• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

ascii42

DOA1 at the jump had a bouncing breast feature and some outfits like Lei-Fang's in 1 had serious underboob going on. Slutty outfits have been a thing since day one it just went up when DOAX came into the picture.

Like you said, people can do what they want but while TN needs to do their part in making the game more mass appeal FG players needs to not be an outsider looking in.

Most of these players go like "titty fighter" without even playing it.
But again with how TN is handling things it's hard not to come to that assumption.

Yeah, and don't forget about DOA2: Hardcore's CG gallery.

ShinMaruku

The thing is that DOA slutty outfits are not the main outfits of the characters. The FG players are being ignorant and if they wanted to play the game seriously without the provocative outfits they could do it. Also SC games have enough fan service itself but since it was established before the fan service people give it a green light to the game which is BS considering the redesign of Sophitia, Ivy never ending growing tits and Taki among others offering some T&A. The community likes acting like they are mature about things when sometimes they can be as immature as they like to call the DOA community.

I always found if funny that Taki's body paint and Ivy's boob window increasing never got an eye bat but doa due to how it first came out is the one to get shit. Of course most of it is people being selective but those guys are a lost cause anyway.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
boop. Honestly, Helena's C1 in 2 has been pretty demur compared to other fighters.
Helena's outfits in general are pretty classy compared to others.

And the FGC can be the pits and loves to cherry pick.
Tekken community is no picnic either no idea why DOA gets called out so much lol.

Almost everyone's C1 is SFW outfits and the DLC also has SFW outfits. Obviously the NSFW ones stick out like a sore thumb but people will cherry pick at the options. If the FG focused on playing the game instead of looking at the polygonal tits they would be in a better place. As good as the FG can be they can also be extremely immature about things. Violence and in some cases gore is fun but a bit of tits and ass is an outrage.

I always found if funny that Taki's body paint and Ivy's boob window increasing never got an eye bat but doa due to how it first came out is the one to get shit. Of course most of it is people being selective but those guys are a lost cause anyway.

I said in twitch how Ivy was one game away from pasties as a new default.
Her boobs got bigger and her outfit got smaller.

Skilletor

You must not have been around the threads here on gaf for those very things. I've seen other people talk about it as well on various forums.

Hell, there's even a picture making fun of Sophitia getting larger breasts in each game. There's a picture of some fake SC game that just has breasts fighting one another.

Didn't TN begin to go more mature and less fanservice in DOA5 to begin with, but then fans started crying about smaller breasts and shit, so TN just pretty much went "fuck it" and went full sex?

I remember when DOA5+ was revealed and the devs demoed the touch mode. I mean I don't mind some T&A and fanservice obvs, but when I saw them hanging on the character win pose screen, playing with Lei Fang's tits with their fingers, whilst some other females sat alongside them (I dunno if they were voice actresses or what), even I was shaking my head.

It seems weird to me that they would go from (after Itagaki leaving) wanting to get more serious about things, then doing a total U-turn. Maybe this was the road they would always go down, I dunno.

Vazra

I said in twitch how Ivy was one game away from pasties as a new default.
Her boobs got bigger and her outfit got smaller.

You might as well put Ivy naked like a Barbie doll and still people wont talk shit about the game. " It's just 1 or 2 characters so you can evade it"

Skilletor

Meh. Whatever.

DoA will be what it is. This conversation is tired.

I just hope the next one has good netcode so that I can play with people.

ShinMaruku

Well I think some people put some questions to them about netcode. One thing I never see Team Ninja get props for is at events the devlopers are there to talk to and you can get some answers. They are very accessible during the events they do turn up at. The director is at every tfc.

Squire

Banned
No, it's really not possible to avoid the shitty outfits in this game.

Also, the outfits are just part of the problem. If the mechanics were more solid, as they are in SoulCalibur, then I think the game would get a pass.

And honestly, the amount of fanservice in most other games pales in comparison to the shit in this game. You're bringing up one or two characters in SC, a character in KoF. This game's cast is comprised of 60% Mais, Ivys, and Takis. All with far more revealing and provocative outfits than you see in any other series. And I don't think it's about the community being "mature." It's about the community seeing what the developers focus on and choosing not to play it. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

And, honestly, I think there are far better fighters out there to spend time learning than DoA. I say this as a huge fan.

Agrred on all of this. I like DOA, I play it a ton, but I think there are better games out there and better studios to support.

ShinMaruku

As to better studios I'd only give that to ark system works because they are out there supporting their shit. Also Namco, SNK? Love their games but they give no support and they have no direction. Capcom? I think their suits have their heads up their ass. Sakurai def gets his props.

While I do think they should spend more time fixing the DoA formula and refining it rather than so much emphesis on costumes, much less the skimpy ones, it is what makes DoA itself rather than some copy cat. As it stands... DoA5 is the most fun/responsive (mostly) fighter I've played, having played basically all of them made in the last 10ish years. Very few games let alone fighters feel good to play, this is one of them.

Sure I think the costumes and character "assets" go a bit to far, but at the same time its their thing that makes them unique. That being said they did take a more serious approach with 5, and only went full blown campy with the dlc for the most part compared to the others in the series.

So much of the DoA hate comes from "hehe its just tits and ass, not a real game" thus people not even trying it either out of their own embarrassment or apprehension of what others would say. Kinda like when people don't want to admit to dating a fat chick, knowing damn well they love every second of it.

Would hate to see DoA tone it down personally. Then again I just like really blatant no fucks to give stuff in gaming, ala Senran Kagura, without being a fan of fanservice in itself.

Vazra

Actually DOA doesnt need to tone it down. Add filters to the outfits so people who dont want to see those outfits automatically see C1 online or something along those lines. The ones who want to tone down the game use the filters and move along.

Skilletor

Actually DOA doesnt need to tone it down. Add filters to the outfits so people who dont want to see those outfits automatically see C1 online or something along those lines. The ones who want to tone down the game use the filters and move along.

Would love this.

Also would love something like this for games with customization.

ShinMaruku

We should send that to Team Ninja.

Josephl64

I would say that's a perfect compromise, those who want to indulge in more risque costumes could do so without putting off others who don't.

Vazra

Would love this.

Also would love something like this for games with customization.

People who feel uncomfortable with the fan service would actually bother to try the game if they knew you can filter out the T&A in future games.

Considering DOA5 had some filters already for stages and character on random select I think they can expand on that easily. It's a matter of bringing/taking that to TN.

EDIT: How are you guys contacting TN btw? Twitter?

Yeah they respond in spurts to people's tweets every now and then. I've had a few replies/faves from them, so they do read them. It's just whether things get passed on to the devs.

We could do with some sort of survey though. Koei has done a few surveys for new games recently, I'm sure. They definitely have done one for Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. They might do one after DOA5LR comes out, so we could make that suggestion for DOA6 for sure, if they don't get it into LR.

About 2 and a half weeks till Halloween, which falls on a Friday. I dunno what people are doing but if we could get a tourney organised for that day/weekend, would be cool.

Griss

I've had this thought for over a year, it would fix so many issues with DoA.

Friends over? Playing in a room with family? Put on a costume filter that has only appropriate fighting costumes like Karate Gi's etc. Choose your own favourites for each character etc. And on the other hand the people who do play for sex appeal can have a filter that just leaves in the swimsuits and fetish wear.

Also, the outfits are just part of the problem. If the mechanics were more solid, as they are in SoulCalibur, then I think the game would get a pass.

How do you think the mechanics could be made more solid? I agree with you on the other stuff (I just don't care, personally), but I love DoA5's core gameplay and I'm wondering how you'd improve it, as you seem to know your stuff.

I have a feeling that changes that might make DoA better for high level players might make it less friendly for casuals like me and in that case I'd hate to see that happen. I've always considered DoA similar to being the 'Mario Kart' of fighters. Unlike most of them, anyone can pick it up and immediately have a chance, and look good doing it, but an decent player will still win 8 or 9 out of 10 matches vs a new player and an expert 10/10. In other fighters just learning to play is an obstacle, let alone jumping in, mashing out some combos and being at least somewhat competitive.

Josephl64

I've had this thought for over a year, it would fix so many issues with DoA.

Friends over? Playing in a room with family? Put on a costume filter that has only appropriate fighting costumes like Karate Gi's etc. Choose your own favourites for each character etc. And on the other hand the people who do play for sex appeal can have a filter that just leaves in the swimsuits and fetish wear.

The reverse doesn't really make sense to me, the people who tend to like sexy costumes don't really need/want a feature to toggle off safer clothing from what I've seen.

An "all" and just "safe" toggle is all I see that would be of use

Skilletor

How do you think the mechanics could be made more solid? I agree with you on the other stuff (I just don't care, personally), but I love DoA5's core gameplay and I'm wondering how you'd improve it, as you seem to know your stuff.

I have a feeling that changes that might make DoA better for high level players might make it less friendly for casuals like me and in that case I'd hate to see that happen. I've always considered DoA similar to being the 'Mario Kart' of fighters. Unlike most of them, anyone can pick it up and immediately have a chance, and look good doing it, but an decent player will still win 8 or 9 out of 10 matches vs a new player and an expert 10/10. In other fighters just learning to play is an obstacle, let alone jumping in, mashing out some combos and being at least somewhat competitive.

It would definitely be a balancing act, and I would never want to alienate casuals (too much), since I know that's the reason we're up to DoA5, TTT2, whatever. They pay the dollars. But one of the things that's so frustrating is that the game is very close, imo, to being as good as SC or VF, but too much of Itagaki's "I love to gamble" mentality permeates the design decisions. The problem I have is that it eschews in favor of the defender far too often.

In DoA, from the outset, it is a danger to attack. The counter system ensures this. Currently there are three different timings for counters (normal/counter/hi counter). I would get rid of the "normal" hold timing and make it so that it's only counter/hi counter. It's a difference of a few frames, but would help a lot.

So if I'm the attacker, and I've navigated your defense and managed to hit you. I'm rewarded with a stun. I'm not guaranteed any further damage for successfully landing an attack. THIS is the main problem that most people who play fighting games have with DoA. It's not the stupid outfits. It's this core tenet of pretty much every fighting game ever. In DoA, it's twisted on its head and it now becomes a RISK for me to attack you even though you've already made the mistake that put us into this position in the first place.

The stun game is here to stay in DoA. I accept that. But I think there are some things they could do, and have started to do things in DoA5, that could help. Sitdown stuns are an excellent start. I would like to see moves that are unholdable, and also more moves that make that prevent the next move from being countered. Or, as an alternative, maybe the person in the stun cannot hold from the initial hit of the stun. The way things work now, the more hits/damage you do in a stun, the higher they are launched. If you are guaranteed one free hit on stun, then you can do a launcher, but since you've done little damage prior, the launch isn't very high, so the juggles you can do will be limited. I think this would be a great way to preserve the risk/reward mentality that DoA has always had.

Frame data is stupid silly in this game. The best, and often only way, to punish is with throws, and the frame data is designed around that. Lots of attacks are unsafe (another downside to attacking), so it's a guess to mount an offense. It doesn't need to be drastic changes. I'm not looking for anything like Tekken. I think DoA3.1/.2 was about perfect in this regard.

I think you should be able to escape throws. Not hi-counter throws, or throws during recovery, but if somebody just runs up and throws me, I think I should be able to get out of it.

I typed a lot. Geez.

I don't think any of these things would take away anything more casual players like about the series. I think they're pretty small changes individually that would add up to an even better game overall. I love this game and would love to see it become even more popular. Until that time, I understand why people avoid it.

Ultimadrago

The thing is that DOA slutty outfits are not the main outfits of the characters. The FG players are being ignorant and if they wanted to play the game seriously without the provocative outfits they could do it. Also SC games have enough fan service itself but since it was established before the fan service people give it a green light to the game which is BS considering the redesign of Sophitia, Ivy never ending growing tits and Taki among others offering some T&A. The community likes acting like they are mature about things when sometimes they can be as immature as they like to call the DOA community.

boop. Honestly, Helena's C1 in 2 has been pretty demur compared to other fighters.
Helena's outfits in general are pretty classy compared to others.

And the FGC can be the pits and loves to cherry pick.
Tekken community is no picnic either no idea why DOA gets called out so much lol.

Yep. Seriously laughable.

As long as DoA profits for Team Ninja: Never change DoA. Never change.

The support they give to their community too. Admirable. Those that want to ignore that tier of connection are free to go to more negligent developers because they're too insecure or salty about general outfits/designs and hit the fucking bricks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That said, I don't mind the toggle feature idea, but DoA should not "tone itself down" on a whole in an attempt to appeal towards a community that has always had its vocally fickle and hypocritical circles.

People who feel uncomfortable with the fan service would actually bother to try the game if they knew you can filter out the T&A in future games.

Considering DOA5 had some filters already for stages and character on random select I think they can expand on that easily. It's a matter of bringing/taking that to TN.

EDIT: How are you guys contacting TN btw? Twitter?

I believe Twitter is the best method with them. They also have their Facebook pages, but much more noise there I believe.

Kumubou

I think if Team Ninja wanted to make a serious effort to tone down the fanservice and make a serious fighting game, they would need to make a completely new series -- there's too much baggage attached to DoA. Even if they made changes (like how it looked like in 5 initially), they would just piss off their current fanbase... and for what? It would be like making everyone in Arcana Heart look 10 years older.

On that note, in America at least, the aesthetics do matter -- to a point. Something like Soul Calibur or KoF can get a pass to a point because the core mechanics are more highly regarded, whereas something like Arcana Heart would never get a chance, even if it was the best 2D fighter ever made (honestly, it's a legitimately good game -- but that doesn't matter at all). It's also about the marketing: DoA has a fair number of male characters but no one cares, partially because the female ones are all that get pushed (and, in turn, are all anyone cares about). I suspect that Tecmo saw the writing on the wall at point and decided to continue as-is partially because it's what they want to do (take a look at how female characters are handled in most of their other recent games) and partially because that's what their fanbase wants.

I think some of the suggestions here are good ideas but they're all minor; they're not going to change the perception of the series.

Skilletor

I think if Team Ninja wanted to make a serious effort to tone down the fanservice and make a serious fighting game, they would need to make a completely new series -- there's too much baggage attached to DoA. Even if they made changes (like how it looked like in 5 initially), they would just piss off their current fanbase... and for what? It would be like making everyone in Arcana Heart look 10 years older.

On that note, in America at least, the aesthetics do matter -- to a point. Something like Soul Calibur or KoF can get a pass to a point because the core mechanics are more highly regarded, whereas something like Arcana Heart would never get a chance, even if it was the best 2D fighter ever made (honestly, it's a legitimately good game -- but that doesn't matter at all). It's also about the marketing: DoA has a fair number of male characters but no one cares, partially because the female ones are all that get pushed (and, in turn, are all anyone cares about). I suspect that Tecmo saw the writing on the wall at point and decided to continue as-is partially because it's what they want to do (take a look at how female characters are handled in most of their other recent games) and partially because that's what their fanbase wants.

I think some of the suggestions here are good ideas but they're all minor; they're not going to change the perception of the series.

Probably true. I'd like to see a weapons based fighter from them.

raven777

some screenshots

543C957B3352C40003

543C957C3352830003

543C957D3344DC000D

543C95863A532C0034

543C95983B44510010

Squire

Banned
I just bought the costumes for the characters I use most. They really did a good job with these even though they're still repeating ideas and reusing old assets.

TN Twitter account says they carry over to LR, same as any other DLC. I pretty much take the tweet and the price point of the whole set as confirmation these won't be on the LR disc.

raven777

holy shit DOA5LR is getting localized in my native language(korean). They didn't localized all the previous DOA5 games.

I want to get the localized version but I am not sure if they will make the DLCs I have purchased from US version compatible.

DOA5 have worldwide server for the online mutiplayer, right?

Top Bottom