• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Arcipello

Zeliard said:
Well, what more do you want people to say? Everyone's been saying it's awesome, and it holds something like a 90 on Metacritic. If the genre and style of gameplay appeal to you even remotely, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It's Resident Evil 5 on crack, and in space.

its all i needed to know.... looking at review scores is one thing, listening to the impressions of real gamers is another... day one purchase for me (european)

anyway, tack sa micket

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
RavenFox said:
After all the praises in this thread you think this?
GAF praised Condemned 2 too, I fell for the hype and bought it. It's disgustingly bad.

GAF praised Assassins Creed, I fell for the hype. It's disgustingly bad.

Should I continue?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Seiken said:
GAF praised Condemned 2 too, I fell for the hype and bought it. It's disgustingly bad.

Should I continue?
Condemned 2 was fantastic. I think you need to play an actual 'disgustingly bad' game to fix your perspective.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Seiken said:

Should I continue?
If you don't like this game, you're probably a pool of diarrhea.

dexterslu

Seiken said:
Should I continue?

It is, so bad.

I'm getting Dead Space from gamefly, shipped today! Can't freaking wait to play it after the hype. the true story about single player games is that they drop dramatically in price after about 9 months, especially games that sell well. So if you don't end up picking it up, fret not you'll be getting it on the cheap when you DO decide to play it.

Case and point: Ass Creed shipped November at 60 bucks

This Nov you can find it for 17.99 used..

Seiken said:

Should I continue?

When did Gaf praised AC?

And you have bad taste.

Zeliard

~Kinggi~ said:
To be fair sir, we dont know how coked out RE 5 is gonna be, that girl could be ready to explode.

I dunno. RE5 sadly seems to be playing it safe. I mean, I have no idea how RE5's gunplay is going to hope to match up with Dead Space's. Seriously. Even with RE5's new "shooter" controls, you still can't move while shooting, so movement is still pretty tank-like. The enemy animations in general, and their canned death animations, also seem to be identical to RE4's. Compare that to what happens when you shoot something in Dead Space. RE5's gameplay, from what we know so far, seems pretty archaic and last-gen (especially the gunplay). Meanwhile, Dead Space's gunplay is probably even better than Gears'.

Seiken said:

Should I continue?

Again but with more hyperbole!

Seriously...you don't need to play Dead Space. It's not worth getting. Save your money for something that isn't disgustingly bad...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
~Kinggi~ said:
Condemned 2 was fantastic. I think you need to play an actual 'disgustingly bad' game to fix your perspective.
I bet you played the 360 version because you don't know what you're talking about.
Littleberu said:
And you have bad taste.
I have bad taste, gotcha. Wow.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So, how does the ammo distribution work? It seems to only give it out to weapons you have in your inventory at the moment, right? When I had 4, it basically turned into getting a bunch of Plasma Cutter ammo and barely any for the rest. Now I only have 3, but stuff like Line Cutter ammo is pretty rare(though I can understand this, since the gun is super powerful). Is it best to stick to 2 weapons if I'm guessing right about the ammo?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Zeliard said:
I dunno. RE5 sadly seems to be playing it safe. I mean, I have no idea how RE5's gunplay is going to hope to match up with Dead Space's. Seriously. Even with RE5's new "shooter" controls, you still can't move while shooting, so movement is still pretty tank-like. The enemy animations in general, and their canned death animations, also seem to be identical to RE4's. Compare that to what happens when you shoot something in Dead Space. RE5's gameplay, from what we know so far, seems pretty archaic and last-gen (especially the gunplay). Meanwhile, Dead Space's gunplay is probably even better than Gears'.
Id be willing to bet good money RE 5 comes out far and away on top above Dead Space, despite how good it is. RE 4 people werent initially expecting greatness either. They thought it looked great and was shaking things up, but it was when people actually got to play the scenarios and against the bosses that everyone started to love it. All RE 5 needs is some more solid bosses and scenarios, which from the newer trailer it looks like it goes way beyond the whole desert village.

Im excited for both games though.

Papercuts said:
Is it best to stick to 2 weapons if I'm guessing right about the ammo?

I've had a similar experience with the ammo drops as well. Please note that I'm talking about the DROPS and NOT the stuff you find in chests/cabinets etc.

I like that. It's smart, although somehow I ended up with a tonne of Ripper ammo.

McLovin

If I remember correctly most of Gaf hated AC and Condemned 2 :/ Anyway Dead Space is really good.. and Gaf isn't the only one that thinks so.

Yoshichan

~Kinggi~ said:
I don't even know what that means. Stop posting already.
The version I played (PS3) was the worst experience ever.

Never reached 30 fps or above.
Controls were more clunky than the original game (and I liked that game a lot).
It was just too fucking dark (again, the darkness of the original was perfect)

But those complains are NOTHING compared to the real problem of Condemned 2; that oh-god-I-want-to-rip-my-hair-off-sound bug in the game. It ruined everything and I can't see anyone liking it.

Anyway, thanks for getting me off topic.

Zeliard

~Kinggi~ said:
Id be willing to bet good money RE 5 comes out far and away on top above Dead Space, despite how good it is. RE 4 people werent initially expecting greatness either. They thought it looked great and was shaking things up, but it was when people actually got to play the scenarios and against the bosses that everyone started to love it. All RE 5 needs is some more solid bosses and scenarios, which from the newer trailer it looks like it goes way beyond the whole desert village.

Im excited for both games though.

RE5 could definitely end up a better game than Dead Space, but "far and away"? I don't see how. Dead Space does very little wrong and it's already evident it's doing some things better than RE5, such as the gunplay and presentation values. Remains to be seen how strong RE5's environments/set pieces, storyline and bosses are, since those are really the only things that could put it over the top. I honestly think Dead Space already has it beat as far as the core gameplay goes.

Papercuts said:
So, how does the ammo distribution work? It seems to only give it out to weapons you have in your inventory at the moment, right? When I had 4, it basically turned into getting a bunch of Plasma Cutter ammo and barely any for the rest. Now I only have 3, but stuff like Line Cutter ammo is pretty rare(though I can understand this, since the gun is super powerful). Is it best to stick to 2 weapons if I'm guessing right about the ammo?

I don't know if anyone knows for sure. Someone earlier in the thread guessed that ammo was distributed based on how much you used a certain weapon, which makes some sense. The obvious problem there is you'd be getting less ammo for weapons you use less, and you may be using those weapons less because of lack of ammo.

So yeah, it's still a mystery at this point.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Seiken said:
The version I played (PS3) was the worst experience ever.

Never reached 30 fps or above.
Controls were more clunky than the original game (and I liked that game a lot).
It was just too fucking dark (again, the darkness of the original was perfect)

But those complains are NOTHING compared to the real problem of Condemned 2; that oh-god-I-want-to-rip-my-hair-off-sound bug in the game. It ruined everything and I can't see anyone liking it.

Anyway, thanks for getting me off topic.
Well, i did play on 360, and never had a sound bug.....dont know what that is about. I didnt notice any framerate problems, played smooth for me, and i didnt have issue with the controls. There was one level with all the oil that was really dark, but it wasnt that bad through the whole game...

Edit; here is the problem you seem to be referring to. Wow that sucks.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2803.html

Movement

Zeliard said:
Maybe a lot of things. The game's insane. But it's a controlled kind of insane. Very tight and polished.

Is the obsidian suit the DLC suit or the default one?

The DLC one, the free one.

codecow

So, how does the ammo distribution work?

It uses a dynamic drop system which looks at your inventory as well as using authored weights per-weapon type to determine the drop chance and then selects randomly. It also looks to see what weapons are available at the store such that you will occasionally get ammo for guns you don't own yet to encourage you to buy/use them.

Zeliard

Eltacoman said:
The DLC one, the free one.

Not positive since I haven't used it, but people are saying that the DLC armor is already at level 5, so that would probably explain why it keeps telling you all those levels are already in your inventory. You can't go up any more levels, but you should still be able to upgrade it with nodes.

I hope you're playing on hard. :p I think that suit makes you pretty overpowered from the start, and medium isn't that difficult.

Yoshichan

~Kinggi~ said:
Well, i did play on 360, and never had a sound bug.....dont know what that is about. I didnt notice any framerate problems, played smooth for me, and i didnt have issue with the controls. There was one level with all the oil that was really dark, but it wasnt that bad through the whole game...

Edit; here is the problem you seem to be referring to. Wow that sucks.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2803.html
I know :(

Anyway Dead Space seems to be awesome as hell, can't wait for it to arrive... damn!

Movement

Zeliard said:
Not positive since I haven't used it, but people are saying that the DLC armor is already at level 5, so that would probably explain why it keeps telling you all those levels are already in your inventory. You can't go up any more levels, but you should still be able to upgrade it with nodes.

I hope you're playing on hard. :p I think that suit makes you pretty overpowered from the start, and medium isn't that difficult.

O you're right that must be it. Well I am playing on medium but I actually like really suck at games so I have to.
But like honestly the only difference I could tell was the look I dont seem stronger or anything..
I will replay the game on Hard next time though once I get used to it more, hopefully in a week since I'm only renting it. Thanks for answering.

Got my Ultra Limited Edition, earlier today.

I watched the movie before playing. Let me tell you right now, if you've watched the entirety of the comic - the movie is going to be AWESOME. It doesn't do anything revolutionary, but what is there is very high quality stuff. I wasn't disappointed at all.

I just boarded the Ishimura. HOLY CRAP! This game LOOKS AMAZING! Easily the best looking game I've played this generation. (Other than Crysis, obviously.)

The entire ULE package is very slick, by the way. I'll take some pictures of it - if you guys want.

Zeliard

Eltacoman said:
O you're right that must be it. Well I am playing on medium but I actually like really suck at games so I have to.
But like honestly the only difference I could tell was the look I dont seem stronger or anything..
I will replay the game on Hard next time though once I get used to it more, hopefully in a week since I'm only renting it. Thanks for answering.

I think what goes up when you level your suit up is the defense and the number of inventory slots, so you wouldn't get physically stronger or anything. But you should be taking a lot less damage than you normally would with a level 1 suit.

U K Narayan said:
I just boarded the Ishimura. HOLY CRAP! This game LOOKS AMAZING! Easily the best looking game I've played this generation. (Other than Crysis, obviously).

Agreed. Not to be a graphics whore or anything (its gameplay is great, regardless), but I don't think enough people are talking about Dead Space's graphics, especially relative to how much talk Killzone 2's visuals get. My jaw has dropped several times while playing. By a wide margin the best-looking console game of the gen, with its only real competition out of announced games being Gears 2 and Killzone 2.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I need to know if the locked rooms that can be unlocked with a power node are always ammo centric or if there's some nice surprises in some of them like schematics, etc.

Just how many nodes are there anyway in this game? enough to max everything or that'll never happen?

jaaz

Well, I'll tell you one thing. This game has the best looking corpses I've ever seen.
When I walked into the emergency room on the medical lab, I actually said out loud "WTF happened here?"
:lol

Buggy Loop said:
I need to know if the locked rooms that can be unlocked with a power node are always ammo centric or if there's some nice surprises in some of them like schematics, etc.

Just how many nodes are there anyway in this game? enough to max everything or that'll never happen?

I think I got an audio log from one, once.

Other than that, it's just lewt. A gold or ruby schematic here or there.

I always carry around one extra power node at all times as some of those loot rooms have come in handy right before a huge fight.

Yoshichan

Flunkie said:
Question for people who have finished it:

New Game+?
Yup. Though you can only continue on the same difficulty that you completed the game on.

EDIT: And yeah I think that's a good thing. Why would I want to go from Easy, upgrade everything to max, and then choose hard :/?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I played about an hour of it, and while I think the scare factor of this game was a bit overhyped (it has it's jumpy moments, but so far I don't find it that scary), the gameplay is awesome, the production values are top notch and the atmosphere is great. It's fully worth the asking price so far and it looks like it's definitely one of EA's best games ever.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Seiken said:

Should I continue?

First off, AC and Condemned 2 are FAR from "disgustingly bad". Second, Dead Space is much better than either of those.

Yoshichan

_tetsuo_ said:
First off, AC and Condemned 2 are FAR from "disgustingly bad". Second, Dead Space is much better than either of those.
Sir, that's all I wanted to read :)

great game so far. the opening
chase
part scared the shit out of me.

i was also curious to play the game to see how the gunplay felt. maybe someone can tell me what im talking ab out, but it seems like the great games have "weight" to the guns and the shots.

this game and bioshock have what i'm talking about. take a look at turok to see what im NOT talking about. it seems like every bullet/projectile matters here. in games like turok its like an arcade shooter type and it feels cheap and shitty. thats my problem with a lot of shooters.

great game so far!

Zeliard

jaaz said:
Well, I'll tell you one thing. This game has the best looking corpses I've ever seen.
When I walked into the emergency room on the medical lab, I actually said out loud "WTF happened here?"
:lol

I was surprised at the interactive physics, too. Early on while playing I randomly went up to some human corpse that had already been laying there, and I stomped on him thinking that like nearly every other game ever, either the body wouldn't react at all or it would just be nudged out of the way without blood or anything else of consequence.

I stomped and my right leg missed and landed right next to his neck, so I pressed the stomp button again and in the motion of stomping with the other foot, Isaac ended up twisting his right leg around in such a way that sent the corpse's head flying with blood squirting out of the neck. I didn't even stomp his head off. It was just Isaac's right leg twisting so quickly and at the perfect position to catch the head and twist it off. :lol

Yoshichan

FrenchMovieTheme said:
this game and bioshock have what i'm talking about. take a look at turok to see what im NOT talking about. it seems like every bullet/projectile matters here. in games like turok its like an arcade shooter type and it feels cheap and shitty. thats my problem with a lot of shooters.
Agreed.

Shit, I just remembered that Bioshock is out in a couple of days... this + Bioshock, wow... I won't be able to sleep :(

GSG Flash said:
I played about an hour of it, and while I think the scare factor of this game was a bit overhyped (it has it's jumpy moments, but so far I don't find it that scary)

Its definitely scarier than Bioshock and RE4.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Ok so after playing....all day....i've come to really really like this game like I did with resident evil 4. So here's the thing I really miss being able to counter enemys attacks and the occasional QTE to dodge. It's either you are able to kill from a good distance and youre fine or else you get overrun and you just got to take it for a couple hits before you can get away. this is my one and only gripe . I don't think I would want the game to play like res4 just because issac is in this clunky suit (especially in my level 4 suit :D) and I get he is not as agile as leon would be. just something I want to throw out there that i've noticed after playing all day.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
o man

going back through the medical center is tense. god damn regenerators are the devil

Bless Team rEAnegade.

wenis said:
Ok so after playing....all day....i've come to really really like this game like I did with resident evil 4. So here's the thing I really miss being able to counter enemys attacks and the occasional QTE to dodge. It's either you are able to kill from a good distance and youre fine or else you get overrun and you just got to take it for a couple hits before you can get away.

Stasis is your friend.

As well as melee attacks. Two well-timed swings will knock most mobs back long enough for you to get the fuck outta Dodge.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
bigdaddygamebot said:
Stasis is your friend.

As well as melee attacks. Two well-timed swings will knock most mobs back long enough for you to get the fuck outta Dodge.

dude I know stasis is something I should be using more often, but I just dont.

wenis said:
dude I know stasis is something I should be using more often, but I just dont.

Thats the thing about this game, they do give you a bunch of tools to use. Its just that you have to learn to play this game as more than just a shooter.

Actually thats my problem as well, i barely use any stasis or melee. Just keep trying to gun the monsters down as they rush me.

Top Bottom