• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

ShinMaruku

Watch the Rig players and you should learn some good stuff. Mainly look how much times they lose to counter hits. I am learning some good stuff watching these matches. :)

Who are the good Kassie players? Watched what I could but went out on the piss tonight so missed a lot of it and didn't see any Kas players.

In case anyone is interested in Ayanes ass...

BzV9bWmCEAANavf.jpg

Cant wait to buy this one :)

stn

Okay, what's the deal? I play Jann Lee, I try to do his spin kick (B, F + "B" on X360). Instead, the dragon kick comes out. This happens sometimes. I also noticed, for example, that in command training my moves also won't come out. It took me a few tries to get Tina's F, B + Throw move. I looked at the inputs and I was pressing the correct inputs, the stupid thing just wasn't coming out.

What's the deal? I've been playing fighters forever and have decent enough execution to be able to do basic commands with my eyes closed. Anyone else experience this?

Skilletor

After getting bodied at EVO, I really want to play this game a lot more. There's a lot I want to learn, but it's just not going to happen with how terrible online is.

I'm not a super srs player anymore. The only tourney I go to is EVO, traveling is absolutely out of the equation. I'm heavily involved in the local community, and have been trying to get people to play DoA since DoA2 on dreamcast. There's a serious stigma around the game and tons that people don't like. I know two other people that play the game locally and I'm much better than they are, so it's not a lot of good practice.

The only way for me to learn this game better would be online, and with the current netcode, it's just not feasible. Makes me sad since this game looks so fun and I want to learn so many of the characters. :/

I don't think it'll be fixed until DoA6 (if then).

Skilletor

Some areas have decent local scenes you should look into.

See if one is nearby.

I'm heavily involved within my local scene. Black Mamba recently moved here but doesn't want to play DoA.

We have an amazing anime scene, all the USF4 you could ever want to play, a few people that play VF, several great Tekken players.

Seriously like two people that want to play DoA. :/

ShinMaruku

Part of my issue with the fgc sometimes. Mostly want to play SF.... Although if you do make the 2 people who want to play DOA play consistently and make it look good in locals you could grab some people. Sometimes you just have to build a scene where you are. Hopefully this pot bonus and the stream and it coming out on next gen give it a chance. Just have to work at it.

You only really need one person to seriously level up with, though of course more is always better. I guess the main thing is that the two that want to play aren't good enough now, so it would take time to level them up to where they'd be good training partners.

If it's all you've got, might be worth the effort

ShinMaruku

2 people is actually decent. How you think I got to where I got. It's around 8 people. If everybody grows with you your growth will accelerate. Just more people more opportunities and more minds on tech.

Squire

Banned
Part of my issue with the fgc sometimes. Mostly want to play SF.... Although if you do make the 2 people who want to play DOA play consistently and make it look good in locals you could grab some people. Sometimes you just have to build a scene where you are. Hopefully this pot bonus and the stream and it coming out on next gen give it a chance. Just have to work at it.

Most people want to play a variety of games. Notice that that's what's at EVO every year - a variety of games - while DOA isn't. That's because DOA, while being a good game, has a stigma attached to it. You don't have to be bothered by that yourself, but don't act like it's not there. DOA5 having awful netcode doesn't help either. This narrative that most people want to play SF and are shunning other fighters is straight up false. I can't stand SF, myself.

ShinMaruku

I just think certain stigmas are suspect but let's leave the perviness of all fighting games out of this. While I do know that some people play other games most of the folks I have matches with few never gave sfxt a chance. They don't do Persona or Guilty Gear, I meet people on 1 hand who will even mess with VF in my experience it's all sf. And we can't make simple stigmas hold back a game if it's good should be given a shot.

Squire

Banned
I just think certain stigmas are suspect but let's leave the perviness of all fighting games out of this. While I do know that some people play other games most of the folks I have matches with few never gave sfxt a chance. They don't do Persona or Guilty Gear, I meet people on 1 hand who will even mess with VF in my experience it's all sf. And we can't make simple stigmas hold back a game if it's good should be given a shot.

I disagree. If people think a game is gross or embarrassing to play they shouldn't play it.

ShinMaruku

If they think it's gross and tolerate Mai I'd call something suspect but if it's not their cup of tea fine. But I'd think the market that fightimgames are in and doa have some overlap.

As to embarassing to play can't say I get that but they are not me and they are not I. :)

Skilletor

I realize you like to bring up Mai as some counterpoint to DoA.

I don't think most gamers have a problem with some sex appeal, like Mai. DoA is a game full of characters dressed far, far worse than Mai.

I could go an entire night playing KoF13 and never see Mai. I can't go through this thread without pictures that are seriously nsfw. They're not the same at all. That there's a volleyball game and tons of stupid ass swimsuits in this game that get plastered everywhere doesn't help the image of the game. It's really hard to take a game seriously when even the producer is talking about how soft the female's skin will look on PS4. They're not talking about the fighting style of the new female character; they're talking about how realistic her skin will look and to look forward to that. They're not talking about gameplay changes for DoA5:LR, new stages, balancing considerations. Nope. Soft skin, realistically moving breasts. Those are the articles that people see, the type of information that's constantly brought up.

And the gameplay isn't for everybody. The counter system turns as many people off as the overabundant sex appeal.

I can totally understand why people won't play it and, as I said, have been playing the game since DoA1. I played DoA2 in arcades. The focus on women in this game turns a lot of competitive players off. Just like Marie Rose almost made me quit playing (and honestly makes me question it every time I see her). Same way I'll never play Arcana Hearts because I think lolis are disgusting. The game's image isn't going to change. People aren't going to flock to DoA en masse, and I'm fine with that and totally understand their reasoning. I just hope the netcode is SC5/TTT level so that I can actually learn the game properly when the time comes.

ShinMaruku

Never knew Marie would put people off so much. But as you said not every game is for everybody but I just want the game to have a health community. Looks like it's getting there.

Ultimadrago

Never knew Marie would put people off so much. But as you said not every game is for everybody but I just want the game to have a health community. Looks like it's getting there.

And then at peak health, we get DoA Xtreme Beach Volleyball 3 (with MR's Arabian Princess included or as DLC).

Just like Marie Rose almost made me quit playing (and honestly makes me question it every time I see her).

Yeah, I mean there's a few things I think Last Round is missing (such as an updated story mode not being confirmed yet) but honestly I would be so happy if they made Marie Rose an optional free DLC character instead of being included on the disc. Her inclusion means it's a game I'll definitely have to think twice about playing if I have friends over and we want to play a fighting game.

Anyway, I'm really loving pretty much all of the halloween costumes!! So good, although I hope the (many) horns and stuff can be toggled off, kind of looks too ridiculous.

Before 5 everything used to be pretty tongue in cheek and the sex appeal wasn't the main focus of the game. I always felt DOA had an undeserved bad rep. The volleyball games didn't help, but pointing to a spin-off when talking about the main games is dumb. The spin-offs don't have any bearing on what the main games are or are doing.

Without Itagaki though, all that's gone to shit. Before, I could say people were giving DOA an unfair shake. Now, DOA's become what people always thought it was

ShinMaruku

I find that it's gotten better without Itagaki. Game was always about sex appeal just now they can go full perv with the tech. DOA2 was pretty pervy with it's stuff. (Matter of fact most of the slutty stuff is from the many iterations of 2)

Eolz

It seemed like Hayashi/TN wanted to remove some of the stigma with the serious redesign and the "I'm a fighter" marketing, but after a while, you can see in japanese interviews that they kinda gave up on that.
It will never really go away, so they just don't really care anymore
and I applaud them for that
. The game mechanics are way better now anyway.

Fighting games always have some sort of stigma with them anyway (bar maybe SF): VF is too hard, MK is just for gore, KI because lolXbone, Tekken is "muh juggling, muh superior limb based combat", soul calibur is about fanservice and broken mechanics, Smash is a party game, MvC is a button masher, Blazblue/GG/Persona is lolAnimu, SFxTK is shit, Skullgirls is a mix of MvC/animu/fanservice, etc etc
Note that those are the generalizations usually heard, not my opinions
The FGC is really usually pretty shit on those topics, "my game is the only one worth a shit". It's also why it's not really respected by other gaming communities, even if the games are.
That's sad really, but if a dev/publisher can makes a community healthy, even if it's small at first, it's really good.

Loona

Another point about the Mai comparison: SNKP has considered Mai insignificant enough to the broader KoF setting and gameplay to leave her out of XI and XII (Vanessa is aesthetically superior and Elizabeth is a lot more plot-relevant) - it was by sheer demand ("No Mai no buy") that they brought her back and made sure people noticed by the time XIII was released.

I liked how DoA5 early on was lowerring the focus on what made it infamous, and how it seemed to reach gender parity in its cast, how its first revealed footage consisted only on male characters for a change, how it gave everyone optional glasses by default, but most swimsuits were paid for.

Every DLC character since being female and a lot of the DLC being for them and embarassing doesn't help though, even if financially it makes sense...
They could have brought back male Tengu and the gameplay would have been unchanged - Nyotengu's design is kinda busy as is, with so many elements to it...

How telling is it that some of the more interesting DLC designs in recent times have been the fan-designed ones that involved ignoring votes for more skin-revealing stuff?..

Skilletor

I find that it's gotten better without Itagaki. Game was always about sex appeal just now they can go full perv with the tech. DOA2 was pretty pervy with it's stuff. (Matter of fact most of the slutty stuff is from the many iterations of 2)

Nah, most of the slutty stuff is new or from the volleyball games.

It seemed like Hayashi/TN wanted to remove some of the stigma with the serious redesign and the "I'm a fighter" marketing, but after a while, you can see in japanese interviews that they kinda gave up on that.
It will never really go away, so they just don't really care anymore
and I applaud them for that
. The game mechanics are way better now anyway.

Fighting games always have some sort of stigma with them anyway (bar maybe SF): VF is too hard, MK is just for gore, KI because lolXbone, Tekken is "muh juggling, muh superior limb based combat", soul calibur is about fanservice and broken mechanics, Smash is a party game, MvC is a button masher, Blazblue/GG/Persona is lolAnimu, SFxTK is shit, Skullgirls is a mix of MvC/animu/fanservice, etc etc
Note that those are the generalizations usually heard, not my opinions
The FGC is really usually pretty shit on those topics, "my game is the only one worth a shit". It's also why it's not really respected by other gaming communities, even if the games are.
That's sad really, but if a dev/publisher can makes a community healthy, even if it's small at first, it's really good.

They're welcome to do what they want, and I will continue to understand why people don't want to play this game. I think if the mechanics were more solid, people would be willing to overlook the fan service.

But they're not, so they don't.

Nah, most of the slutty stuff is new or from the volleyball games.

They're welcome to do what they want, and I will continue to understand why people don't want to play this game. I think if the mechanics were more solid, people would be willing to overlook the fan service.

But they're not, so they don't.

DOA1 at the jump had a bouncing breast feature and some outfits like Lei-Fang's in 1 had serious underboob going on. Slutty outfits have been a thing since day one it just went up when DOAX came into the picture.

Like you said, people can do what they want but while TN needs to do their part in making the game more mass appeal FG players needs to not be an outsider looking in.

Most of these players go like "titty fighter" without even playing it.
But again with how TN is handling things it's hard not to come to that assumption.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
DOA1 at the jump had a bouncing breast feature and some outfits like Lei-Fang's in 1 had serious underboob going on. Slutty outfits have been a thing since day one it just went up when DOAX came into the picture.

Like you said, people can do what they want but while TN needs to do their part in making the game more mass appeal FG players needs to not be an outsider looking in.

Most of these players go like "titty fighter" without even playing it.
But again with how TN is handling things it's hard not to come to that assumption.

The thing is that DOA slutty outfits are not the main outfits of the characters. The FG players are being ignorant and if they wanted to play the game seriously without the provocative outfits they could do it. Also SC games have enough fan service itself but since it was established before the fan service people give it a green light to the game which is BS considering the redesign of Sophitia, Ivy never ending growing tits and Taki among others offering some T&A. The community likes acting like they are mature about things when sometimes they can be as immature as they like to call the DOA community.

Skilletor

The thing is that DOA slutty outfits are not the main outfits of the characters. The FG players are being ignorant and if they wanted to play the game seriously without the provocative outfits they could do it. Also SC games have enough fan service itself but since it was established before the fan service people give it a green light to the game which is BS considering the redesign of Sophitia, Ivy never ending growing tits and Taki among others offering some T&A. The community likes acting like they are mature about things when sometimes they can be as immature as they like to call the DOA community.

No, it's really not possible to avoid the shitty outfits in this game.

Also, the outfits are just part of the problem. If the mechanics were more solid, as they are in SoulCalibur, then I think the game would get a pass.

And honestly, the amount of fanservice in most other games pales in comparison to the shit in this game. You're bringing up one or two characters in SC, a character in KoF. This game's cast is comprised of 60% Mais, Ivys, and Takis. All with far more revealing and provocative outfits than you see in any other series. And I don't think it's about the community being "mature." It's about the community seeing what the developers focus on and choosing not to play it. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

And, honestly, I think there are far better fighters out there to spend time learning than DoA. I say this as a huge fan.

boop. Honestly, Helena's C1 in 2 has been pretty demur compared to other fighters.
Helena's outfits in general are pretty classy compared to others.

And the FGC can be the pits and loves to cherry pick.
Tekken community is no picnic either no idea why DOA gets called out so much lol.

Top Bottom