• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow |OT| Macho Man Vandal Savage - Thursdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

iosefe

Let's talk about the repercussions of killing savage.

How will time work around the same same being killed 3 times in history? Shouldn't there be a hell of a paradox event now, or was his affect on the timeline actually very minimal?

Mariolee

Let's talk about the repercussions of killing savage.

How will time work around the same same being killed 3 times in history? Shouldn't there be a hell of a paradox event now, or was his affect on the timeline actually very minimal?

Nope, the first two times he reincarnated again. The final time he was killed by Hawkgirl so he's dead dead.

iosefe

Nope, the first two times he reincarnated again. The final time he was killed by Hawkgirl so he's dead dead.

So now the only change is everything after savage kills Rips family, Since the savage they killed had already destroyed shit, they didn't prevent any of that. So original mission failed. But they prevented the destruction of time.

Penguin

They needed to start the entire final run an episode earlier. Have Snart die in episode 14, have them return to their time in 15 and execute the plan in 16.

That was my immediate feeling, it made this episode feel packed, but also felt like things were super glossed over.

Joni

I assume they have restarted time from 2021 going forward, leading to the perfect future where Eobard Thawne lived and where Oliver Queen dies in his 80s.

Cafeman

Good finale! I was impressed at the explanation of the Thanagarian tech = ancient Egypt meteor which gave the 3 their Hawk and reincarnation powers. I recall two unrelated Hawk origins - both Egyptian and Thanagarian (JL animated). Is this the first attempt to reconcile both?

I'm still not sure how they will invent an explanation of how Snart can come back. It seemed they visited him in that bar in an earlier time than the events of this series which lead to his sacrifice. So in 2016, he's dead.

Didn't understand how Kendra's helmet note worked. Its the exact same helmet that Rip had on one of his shelves? Oh, never mind. Just a time travel show after all.

Surprised at Hourman's appearance (I've heard of Hourman but had to google to realize who that was) and the JSA mention. Is next season starting in fall, or January again?

Good finale! I was impressed at the explanation of the Thanagarian tech = ancient Egypt meteor which gave the 3 their Hawk and reincarnation powers. I recall two unrelated Hawk origins - both Egyptian and Thanagarian (JL animated). Is this the first attempt to reconcile both?

Not the first, but its considerably less messy than previous attempts.

Xenoboy

Transmutation, Triple Savage Beatdown, JSA, Heatwave saying goodbye to Cold, Sara doing good stuff, what more could you ask for? The begining was a bit unnecessary, otherwise I really liked this finale.
I hope Flash delivers next week.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Didn't understand how Kendra's helmet note worked. Its the exact same helmet that Rip had on one of his shelves? Oh, never mind. Just a time travel show after all.
That seemed to be the dumb part. It had the same rank thingie on it, so it had to be the same helmet? Or was there something else that would have made it obvious to her that this specific helmet was the one that would have been the one Rip had.

Then again, if the Time Masters needed Savage to exist because he beats off the alien invasion, does the fact that Rip still exists after killing Savage means that humanity was able to beat them off without Savage after all? Time travel is dumb. lol

ZeroX03

Banned
Wait wasn't there in the previews a scene where the Flash was taking out Savage goons in a warehouse or something? Did we not get that scene at all???

That trailer was a presentation made for the network as an example of the show and later repurposed into a show preview, it was never part of the final footage of the show.

Penguin

Okay let's put our minds together

Who is a villain from the DC canon that is bigger than Savage and Ra's, but not too big that they would "Reserve" them for the big boy movie teamups?

Like imagine Darkseid is off the table

shingi70

Banned
I'm wondering how you reconcile thw JSA existing when GA should be the first superhero. Maybe do it how smallville did with the government expunging them from the history books.

Joni

I'm wondering how you reconcile thw JSA existing when GA should be the first superhero. Maybe do it how smallville did with the government expunging them from the history books.

People like Wildcat and Jonah Hex too small for the history books? And he seems to be coming from the future, so Oliver probably leads to Justice Society.

Skux

Time for a season review!

1 - Pilot part 1 - 4/5 stars
Fun pilot, some rushed exposition but understandable considering the set ups were all done in previous Flash/Arrow episodes.

2 - Pilot part 2 - 5/5
Best intro. Really nailed the superhero team-up concept with its two big set pieces and interesting character pairings. Carter's death brought some stakes to the game.

3 - Blood Ties - 3/5
This is when some of the plot holes started pulling down the show, and it's also when I was still concerned about the plot making sense lol. Savage making immortal henchmen was a great plot idea but never came to anything.

4 - White Knights - 3/5
Worth it just to watch Captain Cold swag all over Stephanie Corneliussen. A good episode too.

5 - Fail-Safe - 3/5
A satisfying conclusion to the two-parter in 1986. Chronos starts to lose his appeal as he only seems to show up to make our heroes run away or crash land somewhere.

6 - Star City 2046 - 2/5
The first episode to leave me unsatisfied. Squandered a great opportunity to show an interesting alternate future Star City. The plot was rushed and inconsequential.

7 - Marooned - 3/5
Heat Wave cements his status as the best LoT character. His final "death" scene was surprisingly emotional.

8 - Night of the Hawk - 3/5
Good on the episode to not shy away from the social issues of the time. This is also when Ray/Kendra starts in earnest and will annoy me until episode 14.

9 - Left Behind - 4/5
The Chronos reveal and final third make this one of the best LoT episodes. My only regret is that we didn't get to see Mick play the bad guy for longer.

10 - Progeny - 2/5
Nothing really memorable. A lot of world building and Per Degaton stuff that had no bearing on the timeline.

11 - The Magnificent Eight - 1/5
Another squandered side episode with not nearly enough Jonah Hex, instead the episode wasted time on the dismal Kendra/Ray/Carter love triangle. The Hunters looked like xtreme sports rejects and had no menace or impact.

12 - Last Refuge - 3/5
The Pilgrim was a really cool villain, but knowing that she'd never succeed in killing the past self of any of the characters took away the tension.

13 - Leviathan - 3/5
Finally the Savage plotline gets moving, and gives us giant robots and magic maces. Kendra continues to be completely ineffective in actually killing Savage, and Carter simply isn't developed or likeable enough to make saving him a sensible decision. I've fallen for Jessica Sipos and her liquid gold voice.

14 - River of Time - 4/5
Leaving Savage alive turns out to be the best thing for the show, as he gets to play puppet master and manipulate all of the characters from his cell.

15 - Destiny - 5/5
The Time Master meddling comes to a head in an action-packed episode with a strong theme. We finally get a glimpse of Snart/Sara, the couple we really wanted, before Snart takes one for the team.

16 - Legendary - 4/5
A strong finish, the show jettisons its weakest elements and delivers the promise of greater things to come.

Now that I think about it, most of the episodes were average to good. It was only really the Ray/Kendra stuff that dragged them down, and the DC cameo episodes like future Ollie and Jonah Hex were too crammed to let their characters shine.

The show looks to be headed in the right direction. The introduction of the JSA is a huge boon. Give us a compelling villain from the start, and romantic couples with actual chemistry (the glimpses of Snart/Sara were infinitely more fun than the dreary flip-flopping of Ray/Kendra) and this show could witness a Gotham-level upswing in quality for season 2.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Who is a villain from the DC canon that is bigger than Savage and Ra's, but not too big that they would "Reserve" them for the big boy movie teamups?

I don't think the movies will ever get to the Anti-Monitor, nor could they do a satisfying payoff with a storyline with him (universes being merged, etc.).

It'd even be a great way to get Supergirl into the universe, but I'm not sure they'd want to have one show be totally reliant on the other.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
So just to recap

Darhk wants to destroy the Earth.
Zoom wants to conquer all Earths.
Savage wants to remake all time.

Savage wins this one.

Edit: Dammit Static!

Even so, Zoom will still be busy winning.

QNnoLrz.gif

Ithil

Hawkbores: "Actually we're not coming with you"

1425677998585dwu7p.gif

Very rushed feeling finale, seemed like two episodes crammed into one. Their "timey wimey" explanations are starting to drop to Doctor Who levels, only without the camp factor that allows that show to get away with it.
However, they have ended the Savage/Hawks story, thank fuck, and look to be aiming for a fresh start next season. The first season was certainly very ambitious but also very uneven, mainly owing to the central story not really ever clicking. Luckily they seem to have realised this and jettisoned the weakest parts of the show.

Some promising teases for a semi-rebooted season 2 with the JSA, so roll on.

Penguin

So should someone start working on a DC TV off season thread since the other three shows end next week?

Oh thought we would just use the one in Community and bump that

Someone is more than welcome to make a new one though.

Also, The Flash/Barry never did end up appearing during this season did he?

The Light

Kinda weird how the hawks were essentially written out. Could've at least tried something else instead of romance only then hanging them when it didn't work out

Maybe Mongul?

Magwik

Banned
Oh thought we would just use the one in Community and bump that

Someone is more than welcome to make a new one though.

Also, The Flash/Barry never did end up appearing during this season did he?

Ah I forgot about the old one. That's probably a better idea.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Audibly cheered when Carter & Kendra said they weren't coming along.

JSA reveal! Really excited for season two

morningbus

So, Snart's out for good it seems.

No, he's not. He has a deal with the production company of all the Arrowverse shows now and will be appearing on at least the Flash and Legends.

He won't be a series regular, but I'd expect him in multiple episodes.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Was really surprised that they are also sticking with it. I wonder if they just didn't like Ciara.

Both horrible actors.

Show is hardly blessed with talent, but they stand out as the worst.

I'll miss Savage, his actor was very talented

Joni

No, he's not. He has a deal with the production company of all the Arrowverse shows now and will be appearing in at least the Flash and Legends.

He won't be a series regular, but I'd expect him in multiple episodes.

He has to come back for Sara. We need more of their interactions.

morningbus

How anyone would want to break up the one true ship, Ray and Mick, I have no idea.

But I won't fucking stand for it.

Atomwave/Rick for fucking life. Time to make a god-damn Tumblr.

Tabby

Both horrible actors.

Show is hardly blessed with talent, but they stand out as the worst.

I'll miss Savage, his actor was very talented

I don't mind their acting. It's just them getting overshadowed by far more interesting and better written characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom