• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Deluxe Remastered Announced

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
They've already 'remastered' this.

So this is Dead Rising Remastered: Remastered.

'Duhhhhhhhhh games suck now lol but why' - THIS is why.

Reactions: WoJ

mrcroket

It's a game I enjoyed at the time, but I had to "force" myself to play it, as I hate the timer concept. I doubt I'll ever have that patience again.

VulcanRaven

I liked how they had to mention on the European cover art that this game is not related to Dawn of the Dead. Basically free marketing. :D

iIdTg0l.jpeg

Last edited:

fatmarco

Capcom made a big mistake handing this franchise off to a Western studio. I wonder if they would ever consider getting some of the original team back together and having them make a sequel to the first game..
Dead Rising 2 was very good though, as it had proper Capcom oversight and Japanese developers aiding production. I didn't find 2 too far removed tonally or conceptually from the first game. The problems started occurring when two things happened:

- They dropped the Japanese oversight for the third game and they allowed the Vancouver team complete creative control. Dead Rising 3 is still a good game with a lot of charm and clear gameplay improvements, but it lost a lot of its Japanese quirkiness in the process and they overly simplified the systems and difficulty a bit too much in favour of things that further removed the game from the original concept for the series.

- Dead Rising 4 had an essentially different development team behind it versus Dead Rising 3 despite it being the exact same studio. Look at the head Director, Producers, Writers, Artists, Programmers etc. on its wikipedia.

So I don't think handing it off to Western developers was necessarily a problem, it was more the way in which Capcom managed and hired talent at that studio that severely damaged the franchise.

Obligatory:

Bridges

Dead Rising 2 was very good though, as it had proper Capcom oversight and Japanese developers aiding production. I didn't find 2 too far removed tonally or conceptually from the first game. The problems started occurring when two things happened:
Completely agree, I think Dead Rising 2 and Off The Record are classics and worthy successors to the original game, they did a fantastic job improving on the game mechanically without removing what made the first game so special. I think the original Dead Rising is still the best but 2 is barely a step behind it, it's incredible game. Like you said, 3 was pretty good too but the writing was on the wall as far as what was coming next.
I liked how they had to mention on the European cover art that this game is not related to Dawn of the Dead. Basically free marketing. :D

iIdTg0l.jpeg
In the U.S. version they had a disclaimer on the title screen!

Isa

Ah yes, I remember Dead Rising as a true next gen moment, when console generations still made sense. First time I've seen the number of zombies on screen at the same time running on my new Xbox 360 I thinked "yeah, no way this could ever works on GameCube/PS2/Xbox". Good time, this is also the best chapter of the series, I hope in some works on gameplay side too and I could be in.
Myself as well, I still remember being very impressed with all of the texture variety and clarity throughout the whole game. For example it was one of if not the first game where each section such as the supermarket had unique items in the environment and that just made the atmosphere and vibe so much better. Seeing all the food and everything was great, so its funny to me when even modern games skimp on the environments. I know, it eats up the budget and resources but even all these years later its one of those things that left a big impression.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This thread had me feeling nostalgic so I reinstalled the last gen remaster to play tonight. I probably won't buy whatever this is but I do enjoy Dead Rising. I noticed that the first game isn't on sale in the Steam sale, but the other games are.

Edit: I swear the first game was 29.99 on Steam yesterday but it's only 10 bucks right now. I must have missed something.

Last edited:
What's their obsession from 2 onwards with his weird receding hairline? He's always looked like shit after DR1. And while not necessarily bad, it's not Frank without the original voice actor.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We're gonna see more of this game in 6~ ish hours. Platforms, game engine, release date, price etc most likely.

Damien Grief

Neo Member
I'm actually looking forward to this. Would be cool to have things updated for modern hardware even if the original still holds up pretty well.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Steam page is up with new screenshots:

ss_b13acca0db1cfb646f5f967af0c16074e3b685ca.1920x1080.jpg

ss_d2940e11d547184bb796764240c9def6af92fd66.1920x1080.jpg

ss_3a806a30acd43b96ad5f71df088be57e6ea639e2.1920x1080.jpg

ss_2906287591c4f8b7d09ede7674a44a6dbcd8d331.1920x1080.jpg

ss_9eef385f6ba91e3224f0022cd30a790bc9c09a2c.1920x1080.jpg

ss_4a8fd157c4934ac4c409fa0d67cabc68525602d1.1920x1080.jpg

ss_2a8b6122d64ab779d814cb1d124e61c2296c78c9.1920x1080.jpg

Looks somewhere in-between a traditional "remaster" and the REmake games, IMO.

No way I'm paying $50 for this though. Probably when it's $20 or so.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Two of them, no? Then you run to grab the magazines that increase durability.

Yep, 3 magazines + his hand-held saw makes mince meat of 99% of enemies and bosses. Very easy way to OP your way through the mall.

Top Bottom