• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DEATH™;42380166 said:
Actually, 150 is a bit inflated... 50+ chars x 3 swimsuit variants = +150 but they are all the same recolored fundoshis. if you don't count that, it's probably just less than 20, and those are something that you actually see at your local beach...

Again, if it weren't for that unlockable "swimwear", and the all-angle camera, maybe you could argue... but...

It comes down to the DOA girls models being amazing as fuck, and the doa models being pretty shitty overall for the females :p

SC games are all rated T actually...... I know.

Much more covered up and presentable outfit :D
Ivy1p_001.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You know, Bikinis are nice and all... but I have to say, the artistry of the full outfits impresses me much more than the bikinis. Best thing about them, is it's nice to see there's some unlockable in game. Good way to pad out costume selection without having to make any more over-involved stuff.

As far as pervy stuff... eh, no worse than fighting Unknown in Tekken, gratuitious buttshots of Cammy in SSFIV, Whatever-the-ugly stuff goes on with the MK women, or Makoto's stupid outfit in Blazblue. Given the way anime has been going in Japan, I'm kinda happy Team Ninja (dog?) has stuck to just this level of "service, service!".

And for DOA's fighting system... yeah, the idea of being able to counter out of "combos" seems kinda goofy, but the idea that a poorly timed / incorrect counter nets more damage on the opponent seems to work aganist that. It doesn't really seem that much different than Tekken having combos that aren't real combos, VS "Natural Combos" that actually keep the offensive proper. As smoothly as strike offense transfers into throws + stances in DOA for mixup, with the addition of the new Critical Stun "chains" + unholdable stuns, it gives plenty of reasons to fear going for those easy holds all the time.

Not any worse than mashing SFIV's easy DP shortcuts out of link combo attempts, or SPDs between faltering blockstrings. Except this system is applied to the whole cast, not just for the 3 of 4 characters blessed with such reversal options.

DEATH™

I wish Alisa's guest alt looked more like the artwork. The in-game depiction is not that great IMO.

The problem is the artworks are drawn anime-style, whereas the in-game models are made in exaggerated-realistic style. It won't come out exactly the way it's drawn, at least they stayed true to the artwork and didn't change any parts...

sleepykyo

Not any worse than mashing SFIV's easy DP shortcuts out of link combo attempts, or SPDs between faltering blockstrings. Except this system is applied to the whole cast, not just for the 3 of 4 characters blessed with such reversal options.

If the person doesn't drop the link or uses tight block strings, the reversal doesn't come out.
In DOA the reversal option happens, although it might be the wrong one for the situation.

It might not have been the right one but there was still the opportunity for it, where as the opportunity did not exist in SF.

DEATH™;42380403 said:
The problem is the artworks are drawn anime-style, whereas the in-game models are made in exaggerated-realistic style. It won't come out exactly the way it's drawn, at least they stayed true to the artwork and didn't change any parts...
I get that the artist's style doesn't completely jive with the game, but I feel Alisa's guest alt was the only one that really looks off when you compare them. They could of at least made her skin color a bit paler like it was in the drawing, I think that would of made a big difference.

My biggest pet peeve with low holds. If they increase low hold recovery it would make up for it.

So is still does? Wow that is so...why?

Are strings still 90% unsafe? Is it similar to the whole "do you think I'm going to delay my string and guess a 50/50 mixup"

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If the person doesn't drop the link or uses tight block strings, the reversal doesn't come out.
In DOA the reversal option happens, although it might be the wrong one for the situation.

It might not have been the right one but there was still the opportunity for it, where as the opportunity did not exist in SF.

Yeah, that's that's fine. Either way it's a gamble, and the SF options, assuming opponent is on full offensive, is 100%. In DOA, at least you have 1 of 4 holds to attempt, and the wrong one really can lead to solid damage.

I'm fully aware they're not the SAME situation, but I'm saying they're not fundamantally that different now, with the addition of FADC, and ultras. Maybe in an old SF, that'd just be, say, a Jab DP. Big deal, they get one hit. Now that one mistake can cost you the whole match.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DEATH™;42380403 said:

It would look like soul calibur. Which I still think has the best 3d art style save for ivy

DR2K

Banned
So is still does? Wow that is so...why?

Are strings still 90% unsafe? Is it similar to the whole "do you think I'm going to delay my string and guess a 50/50 mixup"

*shrug* Don't know.

Not for the VF characters, they get advantage off of everything, but they can't really string delay. Most moves are unsafe, but some characters have frame advantage on block, guard breaks, etc. . .

*shrug* Don't know.

Not for the VF characters, they get advantage off of everything, but they can't really string delay. Most moves are unsafe, but some characters have frame advantage on block, guard breaks, etc. . .

I just hope to dear god that it literally doesn't become a game where its "well I'm committed to my string now and I have to guess mid or low hold counters all day while you have to guess if I delay my strings"

I already accepted the fact that holds while in hitstun are in the game but low holds ducking highs is just...why?

patapuf

Holds don't do a lot of damage in DOA5 and you take a lot of damage if guess your hold wrong. That's going to prevent a lot of spamming. I see it mainly as a tool that forces mixups.

I vastly prefer holds to supers as a comeback mechanic.

DR2K

Banned
I just hope to dear god that it literally doesn't become a game where its "well I'm committed to my string now and I have to guess mid or low hold counters all day while you have to guess if I delay my strings"

I already accepted the fact that holds while in hitstun are in the game but low holds ducking highs is just...why?

I figure it's in because most strings go mid.

Not all hitstun. There are natural combos in this game as well.

Holds don't do a lot of damage in DOA5 and you take a lot of damage if guess your hold wrong. That's going to prevent a lot of spamming. I see it mainly as a tool that forces mixups.

I vastly prefer holds to supers as a comeback mechanic.

what? If you're talking about ultras then I have no experience in that. I never really got into SF4 (3s for life).

But if you're talking about supers in general then I would have to strongly disagree.

Not all hitstun. There are natural combos in this game as well.

Ok, atleast I feel a little better about this now.

sleepykyo

Yeah, that's that's fine. Either way it's a gamble, and the SF options, assuming opponent is on full offensive, is 100%. In DOA, at least you have 1 of 4 holds to attempt, and the wrong one really can lead to solid damage.

I'm fully aware they're not the SAME situation, but I'm saying they're not fundamantally that different now, with the addition of FADC, and ultras. Maybe in an old SF, that'd just be, say, a Jab DP. Big deal, they get one hit. Now that one mistake can cost you the whole match.

They're extremely different. The SF4 reversal catches 100% of screw ups but has a 0% chance of coming out. The defender literally has no response.

In DOA you'll get your opportunity to respond to every hit until the juggle/critical burst. An opportunity that does not exist in SF, VF, etc.

They've done a lot to tilt the guessing game toward attacker (compared to previous iterations of DOA) but it is still there and that is the fundamental difference.

patapuf

what? If you're talking about ultras then I have no experience in that. I never really got into SF4 (3s for life).

But if you're talking about supers in general then I would have to strongly disagree.

It's just preference, but i've always strongly disliked meters and supers in pretty much all fighting games i've played.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

I'd guess this too. Mids lead to more damage too, because most pop-up for floats start mid.

Low Holds are also countered by low throws still, I'd assume, which I always found great. Barely have any reason to land a low throw in TTT2, since low-parry and hop attacks are so strong, I don't find people ducking often.

I normally feel I get more out of my DOA movelist, than I have out of Tekken. About equal to Soul Calibur. Though I feel VF gives more freedom for originality (but that might be because I play Vanessa, who plays like 2 different characters in 1...)

They're extremely different. The SF4 reversal catches 100% of screw ups but has a 0% chance of coming out. The defender literally has no response.

In DOA you'll get your opportunity to respond to every hit until the juggle/critical burst. An opportunity that does not exist in SF, VF, etc.

They've done a lot to tilt the guessing game toward attacker (compared to previous iterations of DOA) but it is still there and that is the fundamental difference.

The difference when comparing the 2 is extremly different, but when you take the situations over the course of an entire match?

Fighting games are always about mind games, DOA just shifts the place where you play those games, often into mid combo, rather than at the end of a safe string.

I like the fact that it's a universal things in DOA also, rather than character specific. I always thought it felt like a moment in a Jackie Chan movie; even when he's getting beat up, he's constantly searching for a way to turn the tide. If he gets that chance, then things shift very quickly.

I'm happy with the overall shift to attacker, though. WHen counters are too strong, and you end up doing more with it, than the combo-starter could have done, it is pretty silly. But with Power blows, and increase damage on the counter-initiator, I think it has a nice balance now. And I hope it meets those expectations once I actually get to play the game!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Is that the Lotus Juice one? The one from the Declaration trailer?

Lotus Juice has 2 songs and its not the one from the Declaration Trailer.
If Music desciption to someone counts as a spoiler

To describe it starts like a pop song with a HanaH (Yes the last H is no Typo) then rap comes in and then back to HanaH then rap again then mix and then HanaH pulls out a Beyonce. At first I wasn't sold on the song(I don't like rap for most of the part) but I ended up listening the song around 10-12 times last night.

Dantis

Lotus Juice has 2 songs and its not the one from the Declaration Trailer.
If Music desciption to someone counts as a spoiler

To describe it starts like a pop song with a HanaH (Yes the last H is no Typo) then rap comes in and then back to HanaH then rap again then mix and then HanaH pulls out a Beyonce. At first I wasn't sold on the song(I don't like rap for most of the part) but I ended up listening the song around 10-12 times last night.

Just listened to it. It's fine, but I don't love it. I was hoping for something a bit faster. You say he has more than one song in the game? Maybe the other is a bit more pacey.

Should have pulled in Shoji Meguro to do the theme song. >_>

Vazra

Just listened to it. It's fine, but I don't love it. I was hoping for something a bit faster. You say he has more than one song in the game? Maybe the other is a bit more pacey.

Should have pulled in Shoji Meguro to do the theme song. >_>

On the credits I saw 2 credited to him.

Dantis

Aaah, I didn't watch the credits video, I just loaded it up and switched tab, for fear of spoilers. :p

I guess I'll just have to wait until somebody uploads the OST to Youtube, or worse case scenario, for my copy to arrive in a week.

An agonising, boring week.

Loona

Possibly silly question: I heard very good things about VF5FS's in-game tutorials - would enough of it apply to DoA5 to be worth getting as well, considering it's been well over a decade since I played a DoA game?
Or does DoA5 have some tutorial mode of its own that does a decent job at teaching the game?

I figure there's only so much one can pick up by reading stuff or watching videos online as far as learning to think about the game goes.

Vazra

Possibly silly question: I heard very good things about VF5FS's in-game tutorials - would enough of it apply to DoA5 to be worth getting as well, considering it's been well over a decade since I played a DoA game?
Or does DoA5 have some tutorial mode of its own that does a decent job at teaching the game?

I figure there's only so much one can pick up by reading stuff or watching videos online as far as learning to think about the game goes.

There is tutorials in the story mode and there are tons of settings on training that you can work it.

BadWolf

Watching some tutorial vids and high level matches online while trying stuff yourself in real matches is usually the best way to pick up a character in any fighting game imo. Can't say I've ever relied on in game tutorials to teach me much.

Endo Punk

So how does the story mode work, is it like Mortal Kombat or just traditional arcade mode? MK9 has definitely raised my expectation for story mode in fighters. Course the main draw of fighting games will always be competitive play but Im not a tournament player yet have enjoyed fighters since Champion Edition and I loves me those character endings and SP content/modes :D

patapuf

So how does the story mode work, is it like Mortal Kombat or just traditional arcade mode? MK9 has definitely raised my expectation for story mode in fighters. Course the main draw of fighting games will always be competitive play but Im not a tournament player yet have enjoyed fighters since Champion Edition and I loves me those character endings and SP content/modes :D

it's more like MK, i don't think there is any story to the arcade mode.

you can watch the beginning of the story mode here

Top Bottom