• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
This information is incorrect.

Alright will change to No idea then. Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT:

Difficulty Levels

Rookie
Easy
Normal
Hard
Champ
True Fighter
Master

More impressions from FSD user Keylay
I like the game but I wanted more out of sit down stuns. I'm still in the lab testing it out. After <- Block+Kick Kasumi can get a guaranteed <- Punch . I still have to mess around with the other sit down stuns. I really like the graphics and whatnot. But I'm still playing it like DOA4. If I go for Critical Burst, the AI counters me relentlessly on Champ difficulty. Maybe I need to find some new strings. I feel like the same thing will happen against human opponents.

need to see those costumes, has no one leaked them? Grr

I agree, Somebody on FSD mentioned that one of Kasumi's Costumes shown in one of the Dev chronicle videos
The Blue Kimono
is available I think after her story mode or something like that. But We need pics! ;__;

branny

That's a lot of difficulty levels. It's almost like we're coming full circle back to the nearly pointless star system in early SF.

Vazra

That's a lot of difficulty levels. It's almost like we're coming full circle back to the nearly pointless star system in early SF.

The more options the better. Will surely be fun see some rage videos on youtube lol

Squire

Banned
The more options the better. Will surely be fun see some rage videos on youtube lol

Definitely. Pretty happy ill be able to play this as casually or as seriously as I'd like (EDIT: I say this assuming none of the unlocks are difficulty specific a la DOA2U.). I wonder if the difficulty setting affects Story Mode or if that cycles through then all independently...

xion4360

Definitely. Pretty happy ill be able to play this as casually or as seriously as I'd like (EDIT: I say this assuming none of the unlocks are difficulty specific a la DOA2U.). I wonder if the difficulty setting affects Story Mode or if that cycles through then all independently...

well in DOA4 you could change the difficulty setting for each mode, story mode as well. also funny DOA4 only has normal, hard and very hard.

I hope Master is VERY HARD. because I play offline a lot and I would appreciate some challenge.

Oh and in DOA4 to unlock costumes you had to leave it on default setting, which is normal.

Also note these difficulty modes are for Arcade mode, but im just assuming its the same difficulty options.

Squire

Banned
well in DOA4 you could change the difficulty setting for each mode, story mode as well. also funny DOA4 only has normal, hard and very hard.

I hope Master is VERY HARD. because I play offline a lot and I would appreciate some challenge.

Oh and in DOA4 to unlock costumes you had to leave it on default setting, which is normal.

Also note these difficulty modes are for Arcade mode, but im just assuming its the same difficulty options.

Ah, I see. Was Normal difficulty reasonable for less skilled players? How did Dimensions handle difficulty/unlocks?

xion4360

Ah, I see. Was Normal difficulty reasonable for less skilled players? How did Dimensions handle difficulty/unlocks?

I never played Dimensions myself. Apparently you unlock costumes in DOA5 by playing arcade mode.

People generally say DOA4 is pretty difficult. I couldn't really tell you but the AI can counter a lot if you do the same moves over and over and the boss character can be pretty tough if you don't know how to handle her.

Vazra

I never played Dimensions myself. Apparently you unlock costumes in DOA5 by playing arcade mode.

People generally say DOA4 is pretty difficult. I couldn't really tell you but the AI can counter a lot if you do the same moves over and over and the boss character can be pretty tough if you don't know how to handle her.

Alpha on 4 was hard at first but she has very predictable patterns once you play more. As for the difficulty I found it easier working with shorter hits and grabs than trying to go all out on harder difficulties. Switch up combos often works obviously.

Event: DOA5 PSN GAF Tournament by:Memento Mori15
Start Date: Sept 29th (Time TBA)
Time Zone: EST
Stream URL: (TBA)
Prize: 1st place wins $10 PSN Code or $10 Amazon Gift Card
MAX 16 PLAYERS

Bumping.

DR2K

Banned
Love Kokoro's outfit in that video. Always thought the DOA series had the best costumes of any fighter. Looks like DOA5 will continue that tradition.

Yeah no competition there.

Love Helena's new costume. Hope it gets a few recolor variants.

Still wondering how much of the costumes will be unlockable in the game and how many of it will be DLC. With Team Ninja making Ryu Hayabusu's weapons as DLC in NG3, I'm preparing for the worst onslaught of DLC for DoA5.

That's one big thing that's holding me back from wanting to enjoy this game.

KSai

Dimensions was way too easy. Tag Challenge mode upped the ante with super damage on the part of the opponent and tiny health bars for the player. Just skip the 3DS version if you want to play single player.

neohwa

Awesome thread and great work! Searched through the whole thread and it seems this avatar is not currently used yet so hopefully I can use this.

Anyway I'm signing up for the tournament, although I will surely get last place again lol. XD

DR2K

Banned
Still wondering how much of the costumes will be unlockable in the game and how many of it will be DLC. With Team Ninja making Ryu Hayabusu's weapons as DLC in NG3, I'm preparing for the worst onslaught of DLC for DoA5.

That's one big thing that's holding me back from wanting to enjoy this game.

Only thing on the disc is bikini's, other than that the game has around 6 costumes per character.

No character DLC or stage DLC.

branny

No character DLC or stage DLC.
In DoA's case, I'd happily welcome both of those with open arms. (minor edit: whoops read "character" as "costume"--new characters, costumes, and stages are all fine by me)

I just hated how the free costume DLC with Dimensions was handled. Made me paranoid I'd miss something. I think I'd rather pay money to not have to deal with that again.

DR2K

Banned
In DoA's case, I'd happily welcome both of those with open arms. (minor edit: whoops read "character" as "costume"--new characters, costumes, and stages are all fine by me)

I just hated how the free costume DLC with Dimensions was handled. Made me paranoid I'd miss something. I think I'd rather pay money to not have to deal with that again.

Costume DLC is fine, but characters/stages should be done via expansion.

Yeah I hated leaving my 3DS on to download a costume I might never have a chance at getting again, very dumb way of DLC.

EDIT- hah, looks like a lot of special 360 owners will be getting to play DOA5 asap.

neohwa

So what's the reason of changing the story/personalities of some fighters in this series? I remember Lei Fang was more of a badass and Tina's hair was brown/black and was an asian back in DOA1. did I miss anyone else?

I actually prefer them over the changed one in DOA2. They could have made new characters instead of changing them imo.

DR2K

Banned
So what's the reason of changing the story/personalities of some fighters in this series? I remember Lei Fang was more of a badass and Tina's hair was brown/black and was an asian back in DOA1. did I miss anyone else?

I actually prefer them over the changed one in DOA2. They could have made new characters instead of changing them imo.

They didn't really have characters. This format allows the developer to give characters personalities, same with MK9.

neohwa

good thing is that they don't change anyone after DOA2. i like the new sets of characters except the "new" tina. "new" lei fang is finally growing on me fortunately.

it seems no one complained about the "new" tina and lei fang though, or maybe they did 10+ years ago...... :eek:

neohwa

which makes me wonder who is the more popular character - Kasumi or Ryu?

because i always wonder why Kasumi is always fairly hidden in a ninja gaiden game and Ryu is kinda hidden(overshadowed by other characters) in a Dead of Alive game.

patapuf

which makes me wonder who is the more popular character - Kasumi or Ryu?

because i always wonder why Kasumi is always fairly hidden in a ninja gaiden game and Ryu is kinda hidden(overshadowed by other characters) in a Dead of Alive game.

I'm pretty sure Kasumi is more popular in DOA. There's got to be some stats for most used character.

Galdelico

People complaining over no individual CG endings...

25 mins of CG movies full of nonsense over 3 hours of an actual story that makes sense. (For most of it) Seriously some people have some odd standards.
I won't complain but... I still wonder why it seems so hard for dem devs to follow the trail of Netherrealm and just offer a 100% complete package.

I mean, they have such goegeous models and before the XBOX era DoA's endings weren't about crazy CG (which I agree about the fact it was amazing sometimes and just cheap-looking some others) but short in-game-engine sequences. Would have it been that unreasonable for Team Ninja to provide the Story Mode and also Arcade endings just as in DoA2?

Anyway, not a big deal, but in a way I can feel some of those complaints.

I won't complain but... I still wonder why it seems so hard for dem devs to follow the trail of Netherrealm and just offer a 100% complete package.

I mean, they have such goegeous models and before the XBOX era DoA's endings weren't about crazy CG (which I agree about the fact it was amazing sometimes and just cheap-looking some others) but short in-game-engine sequences. Would have it been that unreasonable for Team Ninja to provide the Story Mode and also Arcade endings just as in DoA2?

Anyway, not a big deal, but in a way I can feel some of those complaints.

I've thought this about fighters too, it's not like they are overloaded with content. Hell DoAX3 should just be in the game and it would be a fantastic package.

Galdelico

I've thought this about fighters too, it's not like they are overloaded with content. Hell DoAX3 should just be in the game and it would be a fantastic package.
Dunno if serious or sarcastic :p but I really don't believe that wrapping up a bunch of Arcade endings (using the in game models and assets, no expensive CG at all or elaborate plots: just 30secs-1min long individual, silly sequences) would have been this unbearable amount of extra work for TN guys.

That aside, I don't care (I know how I will spend my offline-time with the game, and that ain't gonna be with Arcade) and I'm fine with the actual Story mode.

neohwa

I'm pretty sure Kasumi is more popular in DOA. There's got to be some stats for most used character.

they really got to make a ninja gaiden with Kasumi being the lead character. i'm bored with Ryu being in EVERY ninja gaiden games.

Out with Ryu! XD

Dunno if serious or sarcastic :p but I really don't believe that wrapping up a bunch of Arcade endings (using the in game models and assets, no expensive CG at all or elaborate plots: just 30secs-1min long individual, silly sequences) would have been this unbearable amount of extra work for TN guys.

That aside, I don't care (I know I will spend my time with the game offline otherwise) and I'm fine with the Story mode.

Not being sarcastic, I totally agree with you :) I'm looking at huge games like Forza, Gran Turismo, Skyrim, Fallout etc. all packed with lots of content, then I look at fighters and there isn't so much in there.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm probably the only person who doesn't mind a barebone game as long as the netcode is solid XD Now if the netcode is ass I wouldnt dare touch the game I dont care if there is some awesome single player content I'll go watch that on youtube if I really want to see it

DR2K

Banned
Not being sarcastic, I totally agree with you :) I'm looking at huge games like Forza, Gran Turismo, Skyrim, Fallout etc. all packed with lots of content, then I look at fighters and there isn't so much in there.

You're comparing it apples to oranges. It's a game designed around multiplayer. Compare it to games in similar genres, like FPS. Small campagin, big multiplayer. Outside of Mk9 and Blazeblue DOA5 is soundling like it has a pretty beefy story mode.

I'm probably the only person who doesn't mind a barebone game as long as the netcode is solid XD Now if the netcode is ass I wouldnt dare touch the game I dont care if there is some awesome single player content I'll go watch that on youtube if I really want to see it
All dat Mahvel you played must mean you got that super secret speed of light netcode. :p

neohwa

i'm not a racing game fan so forza and GT seems kinda empty to me, just racing and nothing else to do.......:p

Skyrim is loaded with bugs too, my ps3 version was loading like 10 mins every time i boot up the game!

TTT2 is loaded with contents for a fighter. same with blazblue, SSF4, MK, etc. and if you like create a figther, SC5 is awesome and the customization is limitless. i'm still not done with SC4 yet to be honest.

Galdelico

Oh cool, sorry then. :D

But i guess the reason (pretty much fair, is that...)

...people like Q here are totally not 'the only person who doesn't mind'. Again, I think it's fair and also a good thing fighting games' contents are calibrated according to high tier players (who just care for the engine, with no frills) but I can't help myself and just love when they literally overflow out of the box, as in Blazblue games, or the latest Mortal Kombat/KoF/Tekken Tag. :)

patapuf

Oh cool, sorry then. :D

But i guess the reason (pretty much fair, is that...)

...people like Q here are totally not 'the only person who doesn't mind'. Again, I think it's fair and also a good thing fighting games' contents are calibrated according to high tier players (who just care for the engine, with no frills) but I can't help myself and just love when they literally overflow out of the box, as in Blazblue games, or the latest Mortal Kombat/KoF/Tekken Tag. :)

It's not like DOA is that barebones in features. I mean, at least it has Tag and 1vs1 in one game...

I'm all for more content but somehow more stuff to unlock doesn't equal more features to me.

DR2K

Banned
It's not like DOA is that barebones in features. I mean, at least it has Tag and 1vs1 in one game...

I'm all for more content but somehow more stuff to unlock doesn't equal more features to me.

Nah there's tons to unlock(tons of costumes + characters), big robust story mode, plenty of modes to play, online mode is especially robust and feature filled as well.

patapuf

Oh no no, that's not what I meant: I'm totally fine with the contents in DoA5.

Was more burbling about the whole 'Arcade endings' thing, really. :)

i think the arcade thing is mostly habit.

People are still not used to a story mode/ fear that their favourite won't get any screentime.

maybe i'm a bit biased but beating the arcade mode a hundred times for all endings is boring.

Loona

good thing is that they don't change anyone after DOA2. i like the new sets of characters except the "new" tina. "new" lei fang is finally growing on me fortunately.

it seems no one complained about the "new" tina and lei fang though, or maybe they did 10+ years ago...... :eek:

It seems I haven't stated my preference for Original Brunette Tina from DoA1 That Actually Looked Like a Wrestler in this thread enough.
Shouldnt be hard to reskin into and sell as DLC for a modest amount.

Top Bottom