• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool & Wolverine Open Spoilers Thread

Deanington

The movie was just straight up entertaining. The rest of the audience was great too. lots of laughs and a few cheers when Blade showed up. This Deadpool is up there with GOTG as far as theater experience goes. It was just a really fun movie.

I also love how Ryan Renolds really gave Hugh Jackman his flowers. On top of RR pretty much trying to save the fox timelines/helping the others that got pruned/voided.

Question though, Deadpool time jumped from 616 to Logans Earth ( forgot the number ) and re-lived part of his life there, correct? Did I miss how long he was there? Vanessa mentions getting shot plus Xforce being there, so at least since DP 2? Did I also miss why they really broke up, because it seemed out of character for her reasoning being he doesn't do things that matter, or whatever.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The movie was just straight up entertaining. The rest of the audience was great too. lots of laughs and a few cheers when Blade showed up. This Deadpool is up there with GOTG as far as theater experience goes. It was just a really fun movie.

I also love how Ryan Renolds really gave Hugh Jackman his flowers. On top of RR pretty much trying to save the fox timelines/helping the others that got pruned/voided.

Question though, Deadpool time jumped from 616 to Logans Earth ( forgot the number ) and re-lived part of his life there, correct? Did I miss how long he was there? Vanessa mentions getting shot plus Xforce being there, so at least since DP 2? Did I also miss why they really broke up, because it seemed out of character for her reasoning being he doesn't do things that matter, or whatever.
Snipes made a camero!? I mean, Cameo* :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Yes you missed all that. It's all explained in the movie. When he was using Cable's time travel device to change his past and make everyone who died in DP2 come back he jumped to the 616 universe to try to join the Avengers. Then he went home and lived there until present day. And it showed Vanessa breaking up with him.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Right now it's easily breaking the R-rated record at $180M in the US, but they're saying it could go above $200M. Which would mean it debuts with more than $300M WW.

Deanington

Yes you missed all that. It's all explained in the movie. When he was using Cable's time travel device to change his past and make everyone who died in DP2 come back he jumped to the 616 universe to try to join the Avengers. Then he went home and lived there until present day. And it showed Vanessa breaking up with him.

Got it, my confusion was showing him in 616, so I thought the 616/sacred timeline was his timeline. So once he got rejected from Avengers he did another time jump to 10005 to start over again/settle. Which now that I thought about it does not make sense for his timeline to be 616 for obvious cinematic reasons.

ManaByte

Gold Member
DISNEY BOSSES ARE SCARED OF MAKING $1B+!!!!!!

disney-bosses-are-scared-of-the-success-of-the-movie-they-v0-vlkdt0hih2fd1.png

Fucking Pakled grifters.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Overall the movie was a bit weak… but my god was that finale with Deadpool and Wolverine holding hands saving the world so perfectly edited, so perfectly timed, so perfectly scored and visually amazing that I can forgive all other faults. That 45 seconds made the movie and it was so perfect.

Last edited:

RaduN

Loved it.

I honestly didn't expect to like it so much. Laughed with tears, with tears.
Even my gf (she has zero interest in super heroes movies, but likes the actors...who doesn't really?) loved it and laughed loudly.

The ending even got me a bit. A really really well done movie (though bit confusing in terms of actual plot in the begining), incredibly self aware and with a perfect chemistry betwen characters.

Entertainment value 10/10

Oh, and the choice of songs was fucking amazing!

Pagusas

Elden Member
Loved it.

I honestly didn't expect to like it so much. Laughed with tears, with tears.
Even my gf (she has zero interest in super heroes movies, but likes the actors...who doesn't really?) loved it and laughed loudly.

The ending even got me a bit. A really really well done movie (though bit confusing in terms of actual plot in the begining), incredibly self aware and with a perfect chemistry betwen characters.

Entertainment value 10/10

Oh, and the choice of songs was fucking amazing!
My wife loved it too and isn't into super hero movies, but my favorite part of the movie was hearing my wife cry laughing out loud when Wolves and DP are fighting in the car and when they hit the radio the Greatest Showman song starts playing. I've never head her laugh so hard, it was endearing and wonderful.

Jinzo Prime

I liked it; I was surprisingly impressed with Cassandra Cain's actress. I wish Charles would have had a small scene with her before the end, but oh well. Plot was not this movie's strong suit.

Guessing this is the next billion dollar Marvel movie.

I find it interesting how Spider-Man No Way Home is the only MCU movie to make over a billion past Phase Three. I think going forward Marvel Studios should just make Movies and Shows for their bigger IPs. Let the lesser known heroes show up in those movies and shows. Like Falcon and Black Panther showing up in The Winter Soldier and Civil War in a massive capacity. Not every heroes need their own movie or show. They just work better as supporting characters

Anyone else love that Deadpool right out said how much this phase of marvel movies and the multiverse suck.
The jokes were funny but in a weird way those jokes are both self-aware and unaware because this movie is essentially the same Phase 4 slop they're making fun of. This movie is nothing without its multiverse cameos and fan service.

But judging from the box office performance, maybe fan service is all the MCU needs at this point. Keep paying Hugh Jackman and RDJ until the wheels fall off lol

Doom85

My confusion is the movie seems to suggest Logan (2017) is set in Deadpool’s universe which doesn’t make sense. Like, at first I thought they were saying they were separate since Wade went to a bunch of different Wolverines trying to find one that would work with him, but then IIRC some dialogue Wade said suggests Wolverine did die saving Laura in his universe which would make the audience think the Logan film did take place in Deadpool’s universe.

Which doesn’t make sense because:

-this film confirms Deadpool 2 took place in 2018. Six years pass so thats mean this movie is in 2024 at least for Wade’s universe. But Logan (the movie) was set in 2029
-Logan (*sigh*, the movie) states no new mutants had emerged for 25 years. So zero new mutants since 2004. Since the mutant gene awakens during puberty, the presence of Negasonic (who was a teen in Deadpool 1) and Yukio would contradict that.

Like, I always thought it made sense that the timeline of the main X-men films created by the end of Days of Future Past and the Deadpool movies were set in the same world (there is the James McAvoy era cameos in Deadpool 2 which doesn’t make sense if it’s 2018 but I figured that was meant to be a fun joke not caring about continuity, and the clearly different versions of Colossus is just a minor inconsistency) and that Logan (the MOVIE) was set entirely in its own universe. I dunno, maybe Wade just saw the Wolverine from Logan (MOVIE!) as HIS Wolverine even if it’s not actually his Wolverine, that would be on brand for Wade though it begs the question why Wade failed to recruit his own Wolverine if it is the main X-men movies one as by the epilogue of Days of Future Past, Logan had truly found peace so I can’t see him turning down helping Wade even if the latter was being really annoying about it

Also, for those who know the comics even more than me, was the Logan who was crucified on a giant X surrounded by a sea of skulls from a specific comic? That was some striking imagery.

Thought is was pretty bad

I haven’t seen Deadpool 2, I forgot how meta/self aware it was. Right from the get go you know that that conflict, villains, etc doesn’t matter; they just messing around. Felt like I was watching a Wolverine/deadpool YouTube video, specifically made for fan service screenshots and nothing else

Alcibiades

Just saw it at an AMC lieMAX 1:00am showing. Not too many people there which is what I prefer, otherwise would have tried for a true IMAX Dual Laser.

Loved the film, especially the dialogue, character, actors, action, music, and homage to past movies.

The only reasons I'd downgrade this from being a masterpiece is the runtime going just a tad too long, and all the MCU Time Variant stuff that was completely unnecessary and dragged down and otherwise fun movie. I loved all the crossover stuff except the tie-ins to MCU.

Keep the story mostly the same, but make it about the various Fox-era universes (Xmen/Deadpool, FF, Daredevil, etc...) and this would have been perfect as a one-time crossover. I think the reason the cameos work is that these are mostly dead franchises and is seemingly one-time. Once you bring MCU into it it's a whole other monster that is still going on and is getting way too complicated (and should have taken a long break after Endgame).

The Loki stuff made the movie longer and there was way too much explanation happening. The Chris Evans joke would have to be slightly reworked if they removed the Loki stuff but hey it's Deadpool so 4th-wall-breaking references to MCU would still make sense as long as movie at its core was still separate from it.

I'd love to see a Deadpool 4 (or other Xmen movie) that explores the post-DP2/post-Logan/post-DoFP universe. But only every few years not 3-4 a year like we've been drowning in recently with MCU and DCEU.

I've enjoyed some of the recent MCU stuff like Shang-Chi, Eternals and Thor 4, but the experiences are less memorable due to oversaturation.

The only other slight "negative" is that every Wolverine vs Deadpool fight you knew wasn't going anywhere. Unlike the Civil War Captain America vs. Iron Man where there could only be one winner and it seemed a lot was at stake. Still the fights were fun and hilarious and sometimes inventive like the fight in the car.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
My confusion is the movie seems to suggest Logan (2017) is set in Deadpool’s universe which doesn’t make sense. Like, at first I thought they were saying they were separate since Wade went to a bunch of different Wolverines trying to find one that would work with him, but then IIRC some dialogue Wade said suggests Wolverine did die saving Laura in his universe which would make the audience think the Logan film did take place in Deadpool’s universe.

Which doesn’t make sense because:

-this film confirms Deadpool 2 took place in 2018. Six years pass so thats mean this movie is in 2024 at least for Wade’s universe. But Logan (the movie) was set in 2029
-Logan (*sigh*, the movie) states no new mutants had emerged for 25 years. So zero new mutants since 2004. Since the mutant gene awakens during puberty, the presence of Negasonic (who was a teen in Deadpool 1) and Yukio would contradict that.

Like, I always thought it made sense that the timeline of the main X-men films created by the end of Days of Future Past and the Deadpool movies were set in the same world (there is the James McAvoy era cameos in Deadpool 2 which doesn’t make sense if it’s 2018 but I figured that was meant to be a fun joke not caring about continuity, and the clearly different versions of Colossus is just a minor inconsistency) and that Logan (the MOVIE) was set entirely in its own universe. I dunno, maybe Wade just saw the Wolverine from Logan (MOVIE!) as HIS Wolverine even if it’s not actually his Wolverine, that would be on brand for Wade though it begs the question why Wade failed to recruit his own Wolverine if it is the main X-men movies one as by the epilogue of Days of Future Past, Logan had truly found peace so I can’t see him turning down helping Wade even if the latter was being really annoying about it

Also, for those who know the comics even more than me, was the Logan who was crucified on a giant X surrounded by a sea of skulls from a specific comic? That was some striking imagery.

Fox's X-Men movies including Deadpool and Logan were always in the same universe, but their timeline and continuity was always fucked up.

Deadpool 2 was set in present day, but it had the 1983 X-Men Apocalypse X-Men in it. Fox never cared about continuity.

Doom85

Fox's X-Men movies including Deadpool and Logan were always in the same universe, but their timeline and continuity was always fucked up.

Deadpool 2 was set in present day, but it had the 1983 X-Men Apocalypse X-Men in it. Fox never cared about continuity.

Well, unfortunately for them I say Logan HAS to be in its own timeline. Like, the 25 years bit makes it IMPOSSIBLE to fit in any way.

Actually, yeah, found it:

I know the director said it was the same timeline, but I think he didn’t put much thought into that statement, he was like, “it’s five years after DOFP, we have freedom to do what we want.” LOL, yeah no, you can do what you want, but there’s too much continuity errors for that to work, it’s like anyone trying to claim X-men Origins: Wolverine was canon anymore even before DOFP‘s new timeline.

Alcibiades

The Xmen movies (including Deadpool, Logan, and New Mutants) are the same universe but have inconsistent continuity because they didn't have a Kevin Fiege-type person overseeing things. This happened because each movie had a director, producer(s), and/or writer(s) that wanted to own the vision for a film and continuity was generally not a priority.

While this results in some conflicting storylines, it also results in wildly difference types of movies (XMen, Deadpool, New Mutants, Logan, etc...). MCU while great in continuity are all generally the same type of film. Even it's supposed foray into "horror" with Dr. Strange 2 played it safe and didn't stray too much from the formula.

The DCEU had some continuity issues but is still considered the same universe. And James Gunn is about to make things a whole lot more confusing because it seems like some movies will belong to both the DCEU and the DCU. And some actors will continue and some won't. Even Marvel has some small continuity issues (like Gamora's origin).

The Xmen universe unfortunately has major continuity issues but overall are considered the same universe despite dialogue and stories that suggest otherwise.

Within the Xmen movie universe the timeline did get a reset with Days of Future Past, so you could say there was a timeline there that no longer exists. Everything leading up to the 70's intervention by time-traveling Wolverine happened in the past of Xmen 1, 2 and 3. The inconsistencies bothered me a bit at times but now I keep in mind that the intent was a fully shared universe and the willingness to retcon and be less faithful to a strict canon gave did give us some great films like First Class, Days of Future Past, Logan and Deadpool movies. I even appreciated New Mutants for trying something really different even if the execution wasn't quite there.

It's hard for me to imagine how quickly things go from The Wolverine post-credit scene to Days of Future Past in only a few years. Or how the positive reset ending of DoFP becomes the Logan world soon after. I don't let it bother me anymore and pretty much go with the flow and I'm grateful Fox was willing to take chances.

I'll take a diverse slate of movies with inconsistent canon over similarly-styled movies with perfect consistent canon.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Great movie! I was entertained. It was absolutely ridiculous but in way that made sense and owned it. I wasn't expecting Blade.

Is the X23 in Deadpool & Wolverine supposed to be the same one from Logan, or a different one?

ManaByte

Gold Member
And James Gunn is about to make things a whole lot more confusing because it seems like some movies will belong to both the DCEU and the DCU. And some actors will continue and some won't.

No, the continuity is reset with Creature Commandos. Blue Beetle will exist in the DCU as well as Peacemaker and Waller, but the Blue Beetle movie and Peacemaker Season 1 aren't canon to the DCU.

Is the X23 in Deadpool & Wolverine supposed to be the same one from Logan, or a different one?

Same one, just from the future.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Same one, just from the future.

Gotcha. It seemed like that was supposed to be the case, but the timelines didn't match up. But then again, they have time machines and dimensional rifts, and the FOX timeline is all sorts of fucked sideways anyway, so it is what it is.

First time I've been to a movie theater in about 4 or 5 years. My buddy begged me to go with him and I did begrudgingly. I really enjoyed it. My favorite of the 3 movies. Fan service galore and just a great time. I thought it was very funny. Really loved the dunking on Disney, I'm surprised they let them do it tbh. I've been so disinterested in the MCU over the last few years because of the flood of mediocre content from them, but this has me at least a little interested in stepping my toe back into the water.

Doom85

Oh, and the Rob Liefeld "just feet" visual gag in the background during the Deadpool Burly Brawl was fuckin' ace.

IIRC, Liefeld loved the joke in Deadpool 2 when Wade is complaining about Domino’s power: “I mean, luck? Luck?! Who was so lazy that they thought that up for a power? Probably a guy who can’t draw feet!”

Dude can roll with the punches, there was also in the 2010’s a new run of the Youngblood comic under a different writer (that Liefield originally invented back in the 90’s, and like pretty much everything he does, it was infamous for being nothing but muscles and guns and zero story/characterization). And the top review quote of the trade of this new Youngblood run? “This is easily the best Youngblood has even been.” - Rob Liefeld

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
IIRC, Liefield loved the joke in Deadpool 2 when Wade is complaining about Domino’s power: “I mean, luck? Luck?! Who was so lazy that they thought that up for a power? Probably a guy who can’t draw feet!”

Dude can roll with the punches, there was also in the 2010’s a new run of the Youngblood comic (that Liefield originally invented back in the 90’s, and like pretty much everything he does, it was infamous for being nothing but muscles and guns and zero story/characterization). And the top review quote of the trade of this new Youngblood run? “This is easily the best Youngblood has even been.” - Rob Liefield

I still can't believe the number of blind people who line up for his autograph at cons.

Doom85

I still can't believe the number of blind people who line up for his autograph at cons.

Hey, I’m not a fan of his work, but there are people who find the idea of a comic being nothing but violence and having zero substance appealing. He is kind of a wild card when it comes to fans from what I heard, like there have been stories of him treating them very kindly, but other stories of him doing less great stuff such as breaking promises about appearances (like, “get this many signs on a petition and I’ll show up!”) with no explanation from him.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hey, I’m not a fan of his work, but there are people who find the idea of a comic being nothing but violence and having zero substance appealing. He is kind of a wild card when it comes to fans from what I heard, like there have been stories of him treating them very kindly, but other stories of him doing less great stuff such as breaking promises about appearances (like, “get this many signs on a petition and I’ll show up!”) with no explanation from him.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They appear in a short scene together but don't fight.

You see the start of the fight. It's Wolverine in his brown costume. Deadpool says "Oooh, classic John Byrne brown, didn't you fight the..." and he's cut off by the Hulk and you see him reflected in Wolverine's claws.

Davevil

Overall the movie was a bit weak… but my god was that finale with Deadpool and Wolverine holding hands saving the world so perfectly edited, so perfectly timed, so perfectly scored and visually amazing that I can forgive all other faults. That 45 seconds made the movie and it was so perfect.
are you serious? 45 seconds of nonsense that seems to come out of an episode of power rangers :lol:

Top Bottom