• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

ElRenoRaven

Sblargh said:
I think my standard behavior torwards MMO from now on is to wait until they are F2P.

Can't blame you. F2P when done right can save a ton of money like this one and champions. Buy some costumes and archetypes on it you like and bam all you need. This one really just the expansions like the Green Lantern stuff and you're good to go.

Sblargh

Banned
Willy105 said:
Pretty much.

Sucks for The Old Republic though, being such a very big budget game at a time when MMO's are all going to a new business model.

I think they know that going F2P is a very strong possibility; I think it's in the plans.
"We'll launch, if we are lucky, hooray, if not, then we go F2P and take it from there".

This "underestimating server demand" thing is getting pretty old from companies as big as Sony, et al. I could understand with untested properties, untested brands, but Sony... C'mon.

So whats the verdict on this game? Seemed pretty positive when it first came out? But I don't hear about it what so ever anymore? I downloaded it, might try it tonight. I only played about 9 hours of WoW and stopped. I'd like to get into a MMO someday.

Fuck! I cant get past the character creation screen. Its automatically takes me back to the server world choose option. And have to rewatch or skip the intro so I can start creating again. Then repeat! Bah!

TrAcEr_x90 said:
So whats the verdict on this game? Seemed pretty positive when it first came out? But I don't hear about it what so ever anymore? I downloaded it, might try it tonight. I only played about 9 hours of WoW and stopped. I'd like to get into a MMO someday.
I only got to play the tutorial, but I like the combat.

HarryDemeanor said:
Nope, which I'm surprised to see. Games Workshop is probably keeping them from going F2P though.

Yup WAR is not free probably because of licensing issues. That's why they are making a separate warhammer f2p game based on the same engine.

ReaperXL7

probably the best game we will ever get for alot of DC characters, and the Universe as awhole. I stopped playing awhile back because of other responsibilities but i'll probably jump on again soon. Anyone know if characters were deleted after the jump to F2P? I have a bunch of characters in tier gear, and ready to rumble if not.

Hows the F2P model treating the game so far? Lots of issues going on, because if so I may wait alittle while to let them fix up some of the issues.

TrAcEr_x90 said:

Loved the game up to level 30. Once the story driven solo content started to dry up I lost a lot of interest.

Professor Beef said:
I only got to play the tutorial, but I like the combat.

DCU combat has made all other MMO combat stale to me. Really makes me worry about how enjoyable SWTOR combat will be.

BattleMonkey said:
Yup WAR is not free probably because of licensing issues. That's why they are making a separate warhammer f2p game based on the same engine.
I completely forgot they were making a MOBA from it.

Akkad

Banned
ReaperXL07 said:
probably the best game we will ever get for alot of DC characters, and the Universe as awhole. I stopped playing awhile back because of other responsibilities but i'll probably jump on again soon. Anyone know if characters were deleted after the jump to F2P? I have a bunch of characters in tier gear, and ready to rumble if not.

Hows the F2P model treating the game so far? Lots of issues going on, because if so I may wait alittle while to let them fix up some of the issues.

The characters were not deleted, they just added the name of the old servers to the character name for example CharacterName_TKJ (The Killing Joke server).

ReaperXL07 said:
The model they're using is fine. I personally don't like the current cash limits for Free and Premium players. 1500/2000 is low even if cash at the moment is worthless.

Toki767

HarryDemeanor said:
The model they're using is fine. I personally don't like the current cash limits for Free and Premium players. 1500/2000 is low even if cash at the moment is worthless.
The silly part about that is Premium only gets an extra 500. It's one of those why even give extra if you only give that much type deals.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I was gonna try this yesterday, but the download is literally fourteen thousand megabytes.

"Sorry guys"

ReaperXL7

HarryDemeanor said:

No, sorry. I was asking more about the performance related issues. I would expect with it going free to play that it would be a pretty big hurdle for them to overcome for atleast alittle while. They had some issues with server side stuff for awhile after the game released (although I did not get hit by alot of it.), Should have been more clear.

Sblargh

Banned
Story of this game while wasn't F2P was "waiting for SoE to fix stuff", I wouldn't expect this to change soon. That said, it's been some months since I don't play, so stuff may have been fixed, what do I know?
When I left, game had a patch that changed it from "very easy, with one or two challenging stuff" to "shit is impossible, wtf?"

Is it ok to turn off my system, currently downloading but its just going to take way too long right now, dont want to mess anything up.

Ohwiseone

PSN name is:Ohwiseone, will use database whenever this download completes.

Unfortunately, I am using the University internet, and its late.. So I will just turn this on before class tomorrow and maybe it will downloaded by the time i get done with class.

as of this post 13,480 MB to go...

ReaperXL07 said:
No, sorry. I was asking more about the performance related issues. I would expect with it going free to play that it would be a pretty big hurdle for them to overcome for atleast alittle while. They had some issues with server side stuff for awhile after the game released (although I did not get hit by alot of it.), Should have been more clear.
Oh sorry for misreading. Haha. That was my fault, not yours.

They're having big server problems right now with new players trying to log in. It's been going up and down all day. Some lag here and there too while in-game on PC.

MrPliskin

Banned
HarryDemeanor said:
You will resume where you left off when you cancelled it.

Thank GOD. Our good router took a shit, so we've been using an old back up. Estimated time to completion right now is 18 hours. AHHHHHH....no.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
They've updated the post they made earlier today, looks like they're bringing up the servers for some more debug info.

Deadmeat said:
We will be reopening the server soon. Although we do not have a fix yet for this problem we have added additional code to try and catch and diagnose the problem. I apologize in advance if we crash again, but know that the information we get will help to make sure we solve this problem as quickly as possible.

This is starting to feel like a repeat of the US PS3 MegaServer issues. Hopefully this doesn't take weeks to fix like it did last time. : /

xKilltheMx said:
Are the servers for US PS3 back up yet? =\
Seems like it's up right now. Queue is probably something ridiculous though.

Here's a link to the PS3 forums. Usually people will make a new thread there when the server crashes/restarts. There's also the server status page. While usually it's not very up to date, you can get an idea of the server status if you know what to look for. If the time since the last response is more than a couple of minutes the server is probably down. It also loves to report offline servers as low pop instead of down so if its low during the middle of the day it's probably down.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
are teh PC servers down as well?? fuck man I want to play!!!
PC Forums. Looks like they're up at the moment.

KiteGr

Willy105 said:
Pretty much.

Sucks for The Old Republic though, being such a very big budget game at a time when MMO's are all going to a new business model.
IMO
SW:TOR will be a mediocre game as well, but unlike DC univerce, the Bioware and Starwars fans are Hard core and they won't stop playing just because the game is bad.
I don't see SW:tor going f2p. At least not after a year of it's release...
I would love to have a single player version of that game though.

Bradach

Myself and a few friends will be playing for the first time this weekend. In order to party up do we all need to be either villains or heros? Or can we be a mixed group

SLV

Professor Beef said:
Just made a villain on the PvE side for PC, and it's awesome.

US i presume ??? I made 2 characters on EU, PVP on pc, and i still cant log in even now !
UGH, PVE is the same >.<

Dunlop

I was on the USPS3 server (PVE) this morning before work and my connection was flawless. Hopefully everything is still like this tonight

SLV

spk said:
DCUO made the top 10 in Steam Stats

6,361 6,361 DC Universe Online

The funny thing is, DCUO is not even available for me through Steam in my region :D Even if it is supposedly free to play, wouldnt be the first F2P.

I imagine this is all a problem with there megaserver tech. It was implemented with small playerbase and not really tested for 100+k new players.

RPGCrazied

Finally got to play it, and it runs pretty smooth so far. I have it at max settings. Though I'm running it on a 6 core machine @ 3.2, 6gigs of DDR3 and HD Radeon 5770 1gig.

I have to say, I like it more than Champions Online, but it is a letdown on customization. Not a big deal, I like the combat, feels nice and arcadey. I might pay the one time $5 for the extra stuff.

Don't know if this is a spoiler but,
Do you need a group to take down scarecrow? My level 6 Gadgets/Bows can't survive down there.

Measley

Willy105 said:
Pretty much.

I seriously doubt SWTOR is ever going F2P. The game is getting glowing reviews in the beta stage, and its bugs are getting ironed out quickly and efficiently. Games tend to only drift to the F2P model if the game loses too many paying subscribers. I just don't see that happening with SWTOR. Like someone else mentioned, there's enough disenfranchised Wrath babies, KotoR fanboys, Bioware fanboys, and Star Wars fanboys to keep the game going for a long time.

Oh, and then there's this;

Gabe from Penny Arcade regarding his recent hands-on with TOR:

“In the short time I’ve been playing SW:TOR I have already given more thought to my character than I ever did in all the years I played WOW. I’ve had to make hard choices with my Bounty Hunter that have made me honestly think about who he is and what he’s like. At first I intended to play him as a real ***hole but some of the moral quagmires these quests put you in just aren’t that black and white. Do I do what gets me the most credits? Do I stay loyal to the person who gave me the job even it means hurting Innocent people? As a result of all this I have a character that is a hard ass bounty hunter who has a soft spot for people in trouble and children. The only thing I could tell you about my WOW character Dudefella is that he was a mage and a hell of a good dancer.”

F2P is the model if your game fails to live up to expectations and you need to recoup money. EVERY MMO dev wants their game to be like WoW, which generates billions a year for Blizzard through their subscription model.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Bradach said:
Myself and a few friends will be playing for the first time this weekend. In order to party up do we all need to be either villains or heros? Or can we be a mixed group
You need to be the same faction to group up. There's a ton of heroes in the game and most of the content is hero centric causing a huge faction imbalance that I imagine will only get worse with all the F2P people. I would recommend going villain, you'll have an easier time with the PvP queues. They've been hinting that same faction PvP queues are coming, but that might take a while.

Dunlop said:
I was on the USPS3 server (PVE) this morning before work and my connection was flawless. Hopefully everything is still like this tonight
Doubt it. They need to patch the servers to handle the traffic before it'll be stable otherwise it'll keep crashing when it gets hammered.

BattleMonkey said:
I imagine this is all a problem with there megaserver tech. It was implemented with small playerbase and not really tested for 100+k new players.
Yup. They had the same issues when they implemented the US PS3 megaserver and it took them weeks to iron it out.

RPGCrazied said:
Finally got to play it, and it runs pretty smooth so far. I have it at max settings. Though I'm running it on a 6 core machine @ 3.2, 6gigs of DDR3 and HD Radeon 5770 1gig.

I have to say, I like it more than Champions Online, but it is a letdown on customization. Not a big deal, I like the combat, feels nice and arcadey. I might pay the one time $5 for the extra stuff.

Don't know if this is a spoiler but,
Do you need a group to take down scarecrow? My level 6 Gadgets/Bows can't survive down there.
More styles become available to you later on in the game and that makes the customization a tad bit better.

As for the Scarecrow mission, is it the Halloween Event or the Batman mentor starter mission? If its the event you can solo it but not at lv 6. If it's the Batman mission, yeah you're supposed to be able to solo all the lv 1 - 30 mission but I personally prefer grouping up for them because it makes it easier and less dull. Try doing some side mission or race so you can lv up or group up with someone near the entrance who also needs that mission.

RPGCrazied said:
Ok, thanks. Is there anyway to stop the pop-in the game has? It's kinda distracting.

On PS3? No. It was much worse actually at launch really, they did improve the visual smoothness and pop in with updates but doubt it's going anymore.

Top Bottom