• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm a competitive player and I think it feels like ass. I'm also a huge DoA fan.

TTT2, SC5 have amazing netcode. I can count the number of matches I'd consider unplayable on one hand. This netcode is comparable to KoF13. Feels good on a great connection and terrible on everything else.

Oh damn. :/

Point taken.

I think it's to early to grab the pitchforks though.

Things can only get better.

That's what they said about KOF XII.

But hey, Tekken 6 did improve after a major patch.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The only company I would accept bad netcode and still buy is SNK, and I got VF and Tekken for my 3d fix.

I'm waiting for bomba (which will happen) or may just say no sale.
I might even buy Guilty Gear instead, and I've never liked GG.
You're a good man.

Number of playable DOA5 matches 24/25, number of playable KoF13 matches 0/20.
=/

Asriel

I've been doing some ranked matchs. Maybe 20 or so?

I've gotten any recognizable lag at the max 4 times or so. Just putting that out there.

And enough Hayates!

Skilletor

Do you notice a difference between the two and how many bars do you and the people you're playing against have?

Ranked doesn't show connection, doesn't show DC ratio, doesn't show who you're playing until the character select screen, so it's impossible to tell. lololol.

I will try some lobbies later today.

Skilletor

Definitely since my win streak is at a 100%, I can play just fine. I do see some faults and I'm not blind to input lag here and there, but I'm playing just fine.

I haven't lost a match yet? Don't get your point playing random online scrubs. /shrug

zlatko

Banned
Oh damn. :/

That's what they said about KOF XII.

But hey, Tekken 6 did improve after a major patch.

Went from dog shit, to ass. That code is still balls. Isn't T6 the game where if you or your opponent hit too many buttons too fast it bugs out the game and d/cs you guys?

Sucks that the game came out with butt net code. If they do miracle fix it later on, I'm aboard, but I can't drop 60 bucks on something none of my friends are picking up and I'd be subjected to ass net code through ranked matches.

Yuripaw

Banned
How is the single player content for the game? I'm not very good at fighting games, and probably wouldn't wanna play it online too much because I just get angry. Is there enough modes, and reasons to replay single player with this game to warrant a purchase?

Dantis

How is the single player content for the game? I'm not very good at fighting games, and probably wouldn't wanna play it online too much because I just get angry. Is there enough modes, and reasons to replay single player with this game to warrant a purchase?

There's a story mode, but it's reasonably short. There's a good amount of unlockable costumes though.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

3 hour story mode.
Arcade
Survivor
Time Attack
Training mode
Vs Single or Tag.

unlockable costumes

Its pretty decent but not touching new grounds in modes.

alstein

Went from dog shit, to ass. That code is still balls. Isn't T6 the game where if you or your opponent hit too many buttons too fast it bugs out the game and d/cs you guys?

Sucks that the game came out with butt net code. If they do miracle fix it later on, I'm aboard, but I can't drop 60 bucks on something none of my friends are picking up and I'd be subjected to ass net code through ranked matches.

That worked in SC5 as well, though it took hitting multiple buttons on turbo.

I can't see DOA5 surviving with this netcode in today's climate- it had an uphill battle due to VF and Tekken to begin with.

DR2K

Banned
I haven't lost a match yet? Don't get your point playing random online scrubs. /shrug

My general experience has been very smooth, but it varies, it's adjustable enough is my point.

It's reminds me more of DOA4 netcode, slightly worse than it though. It's not up to par with TTT2 netcode wise, but matchmaking it is quicker. Options and mode wise it there's more to it as well.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Seeing the differing netcode in some games really makes me wonder how netcode is developed and how it actually works. Why are some companies able to get it while others seem to have issues with it?

If it works for one game, why wouldn't it work for another?

Skilletor

My general experience has been very smooth, but it varies, it's adjustable enough is my point.

It's reminds me more of DOA4 netcode, slightly worse than it though. It's not up to par with TTT2 netcode wise, but matchmaking it is quicker. Options and mode wise it there's more to it as well.

Then we have different standards. Worse than DoA4 is not acceptable.

mr stroke

Picked up my copy, had to endure the register biscuit at Gamestop sneering about the pre-order bikinis. Why don't I just buy everything from Amazon again?

I would agree except for the fact I jut realized Amazon isn't doing release day shipping with Prime anymore, no I have to wait until Friday for this game :/

Asriel

[Clark Gable];42527009 said:
Input lag has always been a given in DOA Online, but in DOA5 is literally like you are playing in slow motion. Also the framerate drops which is totally unacceptable. DOA4 is just an overall better product, much smoother. Team Ninja is a fucking mess without Itagaki. Hayashi is such a fuck up.

It's the best game in the series, IMO.

LowParry

If that is the case, eeeeesh. Might be best to wait it out and see if Team Ninja puts out any patch work to give it some improvement.

Well, guess there's only one way to see how online is and that's to judge it when I pick up the game at 7pm. DOA4 did lag at times for me only when I played against a 1 bar person but was playable. If it's like that, I'm fine with it. I'll just play against people who have 3 bars or more, mainly people on the east coast.

kyo27

I would agree except for the fact I jut realized Amazon isn't doing release day shipping with Prime anymore, no I have to wait until Friday for this game :/

You mean they don't offer release day shipping if you don't order it on time right? Because I have prime and I still have the release date shipping option with Prime on all preorders.

vocab

Seeing the differing netcode in some games really makes me wonder how netcode is developed and how it actually works. Why are some companies able to get it while others seem to have issues with it?

If it works for one game, why wouldn't it work for another?

I'm on my phone so I can't offer the best possible answer, but devs use different networking techniques to mask lag. Online will always have latency, but at the cost of something, the experience can be made enjoyable regardless of latency. Some of these techniques are implemented poorly on console due to the limited number of packets used during transfer, and can cause a bottleneck between system, and network resources. This all depends on the engine as well.

Tomat

I'm on my phone so I can't offer the best possible answer, but devs use different networking techniques to mask lag. Online will always have latency, but at the cost of something, the experience can be made enjoyable regardless of latency. Some of these techniques are implemented poorly on console due to the limited number of packets used during transfer, and can cause a bottleneck between system, and network resources. This all depends on the engine as well.
Interesting, thanks!

I'm assuming it's an engine sort of deal. Might help if the industry sets some sort of standard of netcode for 2D and 3D fighting games (although maybe not if it has to be different for each engine).

Tomat

Watching the PeacefulJay stream and I have to say the sound effects are great. It sounds like a kung-fu movie. Even the sound effects from the environment sound good.

If he's doing simple/ranked matches he's doing it wrong. That's matchmaking him to the fastest connection/person it can. Lobbies will give you a server browser or allow you to create a room on your own terms. He should do that instead.

I don't think any of the previous DOA's did it, so I wouldn't count on DOA5 to do it either. But why not try it for yourself? Worse case scenario: You have to play round-robin in tag mode.
I'll only pick it up if it's 4 player, though.
I think one of the reviews mentioned local 4-player tag matches were possible.

Cool, thanks.

vocab

Interesting, thanks!

I'm assuming it's an engine sort of deal. Might help if the industry sets some sort of standard of netcode for 2D and 3D fighting games (although maybe not if it has to be different for each engine).

At this point, it is really depends how much devs value online play in their game.

MK9 focused on a story mode.
KOF13 focused on the gameplay/character sprites.

Of course a company like ASW comes a long, and values all of that stuff. However, they don't get the credit they deserve because fgc treats anime games like they aren't worth a damn.

The funny thing is that Capcom is really behind in online play. None of their games are acceptable to me. UMVC3 is unplayable(at least to me). SFIV and all its sequels are average (vanilla was horrible due to the technical issues). SFXT was a step in a the right direction, but it came with mixed results.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
All this bitching about netcode really makes me scratch my head. It really depends on your connection to the opponent more than anything, just like any other fighter. I've had some decent games, I've had some poor games. Just like most any 2D or 3D fighter I've tried.

It's NO WHERE near broke like SNK/Suckmore netcode (Fersis am cry) nor Juggle 6's or the OG X-box GG:XX:TMC:#R. Is it below DOA4's? Yeah, in the fact that it doesn't slow the game down in lag. But is it broken? No, I don't think so.

However the online does need tweaking in being able to see the connections outside of player matches and being able to decline matches based on connections. They really dropped the ball in that aspect of the online.

vocab

It really depends on your connection to the opponent more than anything,

Damn right it does. That's why I take impressiosn with a grain of salt. People don't understand how peer 2 peer works. They expect perfection when it is physically impossible. A persons experince may be totally different based on who you got matched up with, and the kind of connection they got.

Guy 1: Plays 20 games. All great connections. Guy1: The netcode is great!
Guy2: Plays 20 games. All wireless connections with 50-80% packet loss. The netcode in this games ass. Don't buy this shit. Mk9 levels yo.

Mk9 sucked because the match making WAS barely functional. I played maybe 5 ranked games. And that took a total of 1 hour to find 5 of those games. I just played in the lobby places, and had more fun. Those king of the hill games were clearly a sign of the system not being able to handle it. When I had a great connection, it was great. I actually hit 40-50% combos all the time no problem.

Anyway, I have to go out, but when I get back I will try the online asap.

Sora_N

I'd argue this point. Each character is between one and two hours, and they're all the same story except for two of them.

They're also tremendously boring, and I'm a really, really big Persona fan.

That's what I was afraid of for P4A, and I didn't pick it up for now (also due to lack of $).

vocab

The lobby in peaceful jays stream is super fast. The wait time between matches are insanely short. 2-4 sec countdown? Fuck ya.

Skilletor

All this bitching about netcode really makes me scratch my head. It really depends on your connection to the opponent more than anything, just like any other fighter. I've had some decent games, I've had some poor games. Just like most any 2D or 3D fighter I've tried.

It's NO WHERE near broke like SNK/Suckmore netcode (Fersis am cry) nor Juggle 6's or the OG X-box GG:XX:TMC:#R. Is it below DOA4's? Yeah, in the fact that it doesn't slow the game down in lag. But is it broken? No, I don't think so.

However the online does need tweaking in being able to see the connections outside of player matches and being able to decline matches based on connections. They really dropped the ball in that aspect of the online.

I dunno, how about because I have a near flawless experience with TTT2 and SC5? Because SF4 plays amazing online?

DoA doesn't live in a vacuum. I'm comparing my experience to other games. It being WORSE than a 7 year old game is hardly acceptable to me.

Asriel

I dunno, how about because I have a near flawless experience with TTT2 and SC5? Because SF4 plays amazing online?

DoA doesn't live in a vacuum. It being WORSE than a 7 year old game is hardly acceptable to me.

Well, you seem to be one of the few here with the problem. Sorry?

It's running like butter for me now. I hiccup or two at the start, but it's just . . . smooth.

Top Bottom