• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

ijed

TrAcEr_x90 said:
can you gameshare this?
My friends have so yes

No45 said:
Completed the game on Normal last night. Absolutely fantastic, although I'm not looking forward to the end of level seven on harder difficulties!
me too! Last 3 levels are great with unique environments - All of the levels should be more like these - the rest just felt very samey.

No45 said:
Some general feedback on the game:

• Saves at check points, pretty please
  • Let me sell my weapons/ammo back, obviously at a reduced amount
  • Voice chat would be nice, coordinating upgrades etc. will be hard without it
  • Let me track more of my stats - the game must be tracking certain types of kills because there are trophies for them
    [*]Limit the range of the weapons so that they don't carry on moving past the screen edge - I've wasted so many cars that way, which impacts the loot percentage for that level
  • Some HUD re-organisation would be nice, there are many times when I've missed something that appears under the score at the top
Think that's kind of the point - the risk/reward between firing blindly and collecting loot

Got the platinum today after beating morbid and doing my 53K kills, great game, 1 or 2 minor niggles (they need to add voice chat fast, servers seem to be a bit rubbish when playing with people from different regions etc) but still one of the better games i've played this year.

Melchiah

Revolutionary said:
Ha, glad you all agree that the level 7 crescendo event is a pile of shit. I still don't know what the hell they were thinking.

Damn, that end of the level 7 was annoying beyond belief. After multiple tries I managed to beat it by using flares, grenades and mines to distract and kill the zombies while I used the launcher to kill those creatures that summoned more zombies + the one with blades as arms, and the other larger enemies. What added to the annoyance was that I couldn't quit the game, and continue tomorrow (it's 3:00am here), because I would have to start the level from beginning.

HouseMarque said:
Having save point in checkpoint will have one huge cheating possible; when player die, turn console off and keep all multipliers. And well as most levels are around 20-30minute longs. It was designed better to have save point at ends of levels. Or should challenging game really have save point between every 5minute?

The levels are 20-30 minutes long, but with multiple tries it can take far more time than that. It's extremely frustrating that saving isn't possible mid-level. Not to mention, that it's a bad design choice. The cheating-thing sounds just like an excuse.

Melchiah said:
The levels are 20-30 minutes long, but with multiple tries it can take far more time than that. It's extremely frustrating that saving isn't possible mid-level. Not to mention, that it's a bad design choice. The cheating-thing sounds just like an excuse.

on their facebook discussion page they replied to suggestions/feedback (that they asked for) with an argumentative tone. every complaint or notation was argued and implied that they were all conscious decisions, and that they are right and the players that don't like those aspects are just confused, apparently. i thought that was kind of the point of feedback. to tell the developer what you think would make their game more worth the money we paid to play it in the first place. but what do we know?

sure, some of them i agree with, and some of them can completely be attributed to the game having a certain "skill factor". (ie: unless you practice and get good at playing you won't achieve very much) but when i try to note a bug i was told i was just flat out wrong. whenever i mentioned that the fatty/cop/soldier zombie stats needed to be tweaked more they just said that they are supposed to be that way. it's like i had to prove to them that i know what im doing and i can feel where work is needed. not that im picking my nose saying "DUHHH WHY DA GREEN GUY TAKE MORE SHOTS??".

EDIT: not that i'm NOT picking my nose, but i totally didn't say that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
on their facebook discussion page they replied to suggestions/feedback (that they asked for) with an argumentative tone. every complaint or notation was argued and implied that they were all conscious decisions, and that they are right and the players that don't like those aspects are just confused, apparently. i thought that was kind of the point of feedback. to tell the developer what you think would make their game more worth the money we paid to play it in the first place. but what do we know?

sure, some of them i agree with, and some of them can completely be attributed to the game having a certain "skill factor". (ie: unless you practice and get good at playing you won't achieve very much) but when i try to note a bug i was told i was just flat out wrong. whenever i mentioned that the fatty/cop/soldier zombie stats needed to be tweaked more they just said that they are supposed to be that way. it's like i had to prove to them that i know what im doing and i can feel where work is needed. not that im picking my nose saying "DUHHH WHY DA GREEN GUY TAKE MORE SHOTS??".

This unfortunately reminds me of Team 17 members flipping off players on their official forms at various points in time whenever somebody has a criticism of the way a Worms game is balanced.

Kaijima said:
This unfortunately reminds me of Team 17 members flipping off players on their official forms at various points in time whenever somebody has a criticism of the way a Worms game is balanced.

i went back and read the previous page on this thread and noticed someone posted the feedback response to mine from FB. those remarks are what i was talking about. and WOW at the T17 stuff. i don't even think Jaffe would do that. :lol

i also read where someone said that we are complaining that challenges are flaws. i can see where someone that's into challenging games could speak from that perspective, but you also have to understand that a lot of people don't get their funsies out of games that are hard or require skill, but get that fun factor from other places. i think games should generally allow for both types of players without it boiling down to "just put it on easy". if there are still "flaws" in a game's easy mode that still make the player feel like the game ITSELF is focused on skill, then that seems like a problem to me. the unlockable difficulty modes seem like they are tailored to that crowd, so why not tweak the normal/easy modes further?

one thing i was saying in the FB thread is that certain aspects of the game restrict the player in an odd way, and i didn't understand why those were imposed. for example, he said no NewGame+ because it's supposed to be a challenge. i said that why not let the NewGame+ not contribute to online stats AT ALL, but still allow for limited trophy qualification so that it's almost like a reward for those who went through it all and wanted to just play a mode where they lay waste with all of their armor and item stats upgraded. i don't see what the harm would be in enabling that for those that are having a hard time with the no hit and all loot trophies.

No45

ijed said:
Think that's kind of the point - the risk/reward between firing blindly and collecting loot
I'm not firing blindly though, I'm fending off the zombie horde - usually with a charged shot.

ChryZ

I played the game for many hours and I'm still impressed how amazing it looks. It's one of the best looking games on the system, IMHO.

RustyO

ijed said:
Me too! Last 3 levels are great with unique environments - All of the levels should be more like these - the rest just felt very samey.

You didn't wait for me? You promised you'd wait for me! :crys:

Ricker

Finally made it out of the graveyard,man that was crazy but once I knew I had to kill the right zombies fast,it went a little better,I threw everything at the hoardes,just spamming the L1 button at one point and the mines helped me a lot....almost got killed by some left-overs zombies near the end,those little buggers that fling poison,that would of pissed me off dying from them after resisting that onslaught :lol

Cesar

Banned
Does the game get harder if you play in co-op (more/harder to kill zombies) or does the difficulty stay the same?

how exactly do you play with randoms? or do you always have to invite someone..?

i sat in the online campaign lobby for 30 minutes and it didn't connect to anyone :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Playing the new Alien Breed makes you realize just how awesome Dead Nation is.
Looking forward to Giant Bomb review.

CiSTM

Banned
TTP said:
Playing the new Alien Breed makes you realize just how awesome Dead Nation is.
Looking forward to Giant Bomb review.
Didn't they already review it ? I think they gave it 2/5 or maybe I'm thinking some other site.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
astroturfing said:
how exactly do you play with randoms? or do you always have to invite someone..?

i sat in the online campaign lobby for 30 minutes and it didn't connect to anyone :(

I'll play with you (or anyone else): PSN is tigerheli. I just picked it up, would like to play with others

No45

CiSTM said:
Didn't they already review it ? I think they gave it 2/5 or maybe I'm thinking some other site.
I think he means he's looking forward to seeing what BG give Alien Breed, because of that 2/5.

EDIT: Anyone wanting some late night (22:00 > 00:00) UK co-op, add me! Number45.

denomes

I visited the Facebook thread and I wouldn't necessarily say they are responding in an argumentative tone. I think their English is a just a little broken which is why it might come off that way.

commish said:
I'll play with you (or anyone else): PSN is tigerheli. I just picked it up, would like to play with others

alright mang, i'm making myself a nice tasty noodle dinner but i'll be on a bit later. i already beat the game once so i'm not completely garbage i hope :)

btw, remember to upgrade and use flares, mines and grenades (molotovs too)! they are a life saver.

Melchiah

one thing i was saying in the FB thread is that certain aspects of the game restrict the player in an odd way, and i didn't understand why those were imposed. for example, he said no NewGame+ because it's supposed to be a challenge. i said that why not let the NewGame+ not contribute to online stats AT ALL, but still allow for limited trophy qualification so that it's almost like a reward for those who went through it all and wanted to just play a mode where they lay waste with all of their armor and item stats upgraded. i don't see what the harm would be in enabling that for those that are having a hard time with the no hit and all loot trophies.

The exclusion of NewGame+ is HUGE minus. It would have been so much fun to blast through the game again with all the artillery. Now I don't think I'd want to play the game through again by myself.

Lince

Banned
Melchiah said:
The exclusion of NewGame+ is HUGE minus. It would have been so much fun to blast through the game again with all the artillery. Now I don't think I'd want to play the game through again by myself.

yeah you have a point but with no newgame+ you are forced to spend wisely and every time the game feels and plays different with the upgrading paths decisions, easy mode is already there anyway.

YoungHav

Banned
I am glad the saving system is the way it is. No crybaby handholding and I commend them for that. My first playthrough is on Grim and it's an adventure completing a level. I know when I sit down I'm going to be on that couch for at least 40mins dying and rethinking strategies etc... That's what I like.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was wishing the saving system was different late last night when I was stuck on the last part of the Graveyard level. That was hardcore, but still, I had no choice so I pushed through to the end. The dynamite was a big help.

It's not without it's problems, but I'm still loving this game. It's so intense. Probably one of, if not my favorite PSN game of the year.

No45

YoungHav said:
I am glad the saving system is the way it is. No crybaby handholding and I commend them for that. My first playthrough is on Grim and it's an adventure completing a level. I know when I sit down I'm going to be on that couch for at least 40mins dying and rethinking strategies etc... That's what I like.
Having saves doesn't make the game any less of a challenge, it just means you can break it into shorter chunks if you're time limited - which a lot of people are.

ijed

RustyO said:
You didn't wait for me? You promised you'd wait for me! :crys:

Haven't done co-op run yet - You and me have a few zombies to kill - still need to do some DR2 co-op with ya as well :)

Cesar said:
Does the game get harder if you play in co-op (more/harder to kill zombies) or does the difficulty stay the same?
I thought the same difficulty setting in solo was a little easier than in co-op - co-op gets a bit more frantic trying not blow up your mate while still trying to grab all the lewt :D

Grisby

I was pretty worried about that Graveyard part that everyone has been talking about, knowing that I was going into it today. Just got done and it only took me three tries! I used the rocket/grenade launcher thing to take down the walls and then a flare/shotgun combo to pick everything else off.

Melchiah

Just bought some blood & bandages for tomorrow's Dead Nation launch party . Before the party starts we'll gather at Housemarque's office to take some pics of us zombies attacking and eating the developers. I'll post some pics here later on. =)

Glad to come in here and see the bitching about the end of level 7. I just got around to that myself.

End of cemetary level… bleh. This is not how it should have been done. After you figure out you better take care of the howlers in the crypts before doing anything else the whole thing just turns into a random shooting arena dropping mines and grenades at random hoping that a mob of unseen zombies don’t surround you while your boost is charging (since you can’t see jack).

The part about having to get the howlers is the only strategy that can be applied here, the rest is just pure mindless mayhem and it boils down to what’s in your inventory and luck at the end of the day to survive it. I hope the following levels don’t go this route too much. If you’re going to put somebody into a shooting arena at least make the lighting good enough to see what’s going on a WEE BIT.

I’m going to reiterate the need for saving the game at checkpoints again. It’s okay at the easier difficulty levels but when you hit a snag playing on the harder ones I feel like my eyes are going to pop out and I need to take a break for several hours or a day before I want to continue.

Ricker

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Glad to come in here and see the bitching about the end of level 7. I just got around to that myself.

End of cemetary level… bleh. This is not how it should have been done. After you figure out you better take care of the howlers in the crypts before doing anything else the whole thing just turns into a random shooting arena dropping mines and grenades at random hoping that a mob of unseen zombies don’t surround you while your boost is charging (since you can’t see jack).

The part about having to get the howlers is the only strategy that can be applied here, the rest is just pure mindless mayhem and it boils down to what’s in your inventory and luck at the end of the day to survive it. I hope the following levels don’t go this route too much. If you’re going to put somebody into a shooting arena at least make the lighting good enough to see what’s going on a WEE BIT.

I’m going to reiterate the need for saving the game at checkpoints again. It’s okay at the easier difficulty levels but when you hit a snag playing on the harder ones I feel like my eyes are going to pop out and I need to take a break for several hours or a day before I want to continue.

It`s kinda like that in the last level as well...I played it for about 1 hour last night,couldn`t beat it and had to hit the sack,so it`s back at the start today hehe....it`s the last level though so it`s ok,now that I know it`s probably the longest level i`ll just make sure I have lots of time to beat it...level 10 right is the last ...
Highway To Hell
...great game though.

No45 said:
Having saves doesn't make the game any less of a challenge, it just means you can break it into shorter chunks if you're time limited - which a lot of people are.

Thank you. Being able to save anywhere you want, with multiple save states going a la PC, would indeed make it less challenging but being able to take a break at checkpoints would make it a hell of a lot more enjoyable for me. Playing on higher difficulties, I'm almost afraid to start a level for fear of not being able to see it through to the end because I have other considerations in life that come up.

My wife is no fan of watching me play games that involve hours straight of screaming (oh you thought I was talking about the zombies in the game? No... that would be me screaming at the TV). She's pretty understanding and usually goes away to another part of the condo but there does come a point when she starts bugging me because she wants to use the TV and/or can't stand my cursing any more. :p

Cesar said:

Im pretty sure that the difficulty is exactly the same, enemies take the same amount of shots, there arent extra enemies.

Technically its a lot easier because you have double the nades/mines/flares and double the firepower, as someone said tho you have to be careful not to kill your team mate in the carnage (took my co-op buddy out like 5 times the other day firing the launcher at the blade guys)

Ricker

Well i`m done with this,can`t beat the last level,it`s absolutly ridiculous,solo,even on normal... might give it a shot online but i`m not even sure how it works or if you can choose any level or what...

Ricker said:
Well i`m done with this,can`t beat the last level,it`s absolutly ridiculous,solo,even on normal... might give it a shot online but i`m not even sure how it works or if you can choose any level or what...

A fully upgraded electricity gun will completely destroy the mobs of army zombies. Seriously, it is a one hit kill at close range. You can just run through the level getting all of the zombies into one big group and then one hit kill the entire mob. The boomers, leapers and slasher types may cause some problems, but just switch to shotgun and stay aggressive.

Raist

Banned
Ricker said:

It's even harder online :p
And yeah, you can either start a campaign (you won't have to finish it in one go or with the same player) and just play single missions.

Also, fuck Russia and Poland :[

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
JESUS CHRIST. It took me two hours to beat level 4 on Grim. That stupid elevator event in addition to the end bit.

Target time: 26:30
Time over target: 121:16

I can't imagine the other levels if they have this many zombies in a bottleneck in addition to the stupid tanks. :|

And it only took me two hours because I decided to sit my ass down and go through it out of pure frustration because House Marquee decided to not let you save progress mid-level at the latest checkpoint. WTF is with that stupid decision. God.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Ricker said:

I JUST beat the game on Grim (started with it so it's my first time) and I honestly thought the last level was a breeze compared to some of the other levels. Not that there weren't many zombies, there were an insane amount, but the many bottleneck passages made the numbers manageable. I honestly got annoyed at the amount of army zombies in the last passage since the only thing I had to do was run down to the bottleneck, mow them down one by one, back off, shoot some more; rince and repeat.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I haven't been online in a few days, but last I saw those Finland scum were nipping at our heels. It's time for USA to rally and show the rest who the boss, let's do this.

Nymerio

Finished the game on grim in local coop yesterday. I fucking love this game. This is seriously my game of the year, I haven't had that much fun with a game in ages. The first time we finished it on normal I always died after the last checkpoint when a ridiculous amount of those huge tanks appear, my friend had to finish the rest alone. I felt like crap, watching him play that part alone was really shitty. But not this time. I actually survived everything while he died after the first gate opens and the tanks rushed in. Fighting through the hordes alone was really intense, I actually had to use every weapon and gismo I had with me. Currently ranking 3rd in the austrian local coop rankings. Gonna have to get started on morbid :D

TheSeks said:
JESUS CHRIST. It took me two hours to beat level 4 on Grim. That stupid elevator event in addition to the end bit.

Target time: 26:30
Time over target: 121:16

I can't imagine the other levels if they have this many zombies in a bottleneck in addition to the stupid tanks. :|

And it only took me two hours because I decided to sit my ass down and go through it out of pure frustration because House Marquee decided to not let you save progress mid-level at the latest checkpoint. WTF is with that stupid decision. God.
i just beat it too, not that difficult if you use upgraged mines, nades and flares wisely. the elevator bit was easy as hell, just throw flares and let them cuddle up and then get close and wipe them all with a few shotgun blasts. and did i say use upgraded mines?

just started playing and got through level 2. really cool so far. not game of the year or anything but i was expecting garbage after some of these reviews

Nymerio

The game is much less difficult if you follow some basic steps when upgrading your weapons.

1. Upgrade your Rifle first. Start with upgrading its speed.
  2. Upgrade your mines, nades and flares. Mines especially are a life saver. Do not ever be stingy with flares and the like.
  3. If you think your mines etc. are good enough start upgrading your shotgun. Firing speed is a good start, but don't pump everything in there at once. Makes no sense being able to instantly go through four shots if your max. ammo is just four.
  4. Next you can either go with the launcher or wait for the shocker. I guess it comes down to preference. When playing coop one of us usually gets the launcher and the other one gets the shocker. The shocker is really great for grilling large amounts of smaller zombies. The first part of the very last checkpoint becomes really trivial with this.
  5. Don't buy the flame thrower
  6. Molotovs are pretty much a waste in my opinion. Only time I ever used them was in the last level when I had nothing else left

BeeDog

Nymerio said:
The game is much less difficult if you follow some basic steps when upgrading your weapons.

1. Upgrade your Rifle first. Start with upgrading its speed.
  2. Upgrade your mines, nades and flares. Mines especially are a life saver. Do not ever be stingy with flares and the like.
  3. If you think your mines etc. are good enough start upgrading your shotgun. Firing speed is a good start, but don't pump everything in there at once. Makes no sense being able to instantly go through four shots if your max. ammo is just four.
  4. Next you can either go with the launcher or wait for the shocker. I guess it comes down to preference. When playing coop one of us usually gets the launcher and the other one gets the shocker. The shocker is really great for grilling large amounts of smaller zombies. The first part of the very last checkpoint becomes really trivial with this.
  5. Don't buy the flame thrower
  6. Molotovs are pretty much a waste in my opinion. Only time I ever used them was in the last level when I had nothing else left

One might as well buy all the weapons either way; I think I had pretty much everything fully upgraded by level 8 or something. But other than that, yeah, your suggestions are good. The fully upgraded mines are a godsend.

Also want to add something myself:

- The dynamite is incredibly useful on the graveyard level; if you upgrade it, you can place one between the two topmost crypts, instantly killing the spawners. Had to do this to manage all the other zombies.

Cesar

Banned
JoeFenix said:
I'd like to but I need to get through Grim first, I'd play Grim with you if you are interested.

It doesn't matter (I think) if you haven't unlocked morbid, because I have. I'll set up the game and choose morbid difficulty. PSN = Bauter.

Phew, finished the campaign last night local coop, grim difficulty! The amount of soldiers on the highway was absolutely ridiculous :D

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Nymerio said:

* Upgrade your Rifle first. Start with upgrading its speed.
* Upgrade your mines, nades and flares. Mines especially are a life saver. Do not ever be stingy with flares and the like.
* If you think your mines etc. are good enough start upgrading your shotgun. Firing speed is a good start, but don't pump everything in there at once. Makes no sense being able to instantly go through four shots if your max. ammo is just four.
* Next you can either go with the launcher or wait for the shocker. I guess it comes down to preference. When playing coop one of us usually gets the launcher and the other one gets the shocker. The shocker is really great for grilling large amounts of smaller zombies. The first part of the very last checkpoint becomes really trivial with this.

That's basically what I did, except I maxed the SMG after Shotgun, then went for shocker (which was half-way upgraded when I beat the game). Flares had some uses for me, but mostly I'd just want to throw in a grenade instead. Same effect, and it kills.

* Don't buy the flame thrower
* Molotovs are pretty much a waste in my opinion. Only time I ever used them was in the last level when I had nothing else left
[/LIST]

Yeah, fire doesn't work that well since it only slows the enemies down. Molotovs weren't completely worthless though, because you could crowd control areas where there were a lot of zombies rushing you and you didn't want to waste mines/grenades.

Top Bottom