• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never thought I would, but im gonna start picking up floppies. Im too into it to trade wait the big stuff right now. Gotta live in the moment.

Right now my plans are to just stick to the trinity. Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman bi-monthlies. And when JL starts up if its good Ill add that.

My once a month comic shop stop is now going to be a weekly adventure. Yay? Yay!

If Tomasi/Gleason Superman is half as good as GLC it should be a treat and a memorable Superman run.

Grayson started well, but usually Nightwing/Grayson were in the 30-40k range, which is decent, but unspectacular.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-comics-month-to-month-sales-july-2014-75-years-of-batman/
http://batman-news.com/2016/04/16/monthly-comic-book-sales-report-january-and-february-2016/

Hopefully the book does well as I like the character, but I suspect it'll not stay twice monthly for too long.

Yeah 30-40k is sadly decent for this day and age of comics.

Unfortunately that spot probably goes to Harley now.

Yeah, I still have no idea why she's so popular. I don't care much for her and deadpool being so big.

Keep in mind, 30-40k is the Diamond figure, which doesn't account for digital sales at all. For some books, that's actually a pretty significant percentage. Like, Gotham Academy has pretty miserable physical totals, but is apparently doing very well online.

And of course there's Saga, which is its own ridiculous thing.

I'm really happy for Mikal Janin getting to work on Batman. I remember being really impressed with his work in Justice League Dark, its great that hes doing bigger things

Superman and Green Lanterns appear to be up on Comixology. Both are listed as available to add to cart, instead of pre-order. Checking out now.

Squire

Banned
I'm really happy for Mikal Janin getting to work on Batman. I remember being really impressed with his work in Justice League Dark, its great that hes doing bigger things

Absolutely. That art is so gorgeous. I wish Milligan had stayed on past that first arc. I need to buy that first trade physical at some point.

Oof, Superman wasn't that good. Mahnke's art was off: panels weren't well laid out and in several panels, Superman looked like Michael Jackson.

Here's a few more reviews for the Rebirth books.

Superman: Rebirth #1 Reviews:
https://bigcomicpage.com/2016/06/01/review-superman-rebirth-1-dc-comics/
http://www.weirdsciencedccomics.com/2016/06/superman-rebirth-1-review-and-spoilers.html

Green Arrow: Rebirth #1 Reviews:
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2016/06/01/green-arrow-rebirth-1-review/
http://www.weirdsciencedccomics.com/2016/06/green-arrow-rebirth-1-review.html?m=1#more
Of all the solo Rebirth books so far, Green Arrow made me the happiest.

Batman: Rebirth #1 Review:
https://bigcomicpage.com/2016/06/01/review-batman-rebirth-1-dc-comics/

Pre-Release Wonder Woman: Rebirth #1 Review:
http://boundingintocomics.com/2016/06/01/comic-book-review-wonder-woman-rebirth-1/
Greg Rucka’s writing breathes life into Diana in a way that is very noticeable. Her range is both real, interesting, and complex.

Hagi

Not sure that I was expecting Green Arrow to be the best of the three Rebirth books I bought today but damn if t wasn't. Batman was okay as was Superman, the art was definitely a bit wonky in the latter. Seems Mahnke went all in with the flashback then remembered he had to draw the rest of the book.

Not sure that I was expecting Green Arrow to be the best of the three Rebirth books I bought today but damn if t wasn't. Batman was okay as was Superman, the art was definitely a bit wonky in the latter. Seems Mahnke went all in with the flashback then remembered he had to draw the rest of the book.

Green Arrow was fantastic. Ben Percy had one chance to sell me on the book and boy did he deliver. It helps that the art is so damn good. Reading Green Arrow after Superman was a great palette cleanser.

Batman Rebirth seemed weak to me. Duke is introduced as not-Robin to set up All-Star and Bruce gets his wealth back (in a couple of pages) but otherwise it just felt like an over compressed standard story.

Pretty forgettable Calendar Man too even though he's some kind of nature based semi-science meta of infinite ability to refine himself now. Which should be impressive but all those beats have been done before and without time to distinguish himself and his differences its just sort of blugh.

Will still pick up Batman and All Star and see if they go better without the page count limiting them so much.

ETA - Also while I know Bruce uses extreme sport to cover for accidents / fitness the stuff he was doing in front of Lucius and well and truly photograble by dedicated paparazzi seems a trifle over the top for someone concealing that they are Batman.

Damn like nothing happened in Green Lanterns or Superman. I think I'm gonna skip the rest of the Rebirth intro books cus these seem like they are just snacks but they aren't priced like it (relatively to other comics of course).

Damn like nothing happened in Green Lanterns or Superman. I think I'm gonna skip the rest of the Rebirth intro books cus these seem like they are just snacks but they aren't priced like it (relatively to other comics of course).

Yep, not much happened in Supeman besides
progressing the story to where Clark is willing to take up the Superman mantle

What did you think of Azzarello run? I feel like Perez will forever stay my ideal Wondie world.

