• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

How important is renown? I see I cant buy anything from Wayne tech until I have earned enough renown. Should I be concerned with getting renown this early on in the game or should I wait until I get to level 30?

dubq

How important is renown? I see I cant buy anything from Wayne tech until I have earned enough renown. Should I be concerned with getting renown this early on in the game or should I wait until I get to level 30?

I think you get feats for getting certain levels of renown, so it's useful to get from a skill point stance. Aside from that I think it's just to say what "faction" equipment you can or can't buy.

Cool, thanks for the help and link. I gave it a quick glance and its going to help me a lot. Whenever I'm doing missions or Alerts with others, I always felt like I should be doing something more than just fighting. Lol

If you're running alerts, try to always keep up power over time-- each of the controller power sets has two powers that will do ticks of power and show a little lightning bolt by your name to show that it's working. Past that you have a couple powers that instantly give power back to people in the group. It's also good to use that. Overall, just keep an eye on everyone's power bar, especially the healer's.

Also, you have a number of powers that apply different debuffs to enemies. The most useful are the ones that reduce enemies' defenses. You'll know if you landed one as the enemy will have a little red shield next to his name. Very helpful to use during boss fights :)

Ahh, Controlling is such a thankless role. I love it, but holy fuck do people not appreciate the steps involved to do it properly, in my experience.

I always appreciate a good Controller! You're right that it's easy to take them for granted but it's glaringly obvious when a 'Troller is missing or not there.

It's not so important. For the most part it'll fill organically, but you might want to focus on getting your renown up with one of the three factions as you approach level 30. The renown gear sets (sold in the Watchtower in each of the wings, I think Wonder Girl sells one of the sets) are great, inexpensive starter lvl 30 gear before you start working on Tier gear.

dubq

I always appreciate a good Controller! You're right that it's easy to take them for granted but it's glaringly obvious when a 'Troller is missing or not there.

Oh, true say - there are a lot who do appreciate the role. But so many that also just don't get that there's more than being a battery when doing Controlling. I'm stunning those Healer Drones and preventing Brainiac Prime from healing up, dawgs, cut me some slack! ;)

Personally I love it when we get a second Controller in the raid, and when it's one who understands how POT/Vitality works, to boot.

I have another question. I see when I press up on the D-pad it says i can switch role. what does that mean?

This is the armor suit I want. It looks sweet.

1IlPOYa.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I have another question. I see when I press up on the D-pad it says i can switch role. what does that mean?

This is the armor suit I want. It looks sweet.

http://i.imgur.com/1IlPOYa.jpg/img][/quote]
Each power has a support role (either controller, tank, or healer) and a damage role (dps). While in the damage role you deal more damage and your powers buff up your weapon based attacks. In support role you either get no damage buff or a damage penalty, but your powers will be buffed towards supporting the group (power over time/debuffs if you're a troll, buffed heals for a healer, increased aggro and def for a tank, etc...).

You can check your current role by looking at the upper left icon on the status bar. Everyone starts as a DPS (flame icon), at level 10 you unlock your support role and can switch to it by pressing up on the D-Pad or T on a keyboard. Here are the support role icons:

[QUOTE][IMG]https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/images/gameupdates/ten/screenshots/large/dcuo-game-update-10-role.jpg

Each power has a support role (either controller, tank, or healer) and a damage role (dps). While in the damage role you deal more damage and your powers buff up your weapon based attacks. In support role you either get no damage buff or a damage penalty, but your powers will be buffed towards supporting the group (power over time/debuffs if you're a troll, buffed heals for a healer, increased aggro and def for a tank, etc...).

You can check your current role by looking at the upper left icon on the status bar. Everyone starts as a DPS (flame icon), at level 10 you unlock your support role and can switch to it by pressing up on the D-Pad or T on a keyboard. Here are the support role icons:

Oh ok, so if I'm doing a story mission in a group or an alert I should switch to a support role so I can give my group members power?

I beat the main part of the story. Now I'm a member of the justice league. What should I focus on now? My character is level 30. I think my combat rating is 31 right now. should I be focusing on buying that battlesuit armor from batwoman?

Killthee

I beat the main part of the story. Now I'm a member of the justice league. What should I focus on now? My character is level 30. I think my combat rating is 31 right now. should I be focusing on buying that battlesuit armor from batwoman?
Yeah gear is the progression system used once you reach lv 30. I think the Bat suit is Tier 2 so you'll have to get some Tier 1 pieces (Steel, Flash, & Raven) before you can get the T2 pieces.

The easiest way to go about it to join a noob friendly league that is willing to help you gear up. They should be able to carry you into a higher tiered instance so you can earn tons of marks for the armor.

If you lone wolf it you'll have to grind some of the content geared towards your current CR until you have enough marks to buy the T1 suit. I'm not sure how it is on the hero side, but hardly anyone shouts for lower tier content on the villain side so you might have a hard time grinding it by yourself.

You should also give Legends a shot if you're interested in PvP. Gear doesn't matter in Legends so you don't have to worry about gearing up for it, you just have to understand the basics of the combat system.

dubq

Dark Specter Batsuit - very nice. I believe that is T2 PVE armor (haven't played the Hero side in a while so I'm not 100% on the tier).

---

Also, OP note - I changed my characters name from Ultra Magus to Sebastian Bludd. Submitted a new entry for the database, so you can delete Magus whenever you get a chance. :)

Yeah gear is the progression system used once you reach lv 30. I think the Bat suit is Tier 2 so you'll have to get some Tier 1 pieces (Steel, Flash, & Raven) before you can get the T2 pieces.

The easiest way to go about it to join a noob friendly league that is willing to help you gear up. They should be able to carry you into a higher tiered instance so you can earn tons of marks for the armor.

If you lone wolf it you'll have to grind some of the content geared towards your current CR until you have enough marks to buy the T1 suit. I'm not sure how it is on the hero side, but hardly anyone shouts for lower tier content on the villain side so you might have a hard time grinding it by yourself.

You should also give Legends a shot if you're interested in PvP. Gear doesn't matter in Legends so you don't have to worry about gearing up for it, you just have to understand the basics of the combat system.

Oh ok, so I have to go in order for the battle suit armor? T1 then T2 etc...? I'll look around for a league to help me gear up. If I can't find one I'll just go it alone. lol Thanks, again for all the help. Hope I'm not getting annoying with all the questions. lol

Killthee

Oh ok, so I have to go in order for the battle suit armor? T1 then T2 etc...? I'll look around for a league to help me gear up. If I can't find one I'll just go it alone. lol Thanks, again for all the help. Hope I'm not getting annoying with all the questions. lol
Pretty much. Almost all of the lv 30 stuff has lockouts based on your CR. Since you need gear to raise your CR you can't just go and purchase the best gear from the get go. A T2 suit requires a 43 CR, a T3 suit is 53 CR, T4 is 70 CR, T5 is 84 CR, & T5.5 is 95 CR.

You're on PS4 right? Add me to PSN: wquinn - I have a 2.5 Tier hero controller (dubq) that I'd love to get back into (all of my hero friends went villain) and could group with you to make some of the earlier On Duty stuff a bit easier. :)

Pretty much. Almost all of the lv 30 stuff has lockouts based on your CR. Since you need gear to raise your CR you can't just go and purchase the best gear from the get go. A T2 suit requires a 43 CR, a T3 suit is 53 CR, T4 is 70 CR, T5 is 84 CR, & T5.5 is 95 CR.

Also - the Lightning Strikes DLC adds in a Tier 2.5 level with a CR of 62.

Ok, cool. That would help a lot. I'll add you tonight.

Ah ok. Thanks kill for the info.

Angelcurio

Just downloaded it for the PS4, and saw that my old character from the PS3 version, Firecurio, which i stopped playing since i ran out of HDD space on the PS3 more than 1 year ago, is still there at level 23. I don't remember anything about the game mechanics, so threat me as a newbie if you see me wandering. My PSN ID is the same as my user name.

I have been replaying DCUO on PS4 for a little while now after taking a long break from briefly playing on the PS3 years ago but I have been having a lot of fun now, even got myself a 3 month sub for the first time.

I did some research and got to grips of what post level 30 life would be like and since then just been either doing feats for skill points or playing alerts etc for marks of triumph. Annoyingly I have a exploration feat glitched so I cant complete them all and I think one of my investigations is glitched as its missing 1 part even though I have found it (Island of Doctor Morrow).

Up to Tier 2 matches now, slowly working on getting the Jokers Punch line outfit for my DPS character so I can move onto tier 3 but since I only have (nearly) 2 pieces its gonna be a while before I can afford the rest.

Havent tried out any raids yet but I figured I would get some better gear first before doing that, technically I don’t even have enough Dominance for some of the tier 2 matches but I manage fine (as long as my team mates are decent too of course).

Anyone wants to add me and play together some time feel free: Dirtyshubb

Killthee

I have been replaying DCUO on PS4 for a little while now after taking a long break from briefly playing on the PS3 years ago but I have been having a lot of fun now, even got myself a 3 month sub for the first time.

I did some research and got to grips of what post level 30 life would be like and since then just been either doing feats for skill points or playing alerts etc for marks of triumph. Annoyingly I have a exploration feat glitched so I cant complete them all and I think one of my investigations is glitched as its missing 1 part even though I have found it (Island of Doctor Morrow).

Up to Tier 2 matches now, slowly working on getting the Jokers Punch line outfit for my DPS character so I can move onto tier 3 but since I only have (nearly) 2 pieces its gonna be a while before I can afford the rest.

Havent tried out any raids yet but I figured I would get some better gear first before doing that, technically I don’t even have enough Dominance for some of the tier 2 matches but I manage fine (as long as my team mates are decent too of course).

Anyone wants to add me and play together some time feel free: Dirtyshubb
Hit me up if you ever need some one to run anything with you, my character name is Disenchant.

dubq

The Legendary subscription price is back until early Feb, btw. $29 for 3-month subscription plan, on-going. Locking that in again since I lost it last time I stopped playing/cancelled.

I was doing some of the wanted missions the other night, and I got to talking with one of the guys helping me with the mission, and he was saying that the stats don't matter for gear what really matters is the item level number? Is this true?

dubq

I was doing some of the wanted missions the other night, and I got to talking with one of the guys helping me with the mission, and he was saying that the stats don't matter for gear what really matters is the item level number? Is this true?

I guess. It's the item level that contributes to your Combat Rating, I believe. That being said, stats still do matter. If you're a controller who wants to do POT instead of Debuffs, then Vitalization is more important that Dominance.

I guess. It's the item level that contributes to your Combat Rating, I believe. That being said, stats still do matter. If you're a controller who wants to do POT instead of Debuffs, then Vitalization is more important that Dominance.

Really, for the most part stats and CR on gear go hand in hand. You're probably not going to run into gear that has a better CR but worse stats.

dubq

You should think of respeccing your weapon to ranged if you're sticking to controlling. Easier to build your own power from afar (and stay alive) than to be up close with melee. Unless, does martial arts have a ranged mode as well?

You should think of respeccing your weapon to ranged if you're sticking to controlling. Easier to build your own power from afar (and stay alive) than to be up close with melee. Unless, does martial arts have a ranged mode as well?

I can throw shurikens with the triangle button.

Something else I wanted to ask about. I looked up some controller videos on YouTube, and one guy said don't bother putting skill points in the robots that follow you and help you out because they "suck". I was reading the descriptions of robots and they sound like they can help out quite a bit with restoring power etc.. Has anyone here tried them out? Is it worth the skill points?

dubq

Honestly not sure about the robots. Any of the controller guides I've ever read do not recommend them unless you're running your DPS role instead. I'm not sure if the power they pump out is worth it compared to some of the other power choices.

-----

I finally got the Runic Cape mission last night. Looks pretty sweet.. I hope they do more missions like this where you can craft your own armor/weapons.

dubq

Ever since they brought the Gunslinger trench coat back I've been trying to do PVP... good lord, I hate it. 4 marks for a win and 2 for a loss. Gonna be a long grind to 150.

Is there any sort of skill matching when it comes to PVP or do they just slot you against anyone regardless of how much higher their stats/gear are than yours?

Killthee

Ever since they brought the Gunslinger trench coat back I've been trying to do PVP... good lord, I hate it. 4 marks for a win and 2 for a loss. Gonna be a long grind to 150.

Is there any sort of skill matching when it comes to PVP or do they just slot you against anyone regardless of how much higher their stats/gear are than yours?
They added skill matchmaking a while back. The system will pair you up with people who keep losing or people who keep winning depending on how you're doing.

Try doing Legends Lair Battles. They go very quickly and even if you lose you gain 2 marks.

dubq

I think the gameplay is 60fps but the motion comic cutscenes are still 30fps for some reason.

Overall the PS4 looks great compared to the PS3 version, IMO. Textures are much more high-res and there's less pop-in in my experience.

