• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

bumpkin

I kind of want to pick the game up because I had a lot of fun with DOA Dimensions and my wife enjoyed DOA4 (sans the last boss), but I've been struggling to find time to play Tekken Tag 2 as it is. Somehow I don't think that picking up another fighting game is the best idea... Still, I really admire what Team Ninja has done with the game in their post-Itagaki era, and I want to show my support. So torn!

As an aside, doesn't Toys R Us typically run one of their "buy 2 get a 3rd free" sales this time of year? Any word on when their next one may be? Maybe I can justify it to myself as a "free" game when I pick up some other stuff in the next month or so.

I'm kind of conflicted over picking this up or not. I've owned and enjoyed every DOA since the original on PlayStation (save for Dimensions). Didn't like DOA4 that much, but I sunk dozens of hours into the first three games.

Mila looks like a character I want to get good at.

Any word on the PS3 version?

Soi-Fong

I'm kind of conflicted over picking this up or not. I've owned and enjoyed every DOA since the original on PlayStation (save for Dimensions). Didn't like DOA4 that much, but I sunk dozens of hours into the first three games.

Mila looks like a character I want to get good at.

Any word on the PS3 version?

PS3 version is the lead platform.

DEATH™

Good thing the game gets some 8s and 9s from some sites... though IGN being one of them is kinda bad...

Hope online's not like T6... or even close...

vocab

DEATH™;42536561 said:
Good thing the game gets some 8s and 9s from some sites... though IGN being one of them is kinda bad...

Hope online's not like T6... or even close...

Finding matches seem way quicker than T6 by a huge margin, and the lobby wait time after a match is super quick.

I cannot confirm the smoothness of the online till I actually play it =/

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Even though PS3 is the lead platform, are both versions good though?

Just wondering if there were any comparisons or if anyone has both copies.

I have played both versions and honestly did not notice a difference between them. Get whichever one you prefer/have a better stick for, I'd say.

Grisby

I've only been playing story mode for the last hour or so but I wanted to chime in some things.

1)First off, the character models are downright gorgeous. Having popped in DOA4 a week or two ago I was blown away by the upgrade. Some of the best I've ever seen. I don't play many sports games so the first time I saw the sweat stuff I said 'wow'.

2)Second, I love how much 'umph' DOA's hit mechanics have. I'm only a casual but I really feel like I'm kicking some ass here.

3)The music has been pretty decent. I've found myself nodding my head a few times. Story mode has been moving at a brisk pace and I'm having some fun with the cutscenes.

PS3 game by the way and it runs great. The start-up disc splash screen is nice too.

So what's the deal with the online pass (PS3 version if that matters). I haven't put mine in yet, but I was able to play online (and get my ass kicked) just fine. Is there a trial period or something?

And as a beginner, I'm thinking about using Ayane as my main. Is she a decent character to start with? I haven't played DOA since DOA2 on DC and even then PPPK was about as fancy as my combos got.

By the way, Mila is pretty hot. I think she's a great addition to the series, a MMA fighter.

Mila is cool and Abel is cool.

Does Tekken have a MMA fighter? It needs one.

EDIT: If this ever comes to the Wii U, although it's wishful thinking I hope Nintendo allows TN to use Samus in the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rig is pretty bad-ass in gameplay. It's really too bad Hitomi and him don't have a tag-team synergy/throw to be worthwhile. :(

soakrates

Because DOA takes accepted conventions of the genre and shits on them (although I think they've created some clever workarounds in this iteration).

-You stunned your opponent? You just fucked up.
-You knocked your opponent down and are next to them (in DOA4)? You just fucked up.
-Wanna tech a throw? Nope.
-Wanna use lateral movement to dodge attacks (up until DOA5)? Nope.
-You want to use an i12 attack when you blocked your opponent's attack that leaves them at -13? Nope.

They're fun games with a ton of potential but Team Ninja always fucks up large portions of them.
Is it true that most throws in DOA5 are inescapable? I'm all for a strong throw system, but that seems kind of excessive.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Hoping to pick this up on friday I think. X360 version, but only because i've got the predecessor on the same console. No differences/improvements reported anywhere yet?

kiun

Hoping to pick this up on friday I think. X360 version, but only because i've got the predecessor on the same console. No differences/improvements reported anywhere yet?

same reason why i picked up the 360 version, but I'm waiting it out before taking the game out of its wrapper.

Grisby

The CE comes with two download codes?
One code for the swimsuits. An online pass code on the back of the manual. Some sort of extra code for a strategy guide deal from Prima.

Gamestop and other retailers have some preorder costumes. These are not inculded in the CE. In my case the code was on the receipt.

So ,er, yeah, two actual game codes.

One code for the swimsuits. An online pass code on the back of the manual. Some sort of extra code for a strategy guide deal from Prima.

Gamestop and other retailers have some preorder costumes. These are not inculded in the CE. In my case the code was on the receipt.

So ,er, yeah, two actual game codes.

That's cool. I've heard nothing about the strategy guide.

Have people gotten their Amazon preorder codes yet?

Skilletor

I see. So what are the usual ways of avoiding or defending against throws, aside from attacking a lot?

Nothing, really. Throws are the best form of punishment in DoA. Many of them are faster than your fastest strike. They don't really begin to do a lot of damage unless you get counter or hi counter throws. Those modify the damage. By a lot, lol.

I see. So what are the usual ways of avoiding or defending against throws, aside from attacking a lot?

Throws are basically the way they are to punish people who would sit back and turtle, waiting for you to attack and just counter, counter, counter. Throws punish those players pretty bad.

In my experience, being on the offensive keeps throws in check because fast strikes can interrupt them and you can't throw when you're getting juggled, lol.

/all opinion based on experience with DOAU2 and DOA4

soakrates

Nothing, really. Throws are the best form of punishment in DoA. Many of them are faster than your fastest strike. They don't really begin to do a lot of damage unless you get counter or hi counter throws. Those modify the damage. By a lot, lol.
Ah ok. Good to know they don't do much damage, I guess. Is there any kind of fuzzy guard that can be used in certain situations?

Throws are basically the way they are to punish people who would sit back and turtle, waiting for you to attack and just counter, counter, counter. Throws punish those players pretty bad.

In my experience, being on the offensive keeps throws in check because fast strikes can interrupt them and you can't throw when you're getting juggled, lol.

/all opinion based on experience with DOAU2 and DOA4
Gotcha. Sounds a bit like VF, actually. Attacks always beat throws, but you can also escape them by inputting (forward/back/neutral)+P+G. They generally do good damage though.

Skilletor

Ah ok. Good to know they don't do much damage, I guess. Is there any kind of fuzzy guard that can be used in certain situations?

Gotcha. Sounds a bit like VF, actually. Attacks always beat throws, but you can also escape them by inputting (forward/back/neutral)+P+G. They generally do good damage though.

It is similar to VF. There are catch throws, just like in VF, but for the most part strikes always beat throws.

Kinyou

Really excited for this. Those Metacritic scores threw me off a little but I don't care that much anyway. Always felt like DOA was misjudged by critics. ^^

hao chi

Anyone want to play some tonight? Totally new to doa so there will be some mashing.

I'll probably be able to play tonight, but if my ethernet cable messes up again and disconnects me I'll probably have to wait a few days to play online until I get a new one, since my wireless speeds aren't the best.

I tried plugging my ethernet cable into a different port on my router, so hopefully that will help.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone have some good input on the 360 version so far? How is it? Is this the kind of game you would hand to someone as their first fighting game?

Really excited for this. Those Metacritic scores threw me off a little but I don't care that much anyway. Always felt like DOA was misjudged by critics. ^^

Yeah, it seems like it's the best in the series and was downgraded for just being the same, which IMO, is not really a bad thing. Yet Modern Warfare 3 gets 10s and 9s!

I personally think too much innovation in a established fighting game can kill a series. You can't alienate the fanbase which is what was so disappointing about SoulCalibur V: too many new characters nobody cared about.

I've said this before but having VF characters guest star in DoA5 was a awesome addition. It's a great way of adding new characters without taking any risks of adding more generic characters.

Anyone have some good input on the 360 version so far? How is it? Is this the kind of game you would hand to someone as their first fighting game?

I think DoA series is more friendly to newbies. That's just what I get from past series.

I know it can be competitive online. Still I always had the impression that DoA has so much fanservice that a lot of people just buy it for that.

zlatko

Banned

You can hand anyone, anything as their first fighter. You'll be ass either way. It's a matter of handing them something they are genuinely interested in, and want to put the time into getting good at.

If this game gets you hype, then grab it, and just practice a lot, ask questions here, and put what you learn to use against friends/gaffers/strangers online.

Does Tekken have a MMA fighter? It needs one.

No.

ugly.jpg

Top Bottom