• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow |OT| Macho Man Vandal Savage - Thursdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorMane

This is the best episode they've made. It all came together with surprises and (surprising) competence. I don't know how Snart came die and yet still be a character. If they get an earlier Snart, wouldn't that change the future where he sacrificed himself blowing up Oculus? * Also, if they do manage to save Rip's family, then what would drive him to the events of this show?? *

Well, anyway great entertainment and I didn't roll my eyes or shake my head one time. 2 big surprises to me - Snart's selfless decision (right after Mick's selfless decision), but also Mick's boot promise HAW HAW HAW! Can't believe they showed that scene.

* starting to hate time travel stories ...

I'm fairly certain at this point that Rip's family is done for. Time does not want his family alive. At this point, they're just going to go kill Savage not to save the future, but for Snart and the entire journey.

MajorMane

Won't another singularity happen if they stop Vandal now?

The team really hasn't done much to stop Vandal at all. If they kill this version of him (who's going back in time with Kendra), well, all the events that he did would still happen. Conquering the world, killing Rip's family, etc.

But who knows, time travel's weird.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Won't another singularity happen if they stop Vandal now?

Time "We Gotta Explain Shit But It Still Doesn't Make Sense" Force

That promo looks like booty too. And not in the good way. I'm just ready for them to wrap things up and have a nice setup for next season. I do appreciate the writers trying to salvage the season with this episode. I think that I've grown a little tired of this show. It isn't as fun as I expected, and the serious moments almost always fall flat for me. There aren't even any stakes anymore because they just make up something new with time travel to save someone. Carter died. But he reincarnates. Snart was blown up (?) but he's probably floating through the timestream, etc. I'm not expecting "hard sci-fi" or anything like that. It's a comic show about time travel. But they're writing a world where there really aren't any rules at all. They constantly say there are rules, but there aren't.

It becomes boring because there isn't any sense of dangers for the characters, and they're not even coming up with creative methods of getting out of these supposedly tense moments. The ship's computer teleported itself into another system or whatever and came up with the big breakout plan. They couldn't even let the characters have that moment for themselves. Snart is a master thief and Sara is a trained assassin...they're literally the best people in the world for breaking into a place undetected, and they didn't even come up with the breakout plan.

Maybe production was rushed. Even getting Snart to his big sacrifice moment was a bit of a stretch. Ray is the computer guy, so he would be the one to mess around with The Oculus (Hey, Karen Gillan). That's fine. But then you have to make Mick knock Ray out. And then Snart knock Mick out. Snart isn't going to sacrifice himself for Ray, but he would for Mick. Almost like they couldn't come up with a reason for Snart to sacrifice himself, so they put Mick in danger. And they couldn't come up with a reason for Mick to be in danger that would also kill off the oculus, so they put Ray in danger. It's weird when you think about it.

When the show starts off, Savage has already conquered the world.

Yet, the Time Masters let Rip go back in time and manipulate his crew in an effort to . . . allow Savage to conquer the world? They could have just, you know, made sure Rip didn't do anything.

I don't get.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Am I forgetting something, or are the younger versions of all the characters still at that place with that lady?

Wasn't it a big deal like an episode or two ago that if they didn't defeat Vandal Savage right now and then return their younger versions back to the timeline, then the timeline would set with them having never been returned?

Is that still a thing?

What? Of course that's kinda possibly important...

Even though their past selves are still apparently walking around the timeline doing stuff like fixing time ships so there's no reason Nora would be forgetting Milton etc.

Yet, the Time Masters let Rip go back in time and manipulate his crew in an effort to . . . allow Savage to conquer the world? They could have just, you know, made sure Rip didn't do anything.

I don't get.
The Occolus Rift even showed Rip having The Atom blowing up the Occulus successfully. Their mastery of the timeline's suspect.

Joni

I don't get.
Closed time loop? It would only work because he went back in time?

Platy

Snart got thrown into a time stream in a show with an established multiverse. So many ways to bring him back between the four shows.

Mayor Snart of Earth-2
Citizen Cold of Earth-3
Young Snart from a Rogue timeline
Punished Snart: A Fallen Legend

He is DC's Clara Osvald now

ZeroX03

Banned
So if we're thinking Thanagarian invasion in 2175 as the plot for season two, does that influence who we think the mystery hero will be? I'm still rooting for Alan Scott. Guessing S2 will be able the team uniting against Thanagar in absence of Savage.

Also let's all be happy for an excuse to keep the Hawks around, not like this episode was really helped by minimizing their presence...

Joni

So if we're thinking Thanagarian invasion in 2175 as the plot for season two, does that influence who we think the mystery hero will be? I'm still rooting for Alan Scott. Guessing S2 will be able the team uniting against Thanagar in absence of Savage.

Adam Strange?

shingi70

Banned

Also let's all be happy for an excuse to keep the Hawks around, not like this episode was really helped by minimizing their presence...

Wont't be 2175, the timeline being out of sync will probably cause the Thanagarians to attack earth in Modern Day time. It would also make for the perfect crossover episode between the 3(4?) shows.

Joni

Wont't be 2175, the timeline being out of sync will probably cause the Thanagarians to attack earth in Modern Day time. It would also make for the perfect crossover episode between the 3(4?) shows.

Yes, but on one hand it would be strange to see the others ignoring an alien invasion.

DieH@rd

Banned
Great episode, I'm hoping for a great season ending. As for S2, I really hope they will bring Constantine to be a full member of a new crew.

I hope next season we get an episode where Rip talks to the Time Force about his dead family.

Fail Rip, fail.

shingi70

Banned
I know the show is supposed to be getting a soft reboot creatively but i'm pretty sure the time travel aspect will stay at least for a couple episodes.

I remember they were looking for a regular actress to play a character from the 1940s.

Wag

Probably tech-looking wings, like Warhawk from Batman Beyond or the Hawkworld designs.

I get the sense they'll just make them human appearing aliens with no wings or flight powers because it would cause too much confusion with Hawkman/Hawkwoman already on the show.

ZeroX03

Banned
I get the sense they'll just make them human appearing aliens with no wings or flight powers because it would cause too much confusion with Hawkman/Hawkwoman already on the show.

Or the meteor that landed came from Thanagar and hence the Hawk mutation.

Pau

My sister and I got to the episode where Kendra is about to kill Vandal with her bracelet mace and doesn't because of reasons. My sister says she's pretty much done with the show. :p

Carter continues to be the worst. My love for Shayera in JU/JLU means I keep hoping Kendra will become awesome but so far...

Magwik

Banned
My sister and I got to the episode where Kendra is about to kill Vandal with her bracelet mace and doesn't because of reasons. My sister says she's pretty much done with the show. :p

Carter continues to be the worst. My love for Shayera in JU/JLU means I keep hoping Kendra will become awesome but so far...

They sort of retroactively justify everything dumb in the plot

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Or the meteor that landed came from Thanagar and hence the Hawk mutation.

That was my guess too since that meteor hasn't been explained fully yet. Their wings just sorta manifest whenever they fight, so it isn't going to be any more expensive to do more like them.

Skux

Time "We Gotta Explain Shit But It Still Doesn't Make Sense" Force

That promo looks like booty too. And not in the good way. I'm just ready for them to wrap things up and have a nice setup for next season. I do appreciate the writers trying to salvage the season with this episode. I think that I've grown a little tired of this show. It isn't as fun as I expected, and the serious moments almost always fall flat for me. There aren't even any stakes anymore because they just make up something new with time travel to save someone. Carter died. But he reincarnates. Snart was blown up (?) but he's probably floating through the timestream, etc. I'm not expecting "hard sci-fi" or anything like that. It's a comic show about time travel. But they're writing a world where there really aren't any rules at all. They constantly say there are rules, but there aren't.

It becomes boring because there isn't any sense of dangers for the characters, and they're not even coming up with creative methods of getting out of these supposedly tense moments. The ship's computer teleported itself into another system or whatever and came up with the big breakout plan. They couldn't even let the characters have that moment for themselves. Snart is a master thief and Sara is a trained assassin...they're literally the best people in the world for breaking into a place undetected, and they didn't even come up with the breakout plan.

Maybe production was rushed. Even getting Snart to his big sacrifice moment was a bit of a stretch. Ray is the computer guy, so he would be the one to mess around with The Oculus (Hey, Karen Gillan). That's fine. But then you have to make Mick knock Ray out. And then Snart knock Mick out. Snart isn't going to sacrifice himself for Ray, but he would for Mick. Almost like they couldn't come up with a reason for Snart to sacrifice himself, so they put Mick in danger. And they couldn't come up with a reason for Mick to be in danger that would also kill off the oculus, so they put Ray in danger. It's weird when you think about it.

I agree with all of this. I love the superhero team-up concept of the show but framing it around a time travel AND magic reincarnation plot is fraught with so many holes that it degrades the integrity of the show.

Fighting Savage felt like a waste of time in most episodes, because the time travel setup meant our heroes either won completely or the fight ended in a stalemate that would be reset in each time period. Trying to degrade Savage's power throughout history is just too complex to pull off.

The show has had some bright moments though and the framework is all there. I hope they pivot away from time travel plots and do something more linear for season 2. Who knows, season 2 could see a Gotham-like turnaround in quality.

Ricker

If they make Snart come back I hope that incident will fix his speech...so tired of him rolling/streching every 2 words when he is talking ;)

Great episode though,the special effects where pretty awesome for a TV show I thought,gives me hope for Supergirl next season.

brawly

I'm catching up. I love the one-armed Oli Queen but it's dumb that his hair is literally the same just a bit of gray. He should have the goatee/beard all the time though, looks so much better in costume.

The Slade Wilson son casting is spot on too. Something about the way his mouth moves is so Manu Benett.

edit: Episode 9 was legit amazing. I really hate seeing Snart and Rory fight.

ZeroX03

Banned
Their time is now. Season finale tonight!!!

#1.16 "Legendary"
Extended Trailer
THE FINAL BATTLE – After the numerous sacrifices the team has made since the beginning of this ride, Rip (Arthur Darvill) decides that it’s time they each decide their own destiny and returns them to Central City a few months after they first left. Returned to their normal lives, each team member must individually decide if they are willing to sacrifice everything in order to save the world. Meanwhile, Sara (Caity Lotz) visits with her father (guest star Paul Blackthorne) who delivers some heartbreaking news about her sister: that Laurel was never a compelling character. Dermott Downs directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti & Chris Fedak and teleplay by Phil Klemmer & Marc Guggenheim.
b1cbce3dec2dfecfe8a6f4edfef8.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom