• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

dubq

PSN is mad slow.. trying to download this update now.

Updated - played for a bit and crashed out with a CE-34878-0 error. Now I can't even get back onto the character that it happened with. Crashes every time with the same error message after selecting my main from the character select screen. Wooonderful.

Been a while so I figured I would post.

Firstly I really am enjoying the new 60fps after the update, also I have lots less issues with textures loading slowly etc which is a welcome addition. Overall the game runs great now and rarely gets in the way.

Secondly im still working towards my Tier 4 dps armour, got 2 pieces now and working my way towards the 3rd. I did spend around 2K MoT on getting better rings and a weapon for myself (As I didn’t know I could buy a 2 handed weapon above level 56). Got myself CR level up to 73 now too which is good.

Thirdly im also changing up what I do with my currency, before I used to just sell everything, then I started putting what I can on auction and buying collectables that I needed to complete the sets. Now though I tend to see what cheap armour there is so I can complete my styles and get some extra skill points, then see what collectables they have going. Figured im only at 60 Skill points so I need to keep trying to get as many points as I can to help get my specs up.

Lastly don’t you just hate it when someone in a team doesn’t do what they should do? For example, doing the Police station duo is quite fun and can be quite quick to finish but when you have to disrupt the shield by walking the machine to each prisoner sometimes your partner just stands around or goes about doing nothing while you do all the hard work of releasing each prisoner. I got fed up one time and decided to complain through the chat bar and then throw the tech at him, he quickly decided to start helping out.
Another one is when you are in an alert/raid and someone decides to sprint past some enemies leaving you to fed for yourself. I have had it happen quite a few times, they run forward and leave me on my own to try and get past them, but of course you cant because they keep attacking you, in the end you just die and have to do it all again.

Sambrez_

New DLC announced !

Tier 6 is here! And with it comes the arrival of our 10th DLC Pack – Amazon Fury Part I!

701.jpg

In Brainiac’s bid to digitize the multiverse, he created three avatars, each associated with a powerful Nexus of Technology, Meta, and Magic. It was the Avatar of Magic’s creation on Themyscira outside the gates of Tartarus that has led us to this moment. Furious at the attack on Paradise Island, Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons, began silently planning a counterstrike. Holding the mortal world responsible for letting the infestation of Braniac reach her shores, she decides the time for peace has passed and that the time of war and death has begun.

In Amazon Fury Part I you will experience the beginnings of an all out Amazon assault on Gotham City, the entrance to the Nexus of Reality and the Seat of Brainiac’s power on Earth. But the idea of war has fractured the Amazon civilization, and civil war has erupted. Wonder Woman opposes her mother’s invasion. Amazons have fallen in line behind either their queen or their princess. Which side will you stand beside as the battle for Gotham City begins?

We’re very excited to kick off this trilogy and add a new chapter to the already fantastic Wonder Woman and Circe storylines you can experience in DC Universe Online. Where will the story go from here in Parts II & III? I can tell you now, to great depths and great heights. We’re looking forward to starting this journey with all of you. I know I am anxious to show off the great work the team has done in some livestreams down the road, so stay tuned, because you are going to love what you see.

Until then, here’s a breakdown of the contents of DLC 10 – Amazon Fury Part I.

Thanks,

Jens “Spytle” Andersen
Senior Creative Director
DC Universe Online

New Feature

Weapon Mastery

Inspired by the Amazon’s martial prowess, Weapon Mastery brings combat to a whole new level in DCUO, deepening and expanding the way you use weapon combos and powers together.

New Content

Mythical creatures take up arms as Paradise Island erupts into civil war. Cyclops, Satyrs, Harpies, and more will join the armies of the warring amazons and determine the fate of the mortal world, beginning with Gotham City. The battle lines are being drawn in Amazon Fury Part I.

Gotham Warzone

Gotham City is under assault. An enormous magical barrier has been erected by Hippolyta to contain Brainiac’s forces before the attack begins. Invisible battleships patrol the skies and unload troops and supplies for the assault to come. Creatures from Greek mythology pour into the streets as the warring factions of Amazons begin to form their battle lines. Solo missions in this re-envisioned Gotham City allow players to whether work with the rebels to defend Gotham City and halt the advance of the loyalists, or take up arms with the queen and prepare to reduce the city to rubble.

2 x Iconic Visions

Step into the boots of Wonder Woman and Circe in these two unique Challenges. By using a magical scrying bowl, you will experience a vision of the past and relive the events leading up to the Amazon Civil War that set the events of the Amazon Fury trilogy into motion. Play as Wonder Woman as the Amazon Princess rallies rebel forces to oppose her mother’s invasion of Gotham City. Assume the role of Circe as she tries to prove herself a loyal ally to Hippolyta and lend her godly power to the invading Amazon armada.

681.jpg

685.jpg

2 x Dockside Duos

The Amazons have constructed an Armada of invisible battleships to launch their assault on Gotham City and destroy Brainiac. These ships are being loaded with troops and supplies at the docks of Paradise Island. As a rebel supporter you will need to help Wonder Woman’s forces obtain supplies and ships, while at the same time try to prevent the launch of the enemy’s vessels. As a loyalist working with Circe and Hippolyta, you will find yourself defending the war supplies from the rebels and trying to prevent their ships from pursuing your armada to the mortal world.

683.jpg

684.jpg

Paradise Island Alert

Form a group of four and fight your way to the palace gates! Here you will determine the course of history. Wonder Woman will try to stop Hippolyta and Circe from launching their assault. You will have to battle your way up to the highest point on Paradise Island, to the very gates of the palace itself, through never before seen parts of Themyscira. The foes you will face come straight out of the pages of myth and legend. You will get to choose how the battles unfold, as your path and the decisions you make influence the challenges ahead.

New Gear

Tier Six

This DLC brings a whole new tier to the game. Not only are we adding more power to your characters with the extra stats, but we’ve got a whole new approach to how the drops will work. We will continue our new direction with offering gear and styles on vendors. The drops, however, are going to be handled a little differently however… Everything will be unattuned! So, are you a controller and you just got those best-in-slot legs? Well, celebrate; because they are not for a healer, they are for YOU!

Amazon Styles

These terrific slim line styles will really add to a characters look. We’ve got a great direction going for these Greek inspired styles that have a very mix and match approach to them. You’ll find the possibilities for unique looks with these new appearance items to be numerous.

Make sure you stay tuned to our official channels for more information about everything in Amazon Fury Part I as we get closer to launch!

https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/ne...ine-amazon-fury-creative-director-letter-2014

Trying to play this on my ps4 just to give it a whirl... keep getting an error code when I go and select my character. Really annoying and I can't find help online. Anyone else getting this right now? CE-34878.

edit: Looks like its still downloading, even though there isn't anything in the notification tab, it shows under status. I'll wait and see if downloading it all the way fixes the problem.

dubq

Trying to play this on my ps4 just to give it a whirl... keep getting an error code when I go and select my character. Really annoying and I can't find help online. Anyone else getting this right now? CE-34878.

edit: Looks like its still downloading, even though there isn't anything in the notification tab, it shows under status. I'll wait and see if downloading it all the way fixes the problem.

Try that first. If it doesn't work, usually that error means you need to delete all of the games files and save files from your PS4 and re-install. I had to do it once with DCUO already.. thankfully I haven't gotten that crash again (it usually happened for me during loadscreens).

IconGrist

Is there a guide for DCUO for noobs?

I can get to Level 30 just fine on my own but after that I feel very overwhelmed and confused.

Try that first. If it doesn't work, usually that error means you need to delete all of the games files and save files from your PS4 and re-install. I had to do it once with DCUO already.. thankfully I haven't gotten that crash again (it usually happened for me during loadscreens).

Yeah its working good now, I wish it would just force a complete download before you can start out. Thought there was something wrong with my ps4. Ffff lightning not available to free players, how to make shazam/black adam clone then :(. Can you switch powers later on?

dubq

Yeah its working good now, I wish it would just force a complete download before you can start out. Thought there was something wrong with my ps4. Ffff lightning not available to free players, how to make shazam/black adam clone then :(. Can you switch powers later on?

You can, but you have to pay via the cash shop for a power respec token. I think you can also buy one with loyalty points you get if you're a subscriber.

You can, but you have to pay via the cash shop for a power respec token. I think you can also buy one with loyalty points you get if you're a subscriber.

I think I'll level up what I have to see if I like the game and then make a new character if I subscribe.

IconGrist

Ugh, DC Universe has crashed for me on PS4 4 times in the last 2 days causing a hard freeze. I hate having to unplug from the wall. The PS3 version is acting really glitchy as well. Got 6 characters to lvl15 without issue and now it's something every time I play.

I deleted the game on my PS4 but I have to wait for the maintenance to end before I can re-download.

What exactly does deleting the save file do? Isn't everything saved on the server end?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
So how far can I go without paying in this game? I wouldn't really mind paying one off for something but the monthly charge is not for me.

I am at level 11 I think and I just ran into something that asked for protheneum or something, I guess I just hide that quest and move on.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
If you don't want to pay anything what is open to you?
So how far can I go without paying in this game? I wouldn't really mind paying one off for something but the monthly charge is not for me.

I am at level 11 I think and I just ran into something that asked for protheneum or something, I guess I just hide that quest and move on.
All the story content is free until you reach lv 30 (lv cap). Once you reach lv 30 end game opens up to you and eventually you'll have to purchase dlc's or a sub if you want to continue.

The big thing you're missing out pre lv 30 by not paying is access to the DLC power sets. Rage (Red lantern ring), Quantum, Hardlight (Green/Yellow lantern rings), Celestial, Lightning, and Earth are all locked behind the paywall. Everything else is mostly higher tier content that you won't be able to access till you gear up a lv 30 character. You can get an idea of the stuff in each DLC by going here.

Is there a GAF league?
AFAIK, nope.
Ugh, DC Universe has crashed for me on PS4 4 times in the last 2 days causing a hard freeze. I hate having to unplug from the wall. The PS3 version is acting really glitchy as well. Got 6 characters to lvl15 without issue and now it's something every time I play.

I deleted the game on my PS4 but I have to wait for the maintenance to end before I can re-download.

What exactly does deleting the save file do? Isn't everything saved on the server end?
Character date is saved server side while the local save file stores all your settings.

dubq

I don't think I quite grasp this yet. Why do I have to pay when I'm at level 30?

You don't have to pay anything. You can still play, but just the rate and depth at which you can participate in the base games "end game" (aka post-30) content will be limited compared to that of a subscriber.

Comparison here: https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/en/free/

You DO have to pay if you want to play any of the expansions, however. Either by subscribing, or shelling out $9.99 per DLC expansion.

Killthee

I don't think I quite grasp this yet. Why do I have to pay when I'm at level 30?
Cause after lv 30 the way you improve your stats is with gear and eventually you'll hit a point where the only way to keep getting better gear is to fork over some cash for a DLC pack or pay the sub fee to unlock all the DLC packs.

The first tier of lv 30 content and gear is free - 5 solo challenges, 5 duos (2 man instances), & 4 alerts (4 man instances).​

Once you have enough gear from those instances to raise your combat rating to 43 you gain access to tier 2:
Tier 2 has some content locked behind the paywall - 4 free challenges, 3 free alerts, & 4 free raids (8 man instances). The content behind the paywall includes 4 duos locked behind Lightning Strikes DLC (1) and The Battle for Earth DLC (3), & 2 alerts locked behind Fight for the Light DLC.​

This cycle of gearing up to move on to the next tier of content continues for another 3 tiers.

Tier 3 requires a combat rating of 53 and is also a mix of paid and free content - The free stuff includes 4 challenges, 2 duos, 3 alerts, and 3 raids. The paid stuff includes 2 duos locked behind The Last Laugh DLC (1) and Fight for the Light (1), & 2 alerts locked behind Fight for the Light DLC (1) and The Battle for Earth DLC (1).​

Tier 4 requires a combat rating of 70 and most of it is locked behind the paywall - You get 1 free alert, 1 alert locked behind the Hands of Fate DLC, and 4 raids locked behind The Battle for Earth DLC (2) and Hand of Fate DLC (2).​

Tier 5 requires a 80 combat rating and has zero free content - 2 solo challenges locked behind Origin Crisis DLC, 3 Duos locked behind the Sons of Trigon DLC, 5 alerts locked behind Origin Crisis DLC (2), Sons of Trigon DLC (1), and War of the Light DLC (2), & 3 raids locked behind Origin Crisis DLC (2) and War of the Light (1).​

As you can see you can keep on playing without paying a cent up to T4, but it'll be a really long boring grind cause you won't have access to a good chunk of the content and you won't be able to take shortcuts (you can bump up your CR pretty quickly with Lightning Strikes, Battle for Earth, Sons of Trigon & War of the Light).

You don't have to pay anything. You can still play, but just the rate and depth at which you can participate in the base games "end game" (aka post-30) content will be limited compared to that of a subscriber.

Comparison here: https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/en/free/

You DO have to pay if you want to play any of the expansions, however. Either by subscribing, or shelling out $9.99 per DLC expansion.

Cause after lv 30 the way you improve your stats is with gear and eventually you'll hit a point where the only way to keep getting better gear is to fork over some cash for a DLC pack or pay the sub fee to unlock all the DLC packs.

The first tier of lv 30 content and gear is free - 5 solo challenges, 5 duos (2 man instances), & 4 alerts (4 man instances).​

Once you have enough gear from those instances to raise your combat rating to 43 you gain access to tier 2:
Tier 2 has some content locked behind the paywall - 4 free challenges, 3 free alerts, & 4 free raids (8 man instances). The content behind the paywall includes 4 duos locked behind Lightning Strikes DLC (1) and The Battle for Earth DLC (3), & 2 alerts locked behind Fight for the Light DLC.​

This cycle of gearing up to move on to the next tier of content continues for another 3 tiers.

Tier 3 requires a combat rating of 53 and is also a mix of paid and free content - The free stuff includes 4 challenges, 2 duos, 3 alerts, and 3 raids. The paid stuff includes 2 duos locked behind The Last Laugh DLC (1) and Fight for the Light (1), & 2 alerts locked behind Fight for the Light DLC (1) and The Battle for Earth DLC (1).​

Tier 4 requires a combat rating of 70 and most of it is locked behind the paywall - You get 1 free alert, 1 alert locked behind the Hands of Fate DLC, and 4 raids locked behind The Battle for Earth DLC (2) and Hand of Fate DLC (2).​

Tier 5 requires a 80 combat rating and has zero free content - 2 solo challenges locked behind Origin Crisis DLC, 3 Duos locked behind the Sons of Trigon DLC, 5 alerts locked behind Origin Crisis DLC (2), Sons of Trigon DLC (1), and War of the Light DLC (2), & 3 raids locked behind Origin Crisis DLC (2) and War of the Light (1).​

As you can see you can keep on playing without paying a cent up to T4, but it'll be a really long boring grind cause you won't have access to a good chunk of the content and you won't be able to take shortcuts (you can bump up your CR pretty quickly with Lightning Strikes, Battle for Earth, Sons of Trigon & War of the Light).

Alright, thanks. I'll see if I like the game or not, then maybe I'll think about subscribing later.

Can anyone recommend me a good keybind layout? The default one is awful and I don't have a controller with me. I'm still experimenting with couple of different layouts but nothing pleased me. I'd like something that allow me to cast quickly and the number row isn't really fit for using with WASD imo. Any input is appreciated. I will adjust if necessary.

Also, I play Ice DPS but I can't find good gear/armor that focus on DPS stats. Any suggest on vendors location or dropouts is welcome. I'm lvl 19 right now.

Lastly, Game Update 36 is out right now with the All Access stuff. Just to let you guys know.

What is All Access?
https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/the-new-soe-all-access-plan-faq.189113/
Dear DCUO Member (PC),

Thank you for your feedback regarding our membership benefits. The result has led to a brand-new offering that we’re excited to bring to our valued players.

On or about April 29th, we will be rolling out a simple, new All Access membership plan full of value. In the new All Access plan, members will be able to:
•Claim 500 Station Cash monthly from within the game marketplaces.
•Receive a 10% discount on marketplace purchases.
•Gain access to exclusive promotions and offers throughout the year.

And we’ve gone a step further…

We will be upgrading all existing individual game memberships to the new All Access plan, which will include the top-tier membership level in all eligible SOE games (EverQuest, EverQuest II, DC Universe Online PC, PlanetSide 2 PC, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, and the upcoming EverQuest Next and EQN Landmark) for one, low monthly rate of $14.99 (with extra savings for 3, 6 and 12 month plans). We’re also finalizing membership benefits to other games such as Dragon’s Prophet and will share these new updates as available.

We value you as a player and want you to know we are listening so please continue to share feedback. We hope the new All Access membership plan will allow you to further your enjoyment of your favorite SOE game, and discover exciting, new experiences across our current and upcoming portfolio of online games.

On or about April 29th, all players with existing memberships will be automatically upgraded into the new plan. So sit back, relax and enjoy the new savings and benefits!
For PC as far as I'm concerned.

Killthee

Can anyone recommend me a good keybind layout? The default one is awful and I don't have a controller with me. I'm still experimenting with couple of different layouts but nothing pleased me. I'd like something that allow me to cast quickly and the number row isn't really fit for using with WASD imo. Any input is appreciated. I will adjust if necessary.

Also, I play Ice DPS but I can't find good gear/armor that focus on DPS stats. Any suggest on vendors location or dropouts is welcome. I'm lvl 19 right now.

Lastly, Game Update 36 is out right now with the All Access stuff. Just to let you guys know.
Can't really help you with a layout since I play with a controller, but as for gear, it's mostly crap before lv 30. I think the vendors at the police station/hideouts have a couple of pre lv 30 sets that can help you out if you're not getting anything from the instances.

Once you hit 30 the vendors at your faction headquarters can offer you gear. I don't remember which vendor specifically sells the basic lv 30 suit, but you can find a list of the iconic suits here.

dubq

Q: I play DCUO or PlanetSide 2 on the PlayStation console. Can I get SOE All Access too?
A: Unfortunately, due to the difference in platform structure and account management, SOE All Access membership will not be available for our console players at this time.
DCUO PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 members will be able to benefit from 10% off all Marketplace purchases.

:(

Okay, so there is this side quest that asked me to release a bunch of captured officers. The problem is that I've released all of them while doing the main mission, and only activated the side quest after I finished that mission. Now I go back to the mission location, there is no officers to release and I can't finish the side quest. Is there any solution to this?

Edit: nvm, I reloaded my character again via the character switcher and it worked.

dubq

I seriously hope they consider adding the single subscription thing to the consoles as well. I am definitely more likely to play EQ and H1Z1 if I only have to pay one free a la the PC customers.

Killthee

I seriously hope they consider adding the single subscription thing to the consoles as well. I am definitely more likely to play EQ and H1Z1 if I only have to pay one free a la the PC customers.
Yeah I won't bother with any other SOE PS4 game if they don't offer a similar PS4 plan.

I noticed that while other graphic options can be turned to high in the PC version, texture can only be set at normal. How is the texture, and graphic in general, of the PS4 version?

dubq

It looks "high" to me (especially if you have 60fps enabled) but then again I've never seen the PC version first hand, so I can't really compare it to that. It looks aeons better than the PS3 version, either way.

Killthee

My PC chugs whenever I try to run the game and I played the PS3 version for almost two years so I'm probably not the best judge in the graphics department, but the textures look alright to me. Nothing amazing, but way better than the low res stuff on the PS3.

As for the graphics in general, the game runs at 1080p and tries to hit 60fps but it dips pretty frequently in the larger zones & the heavily populated ones. Jaggies are also very apparent and pop in is still in. It's a decent port, but PC is probably still supreme.

I took some quick screenshots with the Share button to give you an idea of how it looks:

Few more here: http://abload.de/gallery.php?key=jEpEGTDa

I had a quick go off this earlier on PS4 and enjoyed it.

Am I correct in assuming that Shazam/Captain Marvel/Black Adam style powers are not possible?

Killthee

Am I correct in assuming that Shazam/Captain Marvel/Black Adam style powers are not possible?
Correct. Pre-launch there was talk of a Might & Mastery powerset that would focus purely on physical abilities (Wonder Woman, Superman, etc...), but that idea was scrapped cause they weren't able to make it work. Something about not knowing how to make the powerset unique and fun without gimping things from the other powers (like flight or superstrength).

There are a couple of useless powers that fit the bill though, but they're not really viable for anything serious cause of the limited number of powers you can keep on your hotbar. You can find them under the Iconic Powers tree. IIRC, there's a passive one for superstrength so you can pick up the buses in the city and there's one for the Shazam animation (I think it's called Word of Power). I think you need to be lv 10 to start using them.

Kyari

You can do it using the iconic power Word of Power which any power set can take at level 10. It calls down a bolt of lightning, knocks back/stuns enemies and gives you a weak cure and power regen. I think it also electrifies enemies? I can't remember. Its not an amazing move, but it does what you want as far as making a Shazam-like character goes.

As mentioned previously you can also take Super Strength later to let you lift heavier environmental objects and throw them.

In recent incarnations Captain Marvel and Black Adam have used some lighting powers, and there's a power set for that with DLC. Alternatively pick any powerset you want, spec Brawler for weapons and then ignore your basic power moves and build your character using the Flight powers instead.

Top Bottom