• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

Wowbagger

Gen X said:
So after a couple of days I still haven't ventured into the 2nd level because I keep restarting the first to try and beat it without dying/lasting as long as I can without getting hit. What I've noticed is that the amount of coin crates drop seems random, or does it change based on performance/time taken? Quite a few times I've had around 45k before the first weapons truck, other times I struggle to get 25k.

If you're trying to maximize your multiplier by not getting hit, you should always get multiplier bonus from chests. You don't need the extra cash.

I wouldn't worry too much about the multiplier on the first playthrough, though. You no doubt will overlook items and secrets, spend your cash poorly, and lose depressing amounts of multiplier due to not knowing what to expect around the next corner.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Played through the first three levels in co-op with my wife yesterday. It's great fun, but a little repeatetive. It's also a shame that she have to wait for me to die or reach the checkpoint everytime she dies (or vice versa, which isn't quite as often :D). The game should also save at every checkpoint, so that I'm not absolutely forced to finish a level every time I/we play. Makes the decision to continue playing after the level harder - "just a little more" isn't an option in this game. It's either not at all or the full level. Annoying.

ARGGH! So i'm trying to beat Fenix's score, I'm playing morbid, managed to get to the graveyard with 6000+ multiplier, about to take out a scissor guy but get stuck in the geometry, cannot move, then get killed by the scissor dude....

FUCK! FUCK FUCK FUCKING FUCK!!!!!

I love this game to death, but god damn it keeps fucking me over because of collision bugs like that. It's like an abusive relationship.

Diebuster

Anyone have tips for the end of chapter 7 (graveyard level)? I've managed fine up to this point, but the cheapness of this particular section is making me want to stop playing entirely.

Diebuster said:
... but the cheapness of this particular section is making me want to stop playing entirely.

I have no tips for you, only that the 5th (or something) chapter has made my brother and me stop playing. Aggravating.

CLEEK

Diebuster said:
Anyone have tips for the end of chapter 7 (graveyard level)? I've managed fine up to this point, but the cheapness of this particular section is making me want to stop playing entirely.

It's all about shooting the walls off the various huts and killing the screaming zombie things ASAP. As long as they're alive (if a zombie can be alive), they will continue to spawn endless red zombies.

The rhythm to the section I found to work was focus on killing one of the screamers, then go into crowd control to mop up all the smaller zombies. Once you have some breathing room, move to the next hut and rinse and repeat. This it the only checkpoint in the game that gave me any real trouble.

Diebuster

SPE said:
It's all about shooting the walls off the various huts and killing the screaming zombie things ASAP. As long as they're alive (if a zombie can be alive), they will continue to spawn endless red zombies.

The rhythm to the section I found to work was focus on killing one of the screamers, then go into crowd control to mop up all the smaller zombies. Once you have some breathing room, move to the next hut and rinse and repeat. This it the only checkpoint in the game that gave me any real trouble.

That's the method I was using, but it just wasn't working out for me. I'd go from screamer to screamer and eventually just find myself trapped, completely swarmed from all directions with no escape.

By some miracle of god I did manage to survive, using an admittedly sloppier method. I went to all of the huts in a clockwise sweep just blowing off the doors to let the screamers loose, dropping nades along the way. After that I just unleashed hellfire to shut them up and switched between the shocker and shotgun to take care of everything else. Barely scraped by, almost dying multiple times, but I made it to the finish. I really do hope I've made it past the worst, that section was just frustrating.

Wowbagger

Going clockwise is the way to do it. The amount of enemies is a bit overkill, but it's not too bad as long as you have four maxed out mines and flares. Just rush left immediately, place a mine outside the house, use shotgun on screamer, throw flare out, then rush up to next house, place mine outside, etc.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
NinjaCodah said:
managed to get to the graveyard with 6000+ multiplier

Ahahaha, wtf? 6000?There I was thinking I was doing sweet with 700x :lol

When you finish the game on any difficulty does anything carry over such as armour, weapons?

Gen X said:
Ahahaha, wtf? 6000?There I was thinking I was doing sweet with 700x :lol

When you finish the game on any difficulty does anything carry over such as armour, weapons?
It carries armor only, and the armor chests that you already opened before will contain cash instead.

Raist

Banned
NinjaCodah said:
ARGGH! So i'm trying to beat Fenix's score, I'm playing morbid, managed to get to the graveyard with 6000+ multiplier, about to take out a scissor guy but get stuck in the geometry, cannot move, then get killed by the scissor dude....

FUCK! FUCK FUCK FUCKING FUCK!!!!!

I love this game to death, but god damn it keeps fucking me over because of collision bugs like that. It's like an abusive relationship.

It's alright, his score got absolutely smashed. Hiscore is 10 billion now. That's fucking insane.

Raist

Banned
Diebuster said:
That's the method I was using, but it just wasn't working out for me. I'd go from screamer to screamer and eventually just find myself trapped, completely swarmed from all directions with no escape.

By some miracle of god I did manage to survive, using an admittedly sloppier method. I went to all of the huts in a clockwise sweep just blowing off the doors to let the screamers loose, dropping nades along the way. After that I just unleashed hellfire to shut them up and switched between the shocker and shotgun to take care of everything else. Barely scraped by, almost dying multiple times, but I made it to the finish. I really do hope I've made it past the worst, that section was just frustrating.

That's the way I do it:

Open the door after the checkpoint. Try to kill the couple of cops that stand a bit further without going in. Rush to the left (first crypt) with the shotty. Usually, the screamer isn't triggered yet and you have time to blow the door up and kill up. Rush out and go to the next one, dropping a flare just outside. Kill the screamer, get out and try to mow down zombies that stick to the flare on the way. Rinse and repeat for the last 2 screamers.
When you go towards the last one, the fat exploding zombies (forgot their name) should be around your latest flare, so use the blade cannon to one shot them on your way to the last crypt.
Then it's basically a matter of using mines/nades and be very wary of the cutter.

Diebuster said:

why are people having trouble with this? we blazed through it on our second try, and we started in Grim difficulty.

You just need to destroy all the crypts real quick and then keep throwing bombs and laying waste with the shotguns and grenade/blade launchers. It doesn't even last long, less than 5 minutes or so.

Or are you trying to keep the multiplier or something related to maximum points?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I haven't played this game in weeks. I don't know, it just hasn't hooked me in yet. There's just something about it that turns me off. I think it has to do with how long the levels are. I only play one level every time I play and that's all I can muster up unfortunately until the next dose. Does anyone feel the same? Granted, I haven't played co-op yet so maybe it'll be more fun that way. I'll have to tell one of my buddies to play this with me. Also, any word on voice chat?

Raist

Banned
Rewrite said:
I haven't played this game in weeks. I don't know, it just hasn't hooked me in yet. There's just something about it that turns me off. I think it has to do with how long the levels are. I only play one level every time I play and that's all I can muster up unfortunately until the next dose. Does anyone feel the same? Granted, I haven't played co-op yet so maybe it'll be more fun that way. I'll have to tell one of my buddies to play this with me. Also, any word on voice chat?

Levels aren't that long. Reference times for each one of them is easily achievable so even the longest level shouldn't take more than 25 mins or so. Unless you go through alternate routes or "hidden" zones for some of them, which can take a bit longer. Coop on undead mode takes a bit longer as zombies are insanely more resistant as well.
And yes, I find coop to be much more enjoyable.

As for voice chat, they stated that they should have news about their next patch "soon". That was a bit less than a week ago.

Ricker

The graveward level was hard for me but I finally got it...it`s nothing compared to the last level though,I can`t beat it and gave up a while back on trying(normal).

Raist

Banned
Ricker said:
The graveward level was hard for me but I finally got it...it`s nothing compared to the last level though,I can`t beat it and gave up a while back on trying(normal).

Really? I thought it was far from the hardest one. Granted, there's a shitload of zombies and it can be problematic on higher difficulty levels since you tend to run out of ammop, but other than that it's pretty much straightforward.

DoomGyver

Despite purchasing this day 1 (ps+ discount) I just now started and finished my first play-through on grim. Do I lose all my armor/upgrades if I start a new campaign? Or do they carry over?

Or should I do mission select and then select morbid?

Anyways, I enjoyed it. Lots of gameplay for the $11 I spent. My only complaints would be the slowdowns and bad placements for checkpoints. Just let me stop, save, and come back where I left off already. The slowdowns are really unforgivable. Really takes me out of the game when they happen and only happen when shit actually hits the fan.

RustyO

Full Recovery said:
Despite purchasing this day 1 (ps+ discount) I just now started and finished my first play-through on grim. Do I lose all my armor/upgrades if I start a new campaign? Or do they carry over?

Armour is carried over. Weapons are not.

It's almost been two months. Two whole months. I know they're a small team, but there's no way a voice chat patch should be taking them two months.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
After forgetting about this game for a couple months, I finally went back and finished chapters 9 & 10 so it's beaten for now. It's a really good PSN game, but there are a few things that hold it back from being among the best.

1. I really wish there were persistent unlockables, meaning that upgrades would take longer, but they would be more meaningful and would carry over across multiple playthroughs and co-op outings. Now that I've beaten the game, I feel discouraged about starting over or moving up to a new difficulty with all my weapons and suit stats being reset. It's something so simple, but it would have added so much longevity and replayability to to the game. Unfortunately, though, I don't really have any motivation to start a new playthrough anytime soon.

2. There should have been more than just the campaign. The core gameplay is so good, and it's what I love most about this game, and the lack of modes like score attack or survival seems like a major missed opportunity, just like persistent unlockables. The game is a blast to play but I can't understand why they wouldn't have added more venues to enjoy it. Shit, I'd even pay for it as DLC but if they haven't patched in Mic support, I won't expect it. I want to keep playing the game, but my only option is to hit reset and return to where I started.

3. 1 # 2 are my major issues, but there were a few more minor complaints. As we all know, the lack of mid level checkpoints sucked. I like to be able to quit out when I get frustrated or just lose interest for the night, and it sucks to either grind forward or lose progress. Fuck that. Also, it felt a little unbalanced at times as some parts towards the end seemed to 'challenge' you by just spamming powerful enemies or the screamers at you. And lastly, I would have definitely appreciated a bit more variety in environments. Aside from a few areas, I felt like I was in the same place the entire time.

A few complaints, but only because this game could have been so much more. If 1, 2 and 3 could be fixed, this would be in my top 5 PSN games. It looks and sounds great, the atmosphere is killler and it's just damn fun to play. It makes killing zombies fun. I love turning a charging horde into paste by finding a choke point and mashing them with my shotgun, or tossing down a flare when things get crazy and torching them all with my flamethrower. It's intense as fuck and so much fun to play. I'd recommend it to almost anyone, but it still feels like a missed opportunity in many ways.

I don't know if I'll go back to Dead Nation anytime soon, but I can safely say I enjoyed it. A few poor design decisions keep it from being the game it could have been, but I had a great time with it regardless.

No45

Blu_LED said:
It's almost been two months. Two whole months. I know they're a small team, but there's no way a voice chat patch should be taking them two months.
It's crazy. I want to play it more, but I'm not going to until they patch it up. :(

Raist

Banned
Snuggler said:
After forgetting about this game for a couple months, I finally went back and finished chapters 9 & 10 so it's beaten for now. It's a really good PSN game, but there are a few things that hold it back from being among the best.

1. I really wish there were persistent unlockables, meaning that upgrades would take longer, but they would be more meaningful and would carry over across multiple playthroughs and co-op outings. Now that I've beaten the game, I feel discouraged about starting over or moving up to a new difficulty with all my weapons and suit stats being reset. It's something so simple, but it would have added so much longevity and replayability to to the game. Unfortunately, though, I don't really have any motivation to start a new playthrough anytime soon.

2. There should have been more than just the campaign. The core gameplay is so good, and it's what I love most about this game, and the lack of modes like score attack or survival seems like a major missed opportunity, just like persistent unlockables. The game is a blast to play but I can't understand why they wouldn't have added more venues to enjoy it. Shit, I'd even pay for it as DLC but if they haven't patched in Mic support, I won't expect it. I want to keep playing the game, but my only option is to hit reset and return to where I started.

3. 1 # 2 are my major issues, but there were a few more minor complaints. As we all know, the lack of mid level checkpoints sucked. I like to be able to quit out when I get frustrated or just lose interest for the night, and it sucks to either grind forward or lose progress. Fuck that. Also, it felt a little unbalanced at times as some parts towards the end seemed to 'challenge' you by just spamming powerful enemies or the screamers at you. And lastly, I would have definitely appreciated a bit more variety in environments. Aside from a few areas, I felt like I was in the same place the entire time.

A few complaints, but only because this game could have been so much more. If 1, 2 and 3 could be fixed, this would be in my top 5 PSN games. It looks and sounds great, the atmosphere is killler and it's just damn fun to play. It makes killing zombies fun. I love turning a charging horde into paste by finding a choke point and mashing them with my shotgun, or tossing down a flare when things get crazy and torching them all with my flamethrower. It's intense as fuck and so much fun to play. I'd recommend it to almost anyone, but it still feels like a missed opportunity in many ways.

I don't know if I'll go back to Dead Nation anytime soon, but I can safely say I enjoyed it. A few poor design decisions keep it from being the game it could have been, but I had a great time with it regardless.

1. It's a scoring game. If you're not into it, replayability is obviously gonna be low. Also, carrying weapon upgrades over would make the game wayyy too easy and boring.

2. There definitely will be stuff like that. They already said DLC is on its way, and that's the kind of stuff they delivered in Stardust.

Anyway, so a friend and I currently have all the highest scores in online coop LB. Need some competition badly. Get on it, GAF :p

Decado

Raist said:
2. There definitely will be stuff like that. They already said DLC is on its way, and that's the kind of stuff they delivered in Stardust.
Still waiting :( How long does it take to make DLC for a downloadable title? Hasn't even been announced.

Raist

Banned
Decado said:
Still waiting :( How long does it take to make DLC for a downloadable title? Hasn't even been announced.

Was announced in a podcast a little while ago. Remember that Housemarque is a very small team, too.

I couldn't play anything in its entirety in one sitting tbh but I am willing to play it in chunks with you after the 15th. I hit my dl cap and on the 15th I can buy/download it. Not much help sorry but I have been meaning to grab it.

DoomGyver

Sounds good, let me know if you purchase it. If there was an actual zombie outbreak I would want John Locke by my side like a boss.

Zozobra

Has there been any news whatsoever regarding what's going on with voice chat? This is a fun game, but I have no desire to keep playing it until that gets patched.

spats

Zozobra said:
Has there been any news whatsoever regarding what's going on with voice chat? This is a fun game, but I have no desire to keep playing it until that gets patched.

I'm thinking the game bomba'd so hard that they halted development of the patch. Dunno.

JoeFenix

spats said:
I'm thinking the game bomba'd so hard that they halted development of the patch. Dunno.

Last I checked a month ago they had over 100k people on the single player leaderboards, thats pretty solid no?

spats

JoeFenix said:
Last I checked a month ago they had over 100k people on the single player leaderboards, thats pretty solid no?

I stand corrected then. :p All I remember is that it had a really slow launch and I was near the top of the leaderboards with a crappy score for a good while. I should start playing this game again anyway, it's a lot of fun.

JoeFenix

spats said:
I stand corrected then. :p All I remember is that it had a really slow launch and I was near the top of the leaderboards with a crappy score for a good while. I should start playing this game again anyway, it's a lot of fun.

Yeah I'd have to check what the leaderboards look like now, I was first in the world for a couple of weeks but some Japanese guy DESTROYED my score on Undead haha.

I hope they release more content, the core gameplay is so good but there are definitely some flaws that need to be addressed.

Harri

Housemarque
Regarding the sales - DN is selling amazingly well. My personal estimate is that we have sold more units than our competitors Lara Croft GoL + Alien Breed 1 + 2 + 3 PSN put together. I might be wrong - but I don't think so.

Regarding to patch: it is coming. We completed programming Voice chat the week before Christmas - and the reason it's not released yet is unrelated to us. We are very sorry for the delay. There are good news too - the patch is great and it willl add many new features.

The exact date for the patch and some of its features will be announced very soon.

Other good news coming soon...

Harri said:
Regarding the sales - DN is selling amazingly well. My personal estimate is that we have sold more units than our competitors Lara Croft GoL + Alien Breed 1 + 2 + 3 PSN put together. I might be wrong - but I don't think so.

Regarding to patch: it is coming. We completed programming Voice chat the week before Christmas - and the reason it's not released yet is unrelated to us. We are very sorry for the delay. There are good news too - the patch is great and it willl add many new features.

The exact date for the patch and some of its features will be announced very soon.

Great news and nice to see this game selling well. Very well made game. :)

JoeFenix

Harri said:

Fantastic news, glad you guys are getting some success with this game!

I can't wait to see the changes that the patch will bring, thanks for updating us.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ooh, does the patch add the new features or is it a patch for DLC? I would definitely come back to DN if there are some new modes, Horde would be great.

acevans2

Harri said:

The exact date for the patch and some of it's features will be announced very soon.

Congratulations on the sales!

I've wondered why there hasn't been more discussion around this game. When I've play this co-op with a friend in the same room, it's produced some of the most memorable moments this generation.

It's fun, it's got plenty of depth, and it's freaking gorgeous to look at. I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone, even if they cant get very far due to the insane difficulty.

firstly, congrats on the sales. I platinumed DN within a couple days. Watching the score up just like in SSHD is always a treat. Very addictive and the excellent game mechanics never make the game feel cheap.

Secondly, last time i heard LC:GOL had over 100k sales
fake edit: Initial sales show the game has done well, with Guardian of Light selling 98,000 copies on Xbox Live in its first six weeks.(wikipedia)
Its been months since the game was released so i'm assuming it has gone up since then. Also there was a PSN/XBLA Sale after that 6 week period elapsed.
double fake edit: just checked the psn leaderboards, doesnt seem to go past 1000 so clearly i cant get an accurate take.

ANYWAYS, I find that sales statement a bit nebulous. I dont know what the AB sales are like, but i have never seen anyone playing it on my friends list, does anyone have numbers for it? Also DN has 140k on the single player boards, so im guessing between XBLA and PSN LC actually outsold DN.
real edit: you clearly state psn, so there you go on that level. If AB's have 40-50k sales between them that means lara is under 100.

lastly, with both DN and LC, I really dont feel like the price was fair. In neither event do i feel ripped off, that being said in both instances i was really looking forward to a new game and i was miffed about having to spend that extra 5 bucks. It would really be swell if there was a bit of free DLC to go out to early purchasers, or even just free for a weeks period of time like with the original LC DLC challenge room #1

Long story short, keep up the good work. Love your games, just wish they were a bit cheaper :(

Full Recovery said:
Sounds good, let me know if you purchase it. If there was an actual zombie outbreak I would want John Locke by my side like a boss.

Oh I didnt even see this post. Anyway, I would have bought it by now but that "Best of PSN" voting thing made me hold off, I have a feeling DN will win :p.

Sorry about that.

Thrakier

Harri said:

Good to hear.

Maybe you could make a Dead Nation 2 and improve on the first one. There is a lot to like abotu DN, but it has it's flaws. It get's too hectic in times and I loose oversight, because the camera is too far away. I just don't see my char anymore. Also, not all weapons are fun to use. And the surroundings are too similar. Make some indoor levels, change the pacing more etc. pp. - DN is a good first atempt, but it's not nearly as good as Stardust HD imo.

You also need quick change buttons for the weapons. If it get's hectic it's a pain in the ass to watch the lower left corner to see which weapon you have equipped/want to equip.

EDIT:

Strangely enough, I liked the AB2 demo more...didn't buy it though, but I felt more "in control" and the weapons and the shooting overall felt better, imo.

Harri

Housemarque
Yeah - I'm only talking about PSN sales. I've no glue of XBLA and PC sales for LC GoL nor Alien Breed.

-Amon-

I was worried for sales number, but reading you guys are happy about the numbers makes me happy too.

Great game in my opinion, lots of fun.

And great news about the patch too.

Harri

Housemarque
Thrakier said:
Strangely enough, I liked the AB2 demo more...didn't buy it though, but I felt more "in control" and the weapons and the shooting overall felt better, imo.

If you like a DLC game - buy it. A big chunk (or in some cases most) of the money goes to the developer. If the developer did a good game now there is a good change they will do a good one next...

Enojado

Harri said:

Thanks for sharing. Been waiting for the patch so me and my buddy can play. Looking forward to the other good news, too.

Top Bottom