• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Endo Punk

^

Congrats ! :D

Did you use Lisa to finish survival ?

so you're using lisa? i tried alpha for champ but got stomped by sarah on fight 62.

Yeah I used Lisa. From my experience wake up attacks help out a lot and that's where Alpha has a major disadvantage. Lisa combo is very good(video link somewhere on this age) and doing it twice pretty takes down an opponents life to a sliver, if you get them to hit electric ring it's even faster.

RpgN

I heard the game is toned down when it comes to costumes and fanservice for the main game on a whole. Also that there are no silly fanservice cutscenes during the story mode, is this true?

There were some trailers of bunny outfits and bikinis, are those just DLCs? Are there such outfits in the game?

Reading a couple of the last pages, I'm not surprised that you guys are mostly sounding all horny over the girls and sharing pictures lol. That Lisa costume is the absolute most terrible one I've seen, but you only unlock that one when you're really good at the game, right? It would be great to know what you guys think of the game itself and wether it's better than DoA4 or even how it compares to previous DoA games.

I told myself to skip on the game, but it sure looks great based on a couple of video reviews. It does look like it's not too bad with the ladies, but I can't be sure.

@RpgNn
Only 3 of the girls have really revealing swimsuits (Tina, Lisa and Christie). The rest of the characters have pretty ordinary/conservative wardrobes IMO.
If you really hate Lisas swimsuit, I wouldnt worry about seeing it online too much, as acquiring it is beyond the patience of most players.

Some Christie pics for the new page...

ALBUMMK25J0942006028093.jpg
ALBUMMK25J2603006028091.jpg
ALBUMMK25J1155006028144.jpg
ALBUMMK25J0010006028144.jpg
ALBUMMK25I4135006028116.jpg
ALBUMMK25I5742006028048.jpg

ALBUMMK25I2111006028071.jpg
ALBUMMK24J3750006028096.jpg

ALBUMMK25J4514006028083.jpg
ALBUMMK25J3909006028053.jpg

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I heard the game is toned down when it comes to costumes and fanservice for the main game on a whole. Also that there are no silly fanservice cutscenes during the story mode, is this true?

There were some trailers of bunny outfits and bikinis, are those just DLCs? Are there such outfits in the game?

Reading a couple of the last pages, I'm not surprised that you guys are mostly sounding all horny over the girls and sharing pictures lol. That Lisa costume is the absolute most terrible one I've seen, but you only unlock that one when you're really good at the game, right? It would be great to know what you guys think of the game itself and wether it's better than DoA4 or even how it compares to previous DoA games.

I told myself to skip on the game, but it sure looks great based on a couple of video reviews. It does look like it's not too bad with the ladies, but I can't be sure.

3 Fan service outfits in game
6 bunny DLC for preordering from Amazon (3 Black) and Gamestop (3 White)
12 Swimsuits (Gamestop Collectors)

Fan service still there with some celebration poses but surely it has gone down. On the story I cant really remember any pervy fan service except a shower scene and you really don't see anything so I think that doesn't even counts. Now the breast bounce still around if that bothers you.

Skilletor

Put me on your ignore list and the pics wont show up, if you're concerned.

I wouldn't want to do that. More likely that I'll just stop coming to the thread since nobody wants to talk about gameplay or is trying to organize matches.

Lyteedge: I sent you an invite on PSN. Let's play. That goes for anybody who wants to play.

Skillzilla81 on PSN or XBL.

Endo Punk

DOA5 has gameplay? My goal was just getting Lisa's swimsuit, Im done with this game now :p OK the gameplay is definitely a big improvement over DOA4, the addition of critical burst and power blow is great without taking away from the flowing nature DOA gameplay is known for. Holds don't feel overpowered like before and is a great feeling pulling one off to prevent the oppononet from continuing his onslaught, think they were a little to easy to do in past games.

If the next patch really does strengthen online play I would love to get a game with all you guys. Win or lose I just love how this game plays, so good man. I'm a Brad beast, Jann the man and Lisa Sexirosa player XD

louie

So yeah, on the topic of gameplay and competitive Dead or Alive - here's a link to the Canada Cup stream if you're not already watching:http://www.twitch.tv/canadacup2. Fuudo and Gamerbee just had a match, and they were both pretty damn good.

-

My xbl gamertag is Thunder Plunder if anyone wants to add me. I am a european player however, so I probably won't get a great signal with American players.

Loona

The best cutscenes in Story mode don't even have girls in them

There's this scene where Mila has her camera on in her bag in the locker room, which kinda ticked me off as to me she represented a more grounded take on the game that didn't focus as much on the fanservice, but more on the actual fighting and training, but like it was said, it hints at more than what it shows - was a bit of a thematic clash for me, but the game is quick to move on to more interesting and relevant scenes.

Reading a couple of the last pages, I'm not surprised that you guys are mostly sounding all horny over the girls and sharing pictures lol.

The outfit's annoying to get, it doesn't surprise me that some would celebrate finally getting the thing by posting some pics. I have a completist streak, but it doesn't swing that way as hard (Mila's flannel shirt is the best outfit out of all the girls anyway, and it's available from the start), but getting all outfits helps you get titles, and titles help you unlock the final character (which does tickle my completist streak).
If the challenge to unlock stuff didn't involve beating the AI consistently in a 100 opponent survival mode, I suspect more aspects of the gameplay would come up more often.

It would be great to know what you guys think of the game itself and wether it's better than DoA4 or even how it compares to previous DoA games.

I haven't played any of the games since DoA+ on arcades, but I do like that the game has a universal counter system, satisfying-feeling hits and throws, and takes enough liberties with possible moves (ex: Hayabusa'sover the top Izuna Drops) to make it feel more fun than Virtua Fighter, but lately I haven't been able to spend much time with it to explore these things more thouroughly.

Also, it's damn fun to finish off an opponent using Brad Wong with moves that leave him relaxing on the floor when he's done.

Endo Punk

Anyone else love that thud sound when performing a critical burst? Sounds so... meaty. Unfortunately I can't do it with Brad, his critical move is so awkward to perform, the game never registers my second forward direction before P.

Also, it's damn fun to finish off an opponent using Brad Wong with moves that leave him relaxing on the floor when he's done.

I make sure to taunt every time Im relaxing on the floor lol. It's the only taunt where he speaks when raising the drink.

louie

Tokidos style of game was weird in general. He seemed to favour combos that ended in force techs, for seemingly no reason. But yeah, pretty good matches all round. Gamerbee seems pretty knowledgeable about the game and his character.

sleepykyo

Tokidos style of game was weird in general. He seemed to favour combos that ended in force techs, for seemingly no reason. But yeah, pretty good matches all round. Gamerbee seems pretty knowledgeable about the game and his character.

At first I thought Gamerbee was Akira, should have known Fuudo doesn't touch low tier anymore. Also disappointed to see nothing cheap from Tokido after his performance with Viola in SC5 where he went for back throw loop and aegis reflector like setups.

RpgN

@Hoya Destroyer
That doesn't sound too bad then. If it's only for these three girls, then I can tolerate it more, but damn it you smacked me hard with those pics! Kind of showing me the worst the game has to offer. So in a sense, the game is very toned down and acceptable in the main mode, but if you're trying to do everything in the game, then you'll unlock 3 of the most revealing outfits in the Dead or Alive games as rewards.

3 Fan service outfits in game
6 bunny DLC for preordering from Amazon (3 Black) and Gamestop (3 White)
12 Swimsuits (Gamestop Collectors)

Fan service still there with some celebration poses but surely it has gone down. On the story I cant really remember any pervy fan service except a shower scene and you really don't see anything so I think that doesn't even counts. Now the breast bounce still around if that bothers you.

Wow, I thought the game had tons more of those kinky outfits in the main mode. So those 12 swimsuits and 6 bunny DLC are not in the game even, just an extra depending on where you order them from.

That sounds great. Dead or Alive Dimensions also had a shower scene but that wasn't bad at all. I've watched a couple of videos and the breast bounce didn't seem as bad as I thought they'd be. It only bothered me more with Tina and Lisa because of their costumes and the way they move.

Loona said:
detailed reply

Haha, that was a great cutscene. Now I'm still not sure wether that blond is a girl or a guy?

Your impressions sound great. Darn it, it sounds like I'll need to get the game after all, sooner or later. The way the game was promoted was a huge turn off, but now I hear it's not that bad...I love DoA games (not the spin-offs) except for 4, that one went in a totally crazy direction. DoA3 and Ultimate are still the best, though Dimensions wasn't too bad either. It's very impressive for a 3DS game.

Thanks for making things more clear everyone!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Your impressions sound great. Darn it, it sounds like I'll need to get the game after all, sooner or later. The way the game was promoted was a huge turn off, but now I hear it's not that bad...I love DoA games (not the spin-offs) except for 4, that one went in a totally crazy direction. DoA3 and Ultimate are still the best, though Dimensions wasn't too bad either. It's very impressive for a 3DS game.

Thanks for making things more clear everyone!

You clearly didnt saw Japanese Promo for SCV
Promo 1
Promo 2

sleepykyo

I didn't, that's creepy as hell lol. At least it's fair with its creepyness XD

Second was fake. Blame the Bayonetta artist for the first one. But yes, SC is quite fair in the sense that males can run around in their speedos just like the females via customization.

Skilletor

I actually liked that and am trying to implement into my game with Tina. You get advantage on wakeup; the damage he would get on launch height he was doing wouldn't be that significant, and could possibly knock the opponent away, which would reset everything to neutral (were he to end with ppp6p). This way, he gets to keep his offense going. Same thing with the Koko setup. It made the opponent guess 50/50 on wakeup. Pretty good stuff.

I might have to make Koko my 2nd. I've pretty much exclusively been using Tina w/ some Ayane.

Dizzy

Banned
Man fuck this game. You get so far and then it just sends in some invincible motherfucker to reverse everything and combo you to death. This is just champ too, I've got three more to do after this! Cba with it anymore.

Loona

Haha, that was a great cutscene. Now I'm still not sure wether that blond is a girl or a guy?

The blonde one's Eliot, a guy - he does have something in common with the girls though - while bikinis and outfits that play to fetishes have to be obtained through special editions, bought or unlocked, you can give every girl (well, maybe not to the Virtua Fighter ones) in the game glasses by just holding Left on the directional button - this applies to Eliot too.

The blonde one's Eliot, a guy - he does have something in common with the girls though - while bikinis and outfits that play to fetishes have to be obtained through special editions, bought or unlocked, you can give every girl (well, maybe not to the Virtua Fighter ones) in the game glasses by just holding Left on the directional button - this applies to Eliot too.

. . . . . .

what in the . . . . .

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just a heads up, Gamestop is giving $22 for the PS3 version of the game for trade in value. 10% if you're a member or it's towards BLOPs 2 or somethin' like that. Not bad for instant credit and not having the online pass.

This game is fantastic in a lotta ways, but it was an impulse buy for me and not something I saw myself really getting into that much. All I know is that Mila's sidestep to grab wrecked a lot of online players :)

And it's done.

Thumbnails cause PS3 version.

icon0w.png

icon0j.png

And the costume that was worth going through hell for.

icon0p.png

Will post proper pics once I find a way to export them from the PS3, I sincerely hope TN are aware and implement it into their next patch.

<3 Thanks for sharing. Dem titties and dat ass crack. Lisa needs more love, especially in that outfit. I'm severely dissapointed the japanese havent been taking questionable screencaps and videos of her like they have been for Tina, Helena, and Hitomi.

Those 3 rare bikinis are so difficult to get, especially Lisa's, that I doubt most gamers will ever get to see them on their TV screen. I haven't even tried to attempt to get Lisa's yet. Seems way too tedious. Maybe one day I will try when I have nothing else to do.

louie

I actually liked that and am trying to implement into my game with Tina. You get advantage on wakeup; the damage he would get on launch height he was doing wouldn't be that significant, and could possibly knock the opponent away, which would reset everything to neutral (were he to end with ppp6p). This way, he gets to keep his offense going. Same thing with the Koko setup. It made the opponent guess 50/50 on wakeup. Pretty good stuff.

I might have to make Koko my 2nd. I've pretty much exclusively been using Tina w/ some Ayane.

I guess I was just annoyed that he chose to go for those set-ups as Jann Lee, even when there was very obviously a wall nearby, which would have been the better option in my opinion. I couldn't fault the Kokoro tech though - forcing Gamerbee to guess between her amazing BT P+K and whatever else was pretty great to see.

But yeah, this is actually something I talked about a few posts back, were I was experimenting by force teching with Eliot's 2P+K. This would cause any move that was 15 frames or faster to simply pass through the opponent, and therefore meant that moves only became holdable on the 16th frame. Aside from using it to apply pressure, there simply wasn't enough reason to deliberately weaken a juggle to set one of these situations up. But I only know how to play Eliot, so maybe it is worth while for other characters to apply such set-ups (I assume those with little juggle opportunities and damage to benefit the most).

Regardless though, it was definitely great to see how seasoned FG pros approach DOA. Never thought I'd see Tokido, Gamerbee, Justin Wong, and Fuudo play this series.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Just lost on Champ 91. Damn Lisa ai just decided to turn on beast mode. Kokoro, Bayman, Lisa, and the VF characters seem to give me the most trouble.

GorillaJu

What "tier" is Kokoro as a character? She always looked the most interesting to me and I like that she's not exploited to hell and back with her costumes.

Mesharey

Tried Ayane and Hitomi for survival, I think I'll go with Ayane because it's easier to do the CB and use 66KK4, now just to maximize the damage after the CB.
I can do better combos with Hitomi but it's harder to the CB which is important for survival. :/

Tried Ayane and Hitomi for survival, I think I'll go with Ayane because it's easier to do the CB and use 66KK4, now just to maximize the damage after the CB.
I can do better combos with Hitomi but it's harder to the CB which is important for survival. :/

Yeah, a huge key to Survival success is having a big damage output combo, thats guaranteed (ie juggle damage).
If I hadnt been successful with Lisa, Tina probably would have been my best shot. I got to the high 60's with her a few times.
Initially, I thought Hayabusa would be my best chance, as he was the guy I used to clear Survival in DoA4.

You guys better hope TN doesn't allow exporting pics easily in the next patch because I'll flood this thread with bikini pics XD

Im ok with this :) Especially since you're one of the few who have Lisas swimsuit and yellow DLC dress

Kincaido

Just beat champ survival mode. My god. I'm still shaking lol. The last 10 battles were rough.

DR2K

Banned
lol. Satisfying, isn't it?

Having to do it 3 more times isn't. Team Ninja must have been smocking crack with survival mode.

DOA4 allowed for tag survival, which would make unlocking this costume much easier.

The Ai will randomly go into berzerk mode, put you into CB and PB you for over half your health.

Kincaido

lol. Satisfying, isn't it?

It kinda is lol. Still bums me out a little bit that I have to do it three more times, but I need that bikini. Got to 81 or true fighter, then Kokoro just came out and murdered me. She's definitely the scariest one to fight against. Doesn't really seem harder than champ difficulty. Gonna take a break before trying it again.

So I'm still playing this game and put more hours in it than in most other games this year (which might not be such an impressing feat since I don't have too much gaming time anyway).

Now I unlocked most things apart from Lisa's legendary suit and Alpha (but Alpha is only 20 titles or so away now). For the first time in my personal DoA-history, which began with DoA2 on Dreamcast, I actually prefer some of the male characters :D

Maybe because I'm not 18 anymore as when DoA2 arrived and mostly playing for the bounce :D (though I still kinda enjoy the sexy aspects :p). But the smooth coolness of Brad Wong, the powerful and violent attacks of Bayman, the dial-a-combo-possibilities of Eliot and the fast and slick moves of Jann Lee are really fun to explore. For the females, I enjoy Leifang, Hitomi and Tina the most. Somehow, I don't care too much about the ninjas anymore even though I often played as Ayane and Ein in the past games and still think Ryu is cool.
Tried to play the Virtua Fighter characters; after finishing their command training, I knew they weren't much for me even though their moves are really cool - I'm just not good enough to really unlock their potential (yet?)

Currently, I mostly play Versus against the A.I. 6 stars I guess and the occassional Throwdown challenge inbetween for fun and unlocking more titles. Really happy how the game turned out and I hope it will stay a bit more relevant for a while. Also, crossing my fingers for a Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate with more stages, Leon, more costumes and stuff, story mode for Christie and Lisa in one or two years :D

Endo Punk

I want to get special set 2 but if no one can see it in online play then what's the point.

It kinda is lol. Still bums me out a little bit that I have to do it three more times, but I need that bikini. Got to 81 or true fighter, then Kokoro just came out and murdered me. She's definitely the scariest one to fight against. Doesn't really seem harder than champ difficulty. Gonna take a break before trying it again.

Once I was done with Champ the rest of he difficulties really didn't feel any harder except for some really bad difficulty spikes with characters like Kokoro, Akira and Vanessa. That's when Lisa's 7K followed by a throw came in really handy.

Maybe because I'm not 18 anymore as when DoA2 arrived and mostly playing for the bounce :D (though I still kinda enjoy the sexy aspects :p). But the smooth coolness of Brad Wong, the powerful and violent attacks of Bayman, the dial-a-combo-possibilities of Eliot and the fast and slick moves of Jann Lee are really fun to explore. For the females, I enjoy Leifang, Hitomi and Tina the most. Somehow, I don't care too much about the ninjas anymore even though I often played as Ayane and Ein in the past games and still think Ryu is cool.

I did like the fan service a decade ago but it was always just complimentary to the fighting experience. Ive always been a fan of DOA's fluidity and level design which I consider the best due to the interactivity. With characters I didn't really have a female main until Lisa, I just dabbled with the female characters to see how they move lol. But been a Jann player from the beginning and then Leon and my favourite Brad Wong.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/10/23/dea...acks-coming-october-30-sample-shots-released/

Has anyone posted this yet? A full pack of gym outfits and a full pack of school uniforms is seriously disappointing. Be hilarious if they try and charge the same crazy amounts for those, no less.

Yeah I don't care much for neither the gym nor the school uniform sets. I'd rather have something like a "daily work"-set where the characters are shown according to their non-ninja/wrestling/fighting professions - if they'd include one school uniform there, ok. Or a "sports"-outfit thing though that might be boring as well. Or go fully banana and make historical outfits based on legendary fighters or eras or something like a set of costumes that makes them look like straight out of a 70s or 80s b-movie. But I guess... yeah, pandering to a certain group of people.

I'd also rather have them take their time and creating some NEW outfits instead of only rehashing the oldies. It's not as if there aren't any costumes available... I would rather wish for a DLC with "classic original soundtrack" for ingame if they're set to only give us "old content for a new price". I would pay for that ^^

I did like the fan service a decade ago but it was always just complimentary to the fighting experience, Ive always been a fan of DOA's fluidity and level design which I consider the best due to the interactivity.

Yeah, in the end it went into that direction for me as well. If the game itself hadn't been good, I probably wouldn't have bought every game in the series since :D But I did not care much for fighting games back then and DoA2's main draw for me buying it were the graphics and the girls. It was only my second fighting game after Soul Calibur, ever, and I didn't "grasp" the finesse of the different characters yet. Little did I know that it would impact my whole gaming life - made me a fighting game fan who would buy almost every fighter for a while (and who now also enjoys SNK games very much amongst others, making a big impact on my wallet actually :O). The fluidity and level design you called out are exactly why I keep coming back to DoA all the time apart from really being fond of the characters and overall style :) and something I kinda miss in other 3D fighting games (though they are trying similiar things in the last few years). Today, I feel after playing many other fighting games, I can really appreciate DoA and its different characters even more!

edit.: Just decided to have take part in some lobby matches and luckily, all of them were top notch connection-wise. Somehow, I did not have many bad experiences with the online play, yet.

Top Bottom