• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Zeliard said:
I think the line gun is better than the plasma cutter. The only problem is it only holds half the ammo, so you have to be very careful when it comes to reloading and conserving ammo. But its primary fire is superior since it shoots out an actual laser beam as opposed to three disconnected laser shots like the plasma cutter does, so it's easier to carefully aim and cut specific limbs off. The line gun's secondary attack is also very powerful and useful (and incredibly cool-looking) even at the gun's lowest level.
Line gun and plasma cutter are for different situations.

The plasma cutter is for fast surgical strikes at limbs, horizontal mode for legs, vertical for arms. The line gun is slower but packs a stronger punch, great for amputating the legs of multiple enemies running at you from the same direction, or letting a group of them mob you then throwing a stasis freeze so that you can use one mine on all of them.

My weapon usage through the game went like this, 45% Plasma Cutter, 35% Line Gun, 10% Contact Beam (for Boss/miniboss situations), the remaining 10% alternating between the Saw, Rifle and Flame thrower (mostly used for little shits that are a waste of good ammo.)

dreamer3kx said:
if I have the dlc gear should I still upgrade it with nodes or is the suit maxed out?
The suit governs your inventory slots and base armor (+10%, etc.).

The RIG updates are universal and upgrade your health (not armor), and your breathing.

Zeliard

MickeyKnox said:
Line gun and plasma cutter are for different situations.

The plasma cutter is for fast surgical strikes at limbs, horizontal mode for legs, vertical for arms. The line gun is slower but packs a stronger punch, great for amputating the legs of multiple enemies running at you from the same direction, or letting a group of them mob you then throwing a stasis freeze so that you can use one mine on all of them.

My weapon usage through the game went like this, 45% Plasma Cutter, 35% Line Gun, 10% Contact Beam (for Boss/miniboss situations), the remaining 10% alternating between the Saw, Rifle and Flame thrower (mostly used for little shits that are a waste of good ammo.)

I'm still early on (ch. 3), but so far, amputating arms seems kind of useless especially since it's generally tougher to do that than just going for the legs. If you knock one arm off, the enemy will still keep coming after you at fast speeds and still be able to attack, but if you knock one leg off their mobility is greatly reduced and they're easy to shoot dead when on the ground. And as you noted, the line gun is very effective at taking out legs since it launches out a wide horizontal laser.

The plasma cutter is definitely still a strong weapon, and it's certainly my most used one (so far at least), but the line gun does seem like the better bet in most situations. I'm always running out of line gun ammo, though, while I always have tons of plasma rounds to spare. So that helps to balance it out for me.

Drek

garath said:
Yes and no. Yes, 10 hours of awesome beats 100 hours of dull and drab. But no, 10 hours of awesome with 6 other AAA games in the next 3 weeks does not equal a no brainer for $60.

The math is tough to swallow. $60 for 10 hours with no replay value doesn't equate no matter how great those 10 hours are. Not when so many other games are deserving of the money. I'd say 90% of the time a 10 hour game goes in the rental/bargain hunter bin. 10 hours is just to short for $60.

Luckily dead space does offer some replay value and I am willing to throw the money at it regardless, but don't belittle people's concern about length.
I guess its all about what you have more of, money or time.

My girl and I make good money, but we both also work a ton. We can't get wrapped up in 60 hour epics very often.

As a result I'm probably passing on a lot of good games this winter just because I want to play Fable II and it will take up the majority of my free time.

A great 10 hours of gaming though will fit in perfectly this Sunday.

So to me $60 for 10 great hours of gaming is better than $60 for 100 hours of even solid but unspectacular.

I actually just picked this up in the TRU sale. Was thinking about using it as a return but upon further consideration I'm going to keep it. Sounds like it'll pair very well with Fable II and Far Cry 2 for the next several months.

Zeliard said:
I'm still early on (ch. 3), but so far, amputating arms seems kind of useless especially since it's generally tougher to do that than just going for the legs. If you knock one arm off, the enemy will still keep coming after you at fast speeds and still be able to attack, but if you knock one leg off their mobility is greatly reduced and they're easy to shoot dead when on the ground. And as you noted, the line gun is very effective at taking out legs since it launches out a wide horizontal laser.

The plasma cutter is definitely still a strong weapon, and it's certainly my most used one (so far at least), but the line gun does seem like the better bet in most situations. I'm always running out of line gun ammo, though, while I always have tons of plasma rounds to spare. So that helps to balance it out for me.
I shoot one leg off then as soon as they hit the gorund I switch to vertical and shoot the nearest arm off a little past the shoulder, 2 shots one kill.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That's it, I can't handle it anymore. Thanks GAF.

VIDEOGAMESPLUS.CA
------------------------------------------------------
Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Shipped

This better not turn out to be a Condemned 2 :(

Jon

Alright GAF, I have a question. I failed to pick up the flame gas schematic in Chapter 3, and have since moved on to Chapter 4. It will not let me go back to Chapter 3 via the tram, so does this mean I have missed out for the rest of the game? I will never be able to purchase flamethrower ammo from stores?

I really hope this isn't the case.

Decado

The hell. Where the hell do you get ammo in this game? I'm always out of ammo or almost out of ammo and I've yet to see one of the weapon shops.

I'm scraping by every encounters...which was actually kind of cool, but now I'm at the part
where you go back to your ship and it blows up in Chapter 1, and you encounter 4 or 5 enemies at once.
WTF? I have barely enough ammo to kill one or two. :(

Zeliard

Decado said:
The hell. Where the hell do you get ammo in this game? I'm always out of ammo or almost out of ammo and I've yet to see one of the weapon shops.

I'm scraping by every encounters...which was actually kind of cool, but now I'm at the part
where you go back to your ship and it blows up in Chapter 1, and you encounter 4 or 5 enemies at once.
WTF? I have barely enough ammo to kill one or two. :(

You should be finding some just lying around, in lockers, or in those boxes with the green light. If you stomp them they break open with an item inside, usually ammo. I also don't think you get to your first store until Chapter 2, but you can't miss it when you get there (I think a message pops up explaining the store to you).

But yeah, as a general rule, you want to conserve ammo in this game. Money isn't all that easy to come by, and for a lot of the ammo (all of it except for plasma rounds, actually, I believe) you have to find the schematic first before you can even buy any from the store.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
in chapter 4,
fighting the brute was AWESOME. i have my plasma cutter with about 3 damage upgrades and super fast reloading and firing, so i'd just spray bullets with the rifle until the joker hunkered down, then unload with my cutter on his back.

VERY fun.

BeeDog

beelzebozo said:
in chapter 4,
fighting the brute was AWESOME. i have my plasma cutter with about 3 damage upgrades and super fast reloading and firing, so i'd just spray bullets with the rifle until the joker hunkered down, then unload with my cutter on his back.

VERY fun.

Biography:
i don't believe in capital letters

Liar!

J/k, glad to hear this game's amazing. With the delay of LBP, this is a 100% sure purchase now.

Downhome

What are the main differences between the 360 and PS3 versions? I'm sure it's in this thread, but it's huge by this point and none of my searches are bringing anything up. Thanks guys.

Momar

aka Ryder
Downhome said:
What are the main differences between the 360 and PS3 versions? I'm sure it's in this thread, but it's huge by this point and none of my searches are bringing anything up. Thanks guys.

I'm in the same boat. From what I understand, visually they're the same, PS3 version has slightly (?) faster load times. Any word on the sound quality?

Choke on the Magic said:
Ok I give up. How do I
not get bombarded by asteroids in chapter 4?
Just
stay in front of those big rectangular things sticking out of the ground, go to the one directly to your right with the O2 refill station and wait out the first wave, then just leap frog between bombardments.

Zeliard

Downhome said:

This was a concern of mine before purchase, and I was strongly leaning towards towards the 360 version because of the superior controller and its history of superior multiplats. Actually, I was leaning towards the PC version, but I just didn't want to wait. At all.

I bought the PS3 version, ultimately, mainly because I need more games for it. And not to start up any shit, but I also saw a comparison vid on the net where the PS3 version seemed to have a small but noticeable edge in contrast sharpness. I would guess that the PS3 version's sound is better, too. I only have that version, so I can't compare, but the sound design is very impressive in its high quality (though it has small issues when it comes to the timing and composition, IMO and as dark discussed earlier, but that has nothing to do with the technical part).

I have no idea how legit that comparison vid was, but it doesn't matter either way. With either version, and yes that includes the PS3, you'll end up with a visually/aurally stunning game with very strong gameplay.

Kadey said:
Guys, what's better. Scorpion or Elite suit?

I think they're the same Level 5 suit, but just different paint jobs.

That way you won't get a gameplay advantage of one over the other.

Personally, I have the Elite suit on the 360, and I love it. First off, all inventory slots ftw! Second, I enjoy having that brighter suit so it helps contrast my character against the dark background.

It's all about what you think looks cooler though I guess for what's 'better'.

Eltacoman said:
Does anyone have the force gun? I wanna know if I should buy it and if its better than the pulse rifle.

I have the force gun and its pretty damn good. Normal firing is close range force blast that can push enemies back. Secondary is where its at... long range projectile that has a good explosion ratio. I love it.

Also who else loves the fact that when you fire that or the line gun up close with the secondary fire that you go flying back from the force???... LOVE THAT!

Arcipello

Hey everyone, im really looking forward to playing this game but at the same time im avoiding reviews and spoilers like crazy. ive not gone through this entire thread in fear of spoiling stuff but i would just like to hear some general opinions from the GAF crew, is this a good game or is it merely eye candy and scary sounds????

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Also who else loves the fact that when you fire that or the line gun up close with the secondary fire that you go flying back from the force???... LOVE THAT!

Yeah...it's not the "force" of the guns. You're getting caught in the blast and taking damage.

The line gun shoots a mine as secondary that blows up.

The force gun shoots a longer range "ball" of sorts with a large burst radius.

Up close with the secondary fire for those weapons isn't a good thing. The secondary fire on the "contact laser" or whatever it's called is wicked though. Kindof a point defense system that sends the mobs up close and surrounding you scattering.

t0va

Arcipello said:
Hey everyone, im really looking forward to playing this game but at the same time im avoiding reviews and spoilers like crazy. ive not gone through this entire thread in fear of spoiling stuff but i would just like to hear some general opinions from the GAF crew, is this a good game or is it merely eye candy and scary sounds????

we all love it. go buy it.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Yeah...it's not the "force" of the guns. You're getting caught in the blast and taking damage.

The line gun shoots a mine as secondary that blows up.

The force gun shoots a longer range "ball" of sorts with a large burst radius.

Up close with the secondary fire for those weapons isn't a good thing. The secondary fire on the "contact laser" or whatever it's called is wicked though. Kindof a point defense system that sends the mobs up close and surrounding you scattering.

Ah thanks for pointing that out... didn't know that you took damage. I was too involved with how bad ass it looks when you fly back.

Arcipello said:

If you need more than 35 pages of

"Holy FUCK"

"ZOMGWTFBBQ!"

"Really lovin' this game."

Dude...what ARE you looking for? I'd say if you HAVE read the thread and still think it's potentially "eye candy" and "scary sounds" and nothing else. Don't buy it.

If you're expecting a hand job, try gamefaqs.com.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ah thanks for pointing that out... didn't know that you took damage. I was too involved with how bad ass it looks when you fly back.

No problemo. It's easy to get sucked into the combat.

Some advice. Conserve your ammo. I'm on medium and pretty far into the game. (A little over half)

I have been somewhere between "moderate to who gives a fuck" with ammo conservation. I'm a sad fella now.

There are fights I come across that all I use now is telekinesis and the "launch" attack.

Movement

Geez the best part of this game so far is when you're in a vacuum and you're looking in space and all you hear is Isaac's heart beating.
It's so intense the game's worth it just for that.

bigdaddygamebot said:
No problemo. It's easy to get sucked into the combat.

Some advice. Conserve your ammo. I'm on medium and pretty far into the game. (A little over half)

I have been somewhere between "moderate to who gives a fuck" with ammo conservation. I'm a sad fella now.

There are fights I come across that all I use now is telekinesis and the "launch" attack.

Oh trust me I know. I am on hard and just got to chapter 8. There has been areas where I died continously and had to rethink my strategy over and over again.

Good times. :D

Eltacoman said:
Geez the best part of this game so far is when you're in a vacuum and you're looking in space and all you hear is Isaac's heart beating.
It's so intense the game's worth it just for that.

You're confusing it with (chapter sixish, sevenish spoiler)
the part where you're racing along the perimeter of an asteroid to get to a safe spot so that you're not clipped by these massive rotating arms that insta-gib you. When all of a sudden you see the planet that the Ishimura is orbiting around and you get to see the MASSIVE crater that the Ishimura caused during the planet-cracking. And then you say "whoah" and you forget all about the fact that you're in a vaccuum and then tri-tentacled fetuses attack you and you're fighting for your life...and you've forgotten you're in a vaccum and oxygen is depleting....and then you kill the tri-tentacled fetuses and remember that you need to shoot the generators for the exterior gravity tethers and you've forgotten you're in a vaccum and oxygen is depleting more.

And then you hear the heavy death rattle of Isaac as he struggles for breath and you're racing through your inventory to find a bottle of O2...good times.

bigdaddygamebot said:
You're confusing it with (chapter sixish, sevenish spoiler)
the part where you're racing along the perimeter of an asteroid to get to a safe spot so that you're not clipped by these massive rotating arms that insta-gib you. When all of a sudden you see the planet that the Ishimura is orbiting around and you get to see the MASSIVE crater that the Ishimura caused during the planet-cracking. And then you say "whoah" and you forget all about the fact that you're in a vaccuum and then tri-tentacled fetuses attack you and you're fighting for your life...and you've forgotten you're in a vaccum and oxygen is depleting....and then you kill the tri-tentacled fetuses and remember that you need to shoot the generators for the exterior gravity tethers and you've forgotten you're in a vaccum and oxygen is depleting more.

And then you hear the heavy death rattle of Isaac as he struggles for breath and you're racing through your inventory to find a bottle of O2...good times.

LOL I did that last night and yeah... what a rush. Damn that instant gib-a-nator!

jaaz

Still in Chapter 2. EASILY a GOTY contender.

I love it when in Chapter 1,
when you're in this hallway right in front of the bathrooms, the lights go completely dark and you hear that tell-tale scratching sound of the necromorphs. Scared the crap out of me, as I tried to see them in the dark using the crappy flashlight on the plasma cutter. Ended up running into the bathroom like a little girl. Of course, no creature ever showed up, but the THOUGHT that a creature could suddenly appear out of the dark in front of you was enough to scare the crap out of me.

It's not always what you see that scares you, but what you don't see...

Zeliard

jaaz said:
It's not always what you see that scares you, but what you don't see...

That's why some of us think the game might actually play better, in terms of tension and atmosphere, by turning off the music mostly because it is often a cue for the player that enemies are appearing. I wanna do that, but not until after I beat the game once. I'm gonna be replaying it on Hard when I finish it, so that + no music and just the ambient and enemy sounds should be a deliciously creepy experience. ;)

Arcipello

bigdaddygamebot said:
If you need more than 35 pages of

"Holy FUCK"

"ZOMGWTFBBQ!"

"Really lovin' this game."

Dude...what ARE you looking for? I'd say if you HAVE read the thread and still think it's potentially "eye candy" and "scary sounds" and nothing else. Don't buy it.

If you're expecting a hand job, try gamefaqs.com.

Well like i said i have NOT read the thread for fear of spoilers (ive done it before with games) so its nice to get a summary of overall impressions rather than reading all about actual gameplay moments, enemies, cool weapons etc etc... i would rather experience all that myself.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Arcipello said:
Well like i said i have NOT read the thread for fear of spoilers (ive done it before with games) so its nice to get a summary of overall impressions rather than reading all about actual gameplay moments, enemies, cool weapons etc etc... i would rather experience all that myself.
GAF loves it.

Zeliard

Arcipello said:

Well, what more do you want people to say? Everyone's been saying it's awesome, and it holds something like a 90 on Metacritic. If the genre and style of gameplay appeal to you even remotely, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It's Resident Evil 5 on crack, and in space.

Movement

Zeliard said:
Well, what more do you want people to say? Everyone's been saying it's awesome, and it holds something like a 90 on Metacritic. If the genre and style of gameplay appeal to you even remotely, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It's Resident Evil 5 on crack, and in space.

Ya that pretty much sums it up. Maybe acid though.

Zeliard

Eltacoman said:
Ya that pretty much sums it up. Maybe acid though.

Maybe a lot of things. The game's insane. But it's a controlled kind of insane. Very tight and polished.

Eltacoman said:
Howcome when I try to buy the level 2 or 3 suit it says its already in my inventory?
I only have the obsidian suit. Help?

Is the obsidian suit the DLC suit or the default one?

RavenFox

Banned
Seiken said:
That's it, I can't handle it anymore. Thanks GAF.

VIDEOGAMESPLUS.CA
------------------------------------------------------
Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Shipped

This better not turn out to be a Condemned 2 :(
After all the praises in this thread you think this?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Zeliard said:
To be fair sir, we dont know how coked out RE 5 is gonna be, that girl could be ready to explode.

Top Bottom