• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Coconutt

I think I’m about to enter chapter 3 heading to port knot city. I suck at avoiding BTs so hard. Been looking up tips and understand it a bit better, but could use some help if anyone on GAF has any advice.

If you start seeing the orange handprints, immediately hold your breath and start moving away, they won't follow you. You can also pre-emptively kill BTs by just throwing a grenade at them, scan and if you see an outline, aim the grenade until you see that it will hit the BT, you can do this before being detected. Like others mentioned, if the tar shows up immediately piss around you or throw a grenade at the tar, should make it go away.

Last edited:
I think I’m about to enter chapter 3 heading to port knot city. I suck at avoiding BTs so hard. Been looking up tips and understand it a bit better, but could use some help if anyone on GAF has any advice.
Hold L1 to see exactly where the odradek is pointing at. It's specially useful in tight spaces or when you have a lot of cargo on your back.

When you crouch, scan the area so BTs stay visible for a little longer.

You can walk around BTs. But if the odradek starts blinking fast, crouch. If it starts to spin, hold your breath. And try to walk away.

If all else fails, just pee on them.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
running a mission right now where I need to collect a bunch of junk in a BT laden spooky bombed out area. I travel everywhere with two floating carriers as I build up the roads. loaded up with ceramics on my way out but i dumped them all off at an Auto-Paver like 20m away. before i reached the ruins i noticed an inverted rainbow and soon enough it started to rain. thank the porter who built a Timefall Shelter there! they placed it right at the top of a hill, with the target area & BTs at the bottom. it was the perfect lookout spot, chosen by a previous player probably due to it's strategic advantages. it was a safe place to leave my gear and close enough to my objective. hell yeah i was glad that was there!

so i gave like 300 Likes to the delivery person hero pioneer who came before me and made my life just a bit easier. then i pulled up the floaters and parked them around the shelter while i pillage this spooky ruins. this is a SIDE OP more or less. yet it is no mere fetch quest, it is brimming with all the emergent gameplay opportunities.

the world is somewhat procedural, yet there is so much attention to detail, to level design. there are all these wonderfully constructed linear sections cultivated within the open world whole. plus they straight up lets you and all your friends brake it anyways! there is a unique humor in sneaking in to this super intense area and coming upon a glowing ladder someone before you left. the levels are dynamic, ever-changing, the world itself is coming to life, in a way not really done much before. truly remarkable.

Last edited:
Just a tip if not everyone noticed but once BT's gets you and it triggers a fight, you can just run away outside the limit of the combat zone and it ends. No need to drain yourself dry for 5 minutes.

I've done that a couple times. But it really is only worth it when you are not carrying much. If you had a huge load with you, might as well just reload the last save point because all that shit is scattered and ruined.

Thats why I always rest just outside a BT infested area to create a manual save point before going in.

Also some BT areas are far easier than others. Some I just drive a vehicle right through if I am careful.

Terenty

Questions:

1) when you connect a region to the chiral network and see all these tools and structures left by other players, can other new structures by players appear in time or they stay the same as they appeared for the first time?

2) Has it happened to anyone that some other players completed a road? In my experience i built the vast majority of roads, some of them even had 0 resources in them and i had to build it myself from scratch. I had only 2 roads completed by other players and it happened when i only began the 3rd chapter.

I wonder how the system works for other players.

GymWolf

Gold Member
So i'm at the end of chap 13
when the blonde chick gave me her "explanations" lol
how much do i have left?

Mista

Banned
So i'm at the end of chap 13
when the blonde chick gave me her "explanations" lol
how much do i have left?
If I’m not mistaken the game has 14 chapters so pretty much you’re at the end + 2 hours end game cutscene. I’m still at chapter 8 so I don’t know how accurate is what I said

GymWolf

Gold Member
Thanks, curiois to see if kojima can explain the gigantic quantity of mumbo jumbo that i heard in the previois 43 hours...

Holy shit the plot in this game is a fucking mess :ROFLMAO:

Bryank75

Banned
Thanks, curiois to see if kojima can explain the gigantic quantity of mumbo jumbo that i heard in the previois 43 hours...

The exposition confuses people but the plot should make sense. There are videos explaining it if you have any problems or things your forgot etc...

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year

I finished it and understood everything pretty well.
Although I have to say that I had a pretty good understanding of the overall plot when I reached chapter 13, therefore I'm interested what you'll think after reaching the end.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I finished it and understood everything pretty well.
Although I have to say that I had a pretty good understanding of the overall plot when I reached chapter 13, therefore I'm interested what you'll think after reaching the end.
I heard that the explanation dump will begin exactly where i left yesterday.

The general plor is not that hard to understand, it's basically everything else that is messy.

And i usually fucking love mgs contrived plots...

psorcerer

Banned
Questions:

1) when you connect a region to the chiral network and see all these tools and structures left by other players, can other new structures by players appear in time or they stay the same as they appeared for the first time?

2) Has it happened to anyone that some other players completed a road? In my experience i built the vast majority of roads, some of them even had 0 resources in them and i had to build it myself from scratch. I had only 2 roads completed by other players and it happened when i only began the 3rd chapter.

1) New things are built all the time.
2) Yes. Other players completed roads for me.

It seems though that it's really rare to see anything new to come up in real time.
Usually when I leave PS4 in sleep mode new structures come up.

1) New things are built all the time.
2) Yes. Other players completed roads for me.

It seems though that it's really rare to see anything new to come up in real time.
Usually when I leave PS4 in sleep mode new structures come up.

Because the number of other players' structures we can see is limited, I always make sure to dismantle every useless structure I come across. I don't know whether or not that makes a difference.

Shantae

Banned
I don't know if I can keep playing this for now...I got it at release, and I played up through to Chapter 9, but this past few days I ended up getting really sick, which isn't the game's fault, but I was so sick that I was at the point that I was just having really trippy dreams and such. I had played so much Death Stranding, and was using Zip lines in the mountain area of the central region so much, that while I was sick, it was like invading my dreams to an uncomfortable extent. My mind was literally taking the pain and nausea I felt, and representing them as packages that I was trying to unload them in different regions. It was messed up. After that though, I just don't even know if I wanna look at the game anymore. At the same time, I just kinda want it to end.

I'm starting to feel similarly to this game that I ended up feeling about The Phantom Pain...Kojima should not do open world games, because what starts as kinda fun, becomes very repetitive busy work to the point where the fun seems to disappear completely for me. Up to Chapter 9 so far, I still don't even know how I feel about the story. I don't know if I'm supposed to be reading more to understand the lore of the world, but I don't want to do friggin' reading. What sucks though is at this point in the game, I still don't really know what event the Death Stranding was other than an event that led to the world the way it is. I also understand Higgs is a scumbag, but I don't like it when I don't understand a villain's motivation this far into a game.

Last edited:

TheBoss1

I don't know if I can keep playing this for now...I got it at release, and I played up through to Chapter 9, but this past few days I ended up getting really sick, which isn't the game's fault, but I was so sick that I was at the point that I was just having really trippy dreams and such. I had played so much Death Stranding, and was using Zip lines in the mountain area of the central region so much, that while I was sick, it was like invading my dreams to an uncomfortable extent. My mind was literally taking the pain and nausea I felt, and representing them as packages that I was trying to unload them in different regions. It was messed up. After that though, I just don't even know if I wanna look at the game anymore. At the same time, I just kinda want it to end.

I'm starting to feel similarly to this game that I ended up feeling about The Phantom Pain...Kojima should not do open world games, because what starts as kinda fun, becomes very repetitive busy work to the point where the fun seems to disappear completely for me. Up to Chapter 9 so far, I still don't even know how I feel about the story. I don't know if I'm supposed to be reading more to understand the lore of the world, but I don't want to do friggin' reading. What sucks though is at this point in the game, I still don't really know what event the Death Stranding was other than an event that led to the world the way it is. I also understand Higgs is a scumbag, but I don't like it when I don't understand a villain's motivation this far into a game.
Just quit. Don't force yourself through anything you're not having fun with.

cucuchu

I get most of my gaming in at night and as such I've been playing DS with my 5 week old son in my lap while my wife gets some sleep (he absolutely has to be held all the time or gets fussy, even while sleeping). Had to turn off BB from coming through the controller because BB's crying woke up my real baby and I had to deal with both of them fussing so if you want your ultra hard mode there you go.

ethomaz

Banned
Questions:

I have a guess.
The link you choose in the network has preference to show stuff... I have 30 peers link.

I'm making tests yet.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Saw the Angry Joe review, he didn’t recommend it due to the gameplay which he gave I think 6 out of 10.

Personally I find the gameplay immensely fun. This is my favourite open world 3rd person game of all time. The gameplay is not lacking either, it is so so immersive and deep. It is always changing, as you explore and connect more and more places you are given a strand of tools continuously expanding traversal options.

GTA: SA I would put at no 2, and it succeeded so well at taking a player through pretty basic gameplay loops (travelling somewhere then doing x) using realistic gameplay immersion techniques and constantly upping traversal options. You begin that game manually peddling a bike and end it flying military aircraft & jet packs hovering over your mansion. That sense of progression is here and is just as satisfying. Even more so given that Death Stranding has seamless relatively low latency control scheme for a cinematic open worlder.

So I love the gameplay. Most games ignore traversal, you simply walk trough pretty scenery that has enemy assets placed in it. The gameplay happens when you encounter an enemy. Here, the world IS the enemy. It can harm you or even kill you if you don’t reconcile with it’s challenges. Luckily the game is all about bestowing a whole treasure box of options to use. 10/10 gameplay for me

Yes, terrible. So disappointed.

At the never-ending first credits roll, when Amelie explained everything once again, I just wanted to bring out the revolver and shoot myself.
Her character was so annoying that I wanted to shoot her badly during the hug scene too..

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Saw the Angry Joe review, he didn’t recommend it due to the gameplay which he gave I think 6 out of 10.

Personally I find the gameplay immensely fun. This is my favourite open world 3rd person game of all time. The gameplay is not lacking either, it is so so immersive and deep. It is always changing, as you explore and connect more and more places you are given a strand of tools continuously expanding traversal options.

GTA: SA I would put at no 2, and it succeeded so well at taking a player through pretty basic gameplay loops (travelling somewhere then doing x) using realistic gameplay immersion techniques and constantly upping traversal options. You begin that game manually peddling a bike and end it flying military aircraft & jet packs hovering over your mansion. That sense of progression is here and is just as satisfying. Even more so given that Death Stranding has seamless relatively low latency control scheme for a cinematic open worlder.

So I love the gameplay. Most games ignore traversal, you simply walk trough pretty scenery that has enemy assets placed in it. The gameplay happens when you encounter an enemy. Here, the world IS the enemy. It can harm you or even kill you if you don’t reconcile with it’s challenges. Luckily the game is all about bestowing a whole treasure box of options to use. 10/10 gameplay for me
It was a bit weird because he says he loved the game.
Give 7/10 overall.
4/10 to the gameplay.

BTW I found the gameplay the strongest part of DS... well I'm at Episode 3 so I'm early in the story.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just broke the 40 hour mark in the Heartman episode (9?). Still loving the game and having a blast connecting the mountains with zip line routes to make deliveries super easy. Oh, and snowboarding can be a lot of fun, too!

Corpsepyre

Banned
It's been a few days since I've finished this, and I can't seem to get it out of my head. The ending really hit me like a sack of bricks. I really want to experience it all again. It's like when I finished GoW, and I couldn't think about much else or wanted to play any other game and just HAD to re-do the game immediately.

JTCx

It's been a few days since I've finished this, and I can't seem to get it out of my head. The ending really hit me like a sack of bricks. I really want to experience it all again. It's like when I finished GoW, and I couldn't think about much else or wanted to play any other game and just HAD to re-do the game immediately.
I feel you on the whole ending and whole overarching plot. A lot of stuff starts to make sense. Thats the moment you know for sure this game was something special.

Terenty

Is there a way to split resources or to add certain amount of it to the road instead of dumping 1000 or 600?

And can you skip time to avoid timefall?

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Is there a way to split resources or to add certain amount of it to the road instead of dumping 1000 or 600?

And can you skip time to avoid timefall?
Yeah, recycle them at terminals. Then claim them back in smaller batches.

Yes, you can skip time to avoid timefall.

Thats the moment you know for sure this game was something special.

Sorry but how exactly? That was the moment when the game and Kojima "genius image" died for me...

Bridget and Amelie are the same person (known since the start of the game). She's not your real mother. Cliff is your father. You're his BB. Your BB is your daughter... It's like the worst indian soap opera.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sorry but how exactly? That was the moment when the game and Kojima "genius image" died for me...

Bridget and Amelie are the same person (known since the start of the game). She's not your real mother. Cliff is your father. You're his BB. Your BB is your daughter... It's like the worst indian soap opera.

But where else would you get anything of that magnitude?

molasar

Banned

Somebody spoiled you a game or you are a visionary? Cliff is a biological Sam's father and his mother was brain dead. Sam's daughter died in a voidout. Here is some good soap opera

Last edited:
Top Bottom