• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

Volcynika

Played the first three levels with a friend on co-op. I guess it's an ok game. Nothing stands out to me as super exciting yet. Unless I missed something, needs to be a continuous fire for the standard weapon. If that's there I'd enjoy it a little more.

Mesijs

So, what's everybody's weapon upgrade/buy strategy?

I think it's best to buy few weapons, upgrade them and continuously buy ammo for them and also refill all L1 weapons. What weapons/projectiles do you guys like most?

spats

Volcynika said:
Played the first three levels with a friend on co-op. I guess it's an ok game. Nothing stands out to me as super exciting yet. Unless I missed something, needs to be a continuous fire for the standard weapon. If that's there I'd enjoy it a little more.

My first playthrough was a bit meh, but during the second one it clicked with me, just like SSHD did. You start looking at your score multiplier in a different way and it becomes a really exciting arcade-style risk vs reward score chase instead of a mediocre zombie shooter. SSHD had loads of "secrets" to get your points up like kiting score bubbles and boosting through them and preserving bombs and this game doesn't look to be that different.

THis game was a nobrainer for me as i loved SSDHD. Dowloading it right now. But i'm a bit scared after browsing through this thread...
I'll see and hope i haven't spent €12,99 for nothing.

spats said:
I was surprised at how hard Grim actually is. Played the campaign through once in local co-op and once as solo on normal, which was totally manageable but the first level alone had me at the edge of my seat on grim.

Oh and Finland is #3 on the leaderboards. ;)

When I got the level 4 armors later grim has felt pretty easy now, my speeds pretty high and I can take a lot more hits than I could earlier, as long as you upgrade the flares/nades/mines and such you will be fine.

That shocker weapon is pretty rubbish from what I have seen so far, big waste of money :(

Mesijs said:
So, what's everybody's weapon upgrade/buy strategy?

I think it's best to buy few weapons, upgrade them and continuously buy ammo for them and also refill all L1 weapons. What weapons/projectiles do you guys like most?
Rifle/Shotgun/Shocker/RL, first three fully upgraded and ammo for the RL. And all the items fully upgraded, especially mines and flares, didn't use molotovs that much.
kyo_daikun said:
That shocker weapon is pretty rubbish from what I have seen so far, big waste of money :(
Once you have the damage upgraded it'll melt soldiers in less than a second, and it spreads so it'll clear even the largest groups in no time. Plus I found that it was pretty cheap to upgrade. I also used it against the fast red guys instead of the SMG.

Ricker

I upgraded the Rifle to max at first,now the Shotgun is maxed,flares of course and grenades...

I hit my only gripe with this game last evening,the dreaded level 7 Graveyard level...do we need spoilers for this game,probably not,but i`ll do it just in case about the Graveyard.

My gripe is having to shutdown the PS3 to like go to sleep lol ,so I will have to restart from scratch...I got to the part where you have to break the small wall to go in and kill the guys that make the other zombie regenerate non stop if you don`t kill them,I just realised these guys where doing that on the previous level hehe...my first attempt without figuring this out I died after a while of course,my second try I noticed what I had to do but thought it was only one instance...my question is how many are they? After 5 tries I managed to kill 3 of these master guys but I got killed by one of those big guys with scissor hands and I had to stop....3 masters you have to break the little wall or is there one more?

Ricker said:
My gripe is having to shutdown the PS3 to like go to sleep lol ,so I will have to restart from scratch...I got to the part where you have to break the small wall to go in and kill the guys that make the other zombie regenerate non stop if you don`t kill them,I just realised these guys where doing that on the previous level hehe...my first attempt without figuring this out I died after a while of course,my second try I noticed what I had to do but thought it was only one instance...my question is how many are they? After 5 tries I managed to kill 3 of these master guys but I got killed by one of those big guys with scissor hands and I had to stop....3 masters you have to break the little wall or is there one more?
I want to say there were at least 5 of them, wasn't really keeping count though! My strategy there was to toss a flare beside the entrance, move in with the shotty (should be 2 shots fully upgraded, on Grim) and then rush back out. When you run out of flares use grenades.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ricker said:
I upgraded the Rifle to max at first,now the Shotgun is maxed,flares of course and grenades...

I hit my only gripe with this game last evening,the dreaded level 7 Graveyard level...do we need spoilers for this game,probably not,but i`ll do it just in case about the Graveyard.

There were 4 or 5 of them. Definitely more than 3.

Brazil said:
There were 4 or 5 of them. Definitely more than 3.

Yeah, 4 of them and each time you kill one it ushers in the next wave of zombies usually accompanied by two or more super zombies. That section of the game is by far the worst designed as there seems to be no way to get through it without taking substantial damage and losing most of your multiplier.

I am trying to get all of the trophies for this game (half way through Morbid now), but in order to get the co-op campaign trophy do I need to start a campaign or will it trigger if I just play every mission independently? I can't seem to figure out how to play campaign with random people and my friends list has pretty much ignored this game.

NHale

Finished the campaign in 6h30. I know it's strange but I really wished the campaign was shorter. If missions length were 2/3 of what they are, I would never felt bored and it would lead to a bigger replayability. The "2 waves zombies followed by a wave from behind" formula gets tiring after a while but is even worse when you die 15 minutes after a checkpoint and have to repeat the same scripted scenes again.

Overall, I liked the game but it's not as special as I thought after the first 2 hours.

Ha, glad you all agree that the level 7 crescendo event is a pile of shit. I still don't know what the hell they were thinking.

To me, that particular event highlighted the problem of the game not having a set twin stick shooter identity. At times it wants to you to play it like SSHD running and gunning like crazy, and at times it wants you to be strategic and slower (as the game made itself out to be, considering limited supplies of ammo and such). You'd think that particular event would be something like the other crescendos, but no - it forces you to kite like you're playing SSHD.
I think this also goes hand in hand with the "darkness" talk earlier, and how being able to see something coming at you from the corner of your eye is one of the tenets of twin stick shooter design. Again, it doesn't have a clear identity of it wants to be.

I wish this were as tightly and expertly designed as SSHD. :(

DeadGzuz said:
I used to love their reviews, but between this 2/5 and the GT5 score along with all the good reviews for Kinect shoevelware, I'm starting to think they should stick to the casual games and maybe start advertising on Oprah.
they gave dance central and kinect sports 4/5 and kinect adventures 3/5. But okay?

Raist

Banned
Played some online co-op for the past two days. Did'nt really have any lag issues. Controls feel a bit more "floaty" but it's very minor. Good stuff.

Also, wtf @ Finland #2

Well, Housemarque is from Finland. Maybe that has something to do with the apparent popularity.
Or they tweaked the rankings. :O

todahawk

Played the first few levels with neoparadigm last night and i stuck with mostly the default rifle and smg, neo put some $$$ into smg and flamethrower.

We started doing consistently better (IMHO) when we both started loading up on items like flares, grenades, mines and molotov's. I maxed out inventory for flares and grenades first. when the big waves hit we'd toss a flare and a grenade. worked well until neo had connection problems :(

tjohn86

Beat the game coop with my buddy. I would say it's 4/5 overall. Some balancing issues... and I would like to play the hardest difficulty without beating the game 4 times. Totally worth the $15 though. Last mission is awesome.

Decado

Played the first 3 levels in local coop and loved it. Hoping for a sequel or good ad-on content (if there is such a thing).

Decado said:
Played the first 3 levels in local coop and loved it. Hoping for a sequel or good ad-on content (if there is such a thing).
:lol

You're less then 1/3rd through the game, and you already want a sequel?

I find it annoying that some people take every little bits of challenge in games as "flaws" nowadays. The game doesn't hold your hand much and that's perfect. We need more games like that. There's a lot of re-playability with the various difficulty levels, and the checkpoints aren't that far from one another when you don't stop to kill every wave of zombies.

When you die in this game, rather than immediately assume there's a design "flaw" somewhere, you should be asking yourself if there's something that you could improve on in order to do better the next time around.

Graveyard level was awesome!

NinjaCodah said:
I find it annoying that some people take every little bits of challenge in games as "flaws" nowadays. The game doesn't hold your hand much and that's perfect. We need more games like that. There's a lot of re-playability with the various difficulty levels, and the checkpoints aren't that far from one another when you don't stop to kill every wave of zombies.

When you die in this game, rather than immediately assume there's a design "flaw" somewhere, you should be asking yourself if there's something that you could improve on in order to do better the next time around.

Completely agreed. Every time I have died in this game, I felt like I could have done something to prevent that. The second time around I almost always do well because the game gives you all the tools you need in order to beat it.

alterno69

Banned
NinjaCodah said:

Word, i actually beat that level without losing a single life. By the time i got to that level i was in the fucking zone, killing mofos left and right, managing my flares, mines, frags and DASH like an expert. After level two i only died a couple of times causei was surprised bythose damn scissor hand fuckers and i've never died more than once in the same level. Game is awesome.

Lince

Banned
NinjaCodah said:
When you die in this game, rather than immediately assume there's a design "flaw" somewhere, you should be asking yourself if there's something that you could improve on in order to do better the next time around. !

the game is awesome, can't believe there isn't a demo for it, I'm pretty much sure sales would be much higher. Also, I'm pretty confident Housemarque will continue supporting and improving the game for a long time, new modes, new features, new weapons, new zombies, maybe bosses, who knows, I'm sure this is just the beginning.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Loving this game. Yeah, the environments could be a little more diverse looking, but the graphics themselves look great. No tearing and a rock solid framerate. Some of the checkpoints are a little too spaced out for my liking, but when you restart you know the level so you can place mines according for big booms. I wish the boost refueled quicker, though. It would make it that much more fun.

DireStr8s

NinjaCodah said:

could not have said it better.

ijed

Lince said:
I'm pretty confident Housemarque will continue supporting and improving the game for a long time, new modes, new features, new weapons, new zombies, maybe bosses, who knows, I'm sure this is just the beginning.

Hope so - still just over half way through my first playthough (and played the same amount in co-op), loving it so far and will get a playthough again on grim but just thinking if it was a bit less scripted it would have a bit more replay value. More weapon and armour customisation would be good also.

Also hoping that each virus cycle will add something different - is this correct or is it just a number?

shwimpy

Just beat the campaign on co-op. What a bitch of a last level... so satisfying to finish it. :D Dumb ending but whatever. :lol

Only 53% of the trophies... Hopefully someone makes an armor/loot guide soon. Dreading playing this on Grim and beyond though. D=

The last part of the graveyard level was frakkin hard... and i'm only playing on normal. *shudder* The difficulty doesn't feel cheap though, so i don't mind all that much. Plus it's fun trying to come up with different strategies to get through some of the harder situations.

Any aussie gaffers pick this up?

ijed

Spotless Mind said:
Any aussie gaffers pick this up?

AusGAF Zombie killers reprazent! Yeah we were getting close to 800 recruits last night - pretty good numbers.

Want to finish off my single player then will probably hit up some people for co-op so feel free to add me PSN: luniac

Mrbob

Do you get to keep your weapon and armor upgrades through continuous playthroughs? I haven't had time to play this game a ton ( I think I beat the first 3 or 4 stages so far) but it is a lot of fun. :D I read the Giant Bomb review usually I agree with Brad but he needs to know there is gamma control in the game. I turned mine up a couple notches but the game is built around using the flash light anyway. Also it isn't hard to tell the spread of weapons either without needing a scope. Complaints seemed odd but whatever game is good fun!

dralla

is there an armor location guide? I'd really like the last piece of the ExoGear Im missing, the gloves. Agility is the most important thing on the harder difficulties, would like to max it out.

ijed

Mrbob said:
Do you get to keep your weapon and armor upgrades through continuous playthroughs? I haven't had time to play this game a ton ( I think I beat the first 3 or 4 stages so far) but it is a lot of fun. :D I read the Giant Bomb review usually I agree with Brad but he needs to know there is gamma control in the game. I turned mine up a couple notches but the game is built around using the flash light anyway. Also it isn't hard to tell the spread of weapons either without needing a scope. Complaints seemed odd but whatever game is good fun!

You keep your unlocked armor but all your weapons and extras like flares and grenades are reset to 0 when you start a new campaign.

The only level I mentioned I had a problem with checkpoints was level 5, the gap was way too large between them, all the rest of the levels were spot on.

Beat the game on Grim last night, last part of level 10 was mental, totally take back what I said about the shockgun, saved my arse multiple times against the never ending horde of army guys :lol

RustyO

ijed said:
Hope so - still just over half way through my first playthough (and played the same amount in co-op), loving it so far and will get a playthough again on grim but just thinking if it was a bit less scripted it would have a bit more replay value. More weapon and armour customisation would be good also.

Agree with most of this, also done about halfway through on co-op.

My biggest disappointment though is lack of collateral damage or "friendly fire" :D

Ricker

the_prime_mover said:
Yeah, 4 of them and each time you kill one it ushers in the next wave of zombies usually accompanied by two or more super zombies. That section of the game is by far the worst designed as there seems to be no way to get through it without taking substantial damage and losing most of your multiplier.

I am trying to get all of the trophies for this game (half way through Morbid now), but in order to get the co-op campaign trophy do I need to start a campaign or will it trigger if I just play every mission independently? I can't seem to figure out how to play campaign with random people and my friends list has pretty much ignored this game.

Tried a few more times yesterday and didn`t make that level 7 graveyard...came close once but again one of those big guys with scissor hands killed me in 1 shot since I was so low on health...i`ll get it eventually ....wondering,can I choose that level,play it co-op and then continue the solo campaign if we beat it...

Ricker said:
Tried a few more times yesterday and didn`t make that level 7 graveyard...came close once but again one of those big guys with scissor hands killed me in 1 shot since I was so low on health...i`ll get it eventually ....wondering,can I choose that level,play it co-op and then continue the solo campaign if we beat it...

2x Powershot will break down the walls concealing the screachers. This will save other ammo for everyone else.

The boomers will be drawn to flares, grenades and mines much the same as any other minor zombie. Use this to help distract them while you focus on the leaper and slasher types.

A good effective combo is flare+grenade. Use that to clear out a bunch of the red zombies.

The shotgun (if it is powered up sufficiently) is much more effective than the powershot when used against single large enemies. It should only take three shots to take down a slasher or leaper and you should be able to get those shots off quite quickly.

If you have the electricity gun you can use that to take out the lower level zombies in one hit and stun any other zombie near by (do you get access to that gun by level 7?).

Use mines as barricades and use gravestones to halt the slashers' rush attacks.

I think boost may make you invincible and you can melee while boosting to get some quick kills off.

Molotov's usefulness is questionable. It will slow everything down and spread, but it also severely limits the area in which you can move without taking fire damage.

ijed

Just did the graveyard last night - 3rd time was the charm.

the_prime_mover said:
2x Powershot will break down the walls concealing the screachers. This will save other ammo for everyone else.

Use mines as barricades and use gravestones to halt the slashers' rush attacks.

Yeah took out the 2 Screamers Rick James Zombies on the left and hid in the 2nd room, chuck a flare/mine out the front for cover and you can also snipe the 3rd Rick James zombie from in there - then the rest was pretty easy :D

the_prime_mover said:
While I appreciate what you are saying, HM did decide to give the game multiplayer trophies, one of which requires that you complete the entire campaign in coop. This, to me, indicates that HM views coop as a major component of the game.
But I'm sure they were imagining local co-op, which was always in. Indeed, the menu only calls local play "co-op"; there's an entire other entry for "online" (co-op).

the_prime_mover said:
We also have to keep in mind that many of these games are only really active for a week or two after release and then people move on, so to have features missing for that period of time is a major mark against the game.
That I agree with, however. They tried to build in stuff to keep people coming back--some of the gallery images evidently only unlock if you play during later "virus cycles"--but a good first impression is hard to overvalue.

That said, Super Stardust HD as launched wasn't that impressive. Patches added new official soundtracks, custom user soundtracks, and trophies, and DLC added more modes and customization. Note also that vanilla SSHD was a relatively deliberate, methodical game compared to a Robotron, Smash TV, or Geometry Wars. Then they added the (paradoxically named) Endless mode, which is pure twitch heaven and the best part of the game. Hopefully they can pull off something like that with Dead Nation too.

No45

Completed the game on Normal last night. Absolutely fantastic, although I'm not looking forward to the end of level seven on harder difficulties!

I'm going to jump into some co-op tonight with randoms (don't think I have anyone on my FL in the UK playing it. :() - how does it work? Apparently I need to start a co-op match on level one, then I need someone else that matches my criteria (level one, same difficulty) to connect to me?

Oh well, if not I can always punish myself by starting on Grim. :p

Some general feedback on the game:

• Saves at check points, pretty please
  • Let me sell my weapons/ammo back, obviously at a reduced amount
  • Voice chat would be nice, coordinating upgrades etc. will be hard without it
  • Let me track more of my stats - the game must be tracking certain types of kills because there are trophies for them
  • Limit the range of the weapons so that they don't carry on moving past the screen edge - I've wasted so many cars that way, which impacts the loot percentage for that level
  • Some HUD re-organisation would be nice, there are many times when I've missed something that appears under the score at the top

I'm sure there are many I've missed. I'm not sure if you're aware, but HM are responding to feedback on the FB page (although not much of it is what you might want to hear):

Nice feedback so far.
There is some same ideas and thoughts that we had in office, great to know there is demand on some features. If there is coming dlc as ultimate decision is coming from Sony.

Here is why we have done some feature this way.
- If there was "New Game+" mostly all weapons are upgraded full when people has play game first time through. Second way around there would not be any challenge (current difficulty balance) or alternative ways to play game. Current way where player can only keep armor its give challenge to mix different weapons and buy different upgrades every time around.
- Voice chat was never design leave out. It was choice to keep one working and more important feature and drop voice chat off current build or release game in somewhere 2011.
- Having save point in checkpoint will have one huge cheating possible; when player die, turn console off and keep all multipliers. And well as most levels are around 20-30minute longs. It was designed better to have save point at ends of levels. Or should challenging game really have save point between every 5minute?
- Unlock saves, technical issue why it is there first place, if that is easy to fix it probably be fixed in some point.
- Playing missions there same weapons available that in campaign mode and some extra cast to buy upgrades. That keep score chase in balance. No point of using all special weapons in first level. That "challenge" would be how can run that level fastest through.

Alexander,
- Jumpers (jumping enemies) don't turn in mid air. And they can be avoid just rush when they are in air.
- Grenade can be toss longer if your moving that direction where you wanna throw that. With rush it will throw that even longer.
- There are many zombie types; generic, fat, deceased, and special zombies. And every one got one gun that is perfect to killing them. And melee attack is great against deceased (those fast red/black) just using that right distance of them and they will die just one hit. Use melee before they are right alongside of you.
Hope that helps :)
Strategy and tips should go under "Strategy of Dead Nation" discussions.

I don't buy the cheating thing for keeping score multipliers when you die though - if it autosaves immediately you're covered on that one surely? If you turn it off when saving you risk losing the save completely - unless they mean people will switch the console off when they think they're going to die? Good luck with that, usually if you think you're going to die you're dead immediately afterwards. :p

Top Bottom