• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

Demoskinos

So, I plan on buying this via the PSN store. Is there any news if there are any costumes for pre-ordering on the PSN store? If physical discs are the only way to get the bonus costumes thats a bummer as I'm pretty set on ditching physical media right now.

You know, that's actually a good point.

If anything, that reconfirms even more that pre-order costumes definitely will be added as paid DLC later on. They would have been anyway, but it's a bit of a slap for digital buyers if they didn't offer them up at some point. So even though I haven't seen anything about it, they'll be DLC eventually anyway.

ShinMaruku

Some of the fan art would not pass muster. personally I don't mind that it looks so wonky, it can symbolize how Phase 4 feels with that outfit.. What we should really be talking about is Alpha having costumes. Or how's really slick they added phase 4 where they can use same assets in their beach vids and say "Oh it's not that Misty."

Hubb

Some of the fan art would not pass muster. personally I don't mind that it looks so wonky, it can symbolize how Phase 4 feels with that outfit.. What we should really be talking about is Alpha having costumes. Or how's really slick they added phase 4 where they can use same assets in their beach vids and say "Oh it's not that Misty."

Well the fan art wouldn't have to pass muster. Some of the art chosen let alone submitted were bad pieces of art. They just had to get a good design across and then it is up to Team Ninja to bring that design to life.

None of this matters though. I realize I shouldn't rag on a costume I wont be buying for a character I don't play. I am sure there are tons of costumes I like that others think are terrible.

ShinMaruku

I will be rocking that/ Because I love the idea about her but just need the defense to make her work. Love those 60% combos. 2 Combos and death.

Squire

Banned
At least most outfits have some theme or concept behind them.

There's ragged clothing, very exposed (but by design, not raggedness!) midriff, handcuffs, pink high heels and some weird metal fitted around her boobs. No cohesion or sense.

WHAT IS THIS MEANT TO BE.

It's a fan-designed costume, right?

Phase's new costume looks ok.
I think its meant to look like its what she was wearing when she they were conducting clone experiments on her in a lab or something.
I would have given her black shoes and a bare ass, but even without those things, it still looks kinda cool.

Edit: Phases concept art...

Blbob-KCEAE6l2X.jpg:large

I'd have preferred the below design instead, but I dont think it was even in either of the costume comps.

NTSDRiR.jpg

I'm sure these will be included on-disc anyway. I've no reason to think these fan costumes they've been advertising since LR's reveal will be DLC.

Squire

Banned
I'm sure these will be included on-disc anyway. I've no reason to think these fan costumes they've been advertising since LR's reveal will be DLC.

I don't even know why people are worried about this. The DLC always gets their own trailers. Everything appearing in non-DLC footage just comes with the game.

They did the same thing with 5U.

Dantis

Phase's new costume looks ok.
I think its meant to look like its what she was wearing when she they were conducting clone experiments on her in a lab or something.
I would have given her black shoes and a bare ass, but even without those things, it still looks kinda cool.

Edit: Phases concept art...

Blbob-KCEAE6l2X.jpg:large

Interestingly, Team Ninja changed a lot of the outfit. Added the pink high heels, and random straps and whatnot.

ShinMaruku

Some costumes they did add some touches. I ike the pink heels it's Misty after all and she loves pink. It must be so strong her clones love it too. :p

Eolz

Interestingly, Team Ninja changed a lot of the outfit. Added the pink high heels, and random straps and whatnot.

Yeah, I actually quite liked the original concept. Just the lack of high heels would be way better already.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Fourthed. It's annoying and not everyone is going to know who you're talking about.

I'll stop calling her Misty when her name is not Kasumi. How about that?

That's the thing-- the character's name is Kasumi, not Misty. Nobody translates or anglicizes names that way. Why are you not referring to the other characters like that? Like Misty's sister Colorful Sound or Ninja Side Story main character Dragon Peregrine Falcon? :p

ShinMaruku

I call him Tommy for obvious reasons. And if you watched Pokemon you would know that Misty is called Kasumi in Japan.

I don't know why you folks let me have my fun. It's obvious you guys know who I am talking about.

Lyte Edge

I call him Tommy for obvious reasons.

Also just as nonsensical. And what are these obvious reasons? Please don't say it has something to do with Power Rangers, LOL.

And if you watched Pokemon you would know that Misty is called Kasumi in Japan.

Like I said- the character's name is Kasumi, not Misty. Nobody translates or anglicizes names that way.

They changed the names of almost all (or is it all? I have no idea- I didn't watch Pokemon) the characters when they translated, to make the character names easier to identify with and remember among kids in Western countries. It's a typical practice, hence why "Satoshi" became "Ash Kechum." And no, Satoshi doesn't mean "ash" in Japanese.

It just so happens that with the little girl character, they were able to use an English equivalent. But nobody talks like this. I don't call my wife by the anglicized version of her name...I call her by her actual Japanese name.

ShinMaruku

What you mean nonsensical?

Tommy spirit animal is the perigrine falcon, he has the dragon zord, he's the most awesome dude they have there. And they both swoop in from nowhere.

It's all there man.
Don't judge me for my nicknames. :p

Lyte Edge

What you mean nonsensical?

Tommy spirit animal is the perigrine falcon, he has the dragon zord, he's the most awesome dude they have there. And they both swoop in from nowhere.

It's all there man.
Don't judge me for my nicknames. :p

dead.png

I actually like that Bayman costume, cool mask and combat skirt thing. And that fanart design is hideous. Only slightly improved by TN.

I'm here all week guys. :E

This makes my use of these names all the more compelling.

I don't really care about the nicknames but it sounds like you are just blatantly trolling people to annoy them?

ShinMaruku

It would be trolling if I had more than 3 nicknames. I just like these names and some of the reactions to them sometimes makes me laugh.

One of the best things about that Phase 4 concept art is the short hair. Its too bad TN havent given that to P4 as it would really help make her look like her own character, instead of just being boring old Kasumi. I still have hope that Phase will get a unique hairstyle for LR though. TN may suprize me.

DR2K

Banned
One of the best things about that Phase 4 concept art is the short hair. Its too bad TN havent given that to P4 as it would really help make her look like her own character, instead of just being boring old Kasumi. I still have hope that Phase will get a unique hairstyle for LR though. TN may suprize me.

She doesn't have short hair in that art, the artist was just showing the back designs.

She doesn't have short hair in that art, the artist was just showing the back designs.

That thought occurred to me, but in the small pic of her up top, it definitely looks like the artist gave her a distinct short haired cut.
Either way, Phase 4 would look good with short hair.

DR2K

Banned
That thought occurred to me, but in the small pic of her up top, it definitely looks like the artist gave her a distinct short haired cut.
Either way, Phase 4 would look good with short hair.

Well they drew strands of hair on to indicate otherwise. Of course a short hair do would look nice.

In North America, pre-orders at GameStop will include the “Ninja” (for Ayane, Hayabusa, Hayate, and Kasumi), and Aloha (for Ayane, Hitomi, Kasumi, and Mila) costume sets. Pre-orders at Amazon and Best Buy will include the “Showstopper” (for Christie, Helena, Lisa, and Tina) and “Beach Party” (for Kokoro, Leifang, Momiji, and Rachel) sets.

In Europe, pre-orders at GAME will include the “Ninja” (for Ayane, Hayabusa, Hayate, and Kasumi) and “Aloha” (for Ayane, Hitomi, Kasumi, and Mila) costume sets. Pre-orders at Shop To will include the “Ninja” and “Showstopper” (for Christie, Helena, Lisa, and Tina) sets. And pre-orders at Centresoft and independent retailers will include the “Ninja” and “Beach Party” (for Kokoro, Leifang, Momiji, and Rachel) sets.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Any word on whether the steam version will be based on the current gen or last gen version of the game?

Top Bottom