Azzarello was my first time reading Wonder Woman, outside of the Blackest Night tie-in. I honestly loved his run, but I didn't have much to compare it to. I'm keen to read more, but I wasn't taken with Meredith Finch's writing and dropped Wonder Woman.

Does the new Tom King issue compare to Scott Snyder's? Snyder's run was for the ages.

Well it was a tiny taster, and probably written months ago. It was fine, but you could have imagined it being a 3-4 issue arc or something, just hyper compressed into 20 pages. Art was lovely, but it felt like King had a good voice for the characters. A promising start at least

What did you think of Azzarello run? I feel like Perez will forever stay my ideal Wondie world.

Azzarello was my first time reading Wonder Woman, outside of the Blackest Night tie-in. I honestly loved his run, but I didn't have much to compare it to. I'm keen to read more, but I wasn't taken with Meredith Finch's writing and dropped Wonder Woman.

Classic Perez after 1st Crysis is the best Wonder Woman period. It is a little bit cheesy sometimes and too much classical look (togas!) but remains timeless. It is on comixology, so check it!

I loved Azzarello n52 for a while, until I unterstood how much he butchered the character. Sure it was a breaf of fresh air, a nice new look for the gods, the changes in her outfit were great (silver instead of gold, looked much more like a body armor) but..... 1) Changed her origin - ok, mud baby was a little bit dumb, but Perez had the best explanation for it, making her a demigod was a drastic change. 2) The Amazons. At first it was interesting, having a more savage, like the legends, amazons. But when you look deeper, savage warriors that rapes and kills sailors.... That was not a message of peace, was it? Makes you wonder how Wonder Woman came from them, and what is her mission really. An ambassador of peace? From who?

tim1138

Classic Perez after 1st Crysis is the best Wonder Woman period. It is a little bit cheesy sometimes and too much classical look (togas!) but remains timeless. It is on comixology, so check it!

I loved Azzarello n52 for a while, until I unterstood how much he butchered the character. Sure it was a breaf of fresh air, a nice new look for the gods, the changes in her outfit were great (silver instead of gold, looked much more like a body armor) but..... 1) Changed her origin - ok, mud baby was a little bit dumb, but Perez had the best explanation for it, making her a demigod was a drastic change. 2) The Amazons. At first it was interesting, having a more savage, like the legends, amazons. But when you look deeper, savage warriors that rapes and kills sailors.... That was not a message of peace, was it? Makes you wonder how Wonder Woman came from them, and what is her mission really. An ambassador of peace? From who?

This is a great post and should not go overlooked.

Week 1 Rebirth power rankings:

Green Arrow - that last page though
Green Lanterns - legitimately good with some humor
Superman - solid work from Tomasi, Mahnke's art kinda falls apart in the back half
Batman - interesting story with some random kid I didn't recognize.

shingi70

Banned
Whew Green Arrow was great. I knew Percy had it in him, and the main bad guys looks pretty creepy. Superman felt like it should have been apart of the super league crossover from last month. The ending did get me, and I'm wondering if it's meant to echo BvS.

Yeah, just read the 4 rebirth issues:

From best to worst:

1. Green Arrow: I was suprised just how good this issue was. Ollie as self described SJW fits his character perfectly, and the stuff with Dinah was a lot of fun. I loved them calling each other out on their bullshit, and the story was perfectly paced for a 20 page comic. One of the best single issue stores I have read in a long time.

2. Batman: Not amazing, but still pretty good, the art was great, but I am a little unsure if I like the whole re-imagining of Calendar man, though it was pretty creepy. I don't know much about Duke, as I haven't read We Are Robin, but I'm willing to give him a shot. Glad he isn't Robin though, Damien needs to stay in that role.

3. Superman: Not a lot happened, but it did have some cool stuff. I really wish he would have worn the suit by the end. I also wanted to see more of his family. I could have sworn that Supes had already died to Doomsday in the Nu52 though, though I guess that reference was made early on.

4. Green Lanterns: Not a lot happened either, but it was a decent introduction to the characters. I knew nothing about Baz, and I liked Jessica going in, and the book set up an interesting dynamic. I did think it was odd that Hal did what he did though, it seems super dangerous and limiting in case something happens.

Overall happy with the books. But GA was the big surprise.

TheFlow

Banned
Green Arrow is fucking amazing and one of the best #1 I ever read

From comicgaf

Honestly this is one of the best #1 I read of anything. The art, the panel placement, and the words all came together with the action. They got Green arrow's and Canary's voice just right and the chemistry is awesome. Percy makes you feel like these two belong together and Otto captures that.

KonradLaw

Love it that the Green Arrow is getting such a great response. This and Hellblazer are the ones I care most about from Rebirth. Going to buy it tomorrow (I have to go through Comixology and there;s big fat zero on my credit card till tomorrow :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom