• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually surprised that they're taking this weird route. With the revelation that the New 52 is just the Post-Crisis universe modified by Manhattan.

It can't be like that. There are too many characters with different origins in N52 (like I said Wonder Woman, Justice League, among others). It also amalgams the old WildStorm Universe on it.

There would not be two supes around if it is the same post Crysis Universe too.

It must be a reboot. What they are saying is that Manhattan messed with the reboot.

eh superman rebirth was fine. not particularly great but i am really excited about superman #1. going with the storyline of raising their superpowered kid.

and also good boy superman will be back which is great.

You don't really need to have any kind of deep understanding to understand where Superman is going at this point; they lay it out all pretty clearly in the book. Ditto Green Lanterns and Green Arrow. GA is the clearest jumping on point, but they all do a pretty solid job of establishing the "what you need to know, where you're going" formula. Old Supes is from somewhere else, young Supes died saving people, old Supes is taking up the mantle. Boom.

Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz are newbie Lanterns, Hal had to fuck off into space, now they have to work together to defend Earth. Boom.

Ollie is a rich white male billionaire fighting for Social Justice, Dinah and he have some chemistry, let's hunt human traffickers! Boom.

The only one that doesn't really seem to segue into its future or establish its history is Batman, which other than the stuff with Duke seems basically self-contained.

And yeah, this isn't STRICTLY SPEAKING the post-Crisis verse - the 10 years Manhattan grabbed.

Here's what happened:

Barry, being the dumbass he is, saved his mom. Thus, Flashpoint. At the end of Flashpoint, he goes back again to stop himself from saving his mom. In theory, this would basically undo everything like it normally does in these stories. However, when he was going back, Manhattan decided to grab the 10 years because... we don't know yet. Pandora reacted to this by merging in the Wildstorm and Vertigo 'verses. So it's not the same universe, because it features the stuff she did in addition to the missing 10 years.

You don't really need to have any kind of deep understanding to understand where Superman is going at this point; they lay it out all pretty clearly in the book. Ditto Green Lanterns and Green Arrow. GA is the clearest jumping on point, but they all do a pretty solid job of establishing the "what you need to know, where you're going" formula. Old Supes is from somewhere else, young Supes died saving people, old Supes is taking up the mantle. Boom.

Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz are newbie Lanterns, Hal had to fuck off into space, now they have to work together to defend Earth. Boom.

Ollie is a rich white male billionaire fighting for Social Justice, Dinah and he have some chemistry, let's hunt human traffickers! Boom.

The only one that doesn't really seem to segue into its future or establish its history is Batman, which other than the stuff with Duke seems basically self-contained.

And yeah, this isn't STRICTLY SPEAKING the post-Crisis verse - the 10 years Manhattan grabbed.

Here's what happened:

Barry, being the dumbass he is, saved his mom. Thus, Flashpoint. At the end of Flashpoint, he goes back again to stop himself from saving his mom. In theory, this would basically undo everything like it normally does in these stories. However, when he was going back, Manhattan decided to grab the 10 years because... we don't know yet. Pandora reacted to this by merging in the Wildstorm and Vertigo 'verses. So it's not the same universe, because it features the stuff she did in addition to the missing 10 years.

Yeah, there was some serious timeline compression going on too, if 10 years were removed. Tim had been Robin for like ~5+/-2 years pre-Flashpoint and but he had still trained with Batman but never been Robin and was Red Robin instead post Flashpoint, even though Bruce shouldn't have met Tim for like at least another year. Likewise it should be too early in the timeline for Jason to even be dead yet (or likely even started being Robin given how short his run was in DCU time). Which also suggests that Barbara shouldn't have yet been shot (since that should fit somewhere around the time Jason died).

That also means that Dick should be not talking to Batman and leading the Titans (probably around the start of their "classic" era) which should also mean Wally had never been the Flash (which agrees with Nu52). It's pretty obvious why they wiped this out on second thought (the Titans actually anchor a chunk of character timelines in ways that show how inconsistent things are between the more "Time Compression" approach taken with Gotham and the Lanterns and the more reset approach in Flash and Superman.

Interestingly chunks of this suggests that things should have been rewound to pre-Crisis (but DCs usually treated the post-Crisis timeline like it plastered over the pre-Crisis one with only some passing references to Time travel to the year the Crisis occured being difficult / rough to travel around) .

I use the Bats because I'm most familiar with them and it's also handy that there's so god damn many of them that you get a sort of solid timeline from their appearances and identity changes and their tendencies to colonize team books puts a rough timeline on other characters.

Here's what happened:

Yeah I think people are overthinking it. Post52 is still treated as new universe, it just has its origins in the post-crisis universe. The same way post-crisis originated from pre-crisis. There is definitely lineage there but it doesnt mean theyre the same.

Prime Earth's origins becoming more complicated than we previously knew doesn't change that. It just makes it... more complicated. That's all. The line between universes was always pretty arbitrary, anyway. It's decided by the publisher. If you wanted to be pedantic you could argue that every instance of time travel created an entirely new universe.

Getting down to the existential nitty-gritty questions it's hard to define whether a character is simply a changed man or a new man altogether. In a sense you could say that n52 Batman is still the same man as Silver Age Batman, just altered by multiple reality shifts. Silver Age Bats is still a piece of that pie. But instead of having three entirely different life stories on the same wikia page, for simplicity's sake you're just going to treat them as three different universes. And that's what people should keep doing now.

Yeah, there was some serious timeline compression going on too, if 10 years were removed. Tim had been Robin for like ~5+/-2 years pre-Flashpoint and but he had still trained with Batman but never been Robin and was Red Robin instead post Flashpoint, even though Bruce shouldn't have met Tim for like at least another year. Likewise it should be too early in the timeline for Jason to even be dead yet (or likely even started being Robin given how short his run was in DCU time). Which also suggests that Barbara shouldn't have yet been shot (since that should fit somewhere around the time Jason died).

That also means that Dick should be not talking to Batman and leading the Titans (probably around the start of their "classic" era) which should also mean Wally had never been the Flash (which agrees with Nu52). It's pretty obvious why they wiped this out on second thought (the Titans actually anchor a chunk of character timelines in ways that show how inconsistent things are between the more "Time Compression" approach taken with Gotham and the Lanterns and the more reset approach in Flash and Superman.

Interestingly chunks of this suggests that things should have been rewound to pre-Crisis (but DCs usually treated the post-Crisis timeline like it plastered over the pre-Crisis one with only some passing references to Time travel to the year the Crisis occured being difficult / rough to travel around) .

I use the Bats because I'm most familiar with them and it's also handy that there's so god damn many of them that you get a sort of solid timeline from their appearances and identity changes and their tendencies to colonize team books puts a rough timeline on other characters.

The timeline compression was always hideously awkward because some characters got it (Batman, most Batman affiliates, the various GLs) and others didn't. Out of universe, this is because Batman and GL were in the middle of wildly popular and acclaimed runs at the time (Morrison and Johns) and DC wasn't going to fuck with that, but it can now be explained in-universe, which is actually kind of nice.

MartyStu

The Batman issue was not bad, it is just feels like the first 1/4 of a longer story.

I suppose that was the intention, to use it as a preamble would require more of a hook.

That said, I really like Duke, so I hope Snyder does something interesting with him.

The timeline compression was always hideously awkward because some characters got it (Batman, most Batman affiliates, the various GLs) and others didn't. Out of universe, this is because Batman and GL were in the middle of wildly popular and acclaimed runs at the time (Morrison and Johns) and DC wasn't going to fuck with that, but it can now be explained in-universe, which is actually kind of nice.

I mean it's still not quiet right. The pre-Flashpoint timeline was still about 5 more years ahead of Nu52 + 10 towards the end (depending on the character, Helena , Babs and Dick particularly where usually written late 20s , early 30s).

Though apparently it's now been 10 years since JL formed in Rebirth ? Which +10 would be approximately right. But the Gotham books don't agree with that , Snyder was still doing ~5 since Court of Owls in Batman #51 and Barbara and Dick are both significantly too young (Barbara especially stands out given the way she was being written just pre-Rebirth, she can't be passed the early 20s at most).

Of course 20 years post JL is still as awkward for Batman whose age tended to slide somewhere between 35 and 40 (depending on how much time he was spending around characters from Dick's cohort who required his age to be pushed up to even begin to make sense) pre-Flashpoint.

ETA - Hmm. It might actually make sense if you assume that they've just decompressed the Batman timeline, so that the Court of Owls is now 5 years ago but 5 years post JLA , which rolls the uncovered Batman timeline out to ~11 years. But I'm almost positive that JLA Rebirth is going to torpedo that given the age Dick appears to be on the cover.

I mean it's still not quiet right. The pre-Flashpoint timeline was still about 5 more years ahead of Nu52 + 10 towards the end (depending on the character, Helena , Babs and Dick particularly where usually written late 20s , early 30s).

Though apparently it's now been 10 years since JL formed in Rebirth ? Which +10 would be approximately right. But the Gotham books don't agree with that , Snyder was still doing ~5 since Court of Owls in Batman #51 and Barbara and Dick are both significantly too young (Barbara especially stands out given the way she was being written just pre-Rebirth, she can't be passed the early 20s at most).

Of course 20 years post JL is still as awkward for Batman whose age tended to slide somewhere between 35 and 40 (depending on how much time he was spending around characters from Dick's cohort who required his age to be pushed up to even begin to make sense) pre-Flashpoint.

Well, it's a comic book. Age and the progression of time was always gonna be a bit wonky. It's just that with the New 52, that became super apparent, because you had these characters with these long, storied careers who apparently started operating 5 years ago, set right next to others who were operating just as long but had comparatively little to show for it.

Though I will say that Court of Owls itself takes place about 5 years after JL #1, IIRC. So that bit does line up.

MartyStu

The Superman issue is pretty poor. The art and paneling is weird and disjointed.

Again, another story that deserves double or quadruple its length.

I do not like this pattern. It really feels like all the rebirth books so far should have been 60+ pages long.

Who is on art duties for the main issue? Please god let it not be Mahnke.

will the actual issues be longer than these rebirth ones?

or is this what the double shipping is for? superman and batman went by extremely quickly.

It's not "Boom" because we understand all this stuff. Old Superman? New Superman? Right there, tough to swallow. He died how? Where is old Superman from? You're thinking like us, not a new reader.

Again, we have people who don't get it right now. In this thread. As a "Welcome to the DC Universe, this is Superman," the comic was a poor choice. I say this as someone who likes Tomasi and enjoyed the story.

The Superman issue is pretty poor. The art and paneling is weird and disjointed.

I do not like this pattern. It really feels like all the rebirth books so far should have been 60+ pages long.

Gleason.

Well, it's a comic book. Age and the progression of time was always gonna be a bit wonky. It's just that with the New 52, that became super apparent, because you had these characters with these long, storied careers who apparently started operating 5 years ago, set right next to others who were operating just as long but had comparatively little to show for it.

Though I will say that Court of Owls itself takes place about 5 years after JL #1, IIRC. So that bit does line up.

Yeah, Gotham is super awkward given that Batman is basically immortal on a meta-textual level (even if he's been "dead" for a year twice in the last decade of real time , because apparently someone thought every 5 years is an appropriate time period for Batman to die) but he's got a supporting cast who do tend to age even if very slowly (Tim was about twice my age when he debuted and he's about half my age now) which gets very awkward.

Amusingly I just thought about that second bit myself and it does help, except for the thing with Dick first meeting the Justice League in that upcoming book (though it may just be that he's drawn much younger on the cover than he is in the book. It probably does work out if Dick is like ~15-16 at the time).

Mahnke and Gleason taking turns, Gleason on the first issue at least.

Pencils were okay, but the inker really dropped the ball here. Gleason is still gonna wildly outshine Mahnke, but this issue wasn't really representative.

Plus, I don't really feel like it had pacing issues? Of all of them, actually, it was easily the best paced. GA worked pretty well, GL was basically entirely setup, but still worked for what it was, and Batman... well, Batman was really abrupt. I'll give you that :p

It's not "Boom" because we understand all this stuff. Old Superman? New Superman? Right there, tough to swallow. He died how? Where is old Superman from? You're thinking like us, not a new reader.

Again, we have people who don't get it right now. In this thread. As a "Welcome to the DC Universe, this is Superman," the comic was a poor choice. I say this as someone who likes Tomasi and enjoyed the story.

I guess I'm just not quite reconciling the people who are curious enough about extraneous details to ask questions like "where exactly did this other Superman come from" and not curious enough to actually find that out :p

We are told how young Superman died, btw. That's laid out fairly well in the issue.

I will say, "old Superman and young Superman" being tough to follow does make sense to me as an objection; new comics readers aren't going to be able to roll with that kind of silliness right off the bat. But it's ultimately a "who pumps the Batmobile's tires" sort of issue. You've just got to swallow it if you're going to be able to enjoy the stories that are being told, and are going to be told in the future. Not much DC could do to fix that.

TheFlow

Banned
The Batman issue was not bad, it is just feels like the first 1/4 of a longer story.

I suppose that was the intention, to use it as a preamble would require more of a hook.

That said, I really like Duke, so I hope Snyder does something interesting with him.
Bad news for you is batman rebirth was just a one shot. The real one starts in 2 weeks. Snyder won't be on the #1 either from my understanding. Calendar man will probably be mentioned or shown in a couple of the bat books down the line though.

I agree the rebirth books should of been longer. Like 42 pages including ads instead of 32 pages.

Also why is everyone asking how did new 52 superman die? Out of all the questions I think that is the most explained one. This is coming from a guy who has never read a superman book in his life. Pre new 52 existing in this universe should of been explained in the superman rebirth. Maybe it will be explained to new readers on the #1 in 2 weeks.

MartyStu

Mahnke and Gleason taking turns, Gleason on the first issue at least.

Pencils were okay, but the inker really dropped the ball here. Gleason is still gonna wildly outshine Mahnke, but this issue wasn't really representative.

Plus, I don't really feel like it had pacing issues? Of all of them, actually, it was easily the best paced. GA worked pretty well, GL was basically entirely setup, but still worked for what it was, and Batman... well, Batman was really abrupt. I'll give you that :p

I guess I'm just not quite reconciling the people who are curious enough about extraneous details to ask questions like "where exactly did this other Superman come from" and not curious enough to actually find that out :p

We are told how young Superman died, btw. That's laid out fairly well in the issue.

I will say, "old Superman and young Superman" being tough to follow does make sense to me as an objection; new comics readers aren't going to be able to roll with that kind of silliness right off the bat. But it's ultimately a "who pumps the Batmobile's tires" sort of issue. You've just got to swallow it if you're going to be able to enjoy the stories that are being told, and are going to be told in the future. Not much DC could do to fix that.

Just finished GL. The pacing for that book is fine, but the art is all sorts of janky.

Not entirely a fan of the dialogue either. Or the narration.

Just finished GL. The pacing for that book is fine, but the art is all sorts of janky.

Not entirely a fan of the dialogue either. Or the narration.

I liked the dialogue and narration okay. Some decent banter. "Is it Guy Gardner? Please say it's Guy Gardner." The bit with the FBI agent worked for me as well.

Art was, indeed, janky, but fortunately EvS isn't one of the regular artists on the book, so that's not a concern for anybody not crazy enough to pick up Venditti's Hal and the GLC.

MartyStu

Bad news for you is batman rebirth was just a one shot. The real one starts in 2 weeks. Snyder won't be on the #1 either from my understanding. Calendar man will probably be mentioned or shown in a couple of the bat books down the line though.

I agree the rebirth books should of been longer. Like 42 pages including ads instead of 32 pages.

Also why is everyone asking how did new 52 superman die? Out of all the questions I think that is the most explained one. This is coming from a guy who has never read a superman book in his life. Pre new 52 existing in this universe should of been explained in the superman rebirth. Maybe it will be explained to new readers on the #1 in 2 weeks.

I expect Calendar man to feature prominently in All-Star at some point.

Weirdly enough, the book seemed 90% Snyder. So we are still sort of blind as to how King will write the main book.

TheFlow

Banned

Weirdly enough, the book seemed 90% Snyder. So we are still sort of blind as to how King will write the main book.
Well I am sure Snyder was doing a slow transition since he has been writing the bat book for 52 issues. King has to work with years of snyders work while making his batman run stand out among the greats

The end to The Omega Men got me UNBELIEVABLY hyped for King's Batman, y'all have no idea. It was just... endings are tricky, right? We all know that. Snyder, despite being rightly considered an extremely strong comics writer, frequently messed up the endings to his arcs.

King does not seem to have that problem. Perfect capper. Very nearly literally salivating at the prospect of what he's gonna do with Batman.

So how are they going to go about telling the main Rebirth plotline?

I just assumed a Rebirth #2 was on its way but when I looked up the details I cant find evidence of one, just special issues of a lot of difference series. How do I follow the main storyline in the future? I read Batman Rebirth 1 and Superman Rebirth 1 but neither of them really seem to go anywhere. I am lost.

I'm only a casual reader of DC (usually a Marvel reader) so I'm a stranger to their events.

That's very much the impression I got too. It felts like it was far more setting up for All Star than the much more immediately coming Batman / Detective books. Since Batman seems like its going to be a Batman Solo book and Detective has its own team where including Duke would be averaging 5 pages an issue per character.

I just assumed a Rebirth #2 was on its way but when I looked up the details I cant find evidence of one, just special issues of a lot of difference series. How do I follow the main storyline in the future? I read Batman Rebirth 1 and Superman Rebirth 1 but neither of them really seem to go anywhere. I am lost.

I'm only a casual reader of DC (usually a Marvel reader) so I'm a stranger to their events.

It really depends on the event. Some are roughly one and done with a short miniseries and a bunch of tie in issues. Or for really big events a 6-12 issue run for the event and several tie ins.

Some are much more spaced out like the Identity Crisis -> Infinite Crisis thing, where Identity Crisis did a lot of setup, that hung around and was referenced here and there for like 2 years before Infinite Crisis put everything together and "cleaned up". There were numerous tie ins (Red Sky and not) in the intervening period.

This looks like the 2nd type, where Rebirth does the setup and we don't really get an "outcome" for like another year or two.

TheFlow

Banned

They are all mostly one shots.
We won't get a continuation of rebirths main story till an event or it is mentioned in one of the books(we don't know which ones except for Titans)

Just pick up which books you are interested in and enjoy.

Okay, so, this is kind of a case of missed expectations; Rebirth, itself, was just a oneshot, or a series of largely unconnected oneshots if you want to include the series starters. It's not really an EVENT, as it's usually handled (which is largely the same across both companies). Clearly, they're setting up something, but when and where that'll pay off is far from clear at the moment.

They are all mostly one shots.
We won't get a continuation of rebirths main story till an event or it is mentioned in one of the books(we don't know which ones except for Titans)

Just pick up which books you are interested in and enjoy.
Okay, so, this is kind of a case of missed expectations; Rebirth, itself, was just a oneshot, or a series of largely unconnected oneshots if you want to include the series starters. It's not really an EVENT, as it's usually handled (which is largely the same across both companies). Clearly, they're setting up something, but when and where that'll pay off is far from clear at the moment.

Wait so they're going to drop a bomb like
Manhattan
on me and then just go on as normal with no resolution? Is that what you're saying? That one-shot was an amazing setup, and yet there is no currently announced plan for a followup?

Youve gotta be shitting me.

MartyStu

Manhattan
on me and then just go on as normal with no resolution? Is that what you're saying? That one-shot was an amazing setup, and yet there is no currently announced plan for a followup?

It is quite literally bait.

TheFlow

Banned
Manhattan

Yea I know. I can't defend DC on the rebirth choices. It really is just going to confuse fans

Manhattan

Okay, so, there is ONE thing. The solicits for Titans have them dealing with the "demon that stole 10 years from the DC universe." Which... seems to be Manhattan. But on the other hand, that's kind of a flatly ridiculous thing to tackle in a single book. But on another, third hand, JL just had Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor fight to the death, and that didn't spread far. So it's possible.

MartyStu

Finished GA.

I loved the artwork for the most part. Some awkwardness here and there. Mainly the page that Dinah reveals herself in.I also liked the onshotness of the story.What I did not like is how rushed they were to have these two meet and build a rapport. And establish the sort of people they are and their beliefs. The latter I think really suffered and made for some awkward dialogue. Would have preferred that to be in the main book.

All in all, I am not impressed with most of the Rebirth books. GA is definitely the best though. Batman a distant second.

That said, I am still hyped as fuck for the actual #1s. Tomasi, King and Rucka are going to KILL it.

TheFlow

Banned
Finished GA.

I loved the artwork for the most part. Some awkwardness here and there. Mainly the page that Dinah reveals herself in.I also liked the onshotness of the story.What I did not like is how rushed they were to have these two meet and build a rapport. And establish the sort of people they are and their beliefs. The latter I think really suffered and made for some awkward dialogue. Would have preferred that to be in the main book.

All in all, I am not impressed with most of the Rebirth books. GA is definitely the best though. Batman a distant second.

That said, I am still hyped as fuck for the actual #1s. Tomasi, King and Rucka are going to KILL it.
Rebirth and green arrow rebirth showed how black canary and green arrow felt lonely without each other almost as if they remembered having an other half. I liked that

Okay, so, there is ONE thing. The solicits for Titans have them dealing with the "demon that stole 10 years from the DC universe." Which... seems to be Manhattan. But on the other hand, that's kind of a flatly ridiculous thing to tackle in a single book. But on another, third hand, JL just had Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor fight to the death, and that didn't spread far. So it's possible.

Darkseid and the Anti-monitor have really dropped in threat factor. The Anti-Monitor used ot threaten the entire Multiverse and now he gets summarily executed by a surprise attack from a "New contendor has entered the arena". And Darkseid got owned by the Anti-monitor (which is at least plausible) after having threatened the entire Multiverse in Final Crisis and then wiped out Earth-2 in Nu52. That arc was not their finest hour.

Darkseid and the Anti-monitor have really dropped in threat factor. The Anti-Monitor used ot threaten the entire Multiverse and now he gets summarily executed by a surprise attack from a "New contendor has entered the arena". And Darkseid got owned by the Anti-monitor (which is at least plausible) after having threatened the entire Multiverse in Final Crisis and then wiped out Earth-2 in Nu52. That arc was not their finest hour.

Still, both of 'em were massive threats. That kind of throwdown would typically call for a line-wide carnival, a Crisis. Not to mention it's been a while since we had something like that on the DC side of things. But... one series. A few one-shots. It's weirdly compressed, in that sense, though that's far from a bad thing.

I've started reading Doctor Fate after some of the recommendations here...it's super slow in the early going, but I really like the character. Kent is cool because of the golden age connection, but Khalid is probably the most likeable/relatable Fate. And the fact that one of the many DC heroes riding on Egyptian connections (Hawkman, Blue Beetle, Silver Scarab, Black Adam, etc. etc. etc. ) is actually explicitly, recognisably Egyptian is pretty refreshing. (Though granted, they make a point of underlining again and again that he's American).

MartyStu

Rebirth and green arrow rebirth showed how black canary and green arrow felt lonely without each other almost as if they remembered having an other half. I liked that

I LOVED that.

Which is why I feel like this book was too abrupt with that. I would have loved to see that strange longing examined in some capacity.

This book barely touches on it.

I've started reading Doctor Fate after some of the recommendations here...it's super slow in the early going, but I really like the character. Kent is cool because of the golden age connection, but Khalid is probably the most likeable/relatable Fate. And the fact that one of the many DC heroes riding on Egyptian connections (Hawkman, Blue Beetle, Silver Scarab, Black Adam, etc. etc. etc. ) is actually explicitly, recognisably Egyptian is pretty refreshing. (Though granted, they make a point of underlining again and again that he's American).

Yeah, Fate takes a WHILE to get rolling. Doesn't really improve 'til issue 7.

I am still irked they pulled an Everybody Hates Hades on Anubis.

I LOVED that.

Which is why I feel like this book was too abrupt with that. I would have loved to see that strange longing examined in some capacity.

Yeah, it could have used a couple of pages dedicated to that, but it wasn't so much an issue that I felt it really detracted from the book.

TheFlow

Banned
I LOVED that.

I think it is why Ollie and Dinah click so well. They know each other without remembering it. I don't expect them to go full on couple for a while though because Ollie is cool but a hypocrite.

It is quite literally bait.
Yea I know. I can't defend DC on the rebirth choices. It really is just going to confuse fans

Definitely confused me. This seriously just popped my balloon so hard. Hype dropped like a rock, eager wallet goes back into my pocket.
I guess I'll still keep up with Superman for a little while to see how that turns out since they brought my favorite version back. Besides that I guess I'm taking my ball and going back home
(to marvel)
. :(
(truth be told I havent been particularly impressed with the post-secret wars world either so I guess Im an orphan now)

Thanks. I'll be keeping an eye on things from afar as I usually do. If any post-rebirth runs get particularly interesting I'll check them out later.

MartyStu

Yeah, Fate takes a WHILE to get rolling. Doesn't really improve 'til issue 7.

I am still irked they pulled an Everybody Hates Hades on Anubis.

Yeah, it could have used a couple of pages dedicated to that, but it wasn't so much an issue that I felt it really detracted from the book.

Agreed. The only distraction was some of the dialogue here and there (my standards are pretty high when it comes to this).

Definitely confused me. This seriously just popped my balloon so hard. Hype dropped like a rock, eager wallet goes back into my pocket.
I guess I'll still keep up with Superman for a little while to see how that turns out since they brought my favorite version back. Besides that I guess I'm taking my ball and going back home
(to marvel)
. :(
(truth be told I havent been particularly impressed with the post-secret wars world either so I guess Im an orphan now)

Thanks. I'll be keeping an eye on things from afar as I usually do. If any post-rebirth runs get particularly interesting I'll check them out later.

Stick around, you might end up enjoying yourself :p

I straight up guarantee you'll regret sleeping on Rucka's WW, at bare minimum.

TheFlow

Banned
Silly nonsense make sure you keep up with the comixology sales. You can pick up some worthwhile issues for 99 cents.

Also yeah rucka Wonder Woman next week is something you don't wanna miss

Stick around, you might end up enjoying yourself :p

I straight up guarantee you'll regret sleeping on Rucka's WW, at bare minimum.
Silly nonsense make sure you keep up with the comixology sales. You can pick up some worthwhile issues for 99 cents.

Also yeah rucka Wonder Woman next week is something you don't wanna miss

Considering that my first thought was to go back to my usuals at marvel only for me to realize i havent been enjoying them all that much recently anyway, I guess I might as well.

I'll give it a look next week. Thanks guys.

KonradLaw

So yeah, you guys were right. GA Rebirth was delightful. Full of energy and just pure fun, plus absolutely gorgeous art-wise.

Liked Batman too, altough it felt like half of an issue than the full one. Superman was pretty to look at, but also felt pretty short. But it evoke some feels for me, despite not following Supes in New 52. So I have no clue why there are two Clarks :D
EDIT: Oh..the two supes got explained here a page earlier. Cool :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anyone watch the Comic Pop Back Issues episode for DC Rebirth yet? This is probably the most recent book they've done, and given that, it's probably going to end up being more familiar to all the cast members going into it.

I expect it's still funny, though, as always.

Green Arrow is everything I could have asked for. It's not 80% words like Quiver, and it has the optimism that the latter Nu52 GA lacked. It's already my favorite Ollie and Dinah since the Justice League/Young Justice cartoons.

TTOOLL

Okay. The young Superman is New 52/Post-Flashpoint Superman. This guy:

He lost his powers in his own book and getting them back corrupted his cells and yadda yadda. He was living on borrowed time and in the last fight shown in Superman: Rebirth #1, he gave it his last shot and died. His body turned into stone or something.

In the meantime, the Superman from before Flashpoint had been chilling in the New 52 universe, with his wife Lois and son, Jonathan. This universe already had a Superman, so he decided to leave things alone. Grew a beard, changed his name, and mostly stayed incognito.

Young Superman dies. Elder Superman realizes that this world needs a Superman. Enter new Superman, who's actually old Superman.

Hum, ok. I think I got and I see it's not a simple thing as some of you here still have a lot of doubts regarding what happened with this 10 years thing.

Do we know how elder Superman came to the New 52 universe?

Thank you very much for the explanation.

Ross61

If you're a continuity buff coming into Rebirth, I would suggest to not stress over it. It looks to be slowly molding into either a decently tuned continuity or something haphazardly sewn together. All our questions will not be immediately answered. Since New 52 messed up the continuity by not having all its titles starting from a clear point. And when they tried to explain it, it just got more confusing. And DCYOU not focusing on continuity even more. But Rebirth seems to atleast try to correct this. Many creators have explained that starting from Rebirth onward everything will be in a clearer continuity.

shingi70

Banned
I'm counting the days till new 52 superman comes back. Super dad is just too convoluted to bring in newer readers. Personally I would have killed off Superdad and left Younger Clark to help Lois and Jon.

My girlfriend was vault intrested in reading one of the main superman books till I explained what was going and she just gave me a weird look and settled on Supergirl.

Really rolling back on new 52 superman shows how DC doesn't know what the hell they want from the character at all.

shingi70

Banned
Hum, ok. I think I got and I see it's not a simple thing as some of you here still have a lot of doubts regarding what happened with this 10 years thing.

Do we know how elder Superman came to the New 52 universe?

Thank you very much for the explanation.

The convergence mini series explains it pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom