• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

What the hell, damn re-skin =(

Tina and Lisa will probably get re skins too...

I know. It sucks.
I wish they'd at least swap the swimsuit types between the girls.
It seems like everyone and their grandma got to wear Leifangs evening dress. The same rule should apply for the (sexy) swimsuits.

Squire

Banned
I really wish I got the PS3 version now.

I kind of do, too, given that the DLC will carry over to Vita and I bought a converter to use a 360 pad on PS3, anyway.

Speaking of which, I've been playing Soul Calibur V since I got that and I have to say it hi-lite's how sort of half-assed DOA5 was. The fighting is good which is most important and the character models are nice, but other than that, SCV blows it away in terms of presentation. The character design, background design, and the music are all on another level. Especially the backgrounds. SCV's are incredible. TN didn't even try with theirs.

I have yet to play Tekken Tag 2, but it definitely seems like Namdai made the most well-rounded 3D fighters this generation.

Dantis

I kind of due, too, given that the DLC will carry over to Vita and I bought a converter to use a 360 pad on PS3, anyway.

Speaking of which, I've been playing Soul Calibur V since I got that and I have to say it hi-lite's how sort of half-assed DOA5 was. The fighting is good which is most important and the character models are nice, but other than that, SCV blows it away in terms of presentation. The character design, background design, and the music are all on another level. Especially the backgrounds. SCV's are incredible. TN didn't even try with theirs.

I have yet to play Tekken Tag 2, but it definitely seems like Namdai made the most well-rounded 3D fighters this generation.

Absolutely disagree.

Particularly on character designs. Soul Calibur's art is vile.

Dantis

DOA's are lazy. The costumes are rehashed to high hell and back and just boring to start. I think SC has good art direction. It has personality.

SC is over-designed and silly.

I love a lot of the DOA5 outfits. Kasumi's black outfit and yukata outfit, for example, are excellent.

Squire

Banned
SC is over-designed and silly.

I love a lot of the DOA5 outfits. Kasumi's black outfit and yukata outfit, for example, are excellent.

Eh. They're okay. I've always liked SC's art. "Silly" doesn't strike me as a bad thing necessarily, either. I'm also not an artist though, like you, so I imagine there's perspective there I don't have.

It's clear they didn't put their all in DOA5 though. I'm not gonna disown the game (I'm pretty excited about the Vita port), but the pre-release spin about wanting to be taken seriously and the like seems really disengenuod in retrospect. That's disappointing. I haven't gotten that from any other fighter this generation.

Dantis

Eh. They're okay. I've always liked SC's art. "Silly" doesn't strike me as a bad thing necessarily, either. I'm also not an artist though, like you, so I imagine there's perspective there I don't have.

It's clear they didn't put their all in DOA5 though. I'm not gonna disown the game (I'm pretty excited about the Vita port), but the pre-release spin about wanting to be taken seriously and the like seems really disengenuod in retrospect. That's disappointing. I haven't gotten that from any other fighter this generation.

I guess it's just different tastes. Soul Calibur has extremely 'anime' designs, which don't appeal to me. I like things a bit more down to Earth, haha.

I'm probably repeating myself at this point, but DOA5 is exactly what I wanted it to be. I can't think of any way they could have feasibly made it better in my eyes. I have SC5 for the 360 and it just does nothing for me.

Squire

Banned
I'm probably repeating myself at this point, but DOA5 is exactly what I wanted it to be. I can't think of any way they could have feasibly made it better in my eyes. I have SC5 for the 360 and it just does nothing for me.

Well, online that's more than just functional at launch and a DLC scheme that doesn't feel like robbery would've been nice.

I'm not sure I'd call SCV's art "very anime". I think it's very Japanese, but there's more to that culture than just anime. I've never seen an anime that reminded me of SC, myself, but well chalk it up to deferring tastes as you said :p

DR2K

Banned
Wait...SC is overly anime and DoA isn't? What? lol

Honestly DOA5 has lost all the "anime" in it. Visually it's more gritty, characters don't have anything exaggerated outside of you know what, and the effects are incredibly realistc.

Squire

Banned
Honestly DOA5 has lost all the "anime" in it. Visually it's more gritty, characters don't have anything exaggerated outside of you know what, and the effects are incredibly realistc.

Except it leans into the element that dominates the anime market currently: pandering fan-service.

And SC does that, too. It has for the past few games. But with DOA it's overt, it's a focus, it's a selling point, and a lot of the time it's just kinda gross in all honestly.

Remember how SCV had those two magazine ads of Ivy's cleavage and another characters butt? DOA does that in literally every piece of advertising.

DR2K

Banned
Except it leans into the element that dominates the anime market currently: pandering fan-service.

And SC does that, too. It has for the past few games. But with DOA it's overt, it's a focus, it's a selling point, and a lot of the time it's just kinda gross in all honestly.

Remember how SCV had those two magazine ads of Ivy's cleavage and another characters butt? DOA does that in literally every piece of advertising.

Well yes, the fanservice was the you know what, but pretty big titted women are a standard in most western games.

SC5-Ivy-02.jpg
ncdoa5christie_by_naughtyboy83-d4xr7so.jpg

Looking at both character models, Christie generally looks more realistic. Her facial features look less cartoonish. What she's wearing would look normal when zipped up, what Ivy is wearing makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. In fact she looks like a cartoon character.

Dantis

Exactly.

I find most of Soul Calibur's pandering fan service worse. DOA has its share of shit, but I feel like the vanilla game mostly got it together in DOA5 (We're not counting DLC because we're not mentals). SC5 carried on pushing fan service harder in SC5.

Yeah, nothing anime about super-ninjas fighting jelly clones.

Yes. Let us discuss the story of four characters in a fighting game that is known for its terrible story. Art and presentation are irrelevant next to Kasumi's search for Alpha!

Skilletor

Yes. Let us discuss the story of four characters in a fighting game that is for its terrible story. Art and presentation are irrelevant next to Kasumi's search for Alpha!

Well, I guess I just don't see it. The game is anime as fuck. Character designs included. I think SC molly whops DoA in every single category.

I really don't see how you can say "SC is worse" when it comes to fan service when you can only post pictures of Ivy. The dominatrix who has always been a dominatrix. lol What about the other female characters?

Dantis

Well, I guess I just don't see it. The game is anime as fuck. Character designs included. I think SC molly whops DoA in every single category.

I really don't see how you can say "SC is worse" when it comes to fan service when you can only post pictures of Ivy. The dominatrix who has always been a dominatrix. lol What about the other female characters?

I haven't posted any pictures.

The character designs in DOA5 are absolutely not 'anime as fuck'. If you really think that, then you have no idea what you're talking about.

Loona

Yeah, nothing anime about super-ninjas fighting jelly clones.

Then again, that's a bit of a legacy from the previous game(s) in the series - the new characters they've introduced are a bit more grounded, at least (OK, Rig's story is a mess, but "anime" wouldn't be the first word that comes to mind to describe it).

I can't judge SC5's story too clearly since I haven't played through that one specifically, but the quest for an evil sword involving a holy sword and a part-time possessed guy whose armor sort of comes to life on its own power by the evil sword once the possessed guy eventually comes to his senses.
On the sidelines, it has a spandex-wearing ninja with evil-detecting weapons (succeeded by a blonde, when Setsuko already hed that sort of story before), a guy who just wants to get into fights and maybe get the evil sword along the way and a blind deaf mute who somehow managed to travel the word in chase of the sword too without getting himself killed during his trips.
Ivy is almost reasonable compared to some of these, if it weren't for the way they make her look (I like her military-inspired suits, sadly they're never the main outfits).

Skilletor

Then again, that's a bit of a legacy from the previous game(s) in the series - the new characters they've introduced are a bit more grounded, at least (OK, Rig's story is a mess, but "anime" wouldn't be the first word that comes to mind to describe it).

I can't judge SC5's story too clearly since I haven't played through that one specifically, but the quest for an evil sword involving a holy sword and a part-time possessed guy whose armor sort of comes to life on its own power by the evil sword once the possessed guy eventually comes to his senses.
On the sidelines, it has a spandex-wearing ninja with evil-detecting weapons (succeeded by a blonde, when Setsuko already hed that sort of story before), a guy who just wants to get into fights and maybe get the evil sword along the way and a blind deaf mute who somehow managed to travel the word in chase of the sword too without getting himself killed during his trips.
Ivy is almost reasonable compared to some of these, if it weren't for the way they make her look (I like her military-inspired suits, sadly they're never the main outfits).

Oh, I agree. :)

I'm not arguing that SC is any less cliche or anime.

Taki's story has always been about the evil weapons, btw. :p Natsu inherited it from her master.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I can't believe people are arguing about this, lol. Dead Or Alive is just as "anime" as all the other fighting games that come from Japan.

Really, WTF does that even mean? It's your typical Japanese-designed fighting game and all the stereotypical traits are there, from cheesy outfits to purple hair to ridiculous fan service. :p

Skilletor

I can't believe people are arguing about this, lol. Dead Or Alive is just as "anime" as all the other fighting games that come from Japan.

Really, WTF does that even mean? It's your typical Japanese-designed fighting game and all the stereotypical traits are there, from cheesy outfits to purple hair to ridiculous fan service. :p

^

DR2K

Banned

I guess you can see what you want to, but all I'm saying is that DOA5 lacks the anime appeal it formerly had. From the visual effects to the color contrast, to the realistic style of the stages and models. Of course it still has some goofy things, but that's to pander to the fanbase.

Mesharey

I *think* Xbox patch will be released today or they received a date today.

I will add more information if there's any update.

From Team NINJA's last tweet, I used google translate so I'm not really sure.

I guess you can see what you want to, but all I'm saying is that DOA5 lacks the anime appeal it formerly had. From the visual effects to the color contrast, to the realistic style of the stages and models. Of course it still has some goofy things, but that's to pander to the fanbase.

To me, It seems strange to use those two words next to each other.
My love of T&A is greater than my hatred of anime, so I've still enjoyed all the previous DoA games.
The new (and free) Mass Effect 3 multiplayer DLC is coming up in the next few days too. It would be great if the DoA DLC could join it (for 360).
Im not really used to free DLC and now two of my games will (hopefully) be giving it to me, so closely together :)

I just added "Zack Island Stage" (206.39MB) and "Dead or Alive 5 Content Update" (also 206.39MB) to my Xbox queue. Both listed as free.

Curiously enough, all the resent swimwear packs (individual and consolidated) are also 206.39MB. Seems they've really spread the update around, lol.

I just added "Zack Island Stage" (206.39MB) and "Dead or Alive 5 Content Update" (also 206.39MB) to my Xbox queue. Both listed as free.

Curiously enough, all the resent swimwear packs (individual and consolidated) are also 206.39MB. Seems they've really spread the update around, lol.

The new suits are on sale too. The full women's pack is 480 MSP and the men's swimwear is 80 MSP

Been out of the game for a while (little too long for my taste), I'll download the patch (and the rest of the costumes I didn't get) later tonight

The new suits are on sale too. The full women's pack is 480 MSP and the men's swimwear is 80 MSP

I wonder if the new suits are on sale or whether TN have realized the previous DLC was a bit pricey before and have adjusted the asking price accordingly?
Are the new suits comparatively more expensive on PSN?

DR2K

Banned
I wonder if the new suits are on sale or whether TN have realized the previous DLC was a bit pricey before and have adjusted the asking price accordingly?
Are the new suits comparatively more expensive on PSN?

Yup the discount is only because of the delay.

Squire

Banned
Is it just me or do the VF characters not really fit with this? I've tried mostly with Serah and a little with Pai and it feels awful.

I heard someone say you could basically play them the way you would in a VF game and I don't get that. The feel is off. DOA5 feels weighted, which I like, but VF feels lighter, faster and more responsive. I booted into Final Showdown for a bit and the difference is like night and day.

Top Bottom