• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sou Da

I liked Bizarro. Artemis is bad, Red Robin is too Robin, Tim deserves more. Batman Beyond looks never fit the comics, its asthetics were great from the show, but in the more realistic comics it always looks off. But those eyes...
At this point Tim just needs a whole new original Alter-ego.

Also
6AoRWJI.jpg

"On my world it means 'stop'"

Tim dropping the wings seems really weird given that they gave a demonstrable advantage with no drawback. It doesn't make much logical sense.

I get that it also doesn't look like Gotham Street Hero equipment either (it's more like Freeze's gear or the low grade mech suits Batman pulls out rarely) but that's a meta level thing.

MartyStu

That Batman Beyond suit will live and die by how well the book's artist draws it and keeps to the sheet.

I.E.: He should ignore it as much as possible.

I just noticed they wrote body type of a 17 year old on there.

Have they ever seen a Chinese 17 year old?

Yeah, that was a bit of a wtf to me, but other than that I dig the costume.

Didn't notice the stars on his shoulder tho, that's probably gonna go in a big protest moment.

NeonZ

The Beyond suit in a more detailed style should just have a covered mouth. The costume doesn't work with a visible one as soon as there are details added to it.

CazTGG

So that redesign is "beyond" terrible. Far too detailed reimagining of one of the DCAU's most ingeniously simple design, to say nothing of its use of color and where: Black costume from head to rocket powered toes with red wings and bat symbol along with white eyes.

I can't be the only one to make that "beyond" joke, am I?

So that redesign is "beyond" terrible. Far too detailed reimagining of one of the DCAU's most ingeniously simple design, to say nothing of its use of color and where: Black costume from head to rocket powered toes with red wings and bat symbol along with white eyes.

I can't be the only one to make that "beyond" joke, am I?

So far you were.

Can't have nice things.

kek

But yeah, the Beyond suit is kind of a direct product of Timm's style, and there's a very good reason it rarely works outside of it; too much detail ruins the suit. Granted, this particular example has a lot else going wrong with it, but that fundamental flaw would still be there even if the red eyes, soles, and the jowls were fixed.

Ross61

How good are Batman Beyond book sales? Hardly think it will survive for long after DC tracks the sales and decide to cut some series in favor of others.

Also, finished most of my backlog of reading that I wanted to finish before Rebirth, All I got to do is finish Grayson and I'll be all up to speed. Bet I could get it done before Thursday.

Probably going to get all the Rebirth issues next week.

How good are Batman Beyond book sales? Hardly think it will survive for long after DC tracks the sales and decide to cut some series in favor of others.

Also, finished most of my backlog of reading that I wanted to finish before Rebirth, All I got to do is finish Grayson and I'll be all up to speed. Bet I could get it done before Thursday.

Probably going to get all the Rebirth issues next week.

Around 30 k. Similar to Batgirl , a bit above Teen Titans and well ahead of Red Hood. Should be safe. Though given that was Tim and this is Terry that may not hold.

At this point Tim just needs a whole new original Alter-ego.

Also
6AoRWJI.jpg

"On my world it means 'stop'"

I've never been a fan of "Red Robin." It's like, "I don't want to change my name, but it's still different." Like that high school graduate who has nothing going on so he still hangs out in the parking lot. This new redesign really reinforces that. Meanwhile, Damien's off doing his own damn thing. Then again, being Robin was sort of his whole dream.

Also, that particular Supes costume has way too much red for my taste. It literally makes me think of Tim's old costume.

He believes in the Gotham that believes in him

Red Robin is fine as a name. Having in a vaguely Robin outfit is fine.

I'm mystified that he's not in a color scheme that would fit the name "Red Robin".

Like so:

latest

Red, Black, and yellow for highlights.

Red Robin is a terrible name.

Which is fitting.

Because his costumes are also terrible.

As is Tim himself.
Y'all finished or y'all done?
Red Robin is fine as a name. Having in a vaguely Robin outfit is fine.

I'm mystified that he's not in a color scheme that would fit the name "Red Robin".

Like so:

latest

Red, Black, and yellow for highlights.
That was always a good outfit. So was Barbara's, which is why I'm glad it was integrated into the main DCU

ZeroX03

Banned
I like the name Red Robin, although I always forget it's a restaurant until I google him.

Also one of the few New 52 designs I liked, fond of the wings for some reason.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I don't mind Red Robin, but he's the least essential of the Robins.

Dick: the successful protégé.

Jason: the failed protégé.

Damien: the obligated protégé.

Tim: the also successful protégé, but less so.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Red eyes for Batman Beyond just makes him look evil. That's like, the most basic, primal reaction to it, so I don't know why the hell they'd go in that direction.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious how this'll play out. Usually DC events have high chances to turn out a huge mess, but this one so far seems way less confusing than it probably should be.

Actually excited about the Joker thing. It would explain a lot
of questionable storywriting

Same.

But mostly because I love Helena Wayne:

Looks like DC just took that design, improved it a little, then added a ton of unneeded detail. His is another case of hoping the artist ignores the sheet.

I've always loved that picture. I would kill for a Robin like that in a live-action Batman film but that's probably never happening.

The worst Batfamily costume is when people draw Jason's Red Hood mask to fit his face, lips and nose instead of the smooth red texture.

He's the true heir to the detective mantle.
Yup. Pretty sure Bruce has said before in the comics that Tim will likely surpass him as a detective as he gets older.

I'm curious how this'll play out. Usually DC events have high chances to turn out a huge mess, but this one so far seems way less confusing than it probably should be.

Actually excited about the Joker thing. It would explain a lot
of questionable storywriting

Honestly, Rebirth is feeling a lot less like an event than I was expecting it to. There doesn't even seem to be a plot string connecting the oneshots, so it really seems one-and-done. And the one in question didn't have much of a plot to it either. It's more of a reorientation, or mission statement, or apology tour. idk.

The worst Batfamily costume is when people draw Jason's Red Hood mask to fit his face, lips and nose instead of the smooth red texture.

Eh, Rocafort made it look good.

The worst part about Jason's design is that LITERALLY NOBODY can agree on how to draw that damn helmet, apparently. I've seen it change multiple times in an issue. Every artist does it differently.

Ross61

Honestly, Rebirth is feeling a lot less like an event than I was expecting it to. There doesn't even seem to be a plot string connecting the oneshots, so it really seems one-and-done. And the one in question didn't have much of a plot to it either. It's more of a reorientation, or mission statement, or apology tour. idk.

The worst part about Jason's design is that LITERALLY NOBODY can agree on how to draw that damn helmet, apparently. I've seen it change multiple times in an issue. Every artist does it differently.

Rebirth is just the first of it, the various plot lines that were in the comic are gonna be explored throughout their respective books. Didio clarified a statement about and line-wide event that would happen in a few years. As far as I can tell, they have a plan and are sticking by it.

I'll agree with you on the artists having no clue with what design to stick with but anything that shows the mask like it's fitted for his face is creepy and terrible.

tumblr_inline_nmt6ocdMVD1smk9mx_250.png

This is just the worst.

Rebirth is just the first of it, the various plot lines that were in the comic are gonna be explored throughout their respective books. Didio clarified a statement about and line-wide event that would happen in a few years. As far as I can tell, they have a plan and are sticking by it.

Oh, yeah, they're clearly setting up for stuff down the line, but as for what's happening in the immediate future, Rebirth wise, it... seems to be pretty minimal plotwise.

I'll agree with you on the artists having no clue with what design to stick with but anything that shows the mask like it's fitted for his face is creepy and terrible.

tumblr_inline_nmt6ocdMVD1smk9mx_250.png

This is just the worst.

Nothing Rocafort draws can be "the worst."

Accept my Rumblr request m8

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

You're probably right, but I'm hoping they'll add on what happened in the Rebirth title in the single oneshots. That said yeah, it doesn't have the impact of other multiple issues spanning mega events and crisises, which is indeed kinda sad.

ReiGun

The thing about the Red Robin costume is that it's just a regular Robin costume with two R's in the emblem. As much as I dislike the N52 look with the wings, it at least felt like it's own separate thing from the Robin identity.

You're probably right, but I'm hoping they'll add on what happened in the Rebirth title in the single oneshots. That said yeah, it doesn't have the impact of other multiple issues spanning mega events and crisises, which is indeed kinda sad.

It is a little sad, isn't it? I mean, yeah, sure, the big events are almost always disasters, but at the same time... there's something about the ridiculous grandeur, the pomp and circumstance. Sure, in the end, it generally amounts to absolutely nothing and everyone goes home grumbling about having their time wasted, but it's a fun ride while it lasts.

I guess we did just get Darkseid War, which was basically a Crisis-tier throwdown that Johns managed to somehow contain to just JL and a handful of oneshots.

Ross61

Oh, yeah, they're clearly setting up for stuff down the line, but as for what's happening in the immediate future, Rebirth wise, it... seems to be pretty minimal plotwise.

Nothing Rocafort draws can be "the worst."

Accept my Rumblr request m8

I'm kinda unclear on what your talking about. If the solicits and previews seem to be any indication, then the respective titles seem to be tackling stuff from the one shot.

I'm kinda unclear on what your talking about. If the solicits and previews seem to be any indication, then the respective titles seem to be tackling stuff from the one shot.

Yeah, in the sense that they're advancing individual character stories. Like, Dinah and Ollie. But in terms of a big overarching event plot, not so much.

It's... not backwards exactly? Because lord knows I don't mind it? But it's more like stuff from the oneshots (and series) was incorporated into Rebirth rather than the other way 'round. Which is probably the better way of doing things, tbh.

Ross61

Just browsing through the solicits. It seems Finch is doing the whole first Batman. Ferreyra and Schmidt are splitting the first Green Arrow arc half and half. Rocha and Syaf seem to be doing the same Green Lanterns. At least its not an irregular art schedule. In the long run I don't see it being that big of a deal. As long as they artist have styles that complement one another, then I don't see trade readers complaining that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom