• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Draft

plagiarize said:
i'm amazed to see any Dead Space fans trashing Sunshine.

the developers screened it for us when i visited the studio to play the game. something tells me they're big fans.
Sunshine is a piece of shit after the halfway point. Fucking space zombie with his super strength and vibrating scalpels.

Zzoram

So apparently stomping on boxes with a green light yields credits or plasma ammo, and pressing A on unmarked white lights tends to open up shelves yielding medkits or credits.

Zzoram

Onix said:
so ... is the consensus to start on hard?

If you want it to be hard, yes. Normal is fine for a casual pass through, especially if you want to do a New Game+ on Hard when you're upgraded.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
So apparently stomping on boxes with a green light yields credits or plasma ammo, and pressing A on unmarked white lights tends to open up shelves yielding medkits or credits.

Yep. You can also open up those boxes with the green lights by aiming down at them and pressing X (or A on the 360, I think), in case you can't reach them with your foot. You can also use kinesis when you get it to bring some of those boxes closer to you if you have to. I like using kinesis to move explosives around and bring them closer to enemies, or to bunch them up. One time I put a couple of them together as a stopgap at a door entrance and blocked them from entering a room I was in, before exploding them all. You can do some interesting things with the environment.

Geoff9920

Zzoram said:
If you want it to be hard, yes. Normal is fine for a casual pass through, especially if you want to do a New Game+ on Hard when you're upgraded.
Wait, I thought you couldn't change the difficulty for the New Game+?

Zeliard

Geoff9920 said:
Wait, I thought you couldn't change the difficulty for the New Game+?

Oh yeah, that's right. It locks it on the difficulty you beat it at. Still, one thing you could do when re-starting on Hard (if you find it too hard) is to use the free DLC suit, which is upgraded quite a bit over the suit you normally start with, or so I've heard.

Das-J

Law of the West
I am absolutely loving this game! After turning off the lights and cranking the sound it took all my strength not to piss myself every few minutes. :lol

A lot of love went into this title and it shows in the gameplay. My only complaint is that the dialogue is somewhat lackluster, but the experience as a whole is fantastic!

Jirotrom

Zeliard said:
Oh yeah, that's right. It locks it on the difficulty you beat it at. Still, one thing you could do when re-starting on Hard (if you find it too hard) is to use the free DLC suit, which is upgraded quite a bit over the suit you normally start with, or so I've heard.
I use that suit to begin with... I hate horror games, as I get really tense so I like to make them as easy as possible.

Zeliard said:
For achievement point hounds, best bet is to play on Hard once, replay Hard with all available perks to max out weapon skills and then a 3rd playthrough on Impossible.

garath

stuminus3 said:
Man, you guys with your "how long is the game" and "does it have any replay value", screw you guys. 10 hours of this much awesome beats 100 hours of complete fucking boredom any day of the week.

Yes and no. Yes, 10 hours of awesome beats 100 hours of dull and drab. But no, 10 hours of awesome with 6 other AAA games in the next 3 weeks does not equal a no brainer for $60.

The math is tough to swallow. $60 for 10 hours with no replay value doesn't equate no matter how great those 10 hours are. Not when so many other games are deserving of the money. I'd say 90% of the time a 10 hour game goes in the rental/bargain hunter bin. 10 hours is just to short for $60.

Luckily dead space does offer some replay value and I am willing to throw the money at it regardless, but don't belittle people's concern about length.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
How does the line gun work? Is it really worth buying?

The primary fire shoots out an horizontal laser beam. I'm sure you can guess how that can come in handy. And the secondary fire shoots out this ball of light that explodes after a few seconds into cross-cutting lasers that slice apart whatever is in the vicinity. It's visually stunning. And yes, it's very much worth buying. I'm still early, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the line gun turns out to be the best weapon in the game.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
The primary fire shoots out an horizontal laser beam. I'm sure you can guess how that can come in handy. And the secondary fire shoots out this ball of light that explodes after a few seconds into cross-cutting lasers that slice apart whatever is in the vicinity. It's visually stunning. And yes, it's very much worth buying. I'm still early, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the line gun turns out to be the best weapon in the game.

How do you use alt-fire? Where do I get ammo for that gun? I bought it but it has 0 ammo.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
How do you use alt-fire? Where do I get ammo for that gun? I bought it but it has 0 ammo.

On PS3, alt-fire is R2 while you're aiming. Not sure what it is on 360, probably the right bumper. As far as line gun ammo, you can find some laying around, though it's not nearly as common as plasma cutter ammo (at least in my experience). You can also buy ammo for it, though I think you may have to find the schematic for that first. You'll likely stumble upon some while going through the game, though, but make sure you conserve ammo for that gun since you don't get all that much.

stuminus3

garath said:
The math is tough to swallow.
Why the heck are you talking about math?

Fun drained right out of video gaming as a hobby, right there.

As far as I know, no other AAA game coming out in the next week is of the '3rd person survival horror in space' variety. Calculations be damned.

Jirotrom

garath said:
Yes and no. Yes, 10 hours of awesome beats 100 hours of dull and drab. But no, 10 hours of awesome with 6 other AAA games in the next 3 weeks does not equal a no brainer for $60.

The math is tough to swallow. $60 for 10 hours with no replay value doesn't equate no matter how great those 10 hours are. Not when so many other games are deserving of the money. I'd say 90% of the time a 10 hour game goes in the rental/bargain hunter bin. 10 hours is just to short for $60.

Luckily dead space does offer some replay value and I am willing to throw the money at it regardless, but don't belittle people's concern about length.
i bet you are one of those who pays 8 bucks on their movie ticket, for a 2 hour movie, then goes on to buy popcorn hot dog and drink:D I know where you're coming from though.

Zeliard said:
On PS3, alt-fire is R2 while you're aiming. Not sure what it is on 360, probably the right bumper. As far as line gun ammo, you can find some laying around, though it's not nearly as common as plasma cutter ammo (at least in my experience). You can also buy ammo for it, though I think you may have to find the schematic for that first. You'll likely stumble upon some while going through the game, though, but make sure you conserve ammo for that gun since you don't get all that much.

This is true to a certain extent. I think the ammo drops change depending on what weapon you use. In the beginning, Plasma Rounds were a dime-a-dozen, but when I started using the Line Gun I started finding ammo for it everywhere.

Also, I encountered my first bug last night. Chapter 5 spoiler:
When I was moving towards the crazy doctor's office to synthesize the poison that would counteract the poison being pumped through the ship, I fell through the map as I entered the actual doctor's room. Luckily there is a save point right accross the hallway and I respawned in the guys office anyway.
However, due to this happening, I discovered that the items in the glowing crates and even the items on the floors are semi-random and something different is there each time you respawn after dieing which is nice.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
is anyone else finding that the blade weapon was a huge waste of credits?

after running around with it for 10min it was much more of a burden and got me killed more than helping. I'm strictly sticking with my cutter, rifle and flame thrower now.

Zeliard

Gorechylde said:
This is true to a certain extent. I think the ammo drops change depending on what weapon you use. In the beginning, Plasma Rounds were a dime-a-dozen, but when I started using the Line Gun I started finding ammo for it everywhere.

I think that's probably very true, actually. It would certainly make the ammo drops I've been getting more sensical.

wenis said:
is anyone else finding that the blade weapon was a huge waste of credits?

after running around with it for 10min it was much more of a burden and got me killed more than helping. I'm strictly sticking with my cutter, rifle and flame thrower now.

Disappointing to hear about that chainsaw weapon. Does it really suck? I was looking forward to it. What seems to me like a waste of credits is the flamethrower. Doesn't even seem to be worth upgrading, and I'm considering selling it off even though it's fun to use. Just doesn't seem nearly as effective as other weapons, though. It has no real stopping power and the damage is weak, so it's not great at keeping the enemies away from you, which is the #1 priority in Dead Space.

wenis

yeah the chainsaw/spinning blade thing shoots out 2 ft in front of you, but its really hard to judge where its at so either you don't get anywhere near the creature with the blade or you swing it and the creature lands in between the you and the blade with the blade on the other side of the creature not even touching it.

I actually really like the flamethrower. it's a good cleanup weapon for crawling creatures and those little bugger things that are a waste of ammo to shoot at and kind of hard to stomp on more than one at a time are easily defeated with the thrower. plus there is something that is quite vulnerable to it by the 3rd chapter.

t0va

Zeliard said:
I think that's probably very true, actually. It would certainly make the ammo drops I've been getting more sensical.

Disappointing to hear about that chainsaw weapon. Does it really suck? I was looking forward to it. What seems to me like a waste of credits is the flamethrower. Doesn't even seem to be worth upgrading, and I'm considering selling it off even though it's fun to use. Just doesn't seem nearly as effective as other weapons, though. It has no real stopping power and the damage is weak, so it's not great at keeping the enemies away from you, which is the #1 priority in Dead Space.

the chainsaw is indeed trash. the flamethrower comes in handy when you're being swarmed by those little bug things. those things fuck you up.

Zeliard

wenis said:
yeah the chainsaw/spinning blade thing shoots out 2 ft in front of you, but its really hard to judge where its at so either you don't get anywhere near the creature with the blade or you swing it and the creature lands in between the you and the blade with the blade on the other side of the creature not even touching it.

That sucks. Seems like an easy way they could've fixed that would be to let the reticule tell you if your weapon is in range of the creature or not, sort of like how it does when you're jumping in zero-g.

As far as the flamethrower, what happens when you get more than four weapons, though? You only have four weapon slots, so do you have to keep the rest that you aren't using in a safe at the store? That would mean you're lugging the flamethrower around just for those little shits (who I agree are annoying, though I've only come across them once so far) and using up a valuable weapon spot.

wenis

honestly those 3 are the only ones I've been using and I'm on chapter 4 now. I kinda want to buy the contact beam, but I may just wait until I'm chapter 5 for that. I'm having a real good time hunting down extra nodes and upgrading my suits abilities.

I think though by the time you start really collecting the weapons you'll have a good idea on what works on what and it's not like it's critical that you have certain weapons around for certain creatures. as long as you continually keep things upgraded things should be fine. I'm only suggesting keeping the flame thrower around because it does help you conserve ammo for the other weapons a lot and is a good cleanup weapon especially for the creatures that are only playing dead.

wenis said:
I actually really like the flamethrower. it's a good cleanup weapon for crawling creatures and those little bugger things that are a waste of ammo to shoot at and kind of hard to stomp on more than one at a time are easily defeated with the thrower.
yeah I use it the same way .

garath

stuminus3 said:
Why the heck are you talking about math?

Fun drained right out of video gaming as a hobby, right there.

As far as I know, no other AAA game coming out in the next week is of the '3rd person survival horror in space' variety. Calculations be damned.

Math meaning:

Since I live in the real world (with a declining economy) and things cost money, my gaming budget is $X per month/quarter/year/whatever. When it comes right down to it, a hobby is no longer fun if it is fiscally draining to the point where you have to sacrifice things for a couple days of enjoyment. If you have the disposable income then by all means, spend away, buy every 10 hour game that piques your interest. But if you are a person with a budget, I'm sorry, length and replay absolutely matter. If every game that came out was of the 10 hour, one time use variety then we would ALL be poor trying to keep ourselves entertained with this "hobby".

If you can finish it in one or two sittings, it's better as a rental or a bargain buy. That's the math I'm talking about.

Derailment aside, Dead Space is a great buy. It DOES offer replay and the 10 hours of gameplay is top notch. However, if you can only buy a couple games this season I'd lean more toward something longer or with multiplayer.

Tendo

What is a safer bet to spend my first upgrade nodes on, my DLC suit for health, stasis module for more energy, or the plasma cutter? I'm only on chapter 3 btw.

To those comments on the music.

Heres my view on it. To me... Dead Space is scary... but not in the Silent Hill/psychological scary. Dead Space is that "Holy fuck its coming right at me!" scary. So to me the music adds so much to this tension/pace of the game. Its not scary persay but its just so freaking nerve wracking and intense...

Like for example (chapter 1 spoilers)
The part where your told to get the FUCK out of the room when the quarantine happens... HOLY SHIT. The chase that occured and the music that played, I swear I felt like I was living a total "Alien" movie moment. My adrenaline shot up instantly and I literally felt like I was running for my life.

This is why I personally love the music. It might happen alot and they might have even overused it at times but I love it all the same.

Also just got to chapter 8. Can anyone tell me if the game just keeps getting better and better like it has been?

Zeliard

Tendo said:
What is a safer bet to spend my first upgrade nodes on, my DLC suit for health, stasis module for more energy, or the plasma cutter? I'm only on chapter 3 btw.

I'm only on chapter 3 as well, but I think the best idea for your first upgrade is to your plasma cutter, probably to its damage level first. You'll likely end up using that weapon a lot throughout the game, since it's your default one and your fallback weapon, so it's a good idea to get it upgraded early on.

Philthy said:
I JUST finished chapter 2 and I'm close to four hours now.

Edit: I don't use the right stick to show where I'm supposed to go. So I end up puttering around exploring multiple areas over again and such. The first white med lab(?) room that looked down onto another level with three more rooms below it I must have spent nearly an hour in alone. I explored everything in there, never found out how to get behind the book case, but I have an idea now.

Normal mode for me.

How do you think you get behind the book case?

garath

Zeliard said:
I'm only on chapter 3 as well, but I think the best idea for your first upgrade is to your plasma cutter, probably to its damage level first. You'll likely end up using that weapon a lot throughout the game, since it's your default one and your fallback weapon, so it's a good idea to get it upgraded early on.

That's the direction I've been going. Pump up the plasma cutter a bit initially to get some extra bang behind it. On hard the enemies take anywhere from 6 to 10 shots each to take down at base level.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Like for example (chapter 1 spoilers)
The part where your told to get the FUCK out of the room when the quiratine happens... HOLY SHIT. The chase that occured and the music that played, I swear I felt like I was living a total "Alien" movie moment. My adrenaline shot up instantly and I literally felt like I was running for my life.
Haha, yes.
When you get on the elevator right after that and you think you're safe, and the dude pries the elevator doors open was a great moment. It definitely got a few swear words out of me
:lol

RavenFox

Banned
DOES ANYONE READ THE INSTRUCTIONAL MANUAL? OR THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT POP UP IN THE GAME? I mean seriously some of the questions in here are sad. Why does someone have to hold your hand on the forum when its right there in your manual?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the plasma cutter is the best weapon i've used thus far. it's really satisfying to fire, and is much better than the plasma rifle at dismembering.

RavenFox said:
DOES ANYONE READ THE INSTRUCTIONAL MANUAL? OR THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT POP UP IN THE GAME? I mean seriously some of the questions in here are sad. Why does someone have to hold your hand on the forum when its right there in your manual?

the instruction manual is shit. look at it. it's clear e.a. knew no one would care to look at it. the instructions in the game are fine, though.

f@luS

More than a member.
dark10x said:
It's still very much worth playing, however. The actual GAMEPLAY is really solid.

It feels like a mix of Resident Evil 4 and Doom 3 with its own unique spin on certain things. The environments are more varied and interesting than Doom 3, I should note, and the gunplay is satisfying in an RE4-like manner (though the controls are superior in Dead Space).

I suppose, aside from the lack of horror, the sound is the other letdown for me. As noted above, I believe it is technically well done, but it lacks a unique personality. That's not to say games like RE4 or Doom 3 did it any better, though (Dead Space sounds better than either of them). It's just that, a unique sound design can really create a special atmosphere. For instance, the film "Sunshine" was given such a unique flavor by its audio design. It presented a similar type of environment, but it felt original as a result of the audio. Same deal with many of the other horror games I mentioned above.
im surprised u didnt wait for the PC version. Thats what im doing.

Zeliard said:

I just started 6, and with the abundance of ammo you find for it, i suggest doing at least some upgrading on the cutter. I ended up using it alot as a fall weapon when my others had no ammo, or I was saving them for multiple monsters.

Zeliard

beelzebozo said:
the plasma cutter is the best weapon i've used thus far. it's really satisfying to fire, and is much better than the plasma rifle at dismembering.

I think the line gun is better than the plasma cutter. The only problem is it only holds half the ammo, so you have to be very careful when it comes to reloading and conserving ammo. But its primary fire is superior since it shoots out an actual laser beam as opposed to three disconnected laser shots like the plasma cutter does, so it's easier to carefully aim and cut specific limbs off. The line gun's secondary attack is also very powerful and useful (and incredibly cool-looking) even at the gun's lowest level.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Zeliard said:
I think the line gun is better than the plasma cutter. The only problem is it only holds half the ammo, so you have to be very careful when it comes to reloading and conserving ammo. But its primary fire is superior since it shoots out an actual laser beam as opposed to three disconnected laser shots like the plasma cutter does, so it's easier to carefully aim and cut specific limbs off. The line gun's secondary attack is also very powerful and useful (and incredibly cool-looking) even at the gun's lowest level.

my 2nd time through i'm going for that line gun. but this time, sadly, the elderly knight indicates that i chose poorly

codecow

If you're having trouble with the
asteroid sections
then read below:

The left trigger also shoots. It fires from the left barrel. You can fire both at the same time. If you hold down the trigger(s) you will get autofire. The autofire eventually causes the barrels to overheat. The best way to use the gun is in bursts.

gamerecks said:
Does the Force Gun actually do any damage?

Oh hell yeah it does.

AWESOME Damage. The main fire trigger is like a shockwave that knocks them back but you have to be up close. Its the secondary fire that's the winner. It shoots a projectile that mass explodes on impact. I have done some major damage with this bad boy.

t0va

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Oh hell yeah it does.

AWESOME Damage. The main fire trigger is like a shockwave that knocks them back but you have to be up close. Its the secondary fire that's the winner. It shoots a projectile that mass explodes on impact. I have done some major damage with this bad boy.

damnit! I bought the contact beam instead. I knew I made a bad choice :(

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Oh hell yeah it does.

Ok, I think the problem was I was using on those dog things. The secondary I didnt use much. Ill keep it for the the tough stuff.

Top Bottom