• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

kassatsu said:
Stop playing FF13 and join a game with me and we can see lol
you're lucky i saw this thread before i immersed myself in the world of FFXIII :lol

EDIT: how the fuck is canadia still beating UK? :lol

EDIT: Do i wait for invite or is there a way to join? :lol

kassatsu

Banned
DMPrince said:
you're lucky i saw this thread before i immersed myself in the world of FFXIII :lol

EDIT: how the fuck is canadia still beating UK? :lol

EDIT: Do i wait for invite or is there a way to join? :lol
sent doesn't look like they added voice chat

1 coop mission i unlocked 5 trophies :lol. thanks kass (Yeah. I didn't play until now. was waiting for my brother to do some coop campaign)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
20101203-1ye47e17kprcw4m6763wg6qi48.jpg

Guess that clears it up.

jmd494

Snuggler said:
agree with your issues, cept this one can be fixed:

I mapped reload to square and it works perfectly. Kept everything else the same and it feels just right.
Haha I did EXACTLY the same thing!

teekun

MMaRsu said:
Sure but basic stuff like this should have been in the game from the start. It's 2010 people, not 1998.

Online co-op was a last-minute addition that they busted their asses on to finish in time for release. I'll forgive them for this, considering the original plan was for local-only co-op.

This game is the best $12 I've spent in a long time. It makes me feel sorrowful for buying Burn Zombie Burn even though I got it for half price. I never played more than half hour of that game... Dead Nation puts it to shame in so many ways.

P.S. I wish I knew how the heck the Virus Cycle worked. It's nice to see Canada holding it's own even with it's vastly smaller population of players.

P.S. I was surprised at the lack of audio options I expected pretty much the same kind of features that are in stardust... such as ability to use DTS and alternate sound tracks.

I've mapped reload to R2 and melee to R3.

The one thing bringing this game down for me is the lack of checkpoint saving. As a father of a ten month old, I'd like the ability to stop mid-(long ass)-level... especailly if I'm dying and want to put it down for a bit to retry later.

Virro

ScrabbleBanshee said:
It's nice to see Canada holding it's own even with it's vastly smaller population of players.

I think it considers the real population of each country when calculating the virus completion percentage, which is why Canada, etc. are vastly behind in total zombies killed but only marginally behind by percentage.

Mako_Drug

ScrabbleBanshee said:
P.S. I wish I knew how the heck the Virus Cycle worked. It's nice to see Canada holding it's own even with it's vastly smaller population of players.

My guess is that once a country reaches 100% it resets to 0% and you enter the next virus cycle. On the global status screen it has a 1 next the the percentage for each country so...yeah.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
\I'm stuck on the hospital level. I must be near the end, I'm on the roof where the fires are. The next area is up a ramp, but it's blocked off by 4 beacons with flashing red lights. I've searched the area again and again, but I can't find any way to move forward. This I just get majorly fucked by a glitch?

this sucks

update: Nevermind. I stood in fire until I died and gave it another shot. Seems that it was a barricade that wouldn't open until all zombies were clear, but there were to zombies to be found. Oh well, level complete.

Virro said:
I think it considers the real population of each country when calculating the virus completion percentage, which is why Canada, etc. are vastly behind in total zombies killed but only marginally behind by percentage.

I thought the same at first, but I couldn't make any math work out to support that. I mean, last I checked into it... Canada was around 20% complete on the cycle with around 5 million kills... but 5 million isn't 20% of the population of around 35 million.

So it's still kind of a mystery, so perhaps they are taking the population * .75 to determine the number of kills needed to complete a cycle ... or who the heck knows. The game doesn't explain it at all.

Virro

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I thought the same at first, but I couldn't make any math work out to support that. I mean, last I checked into it... Canada was around 20% complete on the cycle with around 5 million kills... but 5 million isn't 20% of the population of around 35 million.

So it's still kind of a mystery, so perhaps they are taking the population * .75 to determine the number of kills needed to complete a cycle ... or who the heck knows. The game doesn't explain it at all.

Yeah, I definitely don't think there's a 1 to 1 relationship or an obvious direct correlation between the two. I figure they're taking into consideration the recruits and zombies being killed for each country and then factoring that into the real population somehow... I dunno though. Just a guess.

dralla

is this really laggy for everyone else? played through 3 levels and there was a good half second delay on everything

YoungHav

Banned
How much could a game like this cost to develop? My rank is 13K, so at least that many people bought it. That puts them at around $150K made day one at the least.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dralla said:
is this really laggy for everyone else? played through 3 levels and there was a good half second delay on everything

It's not THAT laggy to me, but you clearly sense the difference from single player. I feel less in control.

Virro

YoungHav said:
How much could a game like this cost to develop? My rank is 13K, so at least that many people bought it. That puts them at around $150K made day one at the least.

I doubt they're taking home 10/15 dollars from every purchase. Gotta pay Poppa Pimp Sony.

CiSTM

Banned
YoungHav said:

It would be really interesting to know. I know the budget is lot higher then your regular DL game because it's nordic origin and over there the staff costs alone are pretty insane. I hope Dead Nation does well so HouseMarque can continue making great games. Their next project already looks freaking cool.

spats

TTP said:
It's not THAT laggy to me, but you clearly sense the difference from single player. I feel less in control.

Yeah, I was playing online co-op yesterday and while it wasn't unplayable, it felt a bit sluggish.

Also is it just me or does the world ranking stuff at the end of the level take a really long time to load?

No45

If you look at the news ticker on the main screen it tells you how many people are fighting the virus - I assume that's the amount of people that have contributed to the global ranking? It was just under 21k when I last looked an hour or so ago.

Do we have a confirmed breakdown of the armour stats? I assume:

Strength = melee attack power
Endurance = defence
Agility = movement speed/rush

?

I'm using the Pro-Suit stuff at the moment.

For weapons I've maxed the rifle (which I'm using 95% of the time) and the mines (how great are these?), and I'm working on the shotgun as a backup weapon. Finished mission three on normal at the moment.

What exactly counts towards the loot percentage? Is it only the secret chests with armour, gold and multiplier or is it basically everything including cars, vending machines and whatnot?

Holy shit!

That last bit at the end of the
Graveyard
level... Took some doing.

Got one more level to do now.

And the lag on online co-op is rather off putting.

BeeDog

Katana_Strikes said:
Holy shit!

That last bit at the end of the
Graveyard
level... Took some doing.

Got one more level to do now.

And the lag on online co-op is rather off putting.

Was just about to enter this topic and post about that last part of the graveyard level. Yikes, the difficulty spike was noticeable. Finished it on my 5th try (on Normal); it was always the
arm-knife dude
that raped me.

dralla

If I pick up armor in single player, will it be there in online?

and the stats..stength = melee, endurance = defense, agility = movement speed?

littleornothin

Neo Member
Well, i think everybody in the beta commented on the graveyard level.. absolutely the hardest part.
My best strategy was to max out the smg and mines. The shotty comes into play when smg runs out.

owlbeak

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I've mapped reload to R2 and melee to R3.

The one thing bringing this game down for me is the lack of checkpoint saving. As a father of a ten month old, I'd like the ability to stop mid-(long ass)-level... especailly if I'm dying and want to put it down for a bit to retry later.
This really bothers me. I keep dying on the end of the 1st level (playing on Grim by myself) and when I take a break it sucks to have to replay the entire level.

YoungHav

Banned
CiSTM said:
It would be really interesting to know. I know the budget is lot higher then your regular DL game because it's nordic origin and over there the staff costs alone are pretty insane. I hope Dead Nation does well so HouseMarque can continue making great games. Their next project already looks freaking cool.
21K people purchased so far at the minimum. They deserve every sale they get, SSHD and this are great.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Danne-Danger said:
This amusement park sure had a lot of clowns employed before the outbreak.

...and now they're gonna have no clowns when the virus clears up. :(

a serious clown shortage

Virro

Horsebite said:
This really bothers me. I keep dying on the end of the 1st level (playing on Grim by myself) and when I take a break it sucks to have to replay the entire level.

Why not just press the PS Button and leave it until later? Or do you turn off your PS3 every time you leave the room?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Virro said:
Why not just press the PS Button and leave it until later? Or do you turn off your PS3 every time you leave the room?

What if it's late night and you don't want to leave your PS3 on all night? It is a serious pain in the ass, a bad design decision. Sometimes you have to shut off the game and do something else, sometimes you might get frustrated and want to take a break - either way, it sucks to lose all progress when shit comes up.

spats said:
Yeah, I was playing online co-op yesterday and while it wasn't unplayable, it felt a bit sluggish.

Also is it just me or does the world ranking stuff at the end of the level take a really long time to load?

Agree with both points, the co op feels more sluggish which is extremly unhelpful when the enemies seem a lot more aggresive in co op.

The updating world ranking stats thing at the end of a level seems to take easily over 2 minutes for me (way too long)

After beating the game on Normal and working halfway through Grim, my opinion is that (without a demo) people should take the money they would spend on this and buy Lara Croft instead. Then, when they are done with that game and start thinking about this game again, they should take their money and buy SSHD.

Both of those games are substantially better than this experience.

Ricker

Horsebite said:

Yep...can`t beat the middle of level 4 so far and I had to quit...redoing all of it can get annoying after a while,if you are stuck in a place like this...I really don`t like having to use the D-Pad to select a weapon,in the middle of the action,it can mean death,especially since you can`t really understand what the lady is saying...why does she talk with a hot potato in her mouth? :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
the_prime_mover said:
After beating the game on Normal and working halfway through Grim, my opinion is that (without a demo) people should take the money they would spend on this and buy Lara Croft instead. Then, when they are done with that game and start thinking about this game again, they should take their money and buy SSHD.

Whatif I don't like Lara Craft.
Indifferent2.gif

see5harp

the_prime_mover said:

I agree with you but I still think Dead Nation is good enough to warrant a buy.

Virro said:

Sometimes I want to play a different game, watch a movie etc. These levels are long and sometimes tedious. Replaying it just to get to part you're having trouble with (if that's the reason you stopped) is annoying. It's an old-school design that isn't necessary.

Sounds like i don't enjoy the game, but I really like it. I'd actually spend more time with it if I knew I could save at checkpoints.

Mapping the inventory to the face buttons is the best thing I ever did.

What does the agility stat affect btw? Is strength just more melee dmg?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm just guessing but I think agility effects the boost, maybe the speed/distance and the recharge rate. Love the game, but the armor system is kind of sloppy. It's not clear what does what and I took me awhile to figure out how to even equip stuff.

see5harp

Danne-Danger said:
Mapping the inventory to the face buttons is the best thing I ever did.

What does the agility stat affect btw? Is strength just more melee dmg?

Agility= movement speed.

Not sure about strength but I assume it is melee only.

Top Bottom