• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow |OT| Macho Man Vandal Savage - Thursdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberz1

Enjoyed the first episode. Definitely rushed and incomplete, but that makes sense given it's only half the pilot.

It's also clear already that Captain Cold and Heatwave are going to run away with this show.

For sure. I hope we get an entire episode dedicated to a time-heist

Maximo

DPLHiXo.gif

Fucking perfect.

Ashhong

I think Caity is doing most of her own stunts in this, which is nice. It always helps when they don't have to cut away from Amell's face on Arrow because he's actually doing the fighting.

It won't be Booster, let's be honest.

I'm not sure which I prefer. Amell seems to fight in slow motion

After this I'm convinced the CW is incapable of making a decent superhero show. Arthur Darvill is good, but can't carry the poor writing that defines the CW.

I'll try to finish it later but the first twenty minutes were awful and I tried before with Arrow giving it like 6 episodes.

ZeroX03

Banned
After this I'm convinced the CW is incapable of making a decent superhero show. Arthur Darvill is good, but can't carry the poor writing that defines the CW.

I'll try to finish it later but the first twenty minutes were awful and I tried before with Arrow giving it like 6 episodes.

animation1wmuee.gif

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

tumblr_n70fyqRUSs1r5oppeo2_1280.gif

Skux

6c5fe052947b83655a453733c15cba04.gif

ZeroX03

Banned
Could be Future Booster, perhaps?

Future Booster having Rip train Young Booster would be great to see on screen.

I think Booster is one of DC's off limits characters, but it's hard to say because their embargoes are very silly and all over the show. One minute Booster is getting a TV show, next he's getting a buddy movie with Beetle.

Come on, I get it. You guys like comic book shows. But why do you like it? The continuity with the comics? I mean there's too much good Television out there to settle for just mediocre acting and writing. Shows like Daredevil and Jessica jones have been pretty good. Hell I can even stomach Marvel agents of shield after the first season (First season was pretty bad). But my god its head and shoulders above the writing and acting on the CW shows. Why can't they invest in slightly better writers. Do they only care about fights and spectacle? How much do I need to watch for these shows to work out the kinks?

tumblr_nbulrdozMD1qmgmtbo1_500.gif

ZeroX03

Banned
Come on, I get it. You guys like comic book shows. But why do you like it? The continuity with the comics? I mean there's too much good Television out there to settle for just mediocre acting and writing. Shows like Daredevil and Jessica jones have been pretty good. Hell I can even stomach Marvel agents of shield after the first season (First season was pretty bad). But my god its head and shoulders above the writing and acting on the CW shows. Why can't they invest in slightly better writers. Do they only care about fights and spectacle? How much do I need to watch for these shows to work out the kinks?

When any other comic book TV show out there does anything anywhere near as emotionally affecting as the Flash S1 finale, give me a buzz. If you think that's mediocre acting and writing I don't know what to do with you.

It sounds like you've barely watched any of the CW shows past the first few episodes - which are traditionally bad in any genre - in long season shows that have to stretch things out so much longer than the Netflix shows. It's apples and oranges. How many 20+ episode shows maintain quality throughout? Very few dramas.

When any other comic book TV show out there does anything anywhere near as emotionally affecting as the Flash S1 finale, give me a buzz. If you think that's mediocre acting and writing I don't know what to do with you.

I have only watched two episodes of the flash. So I can't really say. If a show can't show me it has strong writing and at least decent acting in the first couple episodes I pass. Pilots are supposed to hook you. I never felt that way about any of these shows.

ZeroX03

Banned
I have only watched two episodes of the flash. So I can't really say. If a show can't show me it has strong writing and at least decent acting in the first couple episodes I pass. Pilots are supposed to be really strong. I never felt that way about any of these shows.

Pilots are traditionally awful. First seasons are usually not great. Shows have accelerated in how they deliver plot so usually they stabilize mid first season (as Arrow did around ep 13), but your expectations are a little out of line with traditional TV. And by almost all accounts Flash had a very good pilot.

Netflix is a totally different beast and not a very good 1:1 comparison.

Episode 14 of Arrow was the moment it went from middling to fucking balls-out amazing. And then it stayed there for a solid two seasons. Season 3 Part 2 was weak, but 4's a good turnaround. The second half of Season 1, Season 2, and the first half of Season 3 are stellar as fuck.

Pilots are traditionally awful. First seasons are usually not great. Shows have accelerated in how they deliver plot so usually they stabilize mid first season (as Arrow did around ep 13), but your expectations are a little out of line with traditional TV. And by almost all accounts Flash had a very good pilot.

Netflix is a totally different beast and not a very good 1:1 comparison.

Fair enough, I'm probably being hyper critical. It's just there's too much to choose from nowadays. Just being in a genre that I like somewhat doesn't make it immune to the same criticism I would give other shows outside the genre. Flash was by far the best of the CW shows I watched. But maybe they just aren't for me and leave it at that.

Episode 14 of Arrow was the moment it went from middling to fucking balls-out amazing. And then it stayed there for a solid two seasons. Season 3 Part 2 was weak, but 4's a good turnaround. The second half of Season 1, Season 2, and the first half of Season 3 are stellar as fuck.

Ok I'll start there. What do you guys think of this show. Should I finish the pilot or just wait?

ZeroX03

Banned

Although I agree it's easily the big step up, I think episode 9 shouldn't be missed. It's the first episode where there's one hell of a threat.

I'm bad at calling these things though, I don't really believe in skipping episodes. Except Smallville. There's stretches of that show where literally nothing happens. You could easily cut that show down to 50 core episodes and it'd be much better.

Fair enough, I'm probably being hyper critical. It's just there's too much to choose from nowadays. Just being in a genre that I like somewhat doesn't make it immune to the same criticism I would give other shows outside the genre. Flash was by far the best of the CW shows I watched. But maybe they just aren't for me and leave it at that.

It's true there's a lot of choice these days. Network shows are like a rollercoaster ride. You have to spend a while traveling up the tracks before you get to go flying down into fun.

Nabs

I personally liked the entirety of Arrow S1. 14 does suck you in, but lots of that is thanks to the build up.

wildfire

Banned
If you believe that the Time Masters are right, sure. But I believe he is meant to be bad.

He murdered two bystanders for no reason. I mean literally no reason, they didn't even record what they saw, no one is gonna believe what they said.

It was meant to show the audience he is a bad guy.

I sort of disagree. I think they were hammering in that above all his mission is to preserve the timeline. Any possible chances to subvert the timeline should be eradicated and everything else preserved.

We'll learn more about his motivations when he finally does encounter a scenario where someone of great significance knows too much for their time period.

I never understood the idea of skipping episodes, if you're not enjoying the show then don't watch it a lot of what make these shows great moments great is the build up and you wont get that if you're only invested in the money shot.

Joni

You gave SHIELD an entire season to grow, and that show is at it best below Arrow and Flash. Their actors are worse, their villains are terrible, their writing is worse, their effects are worse and it is plain old boring.

You gave SHIELD an entire season to grow, and that show is at it best below Arrow and Flash. Their actors are worse, their villains are terrible, their writing is worse, their effects are worse and it is plain old boring.

I didnt give shield an entire season. I stopped watching after 3 episodes and was convinced to watch again second season by a friend. Their actors and writers are most definitely not worse. It's unbearable how tropey and cliche they both are. But what I've seen of CW shows its been far worse.

Joni

I didnt give shield an entire season. I stopped watching after 3 episodes and was convinced to watch again second season by a friend. Their actors and writers are most definitely not worse. It's unbearable how tropey and cliche they both are. But what I've seen of CW shows its been far worse.

Coulson and May are black holes. They suck up every scene. There is no one that does that on Flash or Arrow.

I'm pretty sure Heatwave had more lines in the pilot of LoT than in his entire run on the Flash.

Very true, LoT is really a chance to make room for everyone.

Faenix1

IMO, anyone that hasn't seen the back half of Season 1 - or Season 2 - of Arrow shouldn't voice their opinions on the show.

ZeroX03

Banned

Nobody on Shield is topping Jesse Martin, Tom Cavanagh or Grant Gustin's acting. Again you'd actually need to watch more than a few early episodes.

Coulson and May are black holes. They suck up every scene. There is no one that does that on Flash or Arrow.

Very true, LoT is really a chance to make room for everyone.

That I will agree with you on. Colson and May are just flat as can be. Buy the character dynamics between the rest of the cast somewhat make up for it. Like I said though it's only just good enough for me. It's kind of a bottom line.

Oliver sister, his ex girlfriend and his acting in the first couple episodes were enough to turn me off. Oliver is just as bad as Coulson to me.

JJ and DD and AoS/AC for that matter, have different goals from the CW comic shows, especially JJ and DD which are both dark, serious dramas that happen to be based on comic characters in the MCU. You have to keep expectations in check with these shows and expect the general CW trappings that IMO hurt both Arrow and Flash that come with it.

If I can have fun watching it I can forgive some shoddy writing and acting in these shows because I have set expectations for them, the Flash, Arrow or LoT aren't close to being the best written or acted shows on the CW, let alone all of TV and that's fine for what they are and what they're meant to be. If it's a show that's meant to be a serious drama (something not meant to be taken as fun or escapism) then the writing/acting take precedence. DD and JJ aren't without their own problems (in JJ's case somewhat major) but it's not really a fair comparison to make given the different formats with DD and JJ basically being 13 hour long movies which works to their benefit and also their detriment in various areas.

I had two long paragraphs written out but decided to reduce the amount of talk about other shows, all the complaints and everything with DareDevil and Jessica Jones can be found in their OTs, I'm pretty sure they've been repeated there just as much as The Flash and Arrow complaints have been repeated in their own OTs.

I can't understate enough how tired I am of the term "trope" because it's almost always used as a negative as if "tropes" are universally a bad thing.

Joni

That I will agree with you on. Colson and May are just flat as can be. Buy the character dynamics between the rest of the cast somewhat make up for it. Like I said though it's only just good enough for me. It's kind of a bottom line.

Oliver sister, his ex girlfriend and his acting in the first couple episodes were enough to turn me off. Oliver is just as bad as Coulson to me.
Oliver is playing at least four different characters with their own personality, and behavior. And he keeps them quite consistent during their evolution.

Klyka

Banned
The entire first episode was a fun romp with characters doing fun things and being fun.

I think this show wants to be exactly that.

I also think that Heatwave's acting is totally fine. I mean,his line delivery has actually been on fucking point like the "I just like killing people" at the end and his look he gave to Captain Cold in the bar was so good, we already have a gif of it.

Skux

A lot of good points here on how why I enjoy these shows so I'll keep mine short.

- Shit doesn't always have to make sense if it allows for cool things to happen. The idea of being a super fast hero or a time travelling spaceship captain is much more important than the logistics of it. I don't like The Flash in spite of its willingness to play fast and loose with reality, I like it precisely because of it.

- Comic book shows rely heavily on tropes, and that's not a bad thing. Even superpowers themselves hearken back to the classical elements and mythological demigods. Everything about them (secret identities, themed costumes, rogues galleries, love interests, hidden lairs, origin stories) has been codified and developed into its own language, just like any other genre. They aren't clichés, they're just the rules of the universes these stories take place in.

- It's fantasy. It's fantastical, and I love the fantastical. Yes there are probably shows with better acting and dialogue and storytelling. But they don't have giant telepathic gorillas being punched into interdimensional portals, do they?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Tbh the writing isn't great in Arrow, neither's the acting.

I only watch because I like comics and I like Green Arrow.

The Hermit

Ok I'll start there. What do you guys think of this show. Should I finish the pilot or just wait?

Dude, let me tell you my story.

I begun watching Agents of Shields only because of its tie ins with the movies and ended up enjoying Season 1 especially the final episodes. After that I needed another super hero show bad!

Gaf keep mentioning Arrow and Flash, but I never gave a damn about those characters or DC (except Batman of course)

I tried Flash first, thinking it was something like AoS. Found it too campy/lame/nerdy, barelly finished the pilot.
Tried Arrow and liked it because it felt like Batman but without that stupid no kill rule.

I end up adoring Arrow 1 and 2, despite some weak characters (coughlaurelcough). But one time or other there were some crossover with the Flash and decided to give it another go, with a more open mind.

The Flash is now easilly one of my favorite shows of all time.
I had friends thanking me last week because I insisted for them to watch it.

I always though Agents of Shield was the real/serious superhero show, but The Flash is just too damn fun.

Try it, really. Thank me later.

Apt101

I watched the pilot.
They screwed up by not making Chronos more threatening. He was just some guy with a laser rifle and some grenades, basically, and he forced the entire team to flee.
If they can't collectively handle that what good are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom