• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drayco21

Green Arrow Rebirth was really promising- better than the book has been since Lemire left, easily.

Someone should send this issue to the Arrow writer room, so they learn what a Green Arrow story should read like.

So with Superman

He is now the superman who will become superman prime in DC1M right? Which I guess makes his son the future "Superman Secundus" lol

Sou Da

Just finished GA, it's pretty great also

c0A2p0s.jpg

Local Black teen incurs wrath of Superman

DC needs to give the glowing eyes a rest.

And for someone like me, I would wait for trades because I couldn't stand waiting a month for just another 22 pages. This entices me to buy single issues now.

Yep. There's no sticker shock, and theoretically a steady drip of story and profit. I really don't think most of these books will sustain bimonthly sales, but I guess we'll see.

Something to keep in mind about the art in Green Lanterns - neither Ethan van Sciver nor Ed Benes will be pulling regular art duties on the book. The regular artists are Robson Rocha (who I'm not familiar with) and Adrian Syaf (who is decent). EvS well be taking his "talents" to the Hal Jordan book when it launches next month. Based on what you said above, all of your art complaints are from the EvS pages, so it might be worth another shot with the actual creative team.

That's good to know. The Green Lantern appeal for me is always the art and massive scale space warfare. This issue had neither, but I'll keep an eye on the series.

DC1M Supes is hinted to be All-Star Superman, so not really.

Huh? In DC1M I'm fairly sure the supes who gets sent to the future (the post crisis one) is supposed to be the past version of the supes in the sun. I know Morrison penned both stories and intended them to be practically the same, but in canon terms it should be post-crisis who leaves earth and comes back much later and gives his descendants new powers and goes to live in the sun, with the allstar universe being its own thing entirely.

TheFlow

Banned
Superman Rebirth #1

Before I begin let me say I have never read a superman comic in my life.

that being said this comic delivered the feels and Pre new 52 did a great job of honoring this worlds superman. I think this will be the first sup book I pull.

4/5 because the art wasn't as good as the writing

Tabby

So which comic does Nu52 Superman die in? Is it just #51 and #52? Do I need to read any thing else to know what's going on?

Syder

If I want to get into DC Rebirth, what should I read from the relevant stories preceding it? Should I read all of the New 52?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
If I want to get into DC Rebirth, what should I read from the relevant stories preceding it? Should I read all of the New 52?

Fuck no, read the Darkseid War arc of Justice League

Then the DC Rebirth book itself, then today's oneshots

TheFlow

Banned
are you crazy? by time you finish with that we will be on a new relaunch.

Just start with the Rebirth #1 for w.e title you are interested in.

Fuck no, read the Darkseid War arc of Justice League

Then the DC Rebirth book itself, then today's oneshots
actually this is the best idea.

You don't have to, but I don't get the attitude of dismissing the new 52 completely. Lots of great runs in it :/.

At the very least, read Snyder's Batman if you only get one thing out of new 52. The Rebirth suggests reading Darkseid War and Superman's Super League arc, but I've read neither of those and they had little to do with the story.

I'd say the most relevant story to rebirth was actually Flashpoint.

TheFlow

Banned
You don't have to, but I don't get the attitude of dismissing the new 52 completely. Lots of great runs in it :/.

At the very least, read Snyder's Batman. The Rebirth suggests reading Darkseid War and Superman's Super League arc, but I've read neither of those and they had little to do with the story.

New 52 has a shit ton of great runs but I rather the man be apart of the rebirth discussion than go back read a lot of issue that are not really relevant to the plot.

I encourage he reads them between releases.

Sndyer's batman is a must read for anybody

NeonZ

3. Superman: Not a lot happened, but it did have some cool stuff. I really wish he would have worn the suit by the end. I also wanted to see more of his family. I could have sworn that Supes had already died to Doomsday in the Nu52 though, though I guess that reference was made early on.

That was actually referenced as recently as Johns' brief run. It's odd that they completely forgot about that here.

Afrodium

Banned
I read Batman, Green Arrow, and Superman and was kind of underwhelmed across the board. Maybe I had too high of expectations going into GA based off of the reactions, but it felt like a regular single issue superhero story to me. The art and paneling was great but I thought the dialogue left a lot to be desired.I don't really have any nostalgia for Green Arrow/Black canary as I'm relatively new to comics so I think that's a large part of it.

Superman was focused a lot of establishing pre-New 52 Superman as the new main Superman and wrapping up New 52 Superman's tale, and given that I didn't follow New 52 Superman at all it wasn't all that interesting to me. It's cool that classic Superman is back though.

Batman was really enjoyable until it abruptly ended.

I'm going to pick up the #1s for all of these books as they showed a lot of potential, but I felt Superman and GA were more about nostalgia for post-Crisis heroes than being good single issues (I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me about GA).

I just noticed I'm missing a few issues from Snyder's Batman run, namely the Annuals, the Future's End one-shot and #28. Are these issues necessary reading?

Afrodium

Banned
I just noticed I'm missing a few issues from Snyder's Batman run, namely the Annuals, the Future's End one-shot and #28. Are these issues necessary reading?

Nope. Snyder's whole run besides the last few issues is 99 cents an issue on CMX right now though if you really want to get them.

Ophelion

Huh? In DC1M I'm fairly sure the supes who gets sent to the future (the post crisis one) is supposed to be the past version of the supes in the sun. I know Morrison penned both stories and intended them to be practically the same, but in canon terms it should be post-crisis who leaves earth and comes back much later and gives his descendants new powers and goes to live in the sun, with the allstar universe being its own thing entirely.

Grant has stated in interviews that in his own head canon, his New 52 Action run, All-Star and DC one-million form the beginning, middle and end of a superman arc (which he apparently wrote backward.) Continuity be damned.

DC 1 Million was pretty awesome imo

I think my main complaint is that it was collected poorly. As far as I can tell, the omnibus was released in 2013, while the Justice League TPB was released in 2004. I wasn't reading single issues back then, so I came upon the JL collection in the 2000s and had trouble telling how it fit into Morrison's JLA run.

If I'm counting the number of issues listed on Wikipedia correctly, there are 40 issues that are part of 1M, only 37* of which seem to be available on Comixology.

*Comixology lists 39, but that includes the later Superman/Batman tie-in.

TheFlow

Banned
Rebirth books for next week

Action Comics #957 Twice Monthly (w) Dan Jurgens (a) Patrick Zircher, Tyler Kirkham, Stephen Segovia. With this issue, Action Comics returns to its original numbering, which ended at #904, mean that the Nu 52 books have been assimilated into the issue count.

Aquaman Rebirth #1 One-shot (w) Dan Abnett (a) Brad Walker, Jesus Merino, Phil Briones

Detectvie Comics #934 Twice Monthly (w) James Tynion IV (a) Eddy Barrows, Alvaro Martinez. Same deal as Action Comics, moving back to the old numbering, incorporating the NU 52 issues.

Flash Rebirth #1 One-shot (w) Josh Williamson (a) Carmine Di Giandomenico, Neil Googe

Wonder Woman Rebirth #1 One-shot (w) Greg Rucka (a) Phil Winslade

Action Comics #957 Twice Monthly (w) Dan Jurgens (a) Patrick Zircher, Tyler Kirkham, Stephen Segovia. With this issue, Action Comics returns to its original numbering, which ended at #904, mean that the Nu 52 books have been assimilated into the issue count.

Aquaman Rebirth #1 One-shot (w) Dan Abnett (a) Brad Walker, Jesus Merino, Phil Briones

Detective Comics #934 Twice Monthly (w) James Tynion IV (a) Eddy Barrows, Alvaro Martinez. Same deal as Action Comics, moving back to the old numbering, incorporating the NU 52 issues.

Flash Rebirth #1 One-shot (w) Josh Williamson (a) Carmine Di Giandomenico, Neil Googe

I'm looking forward to everything bar Action Comics. I'm going to wait until after the reviews hit as I'm not sold on Action Comic's creative team just yet. Especially looking forward to Detective Comics and Wonder Woman. It's great to see Batwoman brought into the Bat-family proper and co-leading alongside Batman no less.

Re-posting for those who missed it.

Pre-Release Wonder Woman: Rebirth #1 Review:
http://boundingintocomics.com/2016/06/01/comic-book-review-wonder-woman-rebirth-1/
Greg Rucka’s writing breathes life into Diana in a way that is very noticeable. Her range is both real, interesting, and complex.

I'm looking forward to everything bar Action Comics. I'm going to wait until after the reviews hit as I'm not sold on Action Comic's creative team just yet. Especially looking forward to Detective Comics and Wonder Woman. It's great to see Batwoman brought into the Bat-family proper and co-leading alongside Batman no less.

Re-posting for those who missed it.

Pre-Release Wonder Woman: Rebirth #1 Review:
http://boundingintocomics.com/2016/06/01/comic-book-review-wonder-woman-rebirth-1/

As brief as this week's comics were I'm probably gonna do the same as you and get most of the next ones. I'm not interested in Action either since I thought the first three issues of Lois & Clark were really boring. Tomasi's Superman feels like filler right now but it is still better written to me.

I think my main complaint is that it was collected poorly. As far as I can tell, the omnibus was released in 2013, while the Justice League TPB was released in 2004. I wasn't reading single issues back then, so I came upon the JL collection in the 2000s and had trouble telling how it fit into Morrison's JLA run.

If I'm counting the number of issues listed on Wikipedia correctly, there are 40 issues that are part of 1M, only 37* of which seem to be available on Comixology.

*Comixology lists 39, but that includes the later Superman/Batman tie-in.

Young Heroes in Love may be missing due to its unusual rights situation (the authors negotiated an unusually favourable deal but the characters also pretty much disappeared afterwards as a result).

Not sure why 2 more would be missing, are they series that DC just hasn't put up yet ? I remember that several books were ending around that time, so they may be missing for that reason: ie they never sold well so they aren't a high priority to put up.

ETA - Ouch folding the Nu52 numbers in is going to make Action and Tec a huge pain in the arse to archive / shelve. Assuming they do Vol 1/2/3 Vol-Num at least gets you the right order but leaves Volume 3 seemingly missing ~900 issues.

Young Heroes in Love may be missing due to its unusual rights situation (the authors negotiated an unusually favourable deal but the characters also pretty much disappeared afterwards as a result).

Not sure why 2 more would be missing, are they series that DC just hasn't put up yet ? I remember that several books were ending around that time, so they may be missing for that reason: ie they never sold well so they aren't a high priority to put up.

A cursory examination leads me to believe that Booster Gold #1,000,000 is one of the "missing" two. It's available on Comixology, but not listed with the rest of the story arc. Probably just an oversight.

As brief as this week's comics were I'm probably gonna do the same as you and get most of the next ones. I'm not interested in Action either since I thought the first three issues of Lois & Clark were really boring. Tomasi's Superman feels like filler right now but it is still better written to me.

I haven't read Lois and Clark, but I'm keen to check it out at some stage. Dan Jurgens, however, is a little too uneven for me to buy into Action Comics blind. Especially when I've already committed to so many new books. I enjoyed his run on Booster Gold and the short-lived Aquaman and the Others, so hopefully his Action Comics is of the same caliber. Tomasi's Superman was a great bridge between the old and new, even if it felt inessential.

shingi70

Banned

Detectvie Comics #934 Twice Monthly (w) James Tynion IV (a) Eddy Barrows, Alvaro Martinez. Same deal as Action Comics, moving back to the old numbering, incorporating the NU 52 issues.

I'm getting everything expect Detective Comics.

Wtf, I just read Green Arrow Rebirth and it was great (and tha. Can't believe I'm gonna subscribe to a damn Green Arrow comic.

Best of the Rebirth books by far. Who would have thought that Ben Percy's Green Arrow would come out on top of King's Batman or Tomasi's Superman. Strong characterisation, an interesting direction and energetic art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom