• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

Nymerio said:
The game is much less difficult if you follow some basic steps when upgrading your weapons.

1. Upgrade your Rifle first. Start with upgrading its speed.
  2. Upgrade your mines, nades and flares. Mines especially are a life saver. Do not ever be stingy with flares and the like.
  3. If you think your mines etc. are good enough start upgrading your shotgun. Firing speed is a good start, but don't pump everything in there at once. Makes no sense being able to instantly go through four shots if your max. ammo is just four.
  4. Next you can either go with the launcher or wait for the shocker. I guess it comes down to preference. When playing coop one of us usually gets the launcher and the other one gets the shocker. The shocker is really great for grilling large amounts of smaller zombies. The first part of the very last checkpoint becomes really trivial with this.
  5. Don't buy the flame thrower
  6. Molotovs are pretty much a waste in my opinion. Only time I ever used them was in the last level when I had nothing else left

Wrong

Nymerio

Never got any use out of this. Even if it actually were any good, every other weapon is just better than the flamethrower. Add to that the risk of friendly fire when you play coop. But I'm open to suggestions, what makes it so good in your opinion?

It's a perfect way at slowing down the suddenly appearing hordes, giving you time to prioritizes and deal with the worst threats or get to bottlenecks and set up a trap with mines.

The shocker did nothing to help me btw. To weak when stronger enemies are involved. It drains like mad too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
astroturfing said:
i just beat it too, not that difficult if you use upgraged mines, nades and flares wisely. the elevator bit was easy as hell, just throw flares and let them cuddle up and then get close and wipe them all with a few shotgun blasts. and did i say use upgraded mines?

I ran out of mines before the elevator. Too many zombies near the door to that area. Then I abused flares to slow/distract while I D-padded to the grenade to throw it and blow the flare zombies up.

I was OUT of 4 moltovs/mines/grenades/flares by the end of the elevator bit, and still had to fight a tank + thousands of enemies. :|

The only gun I've upgraded is the default gun because it has infinite ammo. The others I'm upgrading, but they don't have enough ammo for me to use them as a workhorse or hell use them in general in the level.

sca2511

Just beat it on easy with the GF, had a blast. Going to put it on normal or hard the next playthrough, hopefully she won't get frustrated, haha.

Nymerio

TheSeks said:
I ran out of mines before the elevator. Too many zombies near the door to that area. Then I abused flares to slow/distract while I D-padded to the grenade to throw it and blow the flare zombies up.

I was OUT of 4 moltovs/mines/grenades/flares by the end of the elevator bit, and still had to fight a tank + thousands of enemies. :|

The only gun I've upgraded is the default gun because it has infinite ammo. The others I'm upgrading, but they don't have enough ammo for me to use them as a workhorse or hell use them in general in the level.

There's no need to use a flare AND a nade. The grenade has the same effect as the flare.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mako_Drug said:
No u. But seriously the flamethrower stinks out loud.

I'm only playing on normal, but the flamethrower is a big help with crowd control. Spray a crowd, put your back against the wall and gun 'em all down with the rifle as they slowly stumble around and burn. It's more useful for slowing down hordes and getting them off your ass rather than actually just killing them.

whatev, it works for me

Raist said:
Judging by the leaderboards, it doesn't look like the game is very popular. I mean, only 56k players? wtf.
yeah sucks :/ i mean it's not a small game, took a while to come out and it's pretty damn gorgeous visually. i fear it won't be a financial success for Housemarque.. goddamn fellow ps3 owners, such a tiny percentage has bought this game. it should have sold at least 200k by now if there was any justice in this world.

alr1ghtstart said:
This no checkpoint save system is making me not want to re-play it.

Tell me about it. I can't even get myself wanting to actually finish the game once. I played for so long yesterday only to die twice and my impatience made me turn it off in favor of something else. I now do not feel like replaying through the entire level again just to get to that part and die again...

Still on the fence about buying this....... I want it to be awesome for sure as I don't have a good Zombie game on my PS3. I still don't see why Valve can't get it together and bring Left 4 Dead to the PS3.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Nymerio said:
The game is much less difficult if you follow some basic steps when upgrading your weapons.

2. Upgrade your mines, nades and flares. Mines especially are a life saver. Do not ever be stingy with flares and the like.
  3. If you think your mines etc. are good enough start upgrading your shotgun. Firing speed is a good start, but don't pump everything in there at once. Makes no sense being able to instantly go through four shots if your max. ammo is just four.
  4. Then buy the blade thrower and upgrade the shit outta it.
  5. Next you can either go with the launcher or wait for the shocker. I guess it comes down to preference. When playing coop one of us usually gets the launcher and the other one gets the shocker. The shocker is really great for grilling large amounts of smaller zombies. The first part of the very last checkpoint becomes really trivial with this.
  6. Don't buy the flame thrower
  7. Molotovs are pretty much a waste in my opinion. Only time I ever used them was in the last level when I had nothing else left

Think you missed something, so I fixed it for ya.

Wowbagger

Nymerio said:

4. Next you can either go with the launcher or wait for the shocker. I guess it comes down to preference. When playing coop one of us usually gets the launcher and the other one gets the shocker. The shocker is really great for grilling large amounts of smaller zombies. The first part of the very last checkpoint becomes really trivial with this.
  5. Don't buy the flame thrower
  6. Molotovs are pretty much a waste in my opinion. Only time I ever used them was in the last level when I had nothing else left

Good advice, but skip nades early on. You don't need them on the lower difficulty levels and they will just make all the zombies rush you on higher difficulties. Rifle -> flare -> mine -> shotgun is good for the early levels.

The blade thrower is the best weapon for crowds as it cuts down a large group of regular zombies with one blade on any difficulty. Max out ammo asap! Use a flare to make them bunch up, if required (great way to get maximum cash and multiplier from large groups!)

The launcher is a must for Cutters, and the Shocker is a good backup weapon for crowd control on the last three levels.

The SMG and flame thrower are completely useless. If you have the cash, you might as well get them for the final fight. Always get multiplier orbs from chests, thou.

I'm 22 on the global leaderboard, btw. Anyone better? :D

ijed

Raist said:
Judging by the leaderboards, it doesn't look like the game is very popular. I mean, only 56k players? wtf.

Wondering how the SSHD sales compared after a week and a bit and how they are looking now - Anyone know how many people there are on the SSHD leaderboards?

Ignored the reviews because this game just looks too damn awesome and bought it today. Playing single player campaign on grim difficulty and am in the Downtown level now. Everything about this game is top notch, especially the graphics. The graphics are incredibly detailed. I especially love how when you kill the zombies, they stay on the ground and don't disappear. There's also collision detection, too, as when you run over the dead zombies, their bodies wriggle around. That just adds to the atmosphere and brings you more immersed into the game.

The one thing I wish this game had was automatic fire, as constantly pressing R1 when using your rifle eventually takes a toll on my fingers/hands. By automatic fire, what I mean by this is when you hold down R1, your character fires continuously until you let go of the R1 button. But if this were implemented, how would you fire that super shot with your rifle? Simple, just let go of the R1 button. When you don't press R1, the rifle charges and when it's fully charged, just press R1 to fire the super shot. And rinse and repeat. That would be my one suggestion on how to improve the controls for the game. Other than that, great game. Housemarque did an incredible job with this game and it clearly shows.

Nymerio

highluxury said:
Think you missed something, so I fixed it for ya.

I don't know... The blade thrower IS really good, but I like using the shocker even more. The blade thrower is always pretty much the last weapon I buy. The only use I ever got out of the blade thrower was in the last level when my shocker was empty. I haven't really compared them in terms of radius, but I kinda feel the shocker is ahead. In the last level, i usually just run in so that all zombies appear, throw a flare and use the shocker to kill everything in one go. I guess with the thrower you'd have to wait till they're all together. Depends on preference I guess.

Got this game for some off line coop play with some friends. Been reading this thread and getting psyched about it now. Gonna have them come over tonight after work. I haven't even tried the single player and now the workday seems so much longer.

Ironically it was playing the alien breed 2 demo off line coop that convinced me getting this instead.

Hope it lives up to the hype you guys have built up for me. ;)

PuppetSlave said:
Got this game for some off line coop play with some friends. Been reading this thread and getting psyched about it now. Gonna have them come over tonight after work. I haven't even tried the single player and now the workday seems so much longer.

Ironically it was playing the alien breed 2 demo off line coop that convinced me getting this instead.

Hope it lives up to the hype you guys have built up for me. ;)

Never played the demo for that but did play the demo for the first one. Was not impressed. Dead Nation is on a whole different level than the Alien Breed games.

We played local coop so most weapons were in use as combos. Grim difficulty so the soldiers take 4 charged shots to kill etc.

Flamethrower+shotgun really works when a huge crowd surrounds you. Earlier on too it helps with soldiers a lot (Flamer+Rifle).

Flare+Bladegun works perfect earlier on with huge crowds of burning people/soldiers.

Shocker is best only in the last 2 levels or so when fully upgraded damage, cuts small enemies down in seconds.

Molotovs are pretty useless if you got the flamer. Just use the other explosives.

This is like the only game ever where Mines are one of the best weapons. Buy all charges for them and use them wisely during those last checkpoint standoffs when waiting for an elevator etc.

SMG is pretty useless all the time, i would not invest in it as it takes a lot of money to fully upgrade. Use flare+chargedshot on crowds.

And yes, atleast we noticed that if you play Coop there will be more enemies and they have more endurance.

Raist said:

I saw 49k on the leaderboards for Pacman CE DX yesterday. Just to put it into context, I guess.

spats

Maastricht said:
I saw 49k on the leaderboards for Pacman CE DX yesterday. Just to put it into context, I guess.

It's a bit of a shame they didn't do a demo, the game demos well. Give half of the first level for instance and it's almost certain the player would get hooked.

Melchiah

Some pics from friday's launch party at Housemarque's office. I'll post more when I got more.

uHHBx.jpg

I'm the bald one in the back. =)

JJqnc.jpg

HRr6v.jpg

It was a fun night. We got to play and hang out with the developers. And they had made Dead Nation T-shirts for us (as seen on the developers in the pics). There were lots of beer, wine, and a killer bunch, which contained three bottles of gin and one bottle of Campari. :D

Dunno if it was of any use, but I told one of the developers, that many people would like that the game would save at checkpoints.

ChryZ

spats said:
It's a bit of a shame they didn't do a demo, the game demos well. Give half of the first level for instance and it's almost certain the player would get hooked.
They still can do that. Having a demo will bump the game back into the spot light for a week or two. It can be like a mini relaunch when the initial interest died down.

xzoowy

Great game overall, you really feel the legacy of the SuperStardustHD engine. Very similar control scheme, crazy amount of stuff on screen, great visuals, boost/run mechanic, emphasis on online leaderboards, score multiplier, good balancing and ramp up of the difficulty. As most good shooters, you feel the depth of the gameplay when playing on harder difficulties.

I love :
- The weapon/grenade management aspect of the game,
- The emphasis on grenade usage (more than other shooters),
- The diversity of the type of zombies (which gets more perceptible as difficulty increases),
- Being swamed by tons of zombies (quite impressive the amount of enemies on screen).
- Various traps(usualy near treasure boxes) that take you by surprise and keeps you on your guard.
- Music is ok

What i didnt like :
- Levels look all about the same, more diversity (indoor environnements and lighting/ambiance variations would be welcomed)
- Swaping guns is clumsy, just let me bind my favorite guns on the face buttons.
- A few guns feel kinda useless (money wasters).

Im currently at Morrow Hospital on Undead and its quite challenging to say the least( zombies run faster than you ).

Any word on whether or not they are going to listen to their customers and save the game at checkpoints yet? It's seriously a patch that would take 5 minutes to code.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Melchiah said:
Dunno if it was of any use, but I told one of the developers, that many people would like that the game would save at checkpoints.

I'd prefer more DLC though. This game demands at least 2 expansion packs with different survivors and some interior levels, was a bit disappointing there werent any.

I'd like the idea of slaying zombies on the countryside.

Think I read they cut like a dusin levels from the game to finish the online Co-op before release. They should make those add-on DLC packs.

Grisby

highluxury said:
I'd prefer more DLC though. This game demands at least 2 expansion packs with different survivors and some interior levels, was a bit disappointing there werent any.

Think I read they cut like a dusin levels from the game to finish the online Co-op before release. They should make those add-on DLC packs.

I'm on the last level now and if they released any DLC I'd like to see brighter and more varied environments.

highluxury said:

There is no reason why patching campaign saves at checkpoints and DLC have to be mutually exclusive. Anyway...

I'd like to see a Smash TV remake game mode.

smash_tv_rev_5_00.png

Well now I have tried it and we did have a lot of fun. Some things though.

Any good tips on the jumpers? I used rush and got by sort of fine but my friend got wasted quite a bit by them. That big guy that jumps at you and takes half your life in one swipe.

Some weird bug made everything red and made the lift useless for a few minutes. No idea why but it solved itself after we waited for a while. Could not use the button before then.

PuppetSlave said:
Any good tips on the jumpers? I used rush and got by sort of fine but my friend got wasted quite a bit by them. That big guy that jumps at you and takes half your life in one swipe.

Use rush as soon as the jumper is in the air. You can also boost your speed with armor and just run away too. But this can only be done later on when you have more stars.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finally got back from the vacation and played DN :D As awesome as I hoped it would be. They have such fantastic visuals going on too, even though the SSDHD always looked cleaner than this thanks to higher resolution. Other than that small bit of disappointment everything felt absolutely great.

kassatsu said:
$15 does that
I was surprised by how low amount of 'recruits' each country had to be honest, but a lot of bigger downloadable games are selling for $15 nowadays. Didn't SSD sell for that much as well, and had 100K players almost instantly (it's up to 300+ or 400+ now, last I checked). This console owners should really start buying some stuff that doesn't have Call of Duty in its title.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
You can also run straight at them(w/o dashing) while they're jumping, leaving you up safely behind them. Takes some practice, but can prove useful if you know what you're doing.

ChryZ

Melchiah said:
Me & my girlfriend:
http://i.imgur.com/omT4K.jpg[IMG]

My friend's girlfriend:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/7ORJV.jpg[IMG]

Our group:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xxgWN.jpg[IMG]

Developers under attack:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GYxP2.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OsZxM.jpg[IMG]

More pics here: [url]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=26815&id=129695120412148&ref=mf[/url][/QUOTE]
Fucked up, love it.

Raist

Banned
Looks like it won't be too long until some countries reach cycle 2. I wish it would unlock more stuff than art gallery. Noby noby boy-style.

Also, just made the highest score WW on mission 4. Muhahaha.

Raist

Banned
FlashFlooder said:
wish this were $10... I really want to jump in, but with the size of my backlog $15 is just too much.

Honestly it's well worth the price if you're into scoring games and enjoy smooth online coop.

Top Bottom