• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow |OT| Macho Man Vandal Savage - Thursdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently there is no in between anymore. Not everything has to blow people away. The pilot for The Flash was pretty mediocre, and this is a 2 part pilot.

But I didn't say that at all. I just think there weren't "Moments of greatness" in the pilot so far, which is what anaron implied. There were somewhat good moments though, of course.

edit what a post for a new page -.- Don't hate me

Magwik

Banned
But I didn't say that at all. I just think there weren't "Moments of greatness" in the pilot so far, which is what anaron implied. There were somewhat good moments though, of course.

edit what a post for a new page -.- Don't hate me

I have no idea how I misread the post you quoted. Oops.

I enjoyed it, but I really don't like the Hawks. Please, kill them off or make sure they are relegated to the background as they only drag things down and make scene they are in unbearable.

It doesn't help that the actors don't have any chemistry either.

RANKING THE LEGENDS: EPISODE 1x01 EDITION

S Tier
-White Canary
-Captain Cold

A Tier
-Rip Hunter
-Atom
-Heat Wave

B Tier
-Young Firestorm
-Hawkgirl

C Tier
-Old Firestorm
-Hawkman

Kevin

I found the premiere to be a shit ton of fun. Absolutely loved it. Perfect? No but there is a LOT to establish in the first episode. I would say wait a few episodes to see how the show begins to form. This could be an epic show.

Also the budget... it looks like a freakin movie. Most cable shows don't look this good. Funny that this is on the CW but in all honesty I feel like the CW has the best line up of shows these days.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You're all gonna look foolish when you find out Boston Brand has been on the team this whole time.

TDLink

I do think the show has a few too many characters, and the Hawk people are probably it. 9 main characters is kind of hard to manage and treat fairly. We'll see how it goes though. White Canary I also find less interesting than the rest but I enjoyed her interaction with the Rogues so there could be something there that I don't want to just write off (plus the team does need some girls).

AMUSIX

I liked it. Yeah, the pacing was rushed, mostly because they wanted to establish motive, put together the team, AND have an adventure all in one episode. And, yeah, some of the acting was just flat-out bad, along with some really corny/cheezy lines, but I've grown to accept that from these CW shows...but if you're already invested in these characters through Arrow and Flash, then this isn't bad. There's no way in hell I'd suggest it to anyone else, though.

The Hawks were easily the weakest. It won't happen, because they've already established that the Hawks have to be the ones to kill Savage, but I wish at least one would die.

The 8-on-1 fight was horribly done. They needed to show why Chronos was a threat...not just "he shoots people". He should have been shown with answers and counters to their assault...shields and power and such. But, no, he's a guy with a gun that 8 supers ran from.

Sara is superior in every way to Laurel. The acting, the ability to sell a punch, the look...it always felt like a major downgrade on Arrow, and this just confirmed it.

The Firestorm duo didn't bring much, but at least they feel like they might.

And, yes, Cold and Heatwave were the stars.

Coulson and May are black holes. They suck up every scene. There is no one that does that on Flash or Arrow.
Amell

carlsojo

S Tier
-White Canary
-Captain Cold

A Tier
-Rip Hunter
-Atom
-Heat Wave

B Tier
-Young Firestorm
-Hawkgirl

C Tier
-Old Firestorm
-Hawkman

Nah man Renegade Stein is the best. He's probably going to shoot someone by the end of the season and end up having a higher bodycount than Heatwave.

And Heatwave should be S tier!

S Tier
-White Canary
-Captain Cold
-Heatwave

A Tier
-Old Firestorm
-Atom

B Tier
-Young Firestorm
-Hawkgirl

C Tier
-Rip Hunter
-Hawkman

My take on the current rankings. Can we make this a thing after every episode?

S Tier

-Captain Cold
-Heatwave

A Tier
-White Canary
-Atom

B Tier
-Rip Hunter
-Old Firestorm

C Tier
-Young Firestorm
-Hawkgirl

F Tier
-Hawkman

JCX

Really enjoyed the pilot, was just fun to watch. Glad the real reason they were picked was mentioned, makes more sense.

I am MORE than happy to do rankings for characters!!!

S Tier
- Captain Cold
- Heatwave

A Tier
- Atom
- White Canary

B Tier
- Firestorm (Stein)
- Firestorm (Jackson)

C Tier
- Hawkgirl

F Tier
- Rip Hunter
- Hawkman

Joni

I didn't know how much I wanted
Heat Wave
vs.
Darhk
until I saw it.

Atom
and
Cold
"hanging out" should be a blast too.
This show will hopefully give is us a lot of those combo because I 100% agree.
If this is the only reason the show exists, I need a second season

Jonogunn

Also the budget... it looks like a freakin movie. Most cable shows don't look this good. Funny that this is on the CW but in all honesty I feel like the CW has the best line up of shows these days.

Can they even sustain this level of quality for many seasons? It seems to require like twice the budget or more than arrow and the flash

Klyka

Banned
Can they even sustain this level of quality for many seasons? It seems to require like twice the budget or more than arrow and the flash

They do have a shorter season and I can see them doing some cheaper "filler" episodes, focused more on the less "super" members of the team.

Joni

They will be able to reuse effects, they seem to be using regular filters, so there are ways to save money. Especially if they if use a lot of common settings. But yes, this looks like it could be a movie. I wish warner would do smaller movies like that

ZeroX03

Banned

There was actually a lot of smart budget conscious moves in the pilot. Lots of reused or doubled up locations from past Arrow and Flash episodes if you've got a keen eye. Action sequences kept short and sweet. Things like the 70s were kept tightly framed so as to limit set building.

We'll be seeing a lot of exposition on the Waverider I bet, as it's their established set. Future episodes won't have to give each character multiple scenes on their own too. And if they knock out time travel in future seasons that'll cut down on a lot of set building expenses.

They also save money by having Rip Hunter use a R.A.T. 5 mouse to control the Waverider instead of a Pro X.

There was actually a lot of smart budget conscious moves in the pilot. Lots of reused or doubled up locations from past Arrow and Flash episodes if you've got a keen eye. Action sequences kept short and sweet. Things like the 70s were kept tightly framed so as to limit set building.

We'll be seeing a lot of exposition on the Waverider I bet, as it's their established set. Future episodes won't have to give each character multiple scenes on their own too. And if they knock out time travel in future seasons that'll cut down on a lot of set building expenses.

They also save money by having Rip Hunter use a R.A.T. 5 mouse to control the Waverider instead of a Pro X.

DPyUqnV.gif

DeathyBoy

Banned

Shit, they can even just go the whole 'we have twelve problems in the 1970s to solve, but it'll just be me - Rip Hunter, from England - and two of you. Also, Hawkman and Hawkgirl have left to go to Thanagar... and died on their way back there... so there'll be no flying this year. Everyone okay with that?'

Heatwave loves the 70s.

Just saw the pilot!

I dont get the negative press! I thought it was delightfully fun and nuanced despite the fast pace!

This show resonated just as well as Flash and Arrow to me

No spoilers. I haven't watched the pilot yet. I don't have a lot of time. I love Flash and Arrow I'm already deeply invested in. Does Legends deserve a place at the table?

ZeroX03

Banned
No spoilers. I haven't watched the pilot yet. I don't have a lot of time. I love Flash and Arrow I'm already deeply invested in. Does Legends deserve a place at the table?

Yes, watch it. Especially if you love the seventies and Randall Savage.

I'd give the episode a C+.

The Good:
Rip Hunter
His time ship
The production values
Captain Cold

The Bad:
Jackson's whining
Heatwave is a clown

The Ugly:
Hawkgirl's single facial expression(confused boredom?)
The clumsy exposition

I'll give it a few more episodes, but I wasn't super impressed.

Laieon

I'm sure this has already been asked, but I know nothing about comics. Do I need to watch The Flash and Arrow to understand what's going on in this?

Joni

I'm sure this has already been asked, but I know nothing about comics. Do I need to watch The Flash and Arrow to understand what's going on in this?

You'll get more enjoyment from the show if you know the others, but it quickly introduces them again so it should be fine. I'm also following without comic knowledge, that is no problem.

Magwik

Banned
The show does a decent job at establishing the characters on their own, you don't need to watch Flash and Arrow at all aside from maybe the crossover special of this year to give some more backstory to Vandal Savage and the Hawks.

ZeroX03

Banned

Honestly I probably wouldn't watch this week to week if I wasn't familiar with Flash and Arrow. It throws everything at you with only the most cursory of explanations at a breakneck pace. Having seen at least a bit of Flash or Arrow would really help, probably Flash more than Arrow.

Comic knowledge isn't necessary for any of the shows.

Joni

Honestly I probably wouldn't watch this week to week if I wasn't familiar with Flash and Arrow. It throws everything at you with only the most cursory of explanations at a breakneck pace. Having seen at least a bit of Flash or Arrow would really help, probably Flash more than Arrow.

Comic knowledge isn't necessary for any of the shows.

The Arrow characters have a bit more backstory to learn with Sara and Ray compared to the Firestorms and the Rogues.

kmfdmpig

S Tier
- Atom
- Firestorm (Stein)

A Tier
- Captain Cold
- White Canary

B Tier
- Hawkgirl
- Firestorm (Jackson)

C Tier
- Rip Hunter
- Heatwave

F Tier
- Hawkman

ZeroX03

Banned
The Arrow characters have a bit more backstory to learn with Sara and Ray compared to the Firestorms and the Rogues.

Yeah but Ray also guested on Flash, so the only character you wouldn't know going into Legends would be Sara (and she's mentioned on Flash). Flash establishes the tone of the universe - at least closer to Legends than Arrow - and has far fewer episodes to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom