• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Skilletor

Well, you seem to be one of the few here with the problem. Sorry?

It's running like butter for me now. I hiccup or two at the start, but it's just . . . smooth.

Seems like I have different expectations. Two people have said it's worse than DoA4, but it's still good. lol.

But whatever, I'm done. Not going to keep repeating myself.

DR2K

Banned
Seems like I have different expectations. Two people have said it's worse than DoA4, but it's still good. lol.

It worse than DOA4 in the bad matches, just the way it handles lag. When it's good, it's just as good. This is why I said it's overall worse.

Galdelico

Just out of curiosity, since you were one of the most enthusiastic people here, waiting for DoA5: did your online experience basically ruin the game for you?

Skilletor

Anyway. Who is everybody digging?

I'm loving Tina. 8p is amazing. On normal hit, free grab. On CH? sitdown stun. In juggle, free ground grab. Overall her strikes are amazing, and then she has sick ass throws that make you afraid to counter.

<3 Her. Loving her so much I don't even want to play Rig.

Just out of curiosity, since you were one on the most enthusiastic people here, waiting for DoA5: did your online experience basically ruined the game for you?

No, but it put quite the damper. I love this series. I was looking forward to playing lots of people, but that's not going to happen. I do have a local scene with a few people who play, so there's that. And I'm sure I'll find a few people I have a good connection with.

I think this will end up the best game in the series, I just hate that I won't be able to play it with a lot of people. :(

just picked up my 360 collectors edition and it's about twice as big as i expected. not sure how i'm going to fit this on my shelf... the art book is really nice. mainly i got it because my wife heard the word 'bikinis' and told me i had to.

stuck doing some OT tonight before i can get home to play this with her, but should be good fun.

Yuripaw

Banned
just picked up my 360 collectors edition and it's about twice as big as i expected. not sure how i'm going to fit this on my shelf... the art book is really nice. mainly i got it because my wife heard the word 'bikinis' and told me i had to.

stuck doing some OT tonight before i can get home to play this with her, but should be good fun.

suuuurrreeee...your wife wanted the bikinis, and not you. lol ^_^

i kid...im getting the CE cuz I want the bikinis too, lol

Galdelico

No, but it put quite the damper. I love this series. I was looking forward to playing lots of people, but that's not going to happen. I do have a local scene with a few people who play, so there's that. And I'm sure I'll find a few people I have a good connection with.

I think this will end up the best game in the series, I just hate that I won't be able to play it with a lot of people. :(
Fair enough, but I'm still glad you are enjoying the game and think it can turn out to be the pinnacle in the whole series.

I found myself to share similar feelings to yours, during these months, so I feared the inconsistent online experiece could be game-breaking, after having read your hands-on comments.

Skilletor

Fair enough, but I'm still glad you are enjoying the game and think it can turn out to be the pinnacle in the whole series.

I found myself to share similar feelings to yours, during these months, so I feared the inconsistent online experiece could be game-breaking, after having read your hands-on comments.

I never thought to worry about online, since the series has been great about that since Xbox. :(

But bad online doesn't change the fact that I think this game is amazing. :D

I'm having a lot of fun. Having a gathering at my place this weekend and hope to get some matches uploaded. :)

suuuurrreeee...your wife wanted the bikinis, and not you. lol ^_^

i kid...im getting the CE cuz I want the bikinis too, lol
i enjoy the series, but not nearly as much as my wife does. most of what i like about it is that it's actually a game we can have fun playing together, which is something that only tends to come along every few years. DOA4 is one of her all time favourites. she calls it the 'jiggly game' and her favourite thing to do after crushing me or any of my friends who thought they were good at the game was to zoom in on La Mariposa's chest during her victory celebration.

she was a complete savant at the game. it was amazing to see her completely dismantle people that take fighters very seriously that had practiced characters. her button mashing instincts seemed to be the right response 90% of the time.

i'm not expecting her to still have that ability in this one, but i'm secretly hoping she does, because it was spectacular watching people humbled by her time and again. 'How do you keep throwing me every single time i hit counter?' and she'd just bat her eyes and go 'There's a counter button?'

Galdelico

I never thought to worry about online, since the series has been great about that since Xbox. :(

I'm having a lot of fun. Having a gathering at my place this weekend and hope to get some matches uploaded. :)
Looking forward to watch them, especially since I'll have to wait til next wed in order to put my hands on the game.

hwalker84

Just picked up the CE on my break and yes the damn thing is MASSIVE. When the gamestop lady said she had to go into the back and get them because they're huge she wasn't kidding.

Skilletor

I'm playing Master Thespian right now. We have a good connection in SC5 and TTT2. There's this weird freeze that happens on top of the constant feeling that the game is running around 45fps. It's terrible.

This is at 3bars.

This would be completely playable if not for the random hitches. It's really weird. :(

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Got back from GS. :D
euaaK.jpg

Dantis

I'm playing Master Thespian right now. We have a good connection in SC5 and TTT2. There's this weird freeze that happens on top of the constant feeling that the game is running around 45fps. It's terrible.

This is at 3bars.

This would be completely playable if not for the random hitches. It's really weird. :(

Tried turning off Throwdown? I've heard from a lot of places that works.

dentoomw

Don't have the game yet but here's an odd question - what happened to Tina's idle stance? Earlier preview videos showed her having a new "relaxed" stance with her arms and hands down by her sides, but newer ones show her in her classic hands up stance.

I really liked her newer stance so just wondering if thats still in there.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Don't have the game yet but here's an odd question - what happened to Tina's idle stance? Earlier preview videos showed her having a new "relaxed" stance with her arms and hands down by her sides, but newer ones show her in her classic hands up stance.

Now that you mention it, I have noticed a difference. I guess I'll be finding out today. If for some reason somebody doesn't answer you by then, I'll PM you ;)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sanctuary stage = WET T-SHIRT TIEM.

(Though it looks like the cloth physics/textures/whatever don't have per-area splashing. If you get wet the entire shirt gets wet instead of where splashed. Not that sure why I was expecting like "real-life" water splashing ability but there you go. :/)

Net code aside, I think there needs to be a Gaf list of people who want to play with other Gaffers

Anyone up for that?

I'm going to assume that's why we have the PSN and live list in the OP. If you want to play with one of them, look at the list, and send a friend request. We also have a little tournament this Saturday in which the winner will get a $10 amazon gift card or PSN code.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I think everyone's idle stance changes over time. If you literally don't move the character for a few seconds, they switch. This will pretty much never happen in a real match, though, so you probably haven't seen it.

DirtyLary

Just got the game at Best Buy. I can confirm they are honoring the free Prima Guide with purchase. Guide even has a 16 month calendar attached.

Skilletor

She still has it, but she has to be idle for a few seconds, so you'll rarely see it in a match.

DirtyLary

Cool...mainly concerned about characters...but Tina related stuff would be great.

Tina has 7 outfits. ( does not include DLC or pre-order bonuses)

To unlock her swimsuit - Clear the Legend Course ( solo match ) in Arcade Mode with Tina, without using a continue.

Endo Punk

The game is getting decent enough scores. I'm still getting it day 1 this Friday. Cannot wait. 10 years man 10 years since I bought a DOA. Like Twisted Metal earlier the nostalgia is too much here.

Dantis

The game is getting decent enough scores. I'm still getting it day 1 this Friday. Cannot wait. 10 years man 10 years since I bought a DOA. Like Twisted Metal earlier the nostalgia is too much here.

Yeah. I feel the same way. I played a ton of DOA U and 4 online, but I've put a ton of hours into the offline also. Super pumped.

Grisby

Is the dlc and preorder bonuses up for the PS3 US? Was about to pop in the game in a minute and didn't want to screw up using my codes or something.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is the dlc and preorder bonuses up for the PS3 US? Was about to pop in the game in a minute and didn't want to screw up using my codes or something.

Yes. Store isn't updated but the DOA5 content is there.

Squire

Banned

Going multiplatform hurt it I bet. They couldn't just focus on one network and the 360 wasn't even the lead when, to be honest, it should have been just off the strength that's been the team's main platform for years. "Graphics, textures, yada yada" I know, but none of that matters in the long run. And they probably lost a couple of the guys who worked on the online for the other games when Itagaki left.

Top Bottom