• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind Red Robin, but he's the least essential of the Robins.

Dick: the successful protégé.

Jason: the failed protégé.

Damien: the obligated protégé.

Tim: the also successful protégé, but less so.

I don't know, I always had a soft spot for Tim. I follow comics since late 70s. Tim is great, but mainly he became great with New Titans (I guess I remember too much the Superfriends show), and he is a better Nightwing than Robin. Jason us always a copycat failure to me (although I kinda like Red Hood). Tim bought new things to the table. He was tech, in sync with the times, was the first to change that dumb outfit (and the new one was great yet ressambles the legacy of the old one). His trainning (specially with Dick) are really strong in my memory.

Sou Da

Tim's a great detective that would shine better in his own series than anything but no one plays that up anymore. He was also the only Robin that still had a scrap of his own family left but Identity Crisis destroyed that.

He pretty much got kicked to the curb since Damien came along with his easy arc of "killer robin".

I'd be fine with just Tim & Dick as robins, Jason has never been interesting to me beyond Under the Red Hood, and Damien is a brat.

I still need to finish Morrison's Run though, people praise the Dick/Damien combo.

I don't really agree with this. Tim's the detective, and when that angle, along with his skills with tech are used, I feel the character really shines. Tim uses his intelligence for what he lacks in fighting skills, which was always something I loved about the character. He's my favorite DC character and my favorite Robin; him and Dick were the best in the role, in my opinion.

On the new costume: I think it's an improvement but it makes him look too much like a Robin. It's weird to have him look like a Robin unless he's essentially becoming Robin again, which would be a step down considering he was his own hero. Things can't get any worse for the character so we'll see what happens. Tynion loves the character, so hopefully we can at least get a well written Tim, that's all I'm asking for at this point.

TheFlow

Banned
yea Damien kinda made Tim go underappreaciated. I like the character more so than Todd.

the improved red robin costume is awesome but why get rid of all the red and such. should of kept the same color sheme.

I'd be fine with just Tim & Dick as robins, Jason has never been interesting to me beyond Under the Red Hood, and Damien is a brat.

I still need to finish Morrison's Run though, people praise the Dick/Damien combo.

That's because it is so gooooood. Dick is the brother he never had, he stops being such a brat thanks to his influence.

Also do read Black Mirror if you can.

MartyStu

Honestly, Rebirth is feeling a lot less like an event than I was expecting it to. There doesn't even seem to be a plot string connecting the oneshots, so it really seems one-and-done. And the one in question didn't have much of a plot to it either. It's more of a reorientation, or mission statement, or apology tour. idk.

Eh, Rocafort made it look good.

The worst part about Jason's design is that LITERALLY NOBODY can agree on how to draw that damn helmet, apparently. I've seen it change multiple times in an issue. Every artist does it differently.

You mean the best part.

I love it when artists are free to add their own flourishes to characters.

The fact that Red Hood pretty never looks the same is almost a meta joke at this point.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The worst part about Jason is that somehow to reasons I dont understand he seems to be the only one who is a welcome part of the Batfamily who is allowed to kill

You mean the best part.

I love it when artists are free to add their own flourishes to characters.

The fact that Red Hood pretty never looks the same is almost a meta joke at this point.

Ugh, no. Just pick a look and stick to it. I don't wanna see lips in one panel and blank face in the next.

The worst part about Jason is that somehow to reasons I dont understand he seems to be the only one who is a welcome part of the Batfamily who is allowed to kill

He hasn't really killed anyone recently. Nobody human, at any rate.

So I haven't read it and won't be able to buy comics for a while,
With Wally back now is he actually back in continuity or just existing in general again?
Like does Barry saving him and remembering mean everyone else does/will.

He's probably killed some fodder just by the way he fights but they were trying to make it a point that he was wanting to stop killing and be better. It was the one good aspect of the Jokers daughter plot but got screwed by Rebirth and shortchanged. The idea of him having to kill her if she screwed up and killed someone could have been a cool plotline.

So I haven't read it and won't be able to buy comics for a while,
With Wally back now is he actually back in continuity or just existing in general again?
Like does Barry saving him and remembering mean everyone else does/will.

I think so. Barry remembers Wally properly and Wally's return seems to act as a catalyst of sorts for everyone else. As Johns said, Wally sorta represented the love and legacy of DC with the Flash family and Linda etc.

Thanks,
Linda is the main point in that I was wondering about.

I haven't got the issue to hand but I think Wally tried to recconnect with Linda but she didn't quite reocgnize him but it was like Black Canary/Green Arrow in that there's some spark between them and they know somethings missing. I suppose we have to wait for Titans or w/e book Wally is in but he's certainly remembered "properly", at least thats how I understood it.

Kevinroc

I haven't got the issue to hand but I think Wally tried to recconnect with Linda but she didn't quite reocgnize him but it was like Black Canary/Green Arrow in that there's some spark between them and they know somethings missing. I suppose we have to wait for Titans or w/e book Wally is in but he's certainly remembered "properly", at least thats how I understood it.

We didn't see Linda again after she didn't remember Wally. It left Wally so despondent that he was just about ready to just be absorbed into the Speed Force.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if Wally meets Linda again.

We didn't see Linda again after she didn't remember Wally. It left Wally so despondent that he was just about ready to just be absorbed into the Speed Force.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if Wally meets Linda again.

Ah ok, and yeah. I'm sure they will meet at some point, but I guess his main appearances will be in Titans since The Flash's first arc is Barry(?) vs Godspeed. I assume when they do the next proper "chapter" of Rebirth (as in the stuff with Dr Manhattan) Wally will be the main Flash.

Where would you all want Wally to land? Obviously he has a place on Titans, but I don't see him usurping Barry for the Flash title or his place in the JL. I think they'll test the water and make a flash family book with Wally, Jesse, Bart, NuWally etc, sort of like Waid's run, that was the plan before new 52 iirc.

Ah ok, and yeah. I'm sure they will meet at some point, but I guess his main appearances will be in Titans since The Flash's first arc is Barry(?) vs Godspeed. I assume when they do the next proper "chapter" of Rebirth (as in the stuff with Dr Manhattan) Wally will be the main Flash.

Haha. Not if Johns has anything to say about it. He loves Wally, but Barry Allen is his favorite.

tim1138

Where would you all want Wally to land? Obviously he has a place on Titans, but I don't see him usurping Barry for the Flash title or his place in the JL. I think they'll test the water and make a flash family book with Wally, Jesse, Bart, NuWally etc, sort of like Waid's run, that was the plan before new 52 iirc.

Bring on the Speed Force book that the N52 deprived us of!

Squire

Banned

I don't want him in Flash just because that art is so awful. I do want to follow his story though, so hopefully Titans delivers.

No, Barry wilk be the main Flash, n52 Kid Flash will continue to be, Wally will be something else on Titans. I think you can see a velocist in a red suit at the far left of the Rebirth cover.

doop_

Banned
Not familiar with DC comics and I just finished reading Watchmen and DC rebirth. Will we be getting a watchmen book ? Also when will they deal with Dr.Manhattan

aly

Tim needs to be appreciated more. He was easily my favorite Robin as Robin and I like his Pre- 52 Red Robin series. He really got pushed to the side with Damian but maybe they are working on fixing it. Maybe. That outfit is still better than the stupid Falcon looking one.

I'm not really sure were Wally should go. I just want him to get ample page time.

NeonZ

Not familiar with DC comics and I just finished reading Watchmen and DC rebirth. Will we be getting a watchmen book ? Also when will they deal with Dr.Manhattan

We probably need to see Manhattan and his plan properly revealed before anything more involving the character is announced. The Titans book apparently will involve Wally and the one behind stolen time. So, Manhattan should pop up there. I doubt it'll be anything big initially though, otherwise they'd be advertising it more.

Ashby

"Sort of like the best superhero run of all time." Yeah, I hope you're right on this one.

doop_

Banned
We probably need to see Manhattan and his plan properly revealed before anything more involving the character is announced. The Titans book apparently will involve Wally and the one behind stolen time. So, Manhattan should pop up there, I doubt it'll be anything big initially though, otherwise they'd be advertising it more.
Thanks for the information.

"Sort of like the best superhero run of all time." Yeah, I hope you're right on this one.

Hmmm, this might be heresy but I though Waid's run dipped a bit in some parts. It peaked with Return of Barry Allen imo. There were moments after that, like impulse's introduction and terminal velocity, but I liked John's run better.

Best DC run for me (non vertigo) is still JSA, though Morrison's JLA isn't so far behind.

ReiGun

Perez on WW still the GOAT for me, with Rucka on the same and Morrison on JLA sharing a close second.

Kind of excited for Rucka to come back to Diana, but admittedly that's more for "Year One" than for whatever "The Lies" ends up being. Though I don't doubt Rucka's skills as a writer, I'm not so hot on the idea of Wonder Woman having a twin brother.

It's not "Cap is Hydra" level sacrilege, but just not an idea I'm much interested in. Mostly because I'm in the camps of "Diana's origin was fine as it was," and "if she must have a twin, let's bring back Nubia."

ZeroX03

Banned
Barry is keeping The Flash book until the TV show and movie universe end at least. I'm sure Wally could get a solo-ish title under the Speed Force mantle or whatever they want to call it. We'll see how Titans plays out.

Its weird. I swear in an interview he said Wally was hs fav because he summized DC but considering his love for Hal (who i like) over Kyle etc in GL...

Yes he did say Wally was his favorite. The worship for Barry comes from Crisis being Johns' first real comic event, so there's a reverence for that sacrifice.

Why he chose to tell the story through Wally’s viewpoint:

“He’s my favorite character! … I love Wally West, I grew up with him as the Flash, I think he’s a great character."

http://www.blastr.com/2016-5-25/reb...f-johns-offers-depth-breakdown-epic-new-comic

He always said Flash was his favorite during new 52... not saying which one. I get the feeling he didn't want to go against the company line by saying his favorite was Wally.

Now he's pretty much trashing the new 52.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is Johns co-writer just for that issue?

Don't really like Humphries. All I want is for GL & Flash to be good again.

Ashby

Hmmm, this might be heresy but I though Waid's run dipped a bit in some parts. It peaked with Return of Barry Allen imo. There were moments after that, like impulse's introduction and terminal velocity, but I liked John's run better.

Best DC run for me (non vertigo) is still JSA, though Morrison's JLA isn't so far behind.

I somehow have not read much at all of Johns' run

Is Johns co-writer just for that issue?

Don't really like Humphries. All I want is for GL & Flash to be good again.

Yeah, I think just for that issue. I haven't read any Humphries work but some new blood in GL should be fun and comparatively new/untapped characters in Baz and Cruz are interesting. That said you can tell Johns co-wrote since the first page talks about Hal Jordan :p

Just found out the comic book store here in my town closed over a year ago. Oops.

Books a million didn't have Rebirth. Do they sell it at Walmart?

I somehow have not read much at all of Johns' run

It's a different take than Waid's, more focus on sciency stuff but still speed force things, less focus on the other flash family characters and more on rogues. The best part of the run by far is the creation of a new villain and Wally's 3 worst days. They're both good in their own ways.Morrison's stuff is also great if you haven't read that yet.

I think they're reprinting all the trades. I know John's flash has tp vol 1/2 out, Waid is getting reprinted later this year and so is Morrison.

TheFlow

Banned
Batman Rebirth pic

BMREB-1-2-3-46567.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Calendar Man with roman numerals tattooed to his head? Doesn't he usually have the months' abbreviations?

My first thought was it was a Clock King redesign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom