• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Deluxe Remastered Announced

Aion002

Gold Member
I take my last post back, it's definitely a lot more work than just better character and lighting. Textures and even background environments are added / improved.

GRAm2KTWgAA3kG8
Frank Tarantino West

quentin tarantino lol GIF by Lionsgate Home Entertainment

CamHostage

Dino Crisis wasn’t good change my mind.

Good or not, it's bizarre that Capcom has ignored it in the remaster circuit (especially since changing the control/camera system away from the limitations of pre-rendered backgrounds could really improve its action... although maybe that's one of the problems, that the encounters are so specific and work in the original because the limitations force certain tactics and responses that a 3D game would break the experience. Like, there are spots in Dino Crisis where a 20 ft T-Rex somehow sneaks up behind you, and that would be much more silly if you could look around you as well as if the architecture of the maps had to be realistic instead of totally illogical but apt for the encounters.)

DR on the other hand though I think this game is greatly apt for a remaster or even an expanded remake with more play space. It's still fun to play, surprising to find new stuff in, and could be enhanced with new graphics tuning and engine enhancement.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Ill give this a shot if they remove the time limit bullshit (which Im doubting since it's such a huge component of the game).

SALMORE

Love the game to death but i hope they add some kind of dodging mechanic and makes Frank run a little faster without any upgrade

Reactions: Isa

CGNoire

Im not seeing the visual upgrade others here are?

Looks like the original with its orginal 720p vasline resolution out of the way so we can finally appreciate the asset quality.

Futaleufu

As someone who rescued everyone and played every possible scenario, this is one of the few games I never want to replay ever again.

Unless they change the mechanics, Frank being able to defeat a boss is tied to knowing his weakpoint and/or random chance of a specific level up (like speed)

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
As someone who rescued everyone and played every possible scenario, this is one of the few games I never want to replay ever again.

Unless they change the mechanics, Frank being able to defeat a boss is tied to knowing his weakpoint and/or random chance of a specific level up (like speed)
Yup. I love Dead Rising 1 and 2, but after getting every single achievement in both of them, including playing 1 for 14 hours straight, I am fully satisfied and have no desire to go back. But I will happily recommend them to anyone who hasn't yet played them as they are truly some of the most fun zombie games ever made.

Kikorin

Ah yes, I remember Dead Rising as a true next gen moment, when console generations still made sense. First time I've seen the number of zombies on screen at the same time running on my new Xbox 360 I thinked "yeah, no way this could ever works on GameCube/PS2/Xbox". Good time, this is also the best chapter of the series, I hope in some works on gameplay side too and I could be in.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I hated the timed mechanic. Stressed me out.

I mean, sure, but... good.

It's a unique challenge, and while I don't mind messing with this world just as a fuck-around open world zombie smasher, the timer made Dead Rising specific and should be appreciated. I think it should be a permanent part of the franchise, with no-timer being an optional unlockable after you play the "real game" with the proper mechanics. (And even with the open world, I feel there should be certain rooms or challenges possible to find only if you are on the clock. The finishing screen should continue in consecutive playthroughs to feel like, Holy shit how did i survive all that this time? )

I know it's not a normal game experience, and I know it's even more frustrating because you know other games do this kind of open-world "normally", but where else are you going to get this kind of stressed out feeling where you can overcome it by trying again?

Last edited:

Bridges

They tried removing the timer and it killed the series. Sorry but if you don't like the timer the game isn't for you, this isn't dynasty warriors with zombies even though many people (including the devs at a certain point) acted like it was.

You are given a finite amount of time to uncover a mystery while helping out survivors, exploring, killing psychopaths and having fun. This involves having to make tough choices of where you will go at what times, or who gets saved and left behind. Then, through repeated playthroughs, you grow stronger and optimize your routes similar to a rouge like, accomplishing more and more each time until you win.

3 Had a clock but removed all the tension of choice and time scarcity which made it much less enjoyable and memorable to the first 2. 4 removed the timer all together and it was an atrocity.

Not every game is for everyone, Dead Rising needs to stick to the timer or stay dead. Nothing good will come from trying to change its identity to appeal to the lowest common denominator

Mini Chainsaw with some books breaks the game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think some of the confusion here is that this is a remaster of a remaster. It was originally an Xbox 360 exclusive from 2006-2016. They released a remastered version for the PS4, Xbox One, and PC in 2016. Now this one is I guess a "deluxe edition" of that remaster - essentially a remastered version of the remastered game from 8 years ago.

This looks like a massive upgrade over the 2006 version, and a marginal upgrade over the 2016 version. If all you've played is the 2016 remaster, this isn't as big of a leap as the people who only played the original.

adamsapple adamsapple posted a good comparison shot on the last page

GRAm2KTWgAA3kG8

The character is higher res (the camera isn't?, maybe it's just out of focus here?) but you can clearly see the interior of the helicopter is totally redone and doesn't look as blocky. Better shadows and lighting (look at Frank's neck / shirt collar in particular). Fabric textures also look much better here as opposed to polygons laying over each other.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Looks like the original with its orginal 720p vasline resolution out of the way so we can finally appreciate the asset quality.

It's not like the recent RE remakes, but is definitely upgraded. The assets are improved, lighting, draw distance, shadows etc are all much better than the PS4/XBO remaster.

It's an enhanced remaster. Not just a resolution bump on the existing PS4/XBO version.

zM0QxeS.png
IElm9wc.png
dcRb5ZU.png
wp9MsJy.png

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
This is a cheap ass cash grab and nothing like the RE remakes.
lol I actually disagree

This looks closer to a remake.

Even then using the term "remastered" doesn't seem to fit the footage that was shown, as in this isn't merely changing a resolution and frame rate, that would be "cheap", to remake models and textures like this, this is in the ballpark of a remake, not a remaster

So I don't see anything cheap about that btw.

Go look at the Metal Gear Solid remasters, go look at the Silent Hill remasters that happened last gen, that is cheap sir lol

peek

It's not like the recent RE remakes, but is definitely upgraded. The assets are improved, lighting, draw distance, shadows etc are all much better than the PS4/XBO remaster.

It's an enhanced remaster. Not just a resolution bump on the existing PS4/XBO version.

zM0QxeS.png
IElm9wc.png
dcRb5ZU.png
wp9MsJy.png
Gross. His face looks weird af.

Tiamat2san

Fuck yeah!
Day one.
Dead rising is one of my favourite game of all time.
I hope they will announce the release date soon.

zM0QxeS.png
While the assets are clearly of higher fidelity since the game is character driven the changes will likely be unpallatable to many. If you compare the two Frank Wests in their expressions and hair styling you can already tell they are very different. The original is fond of himself as well as sceptical and uncertain of what he is seeing. Meanwhile the other is unkept, somewhat deranged, and a bit obsessed.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
FUCK yes! I just bought DR4 on Steam yesterday(holds up well and is super fun), me and a buddy were just talking about being on a zombie kick yesterday and now this 8 hours later! I manifested this. You're welcome.

Last edited:

jcorb

It's gonna be crazy to not have the original voice actor. But I'll say, Frank West *looks* the part. And Capcom has done a bang up job with the RE remakes, from what I hear.

I just hope they keep all the crazy, goofy Capcom references and over-the-top psychos. Also, I recall the original having some pretty sexy-looking women, I hope that doesn't get "toned down" for the new game. I think the gals in the main story were dressed fairly modestly anyways, but definitely remember some scantily-clad women zombies. Which doesn't really do anything for me, but just part of the OG's charm, imo.

ElRenoRaven

I had the old version's last port but now knowing this is coming count me in. The OG Dead Rising was one of the games that defined that era for me. It was simple and just pure fun. I think I'll now wait for this deluxe remaster to replay it again.

CGNoire

I think some of the confusion here is that this is a remaster of a remaster. It was originally an Xbox 360 exclusive from 2006-2016. They released a remastered version for the PS4, Xbox One, and PC in 2016. Now this one is I guess a "deluxe edition" of that remaster - essentially a remastered version of the remastered game from 8 years ago.

This looks like a massive upgrade over the 2006 version, and a marginal upgrade over the 2016 version. If all you've played is the 2016 remaster, this isn't as big of a leap as the people who only played the original.

adamsapple adamsapple posted a good comparison shot on the last page

GRAm2KTWgAA3kG8

The character is higher res (the camera isn't?, maybe it's just out of focus here?) but you can clearly see the interior of the helicopter is totally redone and doesn't look as blocky. Better shadows and lighting (look at Frank's neck / shirt collar in particular). Fabric textures also look much better here as opposed to polygons laying over each other.

zM0QxeS.png
IElm9wc.png
dcRb5ZU.png
wp9MsJy.png
Well Ill be. I only played the 2006 version. Seems my memories jacked.

CGNoire

My main hopes are...

1. A heavy attack button so we can actual do combos with the items we have. ( hate one button attacks...shits boring)

2. No timer.

Top Bottom