• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

ajim

Mike M said:
I had a similar thought during that one chapter where you took a gondola at high speed down a looooooooooong hallway. I was totally primed the entire time for a leaper to jump off a wall into the car or something, but nothing happened. Then I completed the objective and waited for the good 'ole "Places you previously cleared are now infested again!" mechanic to kick in and thought for SURE something would attack the gondola this time on the way back, but still nothing : /
Thats what I liked about the game. Places you expected something to happen, didnt. And vice-versa.

The game kept me on my toes a lot more playing out like that.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
ajim said:
Thats what I liked about the game. Places you expected something to happen, didnt. And vice-versa.

The game kept me on my toes a lot more playing out like that.

I agree, for the first 5 levels.

The back half of the game? Every time they had an oppurtunity to throw a baddie at you they did. If you were in a zero g room, you could be sure after moving something a certain distance (or a certain number of things) a couple of baddies would come out. Either the creepers or the rocket babies.

I thought it became very predictable what baddies were going to show up when.

For instance, if you enter a room with a bunch of dead bodies there is an 80% chance you will go back through that area and face huggers will reanimate those corpses.

Mike M

Nick N
StoOgE said:
I agree, for the first 5 levels.

The back half of the game? Every time they had an oppurtunity to throw a baddie at you they did. If you were in a zero g room, you could be sure after moving something a certain distance (or a certain number of things) a couple of baddies would come out. Either the creepers or the rocket babies.

I thought it became very predictable what baddies were going to show up when.

For instance, if you enter a room with a bunch of dead bodies there is an 80% chance you will go back through that area and face huggers will reanimate those corpses.

I'd like to see a survival horror game where every situation where you *could* be ambushed be randomized so that one play through nothing happens, but then on another monsters come out of the wood works or something. Just to mix things up.

L00P

Those fast necromorphs ALWAYS startled me. I fucking froze when a bunch of them appeared out of nowhere, while I was trying to kill the regenerating zombie. I kinda just stood there in shock, until they killed me. You have no idea how shocked I was.

I had to take a deep breath for a few minutes after that. I really thought I was gonna faint:lol

Anyway, great game with some really intense moments. I was kind of disappointed about how easy the final boss was, though. That thing never even hit me.

Aesius

Playing through this for the first time and damn - it's awesome.

I'm about halfway done (just killed the first boss) and I have to say - I have no complaints whatsoever. The pacing is perfect, the controls are great, combat is satisfying, the upgrade system is fun. It's all good baby. Oh yeah - GREAT atmosphere (of course).

The only minor complaint would be the asteroid shooting sequence, but it only took me a couple of tries. I expected it to be super hard after everything I had read, but it wasn't bad. That's actually the only time I have died (playing on normal). I've been buying up a ton of power nodes and upgrading like a madman so that might have something to do with it.

For everyone that thought just surviving the turret minigame was bad... Try getting the achievement/trophy for keeping your shields over 50%.

119738.jpg

I had to listen to classical music to try to keep myself from throwing my controller through the drywall. :lol

New Dead Space book on the way, sounds interesting:

214808-1.jpg

"One of the most compelling storytelling aspects of Dead Space has been the Church of Unitology: its origins, power, and role in Dead Space," says Tor editor, Eric Raab. "Writer B.K. Evenson gets into the terrifying aspects of mob mentality like no other writer today. This isn’t only a great story within the Dead Space universe; it's a great novel on its own."

Source

Altman be praised!

Minamu

Hopefully it'll be easily available everywhere. Come hang in the Dead Space 2 thread :D The book got posted yesterday I believe.

Hyunkel6

I got the game for $7 at my local EB last Friday. Damn, it is so awesome. I'm in chapter 9, and
Hammond
just got gruesomely killed. I find the game is pretty generous in terms of save points and money. It also gets less and less scary since the monsters are not very varied in terms of their patterns. Can't wait to finish it and discover what the story is all about.

Minamu said:
Hopefully it'll be easily available everywhere. Come hang in the Dead Space 2 thread :D The book got posted yesterday I believe.
I'm wary of the sequel... But it sounds like that's where the action is so maybe I will.

Hyunkel6 said:
I got the game for $7 at my local EB last Friday. Damn, it is so awesome. I'm in chapter 9, and
Hammond
just got gruesomely killed. I find the game is pretty generous in terms of save points and money. It also gets less and less scary since the monsters are not very varied in terms of their patterns. Can't wait to finish it and discover what the story is all about.
The story gets a little confused but overall you have a lot to look forward to, the last level is pretty amazing.

Neuromancer said:
For everyone that thought just surviving the turret minigame was bad... Try getting the achievement/trophy for keeping your shields over 50%.

119738.jpg

I had to listen to classical music to try to keep myself from throwing my controller through the drywall. :lol
I got that trophy essentially by accident on a hard mode playthrough after giving up trying to get it on easier modes. Either I was having one of those zen moments of gaming talent (unlikely, since I am not very good at videogames) or the placement of asteroids is random and unconnected to the actual difficulty level the game is set at.

icarus-daedelus said:
I got that trophy essentially by accident on a hard mode playthrough after giving up trying to get it on easier modes. Either I was having one of those zen moments of gaming talent (unlikely, since I am not very good at videogames) or the placement of asteroids is random and unconnected to the actual difficulty level the game is set at.
I have heard that difficulty didn't make a difference for those parts. Still you either must have been really good or really lucky.

Hyunkel6

Oh god, biggest scare in the game was definitely right before the ending, when
zombie Nicole jumps at Isaac. I hope Isaac isn't dead. :(
. I can't remember the last I jumped off my seat like that.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game. I can't wait for the sequel! :D

Mike M

Nick N
In regards to the ending
I think the zombie Nicole is a hallucination on account that she doesn't really look like any of the Necromorphs, but is a dead ringer for the deranged miners that attack you in the first chapter of Dead Space: Extraction while your character is... hallucinating!

Mike M said:
In regards to the ending
I think the zombie Nicole is a hallucination on account that she doesn't really look like any of the Necromorphs, but is a dead ringer for the deranged miners that attack you in the first chapter of Dead Space: Extraction while your character is... hallucinating!
I agree. I think mostly they put it in for the typical-American-horror-movie-style shock ending and it's completely meaningless. Anyway the fact that Isaac is in DS2 and it's not a prequel, should be a pretty good indication of how that all panned out.

NinjaBoiX

I adore this game. It has every base covered when it comes to gameplay, tight smooth fast controls, scary and challenging enemies, that HUD, awesome visual and sound design and it is genuinely unnerving. But the best thing is how it all ties together, like every aspect of the design works perfectely with one and other, there is never a point in that game when you can't do what you want. They better not go all Resi 5 with DS2, I don't want another third-person action game out of my Dead Space franchise, give me ore of the same please!

Sadist

Ah, after finishing Bioshock earlier this week my venture into PC gaming (and getting around a few classics, well this gen essentials) has led me to Dead Space. I kinda know the ending because I played Extraction on Wii, but man I'm psyched. I'm still in the first chapter and I love the atmosphere. Excellent. I even had a WTF DUDE moment when a Necromorph was standing there behind me. Christ :lol

Also, I'll do my shopping in the UK from now on. I got my copy for only £ 5 (!) from Zavvi.

Sadist

I just completed the game and wow, what a great time I had.

After a while the game wasn't that scary anymore, but those Necromorphs were freaky as hell. And dangerous. The game's scarefactor went down a notch, but the survivalpart stayed and that's what I loved most about it. Especialy fighting in Zero-G and no-oxygen area's were quite entertaining and at times pretty hard. But the best part about the game is the way dismember the many necromorphs. Sooooo awesome. I loved when one of them was still alive and I curbstomped their faces. Ah, good stuff.

Favourite part in the game was the stuff with the Valor ship and those Stasis Slashers. So fucked up. Also loved the two fights with the Regenerator, the last one was pretty nifty, when you start the engine and burn the fucker to a crisp.

What I didn't like were the cheap kills when
tentacles got Isaac and you had to shoot them.
Some angles were just impossible and I needed to replay those parts several times.

All in all, the adventures of Mr. Clarke are awesome. Can't wait for 2.

Sadist said:
Some angles were just impossible and I needed to replay those parts several times.
Yeah those could be tough but I always thought they looked awesome. I remember the first time it happened and I had no idea what to do. I was messily devoured.

Sadist

The many death animations were pretty cool as well, especialy when Isaac killed Crawlers and Lurkers :lol

After I saw the ending and looking at what is known for Dead Space 2, I started thinking about the fact that
Isaac was "attacked" by Necromorph Nicole which is probably one of the effects of the marker, it would be kind of awesome if Dead Space 2 could have an Insanity system like Eternal Darkness.

Minamu

Sadist said:

All in all, the adventures of Mr. Clarke are awesome. Can't wait for 2.
I thought most of them were pretty easy. However, when you had to do the same with the end boss, that was pretty damn hard (mostly because of the angles & weird controls).

jax (old)

Banned
Finished this about a week -2 ago. Game isn't zomg amazing but its neat and I'll buy a sequel. The overt monster closet/swarm of the final chapters ... got predictable. Didn't see a need to replay once I was done and uninstalled it.

desertdroog

Finally. After months of saying I was going to...announcing I was just about to...I finally took the plunge.

Opened up my 2 year old copy of Dead Space and made it to level 2 where I was summarily destroyed after taking an elevator into a lower level of an area.

Just rocking the inital gun at this point. I have paid attention and only kept one node in my inventory for those doors I come across to loot them as needed.

I have the appropriate sound system to make the game cause me to stop and wonder what the hell that noise was behind me...and the whispers..those whispers...Fantastic!

Here's hoping I can actually get one or two runs out of it before other games drop this summer-fall.

I really need to play this myself. Got it in a B2G1 free last summer at work, but aside from tossing it in my PS3 to see how it looked and controlled, I've never actually played it yet.

Yasae

Banned
desertdroog said:
Finally. After months of saying I was going to...announcing I was just about to...I finally took the plunge.

Opened up my 2 year old copy of Dead Space and made it to level 2 where I was summarily destroyed after taking an elevator into a lower level of an area.

Just rocking the inital gun at this point. I have paid attention and only kept one node in my inventory for those doors I come across to loot them as needed.

I have the appropriate sound system to make the game cause me to stop and wonder what the hell that noise was behind me...and the whispers..those whispers...Fantastic!

Here's hoping I can actually get one or two runs out of it before other games drop this summer-fall.
You don't need much more than the plasma cutter, so don't be afraid to upgrade it heavily. I always found the Ripper (shoots and holds saw blades) to be a good fallback for dealing with heavy swarms. It starts off a bit weaker than you think, but gets substantially better with upgrades.

The game gives you ammo mostly for the guns you currently hold. Don't worry too much about that.

desertdroog

To get the Plasma Cutter only achievement...If I buy and hold another weapon to garner the ammo strewn about, will it kill that achievement if I never use those weapons?

Or do I have to just collect the schematics and let them sit in the shop?

Loonz

desertdroog said:
To get the Plasma Cutter only achievement...If I buy and hold another weapon to garner the ammo strewn about, will it kill that achievement if I never use those weapons?

Or do I have to just collect the schematics and let them sit in the shop?

You can buy and upgrade other weapons, just don't shoot them at the enemies. Use only the cutter. It's not that hard anymay, the cutter does a really good work, especially when is conveniently upgraded.

EDIT: now that I think of it, you can leave the other weapons in the shop and buy them in another game, once you finish your first adventure. The game will save unusued nodes and money for subsequent playthroughs (on the same difficulty level), so don't worry too much about that.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I've had this game for a month and a half now... I should probably play it.

Dice said:
So I've had this game for a month and a half now... I should probably play it.

It took a long time before it really "called" me, too. Liked the demo, bought the game, played the first chapter or so, then it sat around for a month. Two weeks later I had the platinum. Fire that bitch up. I recommend headphones, a pitch-black room, and appropriately loud volume levels.

Aumann

Loonz said:
You can buy and upgrade other weapons, just don't shoot them at the enemies. Use only the cutter. It's not that hard anymay, the cutter does a really good work, especially when is conveniently upgraded.

EDIT: now that I think of it, you can leave the other weapons in the shop and buy them in another game, once you finish your first adventure. The game will save unusued nodes and money for subsequent playthroughs (on the same difficulty level), so don't worry too much about that.

so if i beat the game and start on a higher difficulty setting will i lose all my items/money/upgrades?

bunbun777

Aumann said:
so if i beat the game and start on a higher difficulty setting will i lose all my items/money/upgrades?
I have just started this again myself-- you do not get to carry over anything into the unlocked super tuff mode. My first play through is on Hard, you can play that mode again after beating it with all weapons/stuff carried over-- I don't think it would carry over to other levels of difficulty though.

all 3 initial difficulties unlocks the supertuff mode.

SamuraiX-

Could somebody explain this to me? Every time I pick up the controller and try to play this game, I just feel like I'm doing it wrong. This is why I never beat the game and got cut short on like the second or third chapter.

I just started a new game on Hard difficulty after not playing it for about a year. I know, I know, why don't I just switch it to Normal or Easy? But I just feel like I can beat it on Hard. The game doesn't feel that difficult, I just feel like I'm playing it wrong. Should I really have to use 6-8 plasma rounds to take down one standard enemy? My aim is particularly shitty I guess, but when dismembering the creatures, does it really take at least 3 shots with the plasma cutter to shave off a single limb of the first type of creature you encounter in the game on the Hard difficulty level?

Some tips would be most appreciated. I just want to adjust whatever I am doing wrong.

SamuraiX-

God's Beard said:
Stasis is really good.

Yeah, I love it. Problem is it runs out too fast and it sometimes feels like I'm not doing any damage when hitting the limbs. Is it more effective to use the horizontal-fire or the vertical-fire with the plasma cutter on those sickle-like limbs protruding from the backs of the first creatures?

Minamu

SamuraiX- said:
Yeah, I love it. Problem is it runs out too fast and it sometimes feels like I'm not doing any damage when hitting the limbs. Is it more effective to use the horizontal-fire or the vertical-fire with the plasma cutter on those sickle-like limbs protruding from the backs of the first creatures?
Infinite stasis cheat code man! :D I haven't played it on hard but 3 shots per limb sounds about right to me. I don't think you're missing something critical in your playstyle. I suppose you could abuse the force push+exploding barrels combo whenever you find these things.

SamuraiX- said:
I use horizontal on the legs and then when they are crawling I shoot the head. Works for me. Although the game can be hard on high difficulties, I triggered a glitch which give me the best suit at the beginning (not knowing it was a glitch) and it still was difficult on occasions.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also used the cheats to get some money and more points to upgrade.

SamuraiX-

Cheats? :( That's no fun. Well, it is if I'd be playing through again the second time but I want my first run through the game to be clean. :D

So nothing generally wrong with my play-style, just that the game is generally harder on higher difficulties (go figure)... So it's easier to go for the legs than the upper limbs, you would say? If I ever get them on the ground, I start curb-stomping the shit out of them.

Also, I think you acquire the force push move in the 2nd or 3rd chapter because I remember using it but can't use it yet... Still in Chapter 1.

SamuraiX- said:
Cheats? :( That's no fun. Well, it is if I'd be playing through again the second time but I want my first run through the game to be clean. :D

So nothing generally wrong with my play-style, just that the game is generally harder on higher difficulties (go figure)... So it's easier to go for the legs than the upper limbs, you would say? If I ever get them on the ground, I start curb-stomping the shit out of them.

Also, I think you acquire the force push move in the 2nd or 3rd chapter because I remember using it but can't use it yet... Still in Chapter 1.
Oh yeah, curb-stomping, forgot about that. I usually do that yeah to save bullets.

SamuraiX-

God's Beard said:
I dunno, don't get hit? I played my first time on hard and I just took it slow. There's usually enough ammo lying around.

Yeah, good call. :lol

That's my problem too though. When I get to those larger rooms where you get molested by like 10 of those bastards, I feel like there's not enough time to be accurate and get 100% hit accuracy, so I can usually walk in with 40 plasma rounds and then walk out with like 2. -.-

I guess I'll just keep playing, I'm bound to find a play style that works. I actually just thought of a few things that might help conserve life and ammo, so I'll put 'em to the test. Thanks for the tips guys! :D

Minamu

If you're only on Chapter 1, you haven't upgraded your weapons yet so of course they're gonna do less damage :) I usually go for the legs first, yes. It's usually easier to deal with enemies if they're trying to crawl towards you. Certain limbs on certain enemies make them go super-crazy though. Like headshots. Usually a bad idea :)

SamuraiX-

Minamu said:
If you're only on Chapter 1, you haven't upgraded your weapons yet so of course they're gonna do less damage :) I usually go for the legs first, yes. It's usually easier to deal with enemies if they're trying to crawl towards you. Certain limbs on certain enemies make them go super-crazy though. Like headshots. Usually a bad idea :)

Oh, nice. Good tips. Thanks so much! ^.^

dLMN8R

Finally beat this! I started playing Dead Space back in December, but due to a variety of reasons (vacation, etc.) I stopped playing right around chapter 4-5. Finally got back into it last week, finished it, and man I can't wait for Dead Space 2 next year!

Before playing it I really wondered how it could possibly differentiate itself from other survival/horror/etc. games, but the low-grav, 0-oxygen, and other elements kept it quite nicely varied. Especially when you have to plant the beacon on the asteroid, and break the two tethers outside in addition to the two inside - sooooooo intense.

My main gripe though is that the game inherently forces you into use just a single core set of weapons. Power nodes are too sparse and too expensive for it to be worthwhile upgrading more than just a few items, and it's even more unweildy since you have to find a shop to swap out the weapons you're using. I stuck with the Ripper, Contact Bean, Plasma Cutter, and Line Gun. Would any of the others have been better to use? Because there would've been little to no chance to upgrade them if I did sad

I also encountered a few major glitches late in the game, but these only happened after I installed it to the hard drive - maybe that's related?

-Pickups always only pop up for the weapons in your inventory. Yet I occasionally got Pulse ammo, yet no ammo for other weapons. No biggie, but kinda weird

-The game completely froze once when I was doing a 0-gravity jump. The game continued rendering in 3D, sounds still played, but I couldn't do anything else. Had to restart from my last save

-The boss at the end of chapter 11 - the one that regenerates and you need to kill with a shuttle test fire - had really odd circumstances. When you kill that boss, all the other enemies are supposed to flee in fear. Well, one enemy couldn't quite find his exit point - a vent in the ceiling - so he kept running in a circle like mad! I couldn't kill him, he didn't attack me....he just ran and ran and ran. I gave him a little nudge out of the way, and he was finally able to make it up his exit laugh

-The last save point before the final boss is horrible. I saved as I was moving the Marker, but when I left the game and re-loaded, the marker was in the completely wrong spot. The game then actually let me open one of those airlocks before the marker was in it, making it impossible to proceed since I couldn't go back to get the Marker. Then I reloaded my game, actually moved the marker into the airlock, but since it was already glitched, it then wouldn't let me move the marker out of the airlock! Really weird. Had to go back to an early save point 30 minutes previous, really annoying.

Yasae

Banned
dLMN8R said:
-Pickups always only pop up for the weapons in your inventory. Yet I occasionally got Pulse ammo, yet no ammo for other weapons. No biggie, but kinda weird
That's intentional.

dLMN8R

Seems weird though, that I'd only get Pulse ammo (and very very rarely) but never any Flamethrower ammo or anything for the other weapon.

Top Bottom