• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

Hypereides

Gold Member
ScrabbleBanshee said:
There is no reason why patching campaign saves at checkpoints and DLC have to be mutually exclusive.

Well I just imagine it takes a good chunk of their time to do either. They're arent that big for a dev.

Raist

Banned
Got an annoying bug lately, where the character keeps reloading on its own after firing only 1-2 shots. Bloody annoying especially when there's a swarm of small zombies and you're using the SMG. Anyone got that one as well? Fix this shit GG!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Raist said:
Got an annoying bug lately, where the character keeps reloading on its own after firing only 1-2 shots. Bloody annoying especially when there's a swarm of small zombies and you're using the SMG. Anyone got that one as well? Fix this shit GG!

It happens to me all the time. The R3 trigger seems to be extremely sensitive. Another bug I've encountered is that the character randomly starts aiming in the wrong direction sometimes. It only happens once in a while, and it's only for a second or so, but it can be annoying as hell when you're cornered and you know that each shot has to hit it's mark.

Raist

Banned
Sword Familiar said:
It happens to me all the time. The R3 trigger seems to be extremely sensitive. Another bug I've encountered is that the character randomly starts aiming in the wrong direction sometimes. It only happens once in a while, and it's only for a second or so, but it can be annoying as hell when you're cornered and you know that each shot has to hit it's mark.

Yeah got that one as well, for instance when you're aiming at zombies while backing off, sometimes it starts aiming in the opposite direction. Deadly.

really found the groove to this game now. I love it!!! going for lines of multiple head shots is so fun. have they announced when voice chat is out??
I played online with a friend, but jesus, its so annoying when hes running around, right by a gate, and he doesnt see it. im like, get inside already so i can come back to life.

JoeFenix

I'm looking for a good dedicated player to do some score runs with on grim difficulty, send a friend request to JoeFenix on PSN if you are interested!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is there no one playing this online? I can't find anyone to play with. Just sits there on the matchmaking screen

Raist

Banned
Wario64 said:
Is there no one playing this online? I can't find anyone to play with. Just sits there on the matchmaking screen

I think most of the people play with buddies. You don't wanna end up playing with a random jerk who's gonna rage quit after 5mins in this game. Lack of voice chat probably doesn't help.

Achtius

Wario64 said:

Yeah I couldn't find anyone to play online D:

But, damn this game is fun. Hope there will be DLC soon.

crops55

Love this game. Currently 43 in the US :) with tons of room for improvement. I would also like to do co-op if anyone is interested. PSN: tcrop

Synless

Wario64 said:
Personally, I refuse to play it until it has voice chat patched in. I'm not alone either, I have several friends who are also waiting.

Raist said:
I think most of the people play with buddies. You don't wanna end up playing with a random jerk who's gonna rage quit after 5mins in this game. Lack of voice chat probably doesn't help.

This, thoroughly irritating...

No45

Synless said:
Personally, I refuse to play it until it has voice chat patched in. I'm not alone either, I have several friends who are also waiting.
Yeah, I've completed the game on Normal and want to play in co-op but I really would prefer to wait for a patch if I'm honest. :(

Also, I think you need to be on the same co-op level on the same difficulty to get a match for online co-op which is why it can sometimes seem empty.

So is this game worth picking up? I seem to get really polarizing views on it. And would they ever actually add voice support? It seems like a lot of work for something already out.

Sorc3r3r

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So is this game worth picking up? I seem to get really polarizing views on it. And would they ever actually add voice support? It seems like a lot of work for something already out.

If you even vaguely like topdown shooterz buy it.

missing just two armor pieces and have no idea where they are :( and there isn't one good guide online, dammit.

Exogear #4 legs and Armoshell #5 body... anyone remember where they're at? so i dont have to scour every little corner in the entire game... plz.

quetz67

Banned
This game is really environment unfriendly.

I usually play 30-40 minutes before I am off to work. To finish a level I often need to keep the PS3 on to play the rest of the level in the evening.

Besides that .... :) :) :)

fulsome

Hmm.... looks like I could use some help for the higher difficulties.

How do you go about beating the cutter in morbid? It took me 5 launcher rounds to take down one, that's ridiculous.

Tip, Flame thrower + jumper = no jumping.

Man, stayed up till 4 am yesterday and finally beat the last section of the graveyard on grim difficulty. What a pain in the ass. The next level, in comparison, was a cakewalk. :lol Looking forward to trying the harder difficulties once I beat this on grim. :eek:

RustyO

Sword Familiar said:

This annoys the hell out of me as well, but I just need to get round to mapping it to a button and deal with it.

FredFish

nextgeneration said:
Man, stayed up till 4 am yesterday and finally beat the last section of the graveyard on grim difficulty. What a pain in the ass. The next level, in comparison, was a cakewalk. :lol Looking forward to trying the harder difficulties once I beat this on grim. :eek:

Good luck with the very last segment of Highway to Hell on Grim. Took me longer to clear than that last bit of Graveyard. I'm playing through on Morbid now and not really looking forward to either of those two sections :/

Achtius

fulsome said:
Hmm.... looks like I could use some help for the higher difficulties.

How do you go about beating the cutter in morbid? It took me 5 launcher rounds to take down one, that's ridiculous.

Tip, Flame thrower + jumper = no jumping.

:O

Mind = Blown

fulsome

Actually, you will notice that fire disables quite a few of the boss-types.

Against the screamer one (which brings hordes), it just doesn't scream anymore.

You can actually walk away from the jumps when you see that it is jumping. It will land at the spot where you last were as it begins to jump. You do not need to dash at all.

Bebpo

Banned
Is this game worth buying at full price? I liked SSHD and I'd be down for a polished zombie shooting game if it's really fun and well done in 1p.

If anyone's played Lara Croft and the GoL, is Dead Nation as enjoyable a single player polished action game as that?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I play Solo so I can't speak for people who like to play this game online but in my opinion this game is very underrated. I love it. The atmosphere is great, the controls are great and it's just really fun. One of the better looking PSN games to top it all off IMO. It's not as complete of an experience as Lara Croft PSN, it really is a dual stick shooter that does that one thing only, but does it well.

I can wholeheartedly recommend it if you are a SP guy like me.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The levels in this game are so long.

Anyway, I've got a question: If I just select the missions one by one and beat them that way, will the trophy for beating the campaign be unlocked?

Interstellar

Neo Member
Bebpo said:
Is this game worth buying at full price? I liked SSHD and I'd be down for a polished zombie shooting game if it's really fun and well done in 1p.

If anyone's played Lara Croft and the GoL, is Dead Nation as enjoyable a single player polished action game as that?

Bear in mind there's absolutely no puzzles in Dead Nation compared to GOL, it's all combat focused. IMO the shooting part is better as are the graphics (on consoles).

The strategy comes from taking out groups of zombies with mines, grenades, cars. If you liked SSHD then yes it is recommended. (I've only played 1p)

Wasn't the price reduced if you're a PS+ member? - not sure if that's still running.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You know, developers... I understand that not all games need to have checkpoints and mid level saves... hell I like hardcore games sometimes... but there's no good reason not to let us suspend our progress until later. Other than developer incompetence or laziness.

Some of us have jobs... classes... families... this is the third fucking time I've had to quit my game to tend to unexpected real life obligations. Having my only choice be: turn off the game or leave my PS3 running for hours is such a load of horseshit.

The damn PSP can do it with every game... standby or whatever it's called. There's no reason not to implement something like that. This is a cool game, but every time I sit down to play it, I get fucked over.

I'm tired of paying money for shit man that I can't enjoy because I actually have a life.

Get a clue devs... who the hell do you think is buying this game? Little kids? No... it's adults with other responsibilities.

I mean I was so excited, and kicking ass, and then obligations call and I have to turn off my PS3 and lose all my progress. (again)

recklessmind said:
You know, developers... I understand that not all games need to have checkpoints and mid level saves... hell I like hardcore games sometimes... but there's no good reason not to let us suspend our progress until later. Other than developer incompetence or laziness.

Some of us have jobs... classes... families... this is the third fucking time I've had to quit my game to tend to unexpected real life obligations. Having my only choice be: turn off the game or leave my PS3 running for hours is such a load of horseshit.

The damn PSP can do it with every game... standby or whatever it's called. There's no reason not to implement something like that. This is a cool game, but every time I sit down to play it, I get fucked over.

I'm tired of paying money for shit man that I can't enjoy because I actually have a life.

Get a clue devs... who the hell do you think is buying this game? Little kids? No... it's adults with other responsibilities.

I mean I was so excited, and kicking ass, and then obligations call and I have to turn off my PS3 and lose all my progress. (again)

You know - I wonder if it this was done intentionally to artificially lengthen the time it takes to finish the game. This is a tactic that I've seen used many times and I sometimes wonder if it's done intentionally. If so, then fucking lame. But other than this, though, this is a very high quality game and best zombie game ever made. I beat it on grim last night and am going to work on morbid now. :)

Bebpo said:

If you're like me and care about your scores and working yourself up on the leaderboards, then it's completely worth it. I've never played Lara Croft and the GoL, but this is a very polished game. The graphic details are amazing and it has amazing sound/music.

JoeFenix

It's sad that most people seem to be sleeping on this one, for people that love score attack this game is absolutely awesome!

Managed to get 4th worldwide in solo on Undead difficulty, that shit is ridiculously hard!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm about halfway through the campaign now, and what a stupidly great and satisfying game this is. Not just comparing to other shooters, I can't think of anything in this view perspective I've enjoyed playing nearly as much since the first BG: DA.

In fact, to me this is such an obvious quality game that I cannot for the life of me see how it could have garnered some of the low review scores it has got from some places. They are not affecting my enjoyment with it of course, but someone not familiar with the game will see that it's not getting much better reviews than that atrocity Zombie Apocalypse, a game that's realistically an order of magnitude worse, and just skip on it. What they've made here is by far and away second best twin stick shooter on PSN, right after their own SSDHD.

Maybe they should have gone with some other theme after all, but there's really so few zombie games on PS3 that I can't see it bothering anyone, especially when the entry is this good.

JoeFenix said:
It's sad that most people seem to be sleeping on this one, for people that love score attack this game is absolutely awesome!

Managed to get 4th worldwide in solo on Undead difficulty, that shit is ridiculously hard!
Hey, I know you. You're the #1 in Canada!

JoeFenix

Lord Error said:
I'm about halfway through the campaign now, and what a stupidly great and satisfying game this is. Not just comparing to other shooters, I can't think of anything in this view perspective I've enjoyed playing nearly as much since the first BG: DA.

In fact, to me this is such an obvious quality game that I cannot for the life of me see how it could have garnered some of the low review scores it has got from some places. They are not affecting my enjoyment with it of course, but someone not familiar with the game will see that it's not getting much better reviews than that atrocity Zombie Apocalypse, a game that's realistically an order of magnitude worse, and just skip on it. What they've made here is by far and away second best twin stick shooter on PSN, right after their own SSDHD.

Maybe they should have gone with some other theme after all, but there's really so few zombie games on PS3 that I can't see it bothering anyone, especially when the entry is this good.

I feel the exact same way about it, I think it confused reviewers because it's a bit harder to pin down what type of game it's meant to be.

On one hand it has a campaign-like structure with upgrades and currency but it doesn't let you carry over your arsenal to another playthrough which alot of reviewers probably expected.

If you don't play the game while trying to keep your multiplier up you are missing the point basicaly. The multiplier is the glue that holds everything together, without it you would be left with really solid mechanics but it would feel like a grind.

Hopefuly Housemarque keeps supporting the game and word of mouth gets around, it really is a fantastic game that deserves more attention!

so two of my friends finally got this game. when we play online, we get the first mission done and my friend accidentally backed out instead of goign to the next mission. so we start it up again, but it doesnt let us go to the second level? it says were not on the same mission anymore or something like that?? do we have to start at the first level everytime?

I assume he didn't unlock the second mission properly by just backing out, so he can't join you on that mission. But I'm not sure, since I never played much of the Online Coop.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JoeFenix said:
If you don't play the game while trying to keep your multiplier up you are missing the point basicaly. The multiplier is the glue that holds everything together, without it you would be left with really solid mechanics but it would feel like a grind.

Hopefuly Housemarque keeps supporting the game and word of mouth gets around, it really is a fantastic game that deserves more attention!
I agree that it's a score attack game at its heart, but playing through it for the first time, I don't feel the 'grind' at all. Every single level has been really fun, and with new zombies they keep introducing and new weapons and upgrades that constantly become available, there's an enormous amount of approaches to any given situation that can be tried. It always feels new, and the danger and tension never subsides. They clearly wanted to make something that has more of a progression than SSD, and have done so really well. Thinking more about it, I wonder if they regret this now, as I'm sure the production work on this game has been significantly more complex than SSD, and it's not looking like the game will be as popular.

More on the game itself, I've finished the graveyard last night, and that last scene was just completely amazing. Craziness abound, it took some real strategizing with weapons to get through it, and I loved every second of it, even though I had to repeat it twice. It also highlighted just how amazing engine these guys have developed, that can seemingly put an infinite amount of things on the screen without ever dropping a single frame, and still keeping it one of the best looking games around. I only wish most full retail games had lighting and shadowing half as good as this game does.

Raist

Banned
People begging for mid-level saves are completely missing the point of this game. It's first and foremost a score attack game. Hence why there's no interim saves.
I mean, it would be like asking for mid-level saves in SSDHD. I don't remember seeing such complaints.

As for reviews, I think the most common issue people had is that the game is "too dark". Well that's the fucking point as well. In really dark areas you have to be extra careful, look everywhere with the flashlight etc. Sound plays an important role as well.

Top Bottom