• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashby

Man, I was going to skip Green Arrow because I had never heard of Ben Percy but I'll gladly put down the 2.99 for it after work considering the response.

jph139

Yeah, I was expecting more "Batman lite" from Green Arrow, but it sounds like they're pointing him back toward the old bleeding heart that I love. Guess I'll be adding that to my pickup list today...

TheFlow

Banned
Green Arrow is so fun. don't let the political/social warrior stuff trick you into not getting this book.

this is Percy's court of owls

Green Arrow is so fun. don't let the political/social warrior stuff trick you into not getting this book.

Yep. It was really fun. The SJW stuff was quite cool though, and as for t he Court of Owls well...
they were at the auction

Ashby

In his best incarnation(s) that's exactly what he was and its what people liked most about the character. Really weird if the current political climate leads to some fans disliking him for that.

I actually thought the same thing. I thought it was really good as well.

Batman Rebirth was really good. It had more of a fun vibe to it. Great writing. Fantastic art. This guy should draw everything.

Superman Rebirth was ok. It read more like a backstory you would find after reading the main story of an oversized issue of a comic. Not bad, though.

In his best incarnation(s) that's exactly what he was and its what people liked most about the character. Really weird if the current political climate leads to some fans disliking him for that.

I hate political blowhards, I hate preachy heroes, but that is WHO Green Arrow is. He's been that since Denny O'Neil and it's part of his character. If Batman called himself an SJW, I'd be pissed. Ollie? Of course he is.

tim1138

I hate political blowhards, I hate preachy heroes, but that is WHO Green Arrow is. He's been that since Denny O'Neil and it's part of his character. If Batman called himself an SJW, I'd be pissed. Ollie? Of course he is.

It's amazing how much damage the N52 did to Ollie's character and how much Percy fixed in this one issue.

So much praise (and well deserved) for Green Arrow. I was not picking it and decide to go for it just because I want to read all one shoots. Glad I did it, it is the best one today. Got a lot of Longbow Hunters vibes at yhe beginning, which is great. Also, Seattle! I hate DC fictional cities, Star City can go to hell. I hated when DC came back using it after post Crysis Seatle. Was it the setting in n52 as well? I did not read it.

Edited: Although I would prefer a non-CEO Ollie. That is Bruce territory, I would like him more in a street level job. Also, still too young. And yes, that ladt page was bad....

tim1138

What was the N52 version like prior to this issue?

Bland superhero without any of the social justice/man of the people aspects you associate with the character. At one point he was even written as a JL fanboy who tried everything in his power to join.
Even the lauded Lemire run strayed away from social issues, it was about family ties and magical weapons.

Bland superhero without any of the social justice/man of the people aspects you associate with the character. At one point he was even written as a JL fanboy who tried everything in his power to join.
Even the lauded Lemire run strayed away from social issues, it was about family ties and magical weapons.

Glad I skept all those non-sense.

Bit-Bit

Superman was pretty good. Felt like a long farewell to N52 Supes.

Looking forward to the older and more stoic Superman.

tim1138

Lemire run is genuinelly great though. Not Grell's level of greatness (but then again..nothing is), but really good overall.

Lemiere's run on GA was great. A lot of fun to read and fanstatic art.

In hindsight, I think it was really propped up by Sorrentino's amazing art and page layouts, the story wasn't that strong. Regardless, the point I was trying to make is that it was hardly classic Green Arrow.

I'm not very familiar with N52 Superman, but was his personality a lot different from pre-N52 Supes?

He's a little more stoic, generally. Older, family man.

---

Agreeing with everyone that Batman Rebirth was a bit of a letdown. It's a fine story, but nothing exceptional.

Meanwhile, Superman Rebirth was actually pretty good.

Starting on Green Lanterns and Green Arrow now. Glad to hear those actually turned out great.

It's not that the sjw stuff is what people were turning away from Percys previous GA stuff for, it was the absurd overy the top'ness of it and that it was so brooding and dull. If this new run gets turned into a more fun and interesting tone I'm all for Percy. The previous stuff just really wasn't good tone wise.

My order this week:
- Green Arrow - really good, something is still missing, but I will probably follow it.
- Superman - good farewell, now lets move on. Not reading it from now.
- Green Lanterns - good setup issue, but Hal's cosmic stuff seems more compailing than Red Lanterns again. Drop.
- Batman - Desapoiting issue save for the art. I was looking for it, lets see King's take from #1 on.

All one shoots looks yo much as an epilogue/prologue of what to comes, so a little empty, save for GA which seems to start the arc properly.

Vyer

cross posting from comicgaf:

It's a good sign that we had four Rebirth books out today and all of them were at the very least a good read. some quick takes:

Green Lanterns was probably the most 'by the numbers' of the books, though that's in part because it feels like it's taking the most literal Rebirth interpretation. I'd largely skipped over the N52 GL stories and this book almost feels like I didn't miss much of anything and it kind of picks up where we left off 5 years ago. I like the Simon and Jessica dynamic though, and both get a little more (much needed) character building.

Batman is similar, but I give it a few more bonus points because there are hints of King's fingerprints on the story.
The retooled Calendar Man definitely is an interesting take on the character, with a touch of creepiness that I'm hoping King will dabble in with his run. Plus I like what he's already starting to do with the regular players here and the touches he brings to the table; Duke's dynamic with Batman, Bruce's back and forth with Lucius, stuff like Bruce's "yeah I'm crazy" line makes him feel oddly more grounded, etc. Plus I'm sorry but tesla bat ears is just fucking aces.

Superman is kind of the outlier from this first batch. Honestly it's kind of the most interesting for me, though primarily for story reasons. Superman's Rebirth approach is a little different than the others in this group;
actually getting rid of the New 52 version in this way is interesting, and leaving behind people who remember him as Superman makes it more so. It's a very different angle that I'm guessing (maybe?) will play out over the course of Rebirth's overarching story, but Tomasi's already touching on some of the aspects of it here with Lana. Have to say too that his 'classic' Superman really feels the part the way he was written; the Doomsday retell helps, sure, but even then Tomasi has given him a kind of aura and presence in his writing that brings out the sense that yeah, this is him. This is Superman.

bonus points for the 'nobody stays dead in comics' meta commentary.

Green Arrow is probably the stand out, though in fairness that's probably because I'm not as familiar with Percy and so that he was able to stick the landing so well really catches my eye. Schmidt's art was also great and the combo was just a perfect tone for the book. GA seems like the perfect example of how well Rebirth can work,
as it did a lot of the things you'd expect this type of relaunch to do all at once. A fresh spin on the character with some modern vibes, sure, but also a return to what was one of the 'core' traits of the character for so long by bringing Ollie back to his more outspoken politics roots. Toss in some great 'new' versions of big character moments and nods like Ollie+Dinah and it's just a great mix. I'm planning on sticking with GA which honestly I was not expecting.

also, I advise investing heavily in Lexcoin.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just finished Superman Rebirth - Meh. Not even sure if I'll bother with any of the Superman books tbh, the story was muddled to fuck in N52.

Comics GAF review crosspost.

Batman - ★★ - Don't quit your day job at the Agency yet, Mr. King. This book was the antithesis of his run on Vision. Boring. Safe. Dull. Maybe he felt hamstrung by Snyder? 21 page of nothing. The story structure and pacing are terrible. Creative writing 101 stuff. Art was stellar.

Green Arrow - ★★★★★ - The crown jewel in the bunch. Fantastic art, great writing of the characters, and sets up the series in such a wonderful place. There's really nothing negative to say. A perfect jumping on point. I'm 100% on the social justice warrior bandwagon.

Green Lantern - ★★★ - I bit on the $3 price tag, and it's not all that bad. I like the basic premise, but admittedly know very little of the Lantern universe. The art was laughable on a few panels (the Lantern "smiles" on the Justice League centerfold...ouch), but decent enough elsewhere. Uneven, is how I'd characterize it. I'm guessing it's a bad sign that I literally laughed out loud at the big bad guy reveal. So dumb looking.

Superman - ★★ - I'm not a fan of Superman comics and probably never will be, so take this with a big grain of salt. As a jumping on point, this is terrible. Rebirth is not a "reboot" blah, blah, blah. But these stories are being marketed towards relapsed DC fans and new readers. There's very little catering to that demographic here. I wouldn't recommend this book unless you know WTF has been going down with Supes and the Justice League.

Mudcrab

Exited to read these later tonight, I can't believe yall got me hyped to read Green Arrow, but for $2.99 how can I not buy in?

I've only read Superman. I thought it was a nice sendoff to the Nu52 Supes. Doesn't really set up the new direction until the very end, but as someone here said, you can just feel the difference in the way the OG Superman is written.

$6 a month to follow these books. DC knows exactly what it's doing with these price points + bimonthly shipping.

And for someone like me, I would wait for trades because I couldn't stand waiting a month for just another 22 pages. This entices me to buy single issues now.

tim1138

Comics GAF review crosspost.

Batman - ★★ - Don't quit your day job at the Agency yet, Mr. King. This book was the antithesis of his run on Vision. Boring. Safe. Dull. Maybe he felt hamstrung by Snyder? 21 page of nothing. The story structure and pacing are terrible. Creative writing 101 stuff. Art was stellar.

Green Arrow - ★★★★★ - The crown jewel in the bunch. Fantastic art, great writing of the characters, and sets up the series in such a wonderful place. There's really nothing negative to say. A perfect jumping on point. I'm 100% on the social justice warrior bandwagon.

