• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

zlatko

Banned
That and stream monsters have a harder time getting hyped over 3D fighters since they lack the crazy super meters for epic come backs.

vocab

I'm stilling waiting for ups.

I already know that Rap song in the online menus is gonna drive me up the fucking wall. Why the fuck does japan do this crap? Did they learn nothing from indestructible?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Surely there is an alternate way to get the move demo to play in training mode other than hitting R3, yes? Because there is no R3 button on my stick.

Sayah

I will try to get this in a month's time as I originally planned. Really sad to hear that you can't reject matches or see connection quality.
Man, the stream monsters really hate this game.

Because Marvel fanboys are the worst kind and they pretty much dominate stream viewing.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
360 copy got delivered to me at work...a co-worker saw the box and went "BOIIIIING" really loud as he walked by, LOL.

Will pick up the PS3 CE after work.

I went against my better judgement and went ahead and picked this up today. The game feels good for the most part (counters from stun are still handled in a retarded way). I *love* the movement. I like how okizeme is handled. The new additions are fun and satisfying but they don't overwhelm the core gameplay.

But for the love of all that's holy, this netcode is TURRBLE. I played Skilletor, a guy who I had essentially flawless matches with in TTT2, for around 10 matches or so and only two of them even barely resembled real matches. The others alternated between flawless performance with the hardest lag spikes I've ever seen and the game slowing down to an absolute crawl. We both have the game installed and are on wired high speed connections. We turned off all notifications from XBOX and those from DOA itself, turned off throwdowns, turned off all effects, and even played on the Tatami stage. It didn't matter.

When you play a character like Bass, you depend on catching very infrequent openings to deal massive damage. I couldn't do SHIT. Punishment was out. Ground throws were out. Combo throws were out. Any non-string based juggle was out. All of these things depend on precise timing that was completely ruined. How the netcode is worse than DOA4's I fail to understand.

I'm so heartbroken right now.

Man I'm really torn on either getting this or Tekken.
You can play Tekken online, so there's that.

kyo27

Just picked up the Collectors Edition and I'm really impressed. This thing is HUGE. I'm posting some pics of other collectors tins that I have to show how big it is in comparison. I posted some art book pics as well. It's 92 pages and the first 65 pages are all CG art. The rest are drawings of the costume art and stages.

ksh01l.jpg

kSDIul.jpg

IESzel.jpg

jrWeJl.jpg

Saw the 360 in action. Is it supposed to have some jaggies?

How is the PS3 version? Are the visuals and performance-wise identical or are there any noticeable differences?

vocab

It saddens me in the FG community how people can only enjoy one FG and trash the rest. It's ok to play more than one game, no ones gonna hate ya.

The so called fighting game community is one of the worst gaming communities period. Niche ass genre that's so divided with people that remind me of the people I hate in real life.

The so called fighting game community is one of the worst gaming communities period. Niche ass genre that's so divided.

Why do people lump stream monsters into the FGC?

People of the FGC are people you see at FFA, Super Arcade, Chinatown fair and etc. Real people and not just some trolls on the internet.

8byte

Banned
Played this last night and didn't really enjoy it that much :( I've just never really been able to get into the series...

I'll stick with Tekken and VF, can't really find a reason to get this when those two are still rather fresh, so to speak (and the Tekken community is much larger, I think).

kyo27

The so called fighting game community is one of the worst gaming communities period. Niche ass genre that's so divided with people that remind me of the people I hate in real life.

All genres are like that though. Battlefield players and Call of Duty players. In the past Madden and NFL2k. Always bickering about whose game was better.

Mr Jared

It saddens me in the FG community how people can only enjoy one FG and trash the rest. It's ok to play more than one game, no ones gonna hate ya.

In the fighting game scene, Dead or Alive has always been the most hated game, even more than Smash Bros and possibly even Mortal Kombat. With Smash Bros they could at the very least dismiss it ("It's not a fighting game"), and Mortal Kombat tends to not take itself seriously to begin with. There's something about DOA, however, that really upsets them. Something about not being hardcore enough, but I don't think that's ever been the point of DOA. It's always been the fighting game you could play with just about anyone, regardless of skill, and get entertainment out of it.

My copy just arrived, I plan on playing it with folks in the office and just for fun, just like every other DOA. The lack of cool fanservice (Where's all the awesome costumes!?) from past DOA's are the only downsides for me.

In the fighting game scene, Dead or Alive has always been the most hated game, even more than Smash Bros and possibly even Mortal Kombat. With Smash Bros they could at the very least dismiss it ("It's not a fighting game"), and Mortal Kombat tends to not take itself seriously to begin with. There's something about DOA, however, that really upsets them. Something about not being hardcore enough, but I don't think that's ever been the point of DOA. It's always been the fighting game you could play with just about anyone, regardless of skill, and get entertainment out of it.

My copy just arrived, I plan on playing it with folks in the office and just for fun, just like every other DOA. The lack of cool fanservice (Where's all the awesome costumes!?) from past DOA's are the only downsides for me.

didn't help that DOA players refuse to go to tournaments in the past and then wonder why DOA wasn't picking up.

Smash, and MK heads all showed up strong at their tournaments. There is a running joke within their community about 16 man DOA tournaments.

branny

Probably doesn't help that I haven't played a Tekken game since the first Tekken Tag either.
You could jump into TTT2 with TTT1 experience, but the franchise has evolved quite a bit since then. Tekken 6 made Tekken even more juggle heavy and completely revamped the way combos work with bounds and all that (a more bitter explanation would be that you have to do longer combos now in order to get the same amount of damage as before). Those mechanics work a lot better in TTT2, though. You will still need to adjust to a few major changes and take the time to learn your preferred characters' BnBs. TTT2 is still more accessible than many other fighting games out there and a great place to get back into the series.

As for deciding between TTT2 and DoA5, I don't know what to tell you. I personally couldn't choose.

360 copy got delivered to me at work...a co-worker saw the box and went "BOIIIIING" really loud as he walked by, LOL.
lol. It sounds like Team Ninja may need a reputation reduction or something if they want to be taken seriously.

Its not the stream monsters. DoA has always been hated for as long as I can remember. As the above poster mentioned MK, Smash, and DoA were amongst the most hated games in the genre by the FGC. The hate for the other 2 have died down, but if this game is good enough then I think it will be embraced.

I remember you would be laughed at and ridiculed on SRK's forums just for mentioning MK or DoA back in the day.

Its not the stream monsters. DoA has always been hated for as long as I can remember. As the above poster mentioned MK, Smash, and DoA were amongst the most hated games in the genre by the FGC. The hate for the other 2 have died down, but if this game is good enough then I think it will be embraced.

I remember you would be laughed at and ridiculed on SRK's forums just for mentioning MK or DoA back in the day.

That was because SRK wasn't modded seriously back then so you could get away with just about anything.

Think about it, all the top players stop posting there very early on. The DarkPrince's Era days are gone. A lot of FGC people are more open to new games. The griminess of the scene has tone down considerably.

In terms of actual FGC people hating on recent games. MK9 probably received the most flak. LI Joe was one of the biggest MK heads back in the day and he put MK9 on blast really hard after the PDP tournament.

DOA5 is starting somewhat fresh. But I think releasing so close to TTT2 and P4A took away a lot of potential exposure.

When P4A was about to release, everybody was streaming it and the hype train was big. DOA5? Not nearly so much. Hopefully seasons beating changes things, but I'm doubtful.

SykoTech

Huge Marvel fan here, but I don't see the point in trashing everything else for not being Marvel. That's dumb.

Then again, I'm a huge Smash fan as well and don't see why so many people get pissed off over Battle Royale either.

It appears they may have changed it back to a 100 point scale...

doa5 did indeed receive 8.8 from ign.

[ITA]Wolfgang;42524629 said:
It's actually 8.8, whereas Tekken had 7.5

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/25/dead-or-alive-5-review

It was highlighted the fact that it is enjoyable at any skill level, while Tekken was penalized for the opposite.

Hahaha, oh wow.

Gonna love seeing people meltdown about them in the future. Another "Twilight Princess = 8.8" situation is possible now.

This is an embarassing moment for you.

How?

Because DOA takes accepted conventions of the genre and shits on them (although I think they've created some clever workarounds in this iteration).

-You stunned your opponent? You just fucked up.
-You knocked your opponent down and are next to them (in DOA4)? You just fucked up.
-Wanna tech a throw? Nope.
-Wanna use lateral movement to dodge attacks (up until DOA5)? Nope.
-You want to use an i12 attack when you blocked your opponent's attack that leaves them at -13? Nope.

They're fun games with a ton of potential but Team Ninja always fucks up large portions of them.

Sayah

Hahaha, oh wow.

Gonna love seeing people meltdown about them in the future. Another "Twilight Princess = 8.8" situation is possible now.

There already was a meltdown. The Tekken review got endlessly trashed in the comments and on the Youtube vid. IGN pretty much lost all credibility for me after this.

If you can't review a game properly, then don't do it at all.

Dantis

DOA5 is starting somewhat fresh. But I think releasing so close to TTT2 and P4A took away a lot of potential exposure.

When P4A was about to release, everybody was streaming it and the hype train was big. DOA5? Not nearly so much. Hopefully seasons beating changes things, but I'm doubtful.

P4A got so much hype, but the sales were strangely low. I'm okay with DOA not being accepted by the FGC as long as there's enough active players online. I'm mildly concerned that if Persona can't sell well with all its hype and good reviews and perfect netcode, then DOA can't either. :/

Hopefully my concerns are off the mark.

Mr_eX

I've actually heard from someone that the online is pretty good. They said their first few marches were terrible but it cleared up and they've had nothing but smooth matches since.

LowParry

P4A got so much hype, but the sales were strangely low. I'm okay with DOA not being accepted by the FGC as long as there's enough active players online. I'm mildly concerned that if Persona can't sell well with all its hype and good reviews and perfect netcode, then DOA can't either. :/

Hopefully my concerns are off the mark.

Don't forget WoW's expansion came out today as well. Which could be a factor of low sales. People love their WoW. Pandas man.

Shadybiz

Gonna be patient and get this on black Friday. I'm not good enough to play online anyway.

Kind of the way I'm leaning. But, I do have a bunch of games that I'm trading in for credit towards BLOPS 2...if there there is a significant amount left over, I might just say 'the hell with it' and pick it up. I am pretty curious, and I like the idea of it being slightly less hardcore than Tekken.

BlackJace

Anything that isn't by Capcom is hated by stream monsters. It's alright.

Because it's DOA, if it's not Marvel they hate it.

Yup, after attempting to get into the FGC with MVC3, I was turned off by the all the bullshit. I'm a casual fighting game player, yeah, but I'm not some fucking idiot that needs to be ridiculed because I don't know certain terminology, or movesets. (I'm not talking about GAF's FGC, btw)

Top Bottom