• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So how does the story mode work, is it like Mortal Kombat or just traditional arcade mode? MK9 has definitely raised my expectation for story mode in fighters. Course the main draw of fighting games will always be competitive play but Im not a tournament player yet have enjoyed fighters since Champion Edition and I loves me those character endings and SP content/modes :D

its kinda like Mortal Kombat.

Cutscene>fight>cutscene>fight.

takes around 2-3 hours to beat.

EDIT: Beaten.

Dany

Banned
it's more like MK, i don't think there is any story to the arcade mode.

Wait really? The structure of the story isn't select a character and play 7 battles, get an CG ending and do it again?

EDIT: wow, this is the first time im hearing this. I always do sparring mode before I start a story for a character. Weird.

tsab

So how does the story mode work, is it like Mortal Kombat or just traditional arcade mode? MK9 has definitely raised my expectation for story mode in fighters. Course the main draw of fighting games will always be competitive play but Im not a tournament player yet have enjoyed fighters since Champion Edition and I loves me those character endings and SP content/modes :D

The story mode for me is uninteresting(a few laughs here and there). You'll play it for the fights, I am halfway through but didn't enjoy it like MK's.

Wait really? The structure of the story isn't select a character and play 7 battles, get an CG ending and do it again?

EDIT: wow, this is the first time im hearing this. I always do sparring mode before I start a story for a character. Weird.

No character selection for story. Arcade mode doesn't have CG ending btw.

Loona

From what I've spoiled myself so far, it's a linear sequence of cutscenes with some 1-round fights along the way. Controlled characters change throughout, but some, if not all, seem to have their own chapters where you control only them, and these are unlocked as you proceed.
During the story mode fights you get mini-challanges like the ones in KoF's arcade mode, but you only get 1 per fight - the first ones are things like "hit with a punch 5 times" or "block 5 times" and the difficulty increases as you advance, but I don't know yet what the challenges look like by the end of the whole thing.

I guess it's like MK and KoF XIII mashed together with DoA's own brand of plot craziness and excuses to get into a fight.

They seem to have created some nice set pieces to take advantage of this tough - the characters you use are pre-selected, and so are the outfits the characters use, so you have things like the last Kokoro fight in her chapter where she's using her kimono and practicing her katas in the stage with the pink cherry blossoms, things that look good together
at which point Akira appears and does his own katas, and a fight ensues

Vazra

That's good to know but will each character have an ending video?
Nope

From what I've spoiled myself so far, it's a linear sequence of cutscenes with some 1-round fights along the way. Controlled characters change throughout, but some, if not all, seem to have their own chapters where you control only them, and these are unlocked as you proceed.
During the story mode fights you get mini-challanges like the ones in KoF's arcade mode, but you only get 1 per fight - the first ones are things like "hit with a punch 5 times" or "block 5 times" and the difficulty increases as you advance, but I don't know yet what the challenges look like by the end of the whole thing.

I guess it's like MK and KoF XIII mashed together with DoA's own brand of plot craziness and excuses to get into a fight.

They seem to have created some nice set pieces to take advantage of this tough - the characters you use are pre-selected, and so are the outfits the characters use, so you have things like the last Kokoro fight in her chapter where she's using her kimono and practicing her katas in the stage with the pink chetty blossoms, things that look good together
at which point Akira appears and does his own katas, and a fight ensues

I saw most of the story and there are some funny moments, some cool moments and some ehh moments. Expected stuff and tons of silly things. I do like the ending.

Skilletor

Do highs in this tend to have better frame data than mids- this is generally the case in VF.

That's hard to say. Frame data in DoA has typically been very poor...think SC4 where pretty much everything is at disadvantage. The only game where there was some advantage was DoA3.1, and I don't remember enough about that game to say.

zlatko

Banned
Zeph's worries are fair ones I think. I have nieces who are often trying to sneak a peek at what I'm playing and I have to tell them to go away. I have no posters in my room for anything or some hentai collection, but I do feel a bit "bleh" if they were to catch a peek of the girls in swimsuits.

Zeph you should put a piece of paper on the door and write a warning for people. "Warning: Playing a fighting game that has lots of sexuality. Don't judge me."

Loona

I don't think I've seen this covered so far (haven't played the earlier games that had it either): for tag matches, are those lost if you lose a single character or both? (hoping for the latter)

Loona

It's always been both before.

Excellent - I'm generally not a fan of that sort of mode (although I love it when there are team-specific moves), especially when it means sacrificing the whole match by being forced to usse a character I'm less comfortable with.
SFxT being a tag-based game bothered me a lot more than the gems, frankly.

I wonder of all possible team attacks are unique to each possible pairing - some seem natural to have as uniques, like Bass/Tina and Tina/La Mariposa, but I wonder about characters with nothing in common between them.

Then again, I don't even know if there's a universal command for this sort of attack, or if they're character-specific.

Skilletor

Excellent - I'm generally not a fan of that sort of mode (although I love it when there are team-specific moves), especially when it means sacrificing the whole match by being forced to usse a character I'm less comfortable with.

I wonder of all possible team attacks are unique to each possible pairing - some seem natural to have as uniques, like Bass/Tina and Tina/La Mariposa, but I wonder about characters with nothing in common between them.

Then again, I don't even know if there's a universal command for this sort of attack, or if they're character-specific.

There's lots of this. :)

DoA tag throws are amazingly awesome and fun.

Zeph's worries are fair ones I think. I have nieces who are often trying to sneak a peek at what I'm playing and I have to tell them to go away. I have no posters in my room for anything or some hentai collection, but I do feel a bit "bleh" if they were to catch a peek of the girls in swimsuits.

Zeph you should put a piece of paper on the door and write a warning for people. "Warning: Playing a fighting game that has lots of sexuality. Don't judge me."

Just have a few extra controllers and let them play with you, more likely they won't make a huge thing of it once they get to play the game.

Here is a lot From DOA4 http://youtu.be/sdttKVIxTxI
DOA5 from what we've seen seems to have a good amount too. But we need more tag footage to see if its about the same amount, less or more than 4

xion4360

Really? Wow, that is disappointing. No CG ending...that is seriously deflating :(

I understand this is your preference/opinion. But honestly a few rounds of battle with an irrelevant CG cutscene is far less interesting to me than a follow through plot. Even if some of it is fluff, its still much more story content.

In DOA4 any scene that had multiple characters (and by the way thats every scene except the ending) is repeated when you play with any of the other characters in the scene. Really there is very little in the way of cutscenes and the endings are 90% pointless. At least DOA5 has a much longer story, with far more scenes that dont just repeat with other characters.

I will never understand why some people prefer 1 CG cutscene over a long movie with fights in between for a story mode, but to each his own.

There is a large number of tag throws in the game with all combinations of characters from natural relation to none at all. There is also a generic throw for every other combination. (basically your character throws the enemy towards the partner and he performs one of his throws)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Story modes in fighting games are a means to unlocking stuff for me. Nothing more.

That's what I thought too before MK9. It's not brilliant storytelling, pretty trite actually, but entertaining as hell and a surprisingly good way to experience playing many of the characters.

alstein

That's what I thought too before MK9. It's not brilliant storytelling, pretty trite actually, but entertaining as hell and a surprisingly good way to experience playing many of the characters.

Story modes can be good, but it's a lot of effort- effort that could probably be spent on something making the core experience better. Also, making good stories isn't something most FG devs are good at.

I'd rather have a ton of awesome outfits over a story mode.

Vazra

Story modes can be good, but it's a lot of effort- effort that could probably be spent on something making the core experience better. Also, making good stories isn't something most FG devs are good at.

I'd rather have a ton of awesome outfits over a story mode.

about the outfits...

dreamfall

I kind of wish it was an MK-ish inspired Story mode + Endings for each character in Arcade. Not a big deal, but it would've been a nice touch. Unlocking those outfits will be awesome!

JohnTonne

Hoping for a list of the Tag throws. Helena usually gets the short end of the stick, I was kinda surprised she didn't have one with Kokoro in DOA4.

Vazra

How do you get these swimsuits? Are these the unlockables? The DLC ones look different. I really dig that Ayane one :eek:

the chances of actually unlocking those costumes upon encountering and defeating them in that costume are 30%(On Legendary Difficulty I think) So hard to get em.

EDIT:
String... NSFW

the chances of actually unlocking those costumes upon encountering and defeating them in that costume are 30%(On Legendary Difficulty I think) So hard to get em.

EDIT:
String... NSFW
What the fuck is Team Ninja doing here?!

Ptyzk.jpg

Thai

Bane was better.
Three swimsuits per gal, right?

I need to see the other two for Sarah before I decide which to FAP to first.

Squire

Banned
am i right assuming that kasumi's super rare costume ist that sunflower dress?

I hope not. I really like that one. It isn't a swimsuit, but then they may not all be. They could just be "rare" costumes. Not all of them need to be s/suits. (Not that I'd complain.)

Vazra

I believe all the rare ones are swimsuits but we'll see maybe someone else can confirm if its rare or not.

Top Bottom