• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

As long as they put Helena's venus I won't complain. Actually, they better give everyone a venus. That's where the money will flow in like crazy.

I guess you're talking about Helenas seashell bikini in the CE pack? I think that we'll eventually get as DLC, most likely.
The problem with the new bikinis is the lack of footwear.
Whilst some of the new bikinis look great above the knee, since TN decided to remove the shoes/heels, they have artificially extended the lower legs to compensate for the lack of footwear. This makes the lower legs look abnormally long and thin, which makes the outfit significantly worse overall.

Its good to hear the netcode is good. I thought vanilla DoA5's, was pretty solid too.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
first online battle and it was very laggy. getting held like a proper scrub. next few were pretty great, and i won them all. :)

if people want to play, feel free to add. its my first doa in years (last was doa2 and i never played that seriously) so i'm pretty free right now! also i'm only playing core fighters because i'm still waiting for my disc to arrive.

it would be nice if they bothered advertising it on PSN. if i didn't know it was out and went digging through the F2P section i would never have seen it.

Yeah, seems impossible to read stuff fast enough to know what direction to hold. I remember being told to just block and ignore holds starting out.

mostly i stick to normal defense and only bother attempting critical holds when i'm hit, unless they're being super predictable of course.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And the game doesn't look as jaggy anymore!

I dunno about that. In extreme lag matches it turns off AA or something, for spectators.

And Forest is Dithery in matches but in intro/outros it looks fine because it has a filter on it or something. It's really jarring. Lost World doesn't look this bad. :/

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I dunno about that. In extreme lag matches it turns off AA or something, for spectators.

And Forest is Dithery in matches but in intro/outros it looks fine because it has a filter on it or something. It's really jarring. Lost World doesn't look this bad. :/

the intro/outros are also 30fps so they clearly disable a some of the extra embellishments during play. i'm okay with that.

TheSeks

the intro/outros are also 30fps so they clearly disable a some of the extra embellishments during play. i'm okay with that.

Yes, but Lost World isn't dithering. It looks like an HD upgrade of DOA3. Forest is dithering nearly everything. The walls, the background leaves. It doesn't look like much of an upgrade it anything.

The desert doesn't look bad either. It's only the Forest stage which is weird. It's probably my favorite DOA3 stage but I really don't want to play on it if it looks this bad. :/

Game feels good. I never unlocked all of the outfits, so going to do that before I hope online.

10 ranked for each character = 1 outfit unlock. Just go that route on your way to 100 and do the rest.

I think the Lisa/Tina/Christie Legendaries still unlock on ranked as well, so bonus.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
oh man. i just saw the forest stage. that is hilarious.

it's not dithering or stippling though. it's just a combo of high frequency detail and no AA producing a fuck-ton of shimmering.

Skilletor

Yes, but Lost World isn't dithering. It looks like an HD upgrade of DOA3. Forest is dithering nearly everything. The walls, the background leaves. It doesn't look like much of an upgrade it anything.

The desert doesn't look bad either. It's only the Forest stage which is weird. It's probably my favorite DOA3 stage but I really don't want to play on it if it looks this bad. :/

10 ranked for each character = 1 outfit unlock. Just go that route on your way to 100 and do the rest.

I think the Lisa/Tina/Christie Legendaries still unlock on ranked as well, so bonus.

I don't want to play characters I hate online. This will be easier and less frustrating. :p

Karak

Did a fairly short Review for this. Lets be honest by #5 we all knew what we were getting.

Pros:
New Characters (of course)
Internet code, for me, was rock solid
Same old humur

Cons:
GFX are long in the tooth, as are all fighting games
Lots of missed opportunity for a true Ultimate version.

TheSeks

Enjoy trying to get Lisa/Tina/Christie's legendaries then. I broke down and did the rank matches. Plus the ranked matches also help cut down on having to go "next level up" on arcade.

Skilletor

Enjoy trying to get Lisa/Tina/Christie's legendaries then. I broke down and did the rank matches. Plus the ranked matches also help cut down on having to go "next level up" on arcade.

Just play on time attack and arcade. You get 2 costumes for each rank that way. 3/6 outfits up to normal.

Diebuster

For DLC, does it just read my DOA5 data? All of the Ultimate costumes were showing their full price when I went to download the game even though I bought a lot of them in the vanilla release.

TheSeks

For DLC, does it just read my DOA5 data? All of the Ultimate costumes were showing their full price when I went to download the game even though I bought a lot of them in the vanilla release.

It should on first boot. That's what the "checking content" thing is each bootup.

Undecided what version to buy. My Xbox Live subscription ends in May and I have no intentions of renewing but I prefer the controller. I have the vanilla on 360 but don't care about carrying over my data. PS3 has free online multiplayer and potentially a larger community with the f2p version.

Any advice?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Any chance of new legendary costumes?

tfw no Rachel Fiend costume ;_;

solid mike

It brought over my Story progress, unlocked outfits (in-game and DLC) and other unlocks (system voices).

It did not seem to bring over my online records, luckily.

Edit: Oh, and titles were carried over as well.

I sold my vanilla a month ago. Do I have to keep vanilla's Game Data Utility or can I just keep the Saved Data Utility. Need more space on my PS3.

Heard that you might be able to take off Ryu's mask in this one, anyone know if that's true? Also trying to figure out how to rid Ein of the sunglasses.

Grisby

Well, couldn't find anyone online in ranked for, what felt like, forever. Lobby seems to work better.

Hope more dudes pick up the game.

DR2K

Banned
Undecided what version to buy. My Xbox Live subscription ends in May and I have no intentions of renewing but I prefer the controller. I have the vanilla on 360 but don't care about carrying over my data. PS3 has free online multiplayer and potentially a larger community with the f2p version.

Any advice?

Ps3 based on those facts

I sold my vanilla a month ago. Do I have to keep vanilla's Game Data Utility or can I just keep the Saved Data Utility. Need more space on my PS3.

Save data. Game data should just be the install files.

solid mike

I guess you're talking about Helenas seashell bikini in the CE pack? I think that we'll eventually get as DLC, most likely.
The problem with the new bikinis is the lack of footwear.
Whilst some of the new bikinis look great above the knee, since TN decided to remove the shoes/heels, they have artificially extended the lower legs to compensate for the lack of footwear. This makes the lower legs look abnormally long and thin, which makes the outfit significantly worse overall.

Its good to hear the netcode is good. I thought vanilla DoA5's, was pretty solid too.

Oh my bad, I thought it was her venus. It looks pretty similar though.

Save data, though you should install DOA5U it does help the load times.

Thanks. This will save me 4GB of much needed space. But I think will DOA5 Ultimate will also take said 4GB.

It brought over my Story progress, unlocked outfits (in-game and DLC) and other unlocks (system voices).

It did not seem to bring over my online records, luckily.

Edit: Oh, and titles were carried over as well.

Thank God for that!
I really wasnt looking forward to unlocking all the swimsuits again. Especially considering the online of doA is practically dead here, in Aus.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
ugh. i am so incredibly free.

the salt. the salt.

don't worry hitomi.. we'll get better at this..

I'm in training mode and for some reason the training stage music is playing on the Zack Island stage. Please tell me this is a bug, I don't want to listen to this awful music everytime I go into training mode.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Anyone noticed some of the screwed up subtitles? like with Jann Lee's victory quote he's saying "Do you know who I am" but the subtitle is talking about these fists never letting him down or whatever
But when he says "these fists never let me down" the subtitle says "Do you know who I am"
:/

Dantis

Helena's my main, but I like Christie a lot and Hitomi a decent amount as well. You play the ninjas, right?

Just Kasumi really, haha!

New Ayane costume is a bit shit.

c20130902_doa5u_01_cs1w1_720x405.jpg

No idea why they've done that to her top. Just looks stupid. Looked better when it was actually, you know, a top.

Westlo

Dat underboob!

Thank God for that!
I really wasnt looking forward to unlocking all the swimsuits again. Especially considering the online of doA is practically dead here, in Aus.

Yeah, because of that I've go no interest in the 360 version (which I got for vanilla, didn't play it much though), going to get the ps3 version, hopefully I can have some half decent 3 bar games against south asian peeps with this improved net code.

Dantis

Net code is MEGA improved. Just had a one-bar game, and it was about as good as you could physically expect.

raven777

Just Kasumi really, haha!

New Ayane costume is a bit shit.

No idea why they've done that to her top. Just looks stupid. Looked better when it was actually, you know, a top.

I really like that outfit.

I really hope this and kasumi famitsu dlc comes out in US later

Top Bottom