Also, set up two bases next to eachother at Gotham Mercy Hospital. Each base can only have 4 amenities each, so one will eventually have the Broker, Bank, R&D Bench & R&D Vendor and the other has Mail, Respec, Sparring Target & Soder Vendor. Great setup for bit-farming!

BeSC1L_IcAA02A2.jpg:orig

dubq

Did they ever change the game world or is it still covered in Braniac ships/bubbles?

There has been stuff added, but as far as I can tell, all of the original bubbles/ships are still present. The new DLC that is coming is supposed to add some new changes (MOGO in the sky, etc).

I have a question. Since I'm a controller, I read I need to focus on vitalization and dominance. I use martial arts so I put points towards vit and dom for that weapon. I see I have access to other weapons like dual pistols, hand blasters etc... And I see they have vit and Dom options as well. So I was wondering, even though I don't use those other weapons if I max out each weapon's vit and Dom does that count towards my total vit and dom rating or does it only matter what weapon you have equipped?

dubq

I have a question. Since I'm a controller, I read I need to focus on vitalization and dominance. I use martial arts so I put points towards vit and dom for that weapon. I see I have access to other weapons like dual pistols, hand blasters etc... And I see they have vit and Dom options as well. So I was wondering, even though I don't use those other weapons if I max out each weapon's vit and Dom does that count towards my total vit and dom rating or does it only matter what weapon you have equipped?

Counts toward your total.

Go for VIT over DOM if you do a lot of power healing and power over time stuff. Go for DOM over VIT if you want to concentrate more on crowd control like stunning and debuffing. I go more for VIT but still put a good amount into DOM so I can fulfill both roles should the need arise. Of course, now with Armories, I can just spec out a few different kinds of controllers, which is really handy, I must say.

Counts toward your total.

Go for VIT over DOM if you do a lot of power healing and power over time stuff. Go for DOM over VIT if you want to concentrate more on crowd control like stunning and debuffing. I go more for VIT but still put a good amount into DOM so I can fulfill both roles should the need arise. Of course, now with Armories, I can just spec out a few different kinds of controllers, which is really handy, I must say.

Oh ok, so even if I don't use those other weapons I should still spend the skill points for vit and dom on those other weapons? Ok. I was wondering why my vit and dom were so low. Lol thanks for the info and tip!

dubq

Oh ok, so even if I don't use those other weapons I should still spend the skill points for vit and dom on those other weapons? Ok. I was wondering why my vit and dom were so low. Lol thanks for the info and tip!

Most definitely. Skill points are essentially how you keep "levelling" up after you hit the 30 level cap. The more feats you do the more skill points you get and you can boost your stats. :)

Miggytronz

If anyone wants to add me I got two characters I normally play with.

Lvl 30 cr54 fire tank Mikasangelos
Lvl 16 sorcery healer Gerontas

So i have been working on getting better armour and i have now managed to get to CR69, i only have 52 Skill points though which isnt that great but im getting there.

I just need 2 more parts for my Tier 3 set and then thats out of the way :)

I will say one thing i hate though, the airfield duo mission, god what a piece of shit that one is. I just cant stand having to worry about all those damn red lanterns all the time, i end up just flying in, grabbing a bomb and then I'm quickly jumping/running over to the power battery for me to just die once i have set it off., then rinse and repeat at least 2 more times until you can take Vice out.

Other then that im really enjoying myself, except for the nagging feeling of knowing i need to focus on some more feats to get my skill points up, thing is i dont really know what to go for. I have about just over 200 done but the rest are either ones i wont be able to do until im better specced (later Tier missions etc) or they are a real time sink like the styles/briefings etc.

Oh, Killthee, i will add you when i play next, wish you could just add people through PSN but oh well.

dubq

I will say one thing i hate though, the airfield duo mission, god what a piece of shit that one is. I just cant stand having to worry about all those damn red lanterns all the time, i end up just flying in, grabbing a bomb and then I'm quickly jumping/running over to the power battery for me to just die once i have set it off., then rinse and repeat at least 2 more times until you can take Vice out.

I hate this one too. For the reasons above, but also because it seems like EVERY time I do it, I get someone who has no idea what they are doing and just runs in and tries to kill the Reds, even though they just get back up a few seconds later. Drives me batty. I'll just stand on a tower until they figure it out and come to their senses.

Also, speaking of red/rage:

BepPlKHCIAA1B6R.jpg:orig

Top Bottom