Green Lantern - ★★★ - I bit on the $3 price tag, and it's not all that bad. I like the basic premise, but admittedly know very little of the Lantern universe. The art was laughable on a few panels (the Lantern "smiles" on the Justice League centerfold...ouch), but decent enough elsewhere. Uneven, is how I'd characterize it. I'm guessing it's a bad sign that I literally laughed out loud at the big bad guy reveal. So dumb looking.

Superman - ★★ - I'm not a fan of Superman comics and probably never will be, so take this with a big grain of salt. As a jumping on point, this is terrible. Rebirth is not a "reboot" blah, blah, blah. But these stories are being marketed towards relapsed DC fans and new readers. There's very little catering to that demographic here. I wouldn't recommend this book unless you know WTF has been going down with Supes and the Justice League.

Something to keep in mind about the art in Green Lanterns - neither Ethan van Sciver nor Ed Benes will be pulling regular art duties on the book. The regular artists are Robson Rocha (who I'm not familiar with) and Adrian Syaf (who is decent). EvS well be taking his "talents" to the Hal Jordan book when it launches next month. Based on what you said above, all of your art complaints are from the EvS pages, so it might be worth another shot with the actual creative team.

Ashby

And for someone like me, I would wait for trades because I couldn't stand waiting a month for just another 22 pages. This entices me to buy single issues now.

This, plus it helps combat getting trapped in that awful loop of constantly forgetting what happened in the previous issue a whole month ago.

Superman is kind of the outlier from this first batch. Honestly it's kind of the most interesting for me, though primarily for story reasons. Superman's Rebirth approach is a little different than the others in this group;
actually getting rid of the New 52 version in this way is interesting, and leaving behind people who remember him as Superman makes it more so. It's a very different angle that I'm guessing (maybe?) will play out over the course of Rebirth's overarching story, but Tomasi's already touching on some of the aspects of it here with Lana. Have to say too that his 'classic' Superman really feels the part the way he was written; the Doomsday retell helps, sure, but even then Tomasi has given him a kind of aura and presence in his writing that brings out the sense that yeah, this is him. This is Superman.

bonus points for the 'nobody stays dead in comics' meta commentary.

Superman must be different because the n52 character and path are very different and difficult to retie to DC legacy. He is younger, dating Diana. Lois is a different person to him. How can anyone reestablish their relantionship without much anger from WW couple fans? Rebirth is all about legacy and love, something that can be donr better with old supe.

Plus, if it does not work out, nobody stays dead in comics. They can always revert, that is the joke.

Lashley

Not that interested in the premise from Green Lantern Rebirth, but will continue reading for
Atrocitus and Dex Starr

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I still have no idea (Superman)
who the new Superman actually is, and why he is where he is, and how he got there and whatever the fuck. Maybe I'm just missing an integral part here lol.

Lashley

who the new Superman actually is, and why he is where he is, and how he got there and whatever the fuck. Maybe I'm just missing an integral part here lol.

He's pre-n52 supes iirc

Got there via the convergence event

Reading GA, I swear I know this artist from somewhere. Can't put my finger on it.

Otto Schmidt drew the Korvac Saga mini during Secret Wars. Don't think he's done much else in the US.

Got to read Superman: Rebirth over lunch and I can see how it wouldn't be that great for someone who kept up with the Last Days storyline but I dropped all Super-books before then so it was good to get an overview of the current status. The 'normal' #1 will really let us know how the book is going to go. Loved Mahnke's art. His Superman has real bulk but isn't absurd looking.

Vyer

I've only read Superman. I thought it was a nice sendoff to the Nu52 Supes. Doesn't really set up the new direction until the very end, but as someone here said, you can just feel the difference in the way the OG Superman is written.

Yeah, Tomasi had a good feel for it. Hell, OG Superman talking about
N52 Supes made me feel sadder for what happened to him than I did when the event occurred.

When flashpoint/New52 happened a few years back, it changed the timeline and resulted in new versions of everyone.
I haven't read Convergence, but from what I've read online, he escaped being erased with the rest of his timeline and has lived under an alias in the post-flashpoint world. That is, until he was brought out of hiding by recent events.

The new52 Superman recently died so now the Superman from the previous timeline is taking his place.

Earth-One > New Earth > Prime Earth

-Pre-crisis Superman (1956-1986) (Earth-One) was the "original" of this universe. Crisis on Infinite Earths resulted in the rebooted post-crisis version.
-Post-crisis Superman (1986-2011) (New Earth) was the result of that event consolidating many alternate universe Supermen into just one. His timeline was later erased by Flashpoint.
-New52 Superman (2011-2016) (Prime Earth) was the result of the flashpoint event changing the timeline, creating a new Superman.

The Golden Age superheroes of the 30s-50s were retroactively made inhabitants of Earth-Two, a separate alternate universe.

Yes.

Edit: Covered here and here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom