• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

I hate this one too. For the reasons above, but also because it seems like EVERY time I do it, I get someone who has no idea what they are doing and just runs in and tries to kill the Reds, even though they just get back up a few seconds later. Drives me batty. I'll just stand on a tower until they figure it out and come to their senses.

Also, speaking of red/rage:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BepPlKHCIAA1B6R.jpg:orig[/IM][/QUOTE]

Yeah it is always annoying when you get someone who doesnt know what to do there, im flying above trying to get to the bombs and i just see them fighting away for no reason.

dubq

I think you should be good for that, then. Maybe strive for 800 as your next goal. Just note that if there is another controller always ask what their vitality is. Whoever has the higher does Power Over Time. Otherwise, if you're both doing that, they have the habit of cancelling eachother out. =\

I think you should be good for that, then. Maybe strive for 800 as your next goal. Just note that if there is another controller always ask what their vitality is. Whoever has the higher does Power Over Time. Otherwise, if you're both doing that, they have the habit of cancelling eachother out. =\

Ok. I'm working on getting that up, trying to do some feats. Yeah, I read that happens. Whenever there is another controller in a group I'm in I always assume they're leveled up more than I am. lol I just started really getting into DCUO last month so I'm sure most of the controllers out there are at a higher level than I am. So I usually just use my defibrillator and my damage debuff, just to play it safe.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Oh, Killthee, i will add you when i play next, wish you could just add people through PSN but oh well.
I tried adding you after you posted your character name, but it said "Player Not Found" so I assumed you were on EUPS instead of USPS. Sucks cause I don't mind power running through the old instances.

Dubq, you're on the villain USPS side right? Hit me up if you ever wanna run something, my character name is Disenchant.

I tried adding you after you posted your character name, but it said "Player Not Found" so I assumed you were on EUPS instead of USPS. Sucks cause I don't mind power running through the old instances.

Dubq, you're on the villain USPS side right? Hit me up if you ever wanna run something, my character name is Disenchant.
ah crap, hadn't thought of that. I tried adding you myself via the ps app but had the same problem with your PSN name too?

Killthee

ah crap, hadn't thought of that. I tried adding you myself via the ps app but had the same problem with your PSN name too?
I got the PSN friend request and accepted it, but I don't use my main PSN account for DCUO cause I got it permabanned a long time ago lol. If you ever jump on the USPS server or if they ever merge the EU and US servers hit me up.

styl3s

Runs 60fps on PS4? Was going to dl it on PC but i have been wanting to clock some time on my PS4 so i am thinking about downloading it.

Any tips for a beginner? Best class or hero type or whatever for someone who will most likely solo 90% of the game? Also, is PS4/PC cross play? Can i play my PS4 character on PC and PC character on PS4?

Runs 60fps on PS4? Was going to dl it on PC but i have been wanting to clock some time on my PS4 so i am thinking about downloading it.

Any tips for a beginner? Best class or hero type or whatever for someone who will most likely solo 90% of the game? Also, is PS4/PC cross play? Can i play my PS4 character on PC and PC character on PS4?

I'm still kinda a beginner too and chose the controller role. I would say if you're going to solo maybe choose the healer role or the damage role.

The PS4 and PC are not cross-play. I know they talked about wanting to do this but I think for technical reasons they can't for now. You can cross play with PS3 and PS4 players.

If you want more info on the roles and powers check out the DCUO wiki. It has helped me out a bunch along with people in this thread.

Roles

Powers

Mentors

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
After about a few years I decided to hop back in and I'm really, really happy to see all the of the improvements made since release. Its just refreshing to see so much added, streamlined, and refined. I had a level 30 controller but I've decided to reroll and I'm trying out the new Rage powers. Its a very different feel imo. Healers are going too have a very difficult time adjusting to the delayed damage aspect at work. Its fun, but you're really riding a razors edge at times.

Tried the shield too. Its pretty meh - but all the styles of it look awesome so it kinda makes up for it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
As I have a PS4 and as I love super heroes and MMOs, I am considering this game for PS4. However, I just want to make sure SOE is going to support this for a long time. Is the game doing well? Is it fun on PS4 (or PS3 for reference)? If I liked City of Heroes, will I like this game?

Also, I realize it is free to play, but I would likely pay the subscription. Is this game hard to platinum for that matter?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
As I have a PS4 and as I love super heroes and MMOs, I am considering this game for PS4. However, I just want to make sure SOE is going to support this for a long time. Is the game doing well? Is it fun on PS4 (or PS3 for reference)? If I liked City of Heroes, will I like this game?

Also, I realize it is free to play, but I would likely pay the subscription. Is this game hard to platinum for that matter?

The game's been out for around 3 years and has had tons of support. Its not really in the same boat as City of Heroes imo though. Just try it out first. Its F2P right now so there's no need to spend anything if you're just curious.

dubq

Finally got my Gunslinger style! I've been trying to get this since beta.. but gave up as it is a PVP item and I'm not really a PVP guy. They got rid of the style but most recently brought it back with the new PVP season. I persevered and finally got enough marks via Legends Lair Battles to get it - woohoo!!!

Be4BRozIQAAI0D1.jpg:orig

I actually kinda grew to like PVP a bit more after playing all of those matches. I may stick with it for a bit, at least enough to get the feats associated with it.

Killthee

It seems to be doing well, they've announced plans for 9 DLC packs coming out between this year and next. If you're a fan of DC or the DC Animated Universe, definitely give it a shot.

As for getting the platinum, it's ridiculously easy but it's a boring grind so most people don't bother with it. The grind comes from leveling 6 different characters to level 30 which isn't difficult but it's very boring running the same stuff over and over for it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
just started this in earnest for the first time last night. US PS4/PS3 PvE. So one quick question (the only currently lingering one). Is the ONLY way you can lock target to really hold L1? I turned on auto-lock on settings, and couldn't find a way to either release it (short of killing the mob) or switch it to someone else.

Seems like such a trivial thing to just make tap L1 to lock, tap again to release lock. Then..... R3(?) to cycle targets? Does any of this functionality change if I add a keyboard?

finally got the armored bat suit!

(click for bigger pic)

And holy crap at 10,000 mark of triumph needed for T3 armor, compared to 1,600 for that T2 batsuit. lol

ReaperXL7

finally got the armored bat suit!

(click for bigger pic)

And holy crap at 10,000 mark of triumph needed for T3 armor, compared to 1,600 for that T2 batsuit. lol

Once you start doing the bigger raids/and operations you'll start getting marks like water. You can speed it up more if you pick up some replay badges also.

dubq

Yeah, the monthly bonus alone for those raids is something like 3000 MOT. I just kept using replay badges until I had the full set within a day or two.

Killthee

just started this in earnest for the first time last night. US PS4/PS3 PvE. So one quick question (the only currently lingering one). Is the ONLY way you can lock target to really hold L1? I turned on auto-lock on settings, and couldn't find a way to either release it (short of killing the mob) or switch it to someone else.

Seems like such a trivial thing to just make tap L1 to lock, tap again to release lock. Then..... R3(?) to cycle targets? Does any of this functionality change if I add a keyboard?
AFAIK, auto lock on also locks you automatically to any enemy you hit so you're probably tapping L1 to release the lock but still hitting them which causes you to lock back on. It's really stupid cause it should work the way you say, tap once to lock on and tap again to release. You can cycle between targets with a controller though, hold L1 + Left or Right on the D-pad to cycle and while we're on the subject Hold L1 + Up or Down on the D-pad lets you zoom in and out the camera.

As for keyboard controls on the console version, the game has full keyboard support on PS4 but it's missing mouse support so the only way to control the camera/aiming and weapon attacks on the console version is by using a controller.

Once you start doing the bigger raids/and operations you'll start getting marks like water. You can speed it up more if you pick up some replay badges also.
I think the jump from Tier 3 to 4 is pretty big, especially since you only get 1 extra 4 player alert and some raids (which you wont be good enough for straight away).

Got all my Tier 3 armour and am now just saving, got myself about 1600 MoT at the moment so slowly getting their for my first Tier 4 piece (5000 MoT ), I just wish I could do more raids as I hardly ever get into them or people end up leaving etc.

Part of me was thinking of putting off saving for Tier 4 and just go around buying all the cheaper iconic styles to get some more skill points, I only have about 53 SP (IIRC) at the moment but it’s a tough call, increase SP or save and get a bigger initial payoff for each piece.

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

At what point will I be able to solo some of those wanted bosses running around Gotham and Metropolis? Or will you always need a group to take them down? I heard the highest level gear in the game is T5.5 or T6 now? It would be nice to be able to solo those guys when reaching that level gear. It's always tough to find people to help out with those wanted side missions.

Killthee

I think the jump from Tier 3 to 4 is pretty big, especially since you only get 1 extra 4 player alert and some raids (which you wont be good enough for straight away).

Got all my Tier 3 armour and am now just saving, got myself about 1600 MoT at the moment so slowly getting their for my first Tier 4 piece (5000 MoT ), I just wish I could do more raids as I hardly ever get into them or people end up leaving etc.

Part of me was thinking of putting off saving for Tier 4 and just go around buying all the cheaper iconic styles to get some more skill points, I only have about 53 SP (IIRC) at the moment but it’s a tough call, increase SP or save and get a bigger initial payoff for each piece.

Any ideas would be appreciated :)
If you have a sub or have bought the dlc packs, I would go for the gear so you could bump your CR and unlock more stuff to run. If you have Battle for Earth try to get into Gates walk ins so you can pickup some of the trash drops and finish the investigation pieces (I think you get a wearable face mask) to bump up your CR.

If you have Home Turf and a 70CR make sure you run the dailies every day for 250 marks and the bounties when you see someone shouting in LFG for another 250 marks. If you have Hands of Fate make sure you also run the 4 man op every day since it's easier than Inner and drops the same amount of marks. The 8 man ops are also easier than Gates and drop the same amount of marks.

At what point will I be able to solo some of those wanted bosses running around Gotham and Metropolis? Or will you always need a group to take them down? I heard the highest level gear in the game is T5.5 or T6 now? It would be nice to be able to solo those guys when reaching that level gear. It's always tough to find people to help out with those wanted side missions.
You should definitely be able to solo them at one point, but I'm not sure what tier that is cause I haven't bothered running them post buff. Before the buff they were lv 10 - 29 missions so you could solo them once you had enough T2 gear.

T~5.5 is the current max. You can skip T5 completely and go to T5.1 (Gotham Wastelands) or T5.5 (Mogo/Ranx). T6 will come with the next DLC pack.

You should definitely be able to solo them at one point, but I'm not sure what tier that is cause I haven't bothered running them post buff. Before the buff they were lv 10 - 29 missions so you could solo them once you had enough T2 gear.

T~5.5 is the current max. You can skip T5 completely and go to T5.1 (Gotham Wastelands) or T5.5 (Mogo/Ranx). T6 will come with the next DLC pack.

Ok cool. The new wanted missions opened up after I got my cr to 53(my current cr is 59). I got a bunch of wanted missions Heatwave, Pied Piper etc...and access to central city. Basically a lot of T3 stuff.

dubq

I was shocked at how fast I went from CR82 to CR89 solely by being walked into Wastelands early. Once I got CR84 I was able to get into stuff on my own and CR89 came so fast. Crazy!

dubq

I see people in the chat asking for someone to do a "walk-in", what is that?

Basically, if you want to get into Wastelands, you need to be CR84.. but if you're not, the door to Wastelands is closed. But if you group with other CR84's, the door is open and you can just walk in and get some loot. ;)

I see people in the chat asking for someone to do a "walk-in", what is that?

Certain areas and instances (Gotham Wastelands, Metropolis Battlezone, Themyscira, etc) have CR requirements that prevent lower CR players from entering them unless grouped with someone who meets the CR requirement. So a walk-in is a way to do a raid or open world area when you're not at the required CR yet.

dubq

I've been getting so many good drops lately from the new DLC.. it feels like I'm actually getting drops FOR my role more often than not. I hope that is on purpose, and would love to see it done for the rest of the game. Too often do I get useless (to me) tank or healer gear. It's especially annoying when it's a style that I don't have yet, as well.

Killthee

Ok cool. The new wanted missions opened up after I got my cr to 53(my current cr is 59). I got a bunch of wanted missions Heatwave, Pied Piper etc...and access to central city. Basically a lot of T3 stuff.
Oh you mean the CC bounties, you can solo those ~T5. Some are easier than others, Zoom/Flash/Kid Flash can be a bit of a PITA to solo cause they don't stand still for very long.

Certain areas and instances (Gotham Wastelands, Metropolis Battlezone, Themyscira, etc) have CR requirements that prevent lower CR players from entering them unless grouped with someone who meets the CR requirement. So a walk-in is a way to do a raid or open world area when you're not at the required CR yet.

Oh you mean the CC bounties, you can solo those ~T5. Some are easier than others, Zoom/Flash/Kid Flash can be a bit of a PITA to solo cause they don't stand still for very long.

Oh ok, thank you both for the info.

I started an alt character. It's an electric healer. This is my first time using a healer so I was wondering if anyone here has any tips for an electric healer?

Oh ok, thank you both for the info.

I started an alt character. It's an electric healer. This is my first time using a healer so I was wondering if anyone here has any tips for an electric healer?

Electric healing is arguable the most challenging of the healing sets as it requires you to be almost constantly on top of healing. Some of the other healer sets are arguably a little more relaxed. One thing to remember is that all of the healing powers clip with each other. My usual set up on my electric healer is Galvanize - Electrogenesis or Wired - Bio-Capacitor - Ionic Drain - Arc Lightning or Bio-Electric Surge and Group Transducer.

I'd read up on a guide or two and maybe even consider a different healer set. I love electric healing but it's a real challenge to do well imo.

Electric healing is arguable the most challenging of the healing sets as it requires you to be almost constantly on top of healing. Some of the other healer sets are arguably a little more relaxed. One thing to remember is that all of the healing powers clip with each other. My usual set up on my electric healer is Galvanize - Electrogenesis or Wired - Bio-Capacitor - Ionic Drain - Arc Lightning or Bio-Electric Surge and Group Transducer.

I'd read up on a guide or two and maybe even consider a different healer set. I love electric healing but it's a real challenge to do well imo.

Wow, ok I don't know that. I'll take a look at some guides. Thanks for the tips.

borghe

posted this on the official forums. I am REALLY enjoying the game. So much so that I grabbed the PS4 Legends access.. Still very bummed at the reality that, ultimately, the game is not really playable at/after 30 by a Premium player. Unless I am missing something, when I eventually cancel my Legends access, yes I'll be able to login and use whatever content I've purchased, but with the escrow and cash cap where it is... very quickly it will become impossible for me to play without paying real money, and nothing SHORT OF real money will change that :(

So I've put some time into Premium access, and now as well have put some time into Legendary. Comparing the two apples to apples, I would have to argue the reality that Premium is ultimately not "playable" as a good experience.

Now mind you there are plenty of things in the Premium experience that are fine. Bank/character/inventory/auction slots being limited and needing to be purchased to increase. Replay badges. Lockboxes. Expansion/DLC content such as belts, collections, raids/alerts, and ultimately gear above T3-ish. Most of it is quality of life with is "paid" in almost every F2P model. and the content items are not ideal, but given how MMORPGs work and the expectations of their player bases, it's understandable.

But ultimately, DCUO fails as F2P because of money and escrow. Now in theory I have no issue with a cash limit and the concept of escrow. Or even things like mailed cash going straight to escrow and such. But there are two major problems as I see it:

1) the $2000 limit essentially makes the game unplayable when it comes to the MM part of MMO. You are limited to listing items for at most $40K in the Broker (which is vastly undervalued for practically anything you would put in the Broker), you essentially can't purchase anything in the broker, and with any sort of decent gear (gear which can in fact be earned at Premium) upkeep repair potentially becomes impossible to keep up with. It comes very quickly to the point at level 30 that you CANNOT play the game as a Premium player with the current limit.

2) so there are the escrow IAPs. One for four $1K withdrawals, one for $10K, one for $25K, and one for unlimited access for one week. Well we all know the problem here. The first three options in reality aren't usable for anything outside of repairs, which when it comes down to it means you MUST pay real cash to keep going at any reasonable rate while repairing. It no longer is a quality of life issue like one could I suppose argue about the Broker. It comes down to an actual gating mechanic. However unlike most F2P games where such a gating mechanic can be optionally removed with either real money OR real world time, in DCUO the gating mechanic can ONLY be removed with real money and nothing else at all. Hence DCUO is ultimately F2P.....eh, sort of not really.

3) So that leaves us with the 7 day escrow access at $5. So you buy it once, get 7 days of access, problem solved (well not really, but you get "full game" access for 7 days). But IF you need it again during the month... you are now paying $10. Yet with a month of Legendary access for $15, you get a $5 loyalty stipend essentially coming to a wash. So let's look at this... it basically comes down to that the game is nearly unplayable without escrow access, but the only sensible way to access escrow is to basically carry a subscription.

4) so I don't want to just blast away with "so raise the cap!!", or recklessly just say "remove the caps!!!". However ultimately I am not sure how a cap could even be responsibly implemented in the game. The bulk of cash in the game is used in a player-based economy, just like plenty of (most?) other MMORPGs. The thing about a player-based economy is obviously that's it's subject to inflation and recession. So during a recessed period of the economy the $2000 limit (or any limit) will have less of an impact (though I can't imagine $2000 EVER being usable in DCUO's current state). During an inflated period the, well, whatever limit, will have a greater impact on the Premium player. So the current option is to leave the limit fixed.. meaning the more inflated the economy becomes, the less playable the game becomes for Premium players. The other option is to have the limit scale with the state of the game's economy, which I can't imagine is very realistic or feasible.

anyway, I'm sure nothing is being said here that hasn't been brought up a million times before... It just stinks coming to DCUO from so many other F2P games that ARE truly F2P with you paying simply to improve an already great experience, to a game where.. you can't really have any sort of positive experience at 30 without carrying a subscription. Even if I were to pay significantly more than a subscription cost to buy all DLC and max out all of my commodity slots, sooner than later I am STILL going to be required to carry a subscription just to repair my gear or do anything on the Broker (with all of those extra slots that I paid real cash for)

posted this on the official forums. I am REALLY enjoying the game. So much so that I grabbed the PS4 Legends access.. Still very bummed at the reality that, ultimately, the game is not really playable at/after 30 by a Premium player. Unless I am missing something, when I eventually cancel my Legends access, yes I'll be able to login and use whatever content I've purchased, but with the escrow and cash cap where it is... very quickly it will become impossible for me to play without paying real money, and nothing SHORT OF real money will change that :(

I agree. And it is a great game. Did you get lucky and lock in the $30 for three months sub? $10 a month for DCUO is, especially when I consider the fun I get out of it, a huge bargain.

Also, are you hero or villain side?

NeonZ

As far as repairs go, just always keep buying and selling Solder Colas for extra money. At least up to T3 equipment, I haven't had problems with that. But, yeah, the broker is almost completely useless for a Premium player.

borghe

ok, so first yeah I locked in the $30 for 3. Second, I AM greatly enjoying the game, but ultimately don't want to manage a subscription. Given the limited nature of the offer I'm not canceling yet... but it's still likely I will. (i.e. I won't prematurely cancel knowing that even with 2 months remaining, if I change my mind I can't get the $30 for 3 offer again).

So like I said I posted this on the official forums, and it was met with supporters and detractors, which I figured. What was not too shocking I suppose, were the supporters were essentially of the mindset "It's a subscription game and we are subscribers. Take your F2P pleeb shit elsewhere loser. We don't need your F2P bullshit ass in this game."

Which of course seems very... harmful? I mean the game didn't go F2P because the subscriber numbers were setting the world on fire.. One guy even said "Premium players aren't the saviors of the game" to which I responded "The might not currently be, but you sure as hell better hope they are because given industry trends, the subscription players CERTAINLY won't be that saviors"

Anyway, I've actually been doing research on effectively playing premium (of course with DLC purchased, and bank and inventory slots purchased.. broker slots seem largely worthless as you can't list anything for over $40K because of fees). Basically it looks like your "repair stash" is mainly interface II's (they stack up to $29K and sell individually for $1.8K), and your trade currency is largely exobits (on the PS3/4 server around $200-350K worth of trade per stack)

anyway.. we'll see. like I said.. the only reason it drew a post from me is because the game's other F2P mechanics are largely actually decent. The cash cap is simply the one that stands out as not quality of life, but seriously gating the game. I also find it very distasteful that the devs AND players try to sell it as quality of life and bypassing grinding. Quality of life is "you will get to x in y amount of time. You can pay money to get to y faster." which is how they're selling it. But in reality it's "you can never get to x. However you can jump through all sorts of hoops and go completely out of your way to sort of work around it. Sort of."

Yoday

I am just now starting to get back into this game, and I am really loving it. I actually bought the CE of the game at launch and subbed for a few months, but for whatever reason I didn't really play it at all. My only character was a level ten, so knowing what I know now, I must have only played for like eight hours tops. I wish I would have given the game some more time, because I am finding it to be an incredibly enjoyable experience so far. I am playing a Celestial currently, and I am up to level 27, so I am almost ready to start doing end game content, which is exciting. I have been leveling as a DPS, but I just swapped to healing, and I have been enjoying that quite a bit. The power combos of Celestial is one of the coolest things I have seen combat wise in an MMO on both the DPS and healer side of things.

If anyone would like to play you can feel free to friend me either in-game, on PSN, or both. I'd love to have some people to group up with at some point for raids and such.

DCUO - Celistra
PSN - YodaySunrider

Killthee

I know some people in here were asking about whether this is 60fps for PS4 and as of today now it is :D

It really looks great, buttery smooth!
How stable is it? I know pre patch some sections like the Knightsdome had some nasty framedrops and with the patch notes mentioning that the 60fps option was more of a variable frame rate option I'm wondering if there's even more nasty drops in other sections.

How stable is it? I know pre patch some sections like the Knightsdome had some nasty framedrops and with the patch notes mentioning that the 60fps option was more of a variable frame rate option I'm wondering if there's even more nasty drops in other sections.

I'm not sure, to be honest. I did some running around the Watchtower and in the open world for Central City bounties (feats!) and it seemed fine. But I haven't raided or done group content or PvP yet, so yeah, it may dip.

Yoday

There are still frame drops here and there, but it is far smoother than it was before. It maintains the 60fps most of the time from what I have played so far. It feels absolutely fantastic. On top of the framerate increase they also seem to have improved the texture streaming, as I'm not flying across the city and running into buildings with blank textures on them like I was before. You can still see the textures load in off in the distance, but it isn't anywhere near as bad as it was before the patch. I could be going crazy, but I'm also pretty sure there was a resolution increase. The game looks significantly better than it did before the patch. It looks much sharper and much cleaner, and I don't think it is because of a texture resolution bump. If it did indeed get a resolution bump, then the game was probably running at 900p before.

This patch really feels like what we were expecting from a PS4 version, and it is probably what the team was aiming for when making the PS4 port, but decided to put the game out at launch a bit more unfinished than they had hoped. All in all this patch makes the PS4 version of the game absolutely amazing.

Top Bottom