction while setting up for continuing this in the future. It's about the past and the future more than the present, essentially.

The thing that kind of stuck out to me was that
there's absolutely no sign of the Watchmen. There's Manhattan, sure, and there's the Comedian's button... but that's buried in the wall of the Batcave. It's unlikely somebody walked in and stuck it there. I really don't think the Watchmen are going to be a factor in this, just Manhattan. And the way he's handled will be very interesting.

TheFlow

Banned
People were referring to him as black flash? Even when he wore that god awful silver and black suit, everyone called him Kid Flash.
No I am using black flash so you guys know which one I am talking about lol.

But I am glad he is called kid flash then.

Even knowing what the reveal was, that shit got me

You got me interested again, DC

Well, Johns is basically promising the opposite of a dark brooding mess. It's just not really something he can keep himself so it's up to, uh, everyone else to hold up the DC end of this bargain.

Exactly

I mean, in the book wally even says
"There's going to be a war between hope and despair"

the new threat is very obviously the second part of that quote

What will the first wave of Rebirth one-shots cover that won't be in the relaunched serials?

I'm not sure how this works. Until today I've only bought old hardcover compilations of comics. Rebirth is the first time I plan to follow monthly and pay for it.

TheFlow

Banned
What will the first wave of Rebirth one-shots cover that won't be in the relaunched serials?

I'm not sure how this works. Until today I've only bought old hardcover compilations of comics. Rebirth is the first time I plan to follow monthly and pay for it.
Introduction and then #1 is when the story arc begins for each title I believe

Best I can tell they're basically just #1s with a different name, probably so they can have two #1s for those books.

MartyStu

Rebirth

DC cynically and clunkily mines nostalgia in order to manipulate its fans into feeling something.

...And the fuckers got me.

Well played.

anaron

idgaf about Moore

this is so great as a mission statement and apology

(now please boot the trinity of evil known as Didio, Harass and Lee)

Looked at getting JL#50. $5.99, what the hell? I hope $2.99 is the max they'll sell the new serials for otherwise my foray into buying new comics will end as fast as it began.

It's all 3 dollars now.
For new titles
That's really good. Going through the DC Comixology app and seeing some of these price to page ratios, it's no wonder comics have a hard time retaining readers. $3.99 for 25 pages of Superman? $5.99 for 40 pages of Justice League?

This standardized $2.99 price point is probably the best thing DC has done recently.

cr0w

Old Member
there's absolutely no sign of the Watchmen. There's Manhattan, sure, and there's the Comedian's button... but that's buried in the wall of the Batcave. It's unlikely somebody walked in and stuck it there. I really don't think the Watchmen are going to be a factor in this, just Manhattan. And the way he's handled will be very interesting.

There's some rumblings that the other
Watchmen
are still around.

One of the Jokers has been speculated to be The Comedian, while the 'Mr. Oz' that talks to OG Superman outside his house could very well be Ozymandias. What he says to him might imply that New 52 Superman was a genetic creation of his, similar to Bubastis and the psychic squid. Also, in one of the previous books (I can't remember which one), there are hints that Rorshach may be the new The Question.

More details here.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Oh fucking Lol if

The thing The Question did that was so awful was sending his journal to a newspaper. And his punishment was being banished to the New 52.

There's some rumblings that the other
Watchmen
are still around.

One of the Jokers has been speculated to be The Comedian, while the 'Mr. Oz' that talks to OG Superman outside his house could very well be Ozymandias. What he says to him might imply that New 52 Superman was a genetic creation of his, similar to Bubastis and the psychic squid. Also, in one of the previous books (I can't remember which one), there are hints that Rorshach may be the new The Question.

More details here.

Ehhhh

The Comedian's button being bloody implies he's already dead, and there's no real connection with the Joker aside from the "violent sociopath with a sick sense of humor" angle. None of 'em look like him, that's for sure. Mr. Oz, I hadn't picked up on the name thing, but he also doesn't look a thing like Ozymandias. Feels like a stretch. Rorschach as the Question is an interesting possibility, though. Nothing noteworthy has come of that whole Trinity of Sin thing anyway, so I guess we'll have to see.

Dalek

In regards to the
button....you can see it fly out of the Speedforce when Wally appears in the Batcave, if I'm not mistaken. You see something hit the wall with a *ding*

That's really good. Going through the DC Comixology app and seeing some of these price to page ratios, it's no wonder comics have a hard time retaining readers. $3.99 for 25 pages of Superman? $5.99 for 40 pages of Justice League?

This standardized $2.99 price point is probably the best thing DC has done recently.

JL is 48 pages though which is almost 50. If you don't have a problem with 25 page $3 comics then whats your deal with Justice League costing twice as much for twice as many pages.

LordRaptor

There is a conversation between two unspecified people in the epilogue, one of whom is named Adrian.

LordRaptor

Lifted verbatim
from Watchmen.

(you should probably spoiler tag that)

Structurally it is a part of this book, even if
it has meta-referential properties

e:
I mean, it is
Wally's
watch being shown, while unseen narrators are having a conversation

JL is 48 pages though which is almost 50. If you don't have a problem with 25 page $3 comics then whats your deal with Justice League costing twice as much for twice as many pages.
Inconsistency.

A flat fee doesn't feel as much of a hit to the wallet as inconsistent prices regardless of page numbers. Paying $12 a month for two ongoing series feels much better than the way it Was handled before.

Did you try to read Lois and Clark ? I'm not a Dan Jurgens fan by any means but that has been my favorite Superman book by far in recent months, it's really solid. New 52 Superman was a mess with a few bright spots here and there until Tomasi rescued him. And Super Sons looks gorgeous, I love Superboy's costume.

Tried it for a few issues. Could not be more disinterested. Jurgens moving to Action Comics depresses my desire even further.

Married dad Superman as an extra? Sure. As the Superman moving forward? Eh. Judging by the sales of Lois & Clark vs. the mainline titles, it wasn't the best choice, but those numbers may push higher since it's the only Superman you can get.

TheFlow

Banned
The set up outlined by Rebirth one-shot is really good. If they don't screw up bad, we may actually have a clean DC universe for one. I'd like to hear what are the real essentials book outside that one-shot.
Essential as in what? Each book is doing their own story arcs.

Titans is probably the quickest way to figure out what's going on with the timeline

tim1138

Tried it for a few issues. Could not be more disinterested. Jurgens moving to Action Comics depresses my desire even further.

Married dad Superman as an extra? Sure. As the Superman moving forward? Eh. Judging by the sales of Lois & Clark vs. the mainline titles, it wasn't the best choice, but those numbers may push higher since it's the only Superman you can get.

I'm sure N52 Supes will be back.
Saturn Girl said as much :)

Well, there's also Chinese Superman and Lex Luthor. Plus Lois if you don't get hung up on Super"man."

I'm sure N52 Supes will be back.
Saturn Girl said as much :)

Plus, it's comics. No body, no death.

And even then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom